Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would be the best Liverpool captain?

Gerrard
      (57.9%)
      Carragher
      (28.9%)
      Someone else
      (13.2%)

Gerrard and his captain role

Read 20372 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,224 posts | 1649 
      Gerrard and his captain role
      Mar 27, 2007 07:37:16 pm
      Who do you think should be captain?

Should Gerrard be our captain? I mean he is a great leader when he wants to be but too many times this season he has not been showing any great leadership. Carra on the other hand is the complete opposite, he plays every game like his last game or a cup final, he has been a great leader in every game for us, and perhaps if we changed the captain it would show all the players that Rafa is not afraid to make the big desicions and might make these f***ing players open there eyes.

(mods could you add a poll to this please) --- done  ;)
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007 08:56:26 pm by Liverbird »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: Should Gerrard be captain?
      Reply #1: Mar 27, 2007 08:08:31 pm
      Who do you want as captain?

Should Gerrard be our captain? I mean he is a great leader when he wants to be but too many times this season he has not been showing any great leadership. Carra on the other hand is the complete opposite, he plays every game like his last game or a cup final, he has been a great leader in every game for us, and perhaps if we changed the captain it would show all the players that Rafa is not afraid to make the big desicions and might make these f***ing players open there eyes.

(mods could you add a poll to this please) --- done  ;)

Istanbul and the FA cup final must tell you mate that Gerrard is the only man for the job, he has single handedly dragged the team into winning positions when all is lost on numerous occasions. I dont think its a case of him showing bad leadership at times I just think he has bad games like everyone else and finds it hard to balance getting the team moving and playing a part himself, this is something he must work at nonstop. I also think Carra would do a good job as Captain but can you really see Rafa Saying "Listen Stevie your playing bad your heads down so im stripping you of the captaincy?" that would just not work with him, Gerrard will only lose the armband if he leaves the club and I dont see that happening anytime soon.
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007 08:09:42 pm by Glenbuck »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Mar 27, 2007 08:29:44 pm
      IMO Carragher is the one i've always liked to be captain, he is a strong character and never says die no matter what the situation is.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #3: Mar 27, 2007 08:31:11 pm
      Gerrard with out doubt
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,224 posts | 1649 
      Reply #4: Mar 27, 2007 08:33:53 pm
      Istanbul and the FA cup final must tell you mate that Gerrard is the only man for the job, he has single handedly dragged the team into winning positions when all is lost on numerous occasions. I dont think its a case of him showing bad leadership at times I just think he has bad games like everyone else and finds it hard to balance getting the team moving and playing a part himself, this is something he must work at nonstop. I also think Carra would do a good job as Captain but can you really see Rafa Saying "Listen Stevie your playing bad your heads down so im stripping you of the captaincy?" that would just not work with him, Gerrard will only lose the armband if he leaves the club and I dont see that happening anytime soon.
      I know where your coming from mate but he just hasn't shown any good leadership qualitys at all this season, and if we want to win the PL we are going to need a leader who is there every game, even in jamies bad games he is always showing leadership qualities.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #5: Mar 27, 2007 08:46:11 pm
      ooohhh - a controversial topic!

My thoughts have always been that it was wrong for Gerrard to remain Captain after the whole Chelsea - willl he wont he 24 hours.

Rafa should have made Jamie Carragher the captain that day.

Steven Gerrard may be our best player. But my view is that Jamie Carragher would be a better choice for Captain.  Stevie's done a great job, he sometimes does lead by example, but so does JC.  Maybe the captaincy restricts SG's creativity? I don't know.  I've always liked centre-halves being captains.
      ASF
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts |
      • Lets get a kitty
      Reply #6: Mar 27, 2007 08:47:02 pm
      Carragher would make a good captain but my vote goes to Gerrard.

He has great leadership and there's no need to repeat what people above said as I totally agree.  Gerrard may be having a less prolific season than others but he's hardly been playing badly. 

