Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Arsene Wenger

Read 13522 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: Arsene Wenger
      Reply #69: Apr 28, 2011 05:18:52 am
      Was saying this to a arsenal fan at work,that they should do a swap with barca masch +10mill for fabregas,then get a big hairy arsed centre half like ooo chris samba and a big target striker and with the pace and width theyve got they should be a lot stronger and less lightweight.

Masch partially left because it was hard to adjust to life in England, I don't know if he will play in England again.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #70: Apr 28, 2011 06:08:00 am
      I heard the other day somebody calling Leon Osman a veteran yet people of the same age at Arsenal are still young.

Leon Osmon is 29!
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Re: If Wenger was our boss....
      Reply #71: Apr 28, 2011 10:51:38 pm
      Some of the posts on here are ridiculous. Do you really expect him, or any TOP manager (i.e. not Hodgson, Allardyce, et al) to say "yeah, my team is no good, my players are weak, i'm making too many mistakes"???

Of COURSE he's going to defend his players and policies in PUBLIC but we have no idea what he is like behind the scenes so we shouldn't judge him too much.

By all means critique his results and tactics etc. but we don't know what EXACTLY the Arsenal policies are and who decides what regarding budgets, etc.. We know he is PART of it but the board probably tells him what they want from him too.

Same as we wouldn't take much notice (not in a good way at least) of other clubs' fans criticising Kenny or Rafa we should probably just leave well alone.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #72: Apr 28, 2011 11:16:39 pm
      Merged it with an older topic. A few knocking about that were about Wenger.

Anyways, i don't rate him anywhere near the best in the game. Good manager no doubt, but not in that elite group of top 10 managers in the world.

Decades of football and still has no clue how to set up a sturdy defence. And his transfers make no sense these days. Still needs a top defender, still needs a top striker, still needs a top goalkeeper yet he'll buy three wingers in the summer and that'll do him.

I wouldn't want him here.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #73: Apr 29, 2011 10:51:26 am
      Masch partially left because it was hard to adjust to life in England, I don't know if he will play in England again.
      I reckon if the right offer came in ie wages and the bright lights of london came a calling he would be off like a shot,cant see him staying at barca to be a bench warmer,and when that squad is fully fit, that is what he will be.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #74: Apr 29, 2011 11:20:43 am
      Some of the posts on here are ridiculous. Do you really expect him, or any TOP manager (i.e. not Hodgson, Allardyce, et al) to say "yeah, my team is no good, my players are weak, i'm making too many mistakes"???

Of COURSE he's going to defend his players and policies in PUBLIC but we have no idea what he is like behind the scenes so we shouldn't judge him too much.

By all means critique his results and tactics etc. but we don't know what EXACTLY the Arsenal policies are and who decides what regarding budgets, etc.. We know he is PART of it but the board probably tells him what they want from him too.

Same as we wouldn't take much notice (not in a good way at least) of other clubs' fans criticising Kenny or Rafa we should probably just leave well alone.

Yes but on the flip-side, Wenger is constantly hailed as a shining example of a manager who works the transfer market perfectly and gets his teams to play beautiful, Barca-esque football. If he's going to be showered with such plaudits then it's only right that his failings in terms of collecting trophies be criticised along with his apparent stubborness to sacrifice a creative midfielder to add some steal to the centre of the pitch.
      In one sense I admire him for sticking to his principles and and getting his teams to play how he wants them to but if he doesn't change, this will surely be his downfall and the Arsenal board can only be so patient.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #75: May 08, 2011 08:20:04 pm
      Look at what Wenger has done to Arsenal fans this season
      http://bit.ly/kSh3DY
      redjames83
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #76: May 09, 2011 08:32:36 am
      I heard wenger in an interview saying he was a 'realist'... would a realist not no that it is almost impossible to win a league or trophy without using your resources to buy experienced quality players???
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #77: May 09, 2011 09:07:42 am
      Look at what Wenger has done to Arsenal fans this season
      http://bit.ly/kSh3DY

Hahaha, Hilarious. That guy's a complete dick, lmfao. Can you imagine Wenger in that room, at that precise moment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #78: May 09, 2011 12:30:59 pm
      Hahaha, Hilarious. That guy's a complete dick, lmfao. Can you imagine Wenger in that room, at that precise moment.

I don't find it that funny tbh, especially if it's true about him being mentally ill.

If he isn't he's just someone showing off for the camera, if he is then who's the sick F**k filming him.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #79: May 09, 2011 01:11:32 pm
      I don't find it that funny tbh, especially if it's true about him being mentally ill.

