Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Sami Hyypia Player Thread

Read 30619 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Sami out of Champions League Squad
      Reply #115: Sep 10, 2008 02:58:45 pm
      I'm not holding anything against Rafa, its UEFA's fault. This lad has given us 10 seasons of service but its down the drain because this sh*te rule means he is not eligible to play under the 'local player' sh*t.

10 seasons and its, 'Sorry, we want players who grew up playing in England.' Most British or local players for those other teams, dont play in a country for 10 years let alone a club for that long. Its bullshit and something that needs to be fixed but wont because English clubs are too good.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #116: Sep 10, 2008 04:03:12 pm

Its a new Uefa rule OR  shall I say A PLATINI rule
       he has been trying to restrict  english clubs  since he was elected there

And I fear this will not be the only one he invents for the same reason
         Naturally he has the backing of other countries who cannot compete with the english  top clubs in europe

Feel sorry for Samy, But as always we should trust Rafa , ..i am sure he selected the best possible ,cornered with this sh*t rule
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #117: Sep 10, 2008 07:36:10 pm
      WHAT THE F**k

SAMIS A LEGEND
      he deserves his place

F**k PLATINI
      F**k UEFA
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #118: Sep 10, 2008 08:07:46 pm
      Didn't wanna say this before but...Well See, Unless Skrtel is injured or on a red card, Hyypia doesn't really stand much chance of starting; He is an experienced player, but he is also elderly and slower now. Champions League semi Final against Chelsea (Second leg) is a case in question, Hyypia was a tad bit overwhelmed in that game. The strength we had in the defence weakened with the exit of Skrtel.

Hyypia is good and resourceful, but He should give it a rest. Skrtel is that good. Agger will make a comeback. We still love Hyypia though.

A lot of people would have had Hyypia retired about 2-3 seasons ago, but he hasn't he is still here and still puts in the performances, yes, we have better options in Skrtel and Agger.  But coming off the bench will still very beneficial in the latter stages of the competition.  Come on mate, he has never had pace he has experience.  I am not saying for one second that I would have dropped Skrtel or Agger.  But hopefully in the next stage we will find space for the legend.  Maybe he can return that favour by scoring a vital goal from a set piece.  The thing is mate it is hard to write him off, he still has a lot to offer especially off the bench.  I am not saying this is Benitez's fault its the rule that has excluded him from the squad. 
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #119: Sep 10, 2008 08:16:01 pm
      Its not even difficult this one ,a fit Skertel and AGGER will play instead of SAMI end of ,he has been great for us and still has a role to play had it not been for this ruling he would be in the squad,that still dont mean he would have played ,you can understand how he feels but football moves on and so must we ,i am sure he will get his share of games this year and who knows perhaps something special at the end of it.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #120: Oct 06, 2008 06:16:21 pm
      i hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt rafa.  now that it looks like skrtel wont play any more group games, if carra or dagger gets injured/suspended we could be in a spot of bother.

thank god we've got off to a good start in our group, and hopefully it wont be an issue.........hopefully.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #121: Oct 06, 2008 07:19:51 pm
      It could well prove to be a costly mistake leaving Hyypia out with us losing Skrtel. If Carra or Agger get suspended or injured then it could cause real problems :-\
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #122: Oct 06, 2008 07:23:56 pm
      The squads can be changed in January can't they?
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #123: Oct 06, 2008 07:28:14 pm
      Plus Arebeloa can step into CB.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #124: Oct 06, 2008 07:29:11 pm
      The squads can be changed in January can't they?

Yes
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Re: The Sami Hyypia thread
      Reply #125: Nov 27, 2008 09:20:23 pm
      It'll be interesting to see how many games Sami gets now this season with us out of the Carling Cup and I don't expect him to be in the Champions League squad come January unless Skrtel's injury takes a set back (please don't tempt fate).

