Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

New Liverpool sponsor - 20M a year Standard Chartered deal (2009)

Read 48084 times
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Re: New Liverpool sponsor - 20M a year Standard Chartered deal
      Reply #207: Aug 06, 2012 11:49:52 pm
      Is there any good fkn news to look at today about our club??? FFS!
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #208: Aug 07, 2012 12:04:32 am
      They will get a big fine, that they can easily afford, and then its all forgotten. All banks do dodgy business, look at the mess the worlds economy is in. Tomorrows chip wrappers.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #209: Aug 07, 2012 12:11:02 am
      They will get a big fine, that they can easily afford, and then its all forgotten. All banks do dodgy business, look at the mess the worlds economy is in. Tomorrows chip wrappers.
      Not if they lose their licence to trade in America?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #210: Aug 07, 2012 12:37:29 am
      I'm sure Werner and his republican buddies can get us out of this one.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #211: Aug 07, 2012 12:39:47 am
      I hope so  :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #212: Aug 07, 2012 12:43:58 am

If not I'm sure he can pick up the blower to Hillary and her old man Bill.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #213: Aug 07, 2012 12:47:59 am
      :gt-happyup:
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #214: Aug 07, 2012 02:45:49 am
      Oh ho ho ho you couldn't write it could ya!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #215: Aug 07, 2012 01:03:18 pm
      American owners and fans may not want to be associated with a 'rogue institution'
      BY Jonathan Harwood LAST UPDATED AT 10:50 ON Tue 7 Aug 2012
      COULD the Standard Chartered scandal in the US have implications for Liverpool FC, the once-dominant Premier League club owned by Americans and sponsored by the bank?

The bank has been labelled a "rogue institution" by US regulators and accused of breaking financial sanctions against Iran and conspiring to launder at least $250bn over almost a decade. It could potentially have its US banking licence revoked if the charges are proven, and its value on the London stock exchange plummeted on Tuesday morning.

That is not good news for Liverpool, which is on the cusp of a new era under manager Brendan Rodgers. There was a mood of optimism at Anfield after his arrival, but the lack of new signings has worried fans, and fears that the club may actually offload some of its big stars this summer, including Daniel Agger (pictured) and Pepe Reina, have contributed to an air of trepidation.

The last thing the club needs now is a political crisis surrounding its chief sponsor, which could put one of its main revenue streams in danger.

Standard Chartered is believed to pay around £20m a year for its logo to appear on the Liverpool shirt. It is one of the most lucrative deals in the Premier League and is set to run until the end of the 2013/14 season.

The bank claims a similar heritage to the club, and on its website speaks proudly of "over 100 years of history, strong values and a determination to give back to the local community".

The club said it had no comment to make on the accusations when contacted by The Week. But Liverpool fans are fiercely proud of Liverpool's heritage and its political identity. They are unlikely to take kindly to it being closely linked to a scandal-ridden bank during a time of recession and hardship on Merseyside.

Fenway Sports Group [FSG], the American company run by John W Henry that owns Liverpool, has been put in a difficult situation.

US-based website EPL Talk noted last week, even before the scandal broke, that goodwill towards FSG was running low. "To many, the club lacked clear leadership off the field last season and the owners appeared to be missing in action as the club swung from one crisis to another," it said.

When FSG representatives missed the Hillsborough anniversary because the baseball season was starting in the US, it did not go down well with fans. "They need to take heed of how such gestures are interpreted within a city like Liverpool," noted the website. This Standard Chartered situation could prove equally sensitive.

A supporters group called Spirit of Shankly wrote to FSG last month, before the bank crisis, and warned: "Confusion and chaos seems to reign and no one is coming out of this with much credit, particularly the football club's image and brand."

Any fallout from the allegations against SCB could have serious implications for Liverpool's global reputation, especially in north America. While Standard Chartered has encouraged Liverpool to build its Asian fanbase, the club's American owners have been keen to raise the club's profile in the US.

This year the club's pre-season tour visited Toronto, Boston and Baltimore. US soccer fans are unlikely to take to a club that has a bank accused of funding Iran plastered over its shirts.