Leave JC to do the fantastic job he's doing already.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Mar 27, 2007 08:57:35 pm
      When Stevie was made the Captain, I wasn't sure that he was ready to take on that responsibility, but he proved me wrong and has become a great leader of our team, you can't get a better vice-captain than Jamie C, and one day I would love to see him get his chance, if Stevie wasn't at Liverpool or if he'd had left, then for sure JC certainly would be the captain. :)
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #8: Mar 27, 2007 09:54:12 pm
      gerrard is the captain, is representative of liverpool
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,224 posts | 1649 
      Reply #9: Mar 27, 2007 10:11:06 pm
      gerrard is the captain, is representative of liverpool
      yes we all know that! were debating who would be a better captain!
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #10: Mar 27, 2007 10:29:59 pm
      Gerrard has + capacity of leadership
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Mar 27, 2007 10:38:09 pm
      Good thread Liverbird!
      I think to give Carra the armband wouldn't make any difference in any way. He plays the game, roars at the players and leads from example, just the way a true captain should be! That's just they way he is naturally. I think if Gerrard was playing in the position he loves then he would probably be a better captain than he has been this season. But there is no doubt he can really lift players when it comes to the crunch, as it's been proven on so many occasions. I have to say, I'm quite undecided.
      Probably best to leave it the way it is. We have two captains in that case. Instead of one  ;)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #12: Mar 27, 2007 11:42:46 pm
      Carragher is Fort Knox in defense and Gerrard is the Battering Ram in attack, both exceptional players with their unique characters. I think a captain should always play central, either in defense or midfield.
       Gerrards' influence is lacking (I think) while he is played out on the wing. We all know he favors the middle of the park and his performances reflect that and maybe it's showing in his captaincy.
       Carragher on the other hand is a colossus in defense and is like the infamous Duracell bunny, he just keeps going and going and going. Ever Ready.
       I'd never questioned it before as people rightly point out Stevies' influence in Istanbul & Cardiff were immense, without doubt he dragged us to the final whistle but so did JC especially in Istanbul!
       It's a close one to call but it's as you were for me, 2 captains really - 1 in defense, 1 in midfield. Both proud Scousers, both proud to wear the Red shirt.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #13: Mar 27, 2007 11:48:52 pm
      I just want to get one thing straight.

Steven Gerrard was a born red, but twice he thought of leaving us!

Jamie Carragher was a born blue, but now he would not leave us even if a shotgun was put to his head!

Our best player in Istanbul was not Gerrard, it was Carragher.. how many blocks and last ditch tackles did he make? its countless and he was running on zero even with cramp. After Istanbul Carra should of been Captain because of the Chelsea saga with Steven Gerrard. It still bugs me to know that Gerrard was minutes away from signing for Chelsea, Carragher would not even think about it.

Gerrard is a good captain, but Carragher is a much stronger character belive you me
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 27, 2007 11:49:16 pm
      i don't think there has to be one set captain. chelsea trades back and forth, so maybe we can learn from some experience. maybe rafa could change them out every once and a while to let both of them get the feel of being in the others boots for a match or two.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #15: Mar 27, 2007 11:58:45 pm
      Gerrard is a good captain, but Carraghers' character is a much stronger character believe you me.
      Some good points there Rafa... it's a tough choice (half empty  ??? / half full  ???) I'm leaning towards JC...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #16: Mar 28, 2007 12:25:23 am
      Mind you even though I said JC, just thinking back to Istanbul and the FA Cup Final....

We needed Stevie G then.  But he didn't necessarily have to be captain to produce the efforts he did on those nights.

ASF
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts |
      • Lets get a kitty
      Reply #17: Mar 28, 2007 12:37:47 am
      I just want to get one thing straight.

Steven Gerrard was a born red, but twice he thought of leaving us!

Jamie Carragher was a born blue, but now he would not leave us even if a shotgun was put to his head!

Our best player in Istanbul was not Gerrard, it was Carragher.. how many blocks and last ditch tackles did he make? its countless and he was running on zero even with cramp. After Istanbul Carra should of been Captain because of the Chelsea saga with Steven Gerrard. It still bugs me to know that Gerrard was minutes away from signing for Chelsea, Carragher would not even think about it.

Gerrard is a good captain, but Carragher is a much stronger character belive you me

I'm interested to know how many of you knew that Robbie Fowler started off as a blue.  I hadn't realised this until I read his autobiography.

Also, I can't help but feel the need to point out that, in my honest opinion, Didi Hamann was my player of the match in Instanbul.  He was often the unsung hero but if it hadn't been for him pulling the strings in front of the defence and he allowed Gerrard to get on with what he does best.  I miss Didi  :'(

One other point regarding the captaincy....  although Stevie and JC would undoubtedly be great captains, who would you choose as captain if neither were available?  I'm struggling....  :-\
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #18: Mar 28, 2007 12:53:28 am
      Stevie Finnan without a doubt
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 28, 2007 01:43:56 am
      maybe riise??? idk. Xabi could be a really good skipper as well.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #20: Mar 28, 2007 05:54:58 am
      I don't think there has to be one set captain. chelsea trades back and forth, so maybe we can learn from some experience. maybe rafa could change them out every once and a while to let both of them get the feel of being in the others boots for a match or two.

One set captain is only giving more stability to the team as I see it. Whether its Stevie or Jamie. Believe both of them would do a great job. Both being highly respected and liked in the team.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #21: Mar 28, 2007 08:50:19 am

Not enough leadership qualities, Stevie and Jamie would get more respect cos they are true scousers
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #22: Mar 28, 2007 09:04:26 am
      Good topic,

I'm struggling to think myself, Stevie is the better player no question but as said before carra is a stronger character....

1 point I also think is that when players sign for us quite alot I think are affraid of stevie as he is the captin and best player and I think they play with abit of fear and thats why they struggle, on the other hand if carra was captin I think new signings would adapt more as I think he would help them more on/off the pitch.

as for if either was not available? maybe xabi.......

Quick Reply