With the Christmas/New Year period coming up and games thick and fast might see him get the odd run out, especially if we don't want to rush Skrtel back. But it's not very often (even with Benitez) to see the centre half pairing swapped every other game so it could still see the big number 4 struggling for games. It'd be a crying shame if Sami doesn't get enough games to earn himself a winners medal for the Premiership, should we go on and win it. After what he's done for this club over the last decade, that'd just be a kick in the teeth.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #126: Nov 27, 2008 09:24:26 pm
      It'd be a crying shame if Sami doesn't get enough games to earn himself a winners medal for the Premiership, should we go on and win it. After what he's done for this club over the last decade, that'd just be a kick in the teeth.

How many is it you need? Can't quite remember now. I remember when Arsenal won the league and they brought Richard Wright on so he had enough games for a medal. Considering he was their 2nd choice keeper and he got a medal, I don't think it'll be more than 10?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #127: Nov 27, 2008 09:28:17 pm
      I think it is 10 mate, although saying that didn't Ben Foster win a medal with United after that shoulder injury? But I think it is 10 for outfield players.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #128: Nov 27, 2008 09:29:07 pm
      The rule is 10 games played and he already played 6 so I would expect him to met the standard is the dream of winning a Premiership ever does come true.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #129: Nov 27, 2008 09:29:15 pm
      After what he's done for this club over the last decade, that'd just be a kick in the teeth.

True, it woud be a kick in the teeth.

There is always the option of playing him against teams that don't have blistering pace up front. I've believed for a while now with the left back position being pretty weak - especially seeing Aurelio is out again - we could throw Agger on the left and have Carra and Hyypia in the middle against such teams.

Agger would be great down on the left. Defensively very good and we all know what he's like getting forward with the ball. Not to mention how much danger Hyypia adds with corner balls.

It's an option. But unfortunately, I can't see it happening.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #130: Nov 27, 2008 09:30:03 pm
      I think its 10 because im sure  Henrik Larsson only played seven for United and didnt get one .And if im right i beleive they had one specialy made for him
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #131: Nov 27, 2008 09:31:53 pm
      I'd have it the other way round Kenny, Carra at left back. He has experince in that position and he may not offer much going forward (neither do Aurelio or Dossena in my opinion) and is the most reliable defender we have. Agger and Sami at the back if the injury to Aurelio is serious, just so Sami's get the allocated games for a winner's medal.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #132: Nov 27, 2008 09:35:30 pm
      Another option is if Arbeloa gets a bit tired, Carra on the right, Sami and Agger in the middle.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #133: Nov 27, 2008 09:44:46 pm
      I'd have it the other way round Kenny, Carra at left back. He has experince in that position and he may not offer much going forward (neither do Aurelio or Dossena in my opinion) and is the most reliable defender we have. Agger and Sami at the back if the injury to Aurelio is serious, just so Sami's get the allocated games for a winner's medal.

Another option is if Arbeloa gets a bit tired, Carra on the right, Sami and Agger in the middle.

More options indeed.

I'd still prefer Agger on the left though as you'll get more of an option on the attack with a strong defensive pair in the middle. Can't see it happening though. If anyone was to be moved to either the right or the left, I think it would be Carra.

Either way, I hope big Sami does get more chances. He's a the end of a leg.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #134: Dec 01, 2008 11:32:17 pm
      I know West Ham didn't pose a great threat but I though Sami was really good tonight cutting out a few good through balls and really was our best attacking threat.

I was a bit worried but he did very good.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #135: Dec 01, 2008 11:35:22 pm
      Sami showed a couple of moments of class tonight cutting out through balls. He might not have the pace but he really knows how to read the game.
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #136: Dec 01, 2008 11:45:30 pm
      how is this thread not bigger.! BIG SAM, what a game today, ok there are some moments were you fear his pace may get the better of him , but his experience on the field shows. MOM in my view today for LFC>
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #137: Dec 01, 2008 11:53:55 pm
      if they had any decentcy about them then any1 of aurellio arbeloa and especially dossena would happily give sami their medal should we make it that far if he's not got enough games under his belt. should we win and dossena didnt make that gesture..........wel i bloody would have thats for sure. when skrtel is back i'd like to see carra, agger skrtel as a back 3 and start to really take the game to any opposition. any thoughts??

Quick Reply