As one tweeter, Ben Allain from Conneticut, posted today: "John Henry gives money to Liverpool. They give money to SCB. SCB gives money to Iran. Iran gives money to terrorists. #JohnHenryIsATerrorist." He may have misunderstood the niceties of sponsorship but the message was clear. Other tweeters mocked Liverpool and said that the club's brand was in danger.

Then there is the issue of how Liverpool's other sponsors will view SCB's relationships with Liverpool. The club recently signed another deal with all-American car manufacturer Chevrolet, for example. How will they feel about the Standard Chartered connection?

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/premier-league/48356/will-liverpool-end-sponsorship-deal-standard-chartered#ixzz22rRpT81D

Wonder how all this will pan out,they were livid over the Suarez row.They need this sorted quick!!!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Standard Chartered
      Reply #216: Aug 07, 2012 01:48:06 pm
      Standard Chartered shares fell 25% in early London trade, after falling 16% in Hong Kong after laundering charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19159286

Naughty?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Standard Chartered
      Reply #217: Aug 07, 2012 02:05:01 pm
      So do we have a chinese laundry as sponsors now ?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #218: Aug 07, 2012 02:18:12 pm

I thought Werner was tight with the Clintons, so wouldn't that make him a Democrat?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6403 
      Re: Standard Chartered
      Reply #219: Aug 07, 2012 02:19:55 pm
      This is gonna be a tough position for LFC. Do we stick with Standard Chartered in spite of the fact that they are either guilty of money laundering or they aren't guilty but are worthless because everyone dumped their stock because they think they are guilty?

It surely wouldn't be easy to find another sponsor, especially one that would pay so much that quickly?

I'm betting we could get out of our deal, had to be some contractual language in their both ways about conduct detrimental I would think.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #220: Aug 07, 2012 02:53:27 pm
      I'm not one to defend banks but if dealing with Iran is a crime because New York Financial Services said so then New York Finanicial Services can F**k off. They should have a look at what their own country is doing before condemning others.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #221: Aug 07, 2012 03:14:01 pm
      I thought Werner was tight with the Clintons, so wouldn't that make him a Democrat?

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #222: Aug 07, 2012 03:20:05 pm

I genuinely didn't see that post. Sorry!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #223: Aug 07, 2012 08:40:39 pm
      I'm not one to defend banks but if dealing with Iran is a crime because New York Financial Services said so then New York Finanicial Services can f**k off. They should have a look at what their own country is doing before condemning others.

Hmmmm.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #224: Aug 07, 2012 08:43:10 pm
      Not if they lose their licence to trade in America?
      Isnt most of their business in the far east.
      Fancy a Bank being caught out being unethical,
      This from banks who take your money and give you 1% interest but lend it out at nearly 20%.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6403 
      Reply #225: Aug 07, 2012 08:55:18 pm

It doesn't really matter. Almost all global banking has to go through Wall Street at some point so if they don't like you in New York...you are gonna have trouble.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #226: Aug 08, 2012 12:23:32 am
      This from banks who take your money and give you 1% interest but lend it out at nearly 20%.
      fair point.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #227: Aug 08, 2012 12:30:50 am
      Have to agree with what Walton says, all these banks are the same best for the club if we keep it a non-issue.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #228: Aug 08, 2012 12:34:07 am

It's worse over hear Walton, the banks borrow the money from the government for free, pay 1% interest to the individual and then go back to the same government that loaned them the money free in the first place and purchase 3% government bonds. 2% profit on hundreds of billions with absolutely no risk to the bank.

The thing that really gets me is the bank borrowing money for free is supposed to be loaning it out to stimulate the economy and growth, none of it goes out to the public its just a revolving door between the feds and the banks.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #229: Aug 08, 2012 12:40:24 am
      So, let's say Standard Chartered are actually found out and are doing something completley wrong and unethical, what impact may that have on our club? Yes, it may mean we would have to look for a new sponsor. However, could it lead to sanctions to the club? This kind of stuff, I.e. business law, is all new to me so I haven't a clue and I apologise for my stupidity.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2012 12:51:39 am by Semple »

Quick Reply