If he isn't he's just someone showing off for the camera, if he is then who's the sick f**k filming him.

I didn't see anyone saying that he's mentally ill. I do find it funny though, cause I sure as hell won't be putting myself through a rage, like that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #80: May 09, 2011 01:25:32 pm
      I didn't see anyone saying that he's mentally ill. I do find it funny though, cause I sure as hell won't be putting myself through a rage, like that.

I don't whether the uploaded video bit has been changed were it says passionate or it's another vid of the same, but on the one I saw yesterday it said mentally ill and I just thought it was someone taking the piss out of the lad and was a bit off.

To be honest if he's filmed himself acting like that then he's a armchair tit getting far too over excited
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #81: May 09, 2011 01:45:52 pm
      I don't whether the uploaded video bit has been changed were it says passionate or it's another vid of the same, but on the one I saw yesterday it said mentally ill and I just thought it was someone taking the piss out of the lad and was a bit off.

To be honest if he's filmed himself acting like that then he's a armchair tit getting far too over excited

Oh, ok, but I think it's something like this, armchair tit.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #82: May 09, 2011 05:10:53 pm
      Reading through a lot of the Arsenal forums yesterday and the general consensus I got from there was that the majority want Wenger to stay, reminded of the great Rafa debate with some stating Wenger has a policy and he has earned the right to see that policy come to fruition being the most widely held consensus, obviously there was some saying they would rather him walk now and be remembered for his success other than his failures, but the feeling I got from reading a number of Wenger threads is whilst the majority not being entirely happy with Wenger they would give him another season.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #83: May 15, 2011 06:52:18 pm
      Not sure what happened to Arsenal today.  They were roundly booed at the end though.

I think Wenger is again emphasising the youth thing and it needs time..........
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #84: May 16, 2011 10:08:13 am
      Not sure what happened to Arsenal today.  They were roundly booed at the end though.

Just carrying on their freefall act, they could yet slip to fourth place!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #85: May 16, 2011 06:17:40 pm
      Reading through a lot of the Arsenal forums yesterday and the general consensus I got from there was that the majority want Wenger to stay, reminded of the great Rafa debate with some stating Wenger has a policy and he has earned the right to see that policy come to fruition being the most widely held consensus, obviously there was some saying they would rather him walk now and be remembered for his success other than his failures, but the feeling I got from reading a number of Wenger threads is whilst the majority not being entirely happy with Wenger they would give him another season.
      I get what they're saying and I was of the same opinion about Rafa but on the other hand, Rafa wasn't here long enough to see the result of his revamped Academy, Wenger's been there for about 15 years now!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #86: May 16, 2011 10:08:40 pm
      Read a piece somewhere stating that he inherited the foundations of a stronger side than he has now, with Bergkamp in particular being one player Wenger didn't sign (or replace?).  Not sure how true/false it is, but the other point of contention is that he needs a new number two as Pat Rice is staying for at least another year.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #87: May 16, 2011 10:16:13 pm
      Read a piece somewhere stating that he inherited the foundations of a stronger side than he has now, with Bergkamp in particular being one player Wenger didn't sign (or replace?).  Not sure how true/false it is, but the other point of contention is that he needs a new number two as Pat Rice is staying for at least another year.

Wenger signed Bergkamp and if I remember rightly I think he signed Overmars and Petit in the same window.

Although I may be wrong on Petit as it was many moons ago.

Edit: No I'm wrong come to think of it, Bruce Rioch signed Bergkamp.

It was Overmars and Petit that he signed in that window.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #88: May 16, 2011 10:20:50 pm
      Pretty sure Bruce Rioch signed Bergkamp Blood but might have been just the season before Wenger arrived.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #89: May 16, 2011 10:22:37 pm
      Pretty sure Bruce Rioch signed Bergkamp Blood but might have been just the season before Wenger arrived.

Yeh I'd just edited my post there mate when I'd thought about it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #90: May 16, 2011 10:23:51 pm
      Yeh I'd just edited my post there mate when I'd thought about it.

Bergamp probably played his best football under Wenger though so he maybe does deserve credit for that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #91: May 16, 2011 10:26:41 pm
      Bergamp probably played his best football under Wenger though so he maybe does deserve credit for that.

Did he not sign Anelka at the same time as Petit and Overmars ?, can sort of remember the back page on the paper when he unveiled their signings and I'm sure there was 3, can remember seeing Overmars and thinking oh sh*t he is quality.

Quick Reply