Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Where do we go from here?

Read 5375 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Re: Where do we go from here?
      Reply #46: Oct 18, 2009 08:40:13 am
      I still believe the only Premier League defeat we deserved was against Sunderland.

Chelsea was harsh - we were more than their match for the majority of the game.
      Aston Villa was pretty unbelievable - their three shots on target (one from a pen - two others from dead ball) all went in to the net.  I think we had about 20 shots on target that game.
      Sunderland - a beach ball deflection prevented us getting a point.

I don't think we deserved to win but should have got a point - but even if you look at all three of Sunderland's other 'chances' - one was saved by Reina, Carragher made a great tackle and the other their player was crowded out enough to put the ball wide of the goal.

Our bad luck can't continue indefinitely.

We didn't win the league last year because we failed to win 13 games.  Okay - so we're on 4 now. I'm still pretty confident we can turn it around and like I said at the start of the year - as Chelsea's two consecutive away defeats prove - I think far less points are going to be needed to win the league this year.  The total we got last year probably will win it this year.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #47: Oct 18, 2009 10:01:13 am
      Title winners and how many points they dropped in previous years

2009 Man Utd   24                This season so far dropped after 23 % of matches
      2008 Man Utd    27                Man Utd      5   
      2007 Man Utd    25                Chelsea       6
      2006 Chelsea     23                Tottenham  8
      2005 Chelsea     19                 Arsenal       6
      2004 Arsenal      24                Man City      5
      2003 Man Utd    31                Aston V       8     
                                                 Sunderland  11
                                                 Liverpool      12         

2002 Arsenal      27
      2001 Man Utd    34
      2000 Man Utd    25

Also, Man Utd have not played Chelsea, or Liverpool, or Aston Villa as yet.  With the squad depth we all know its vital to keep injuries to a minimum and get Aquilani in and doing well in midfield. I would love to pick up a striker in January.

With Lucas and Babel sold, Aquilani doing well and an extra top class striker we could still have a say this year.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #48: Oct 18, 2009 10:35:22 am
      We didn't win the league last year because we failed to win 13 games.  Okay - so we're on 4 now. I'm still pretty confident we can turn it around and like I said at the start of the year - as Chelsea's two consecutive away defeats prove - I think far less points are going to be needed to win the league this year.  The total we got last year probably will win it this year.

That's exactly it.

All the people saying we're out of it already - they seem to be transfixed on this idea that you can only lose a few games in a season which is weird.

I too believe that less points will be needed this season.

Teams outside of the top 4 are improving and there's always a chance now that anybody can snatch some points from a top four team.

Title winners and how many points they dropped in previous years

2009 Man Utd   24                This season so far dropped after 23 % of matches
      2008 Man Utd    27                Man Utd      5   
      2007 Man Utd    25                Chelsea       6
      2006 Chelsea     23                Tottenham  8
      2005 Chelsea     19                 Arsenal       6
      2004 Arsenal      24                Man City      5
      2003 Man Utd    31                Aston V       8     
                                                 Sunderland  11
                                                 Liverpool      12         
      2002 Arsenal      27
      2001 Man Utd    34
      2000 Man Utd    25

There we have it.

Take Man Utd (2001) as the worst case scenario. We could still drop another 22 points!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #49: Oct 18, 2009 11:17:50 am
      Take Man Utd (2001) as the worst case scenario. We could still drop another 22 points!

I genuinely think that whoever wins it this year will have dropped more than 34 points.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #50: Oct 18, 2009 11:28:37 am
      We've only ever lost 3 in a row under Rafa once. Back in 04/05 we lost 3 in a row to ManU, Burnley and Southampton in the space of 7 days in January.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #51: Oct 18, 2009 11:29:10 am
      We've only ever lost 3 in a row under Rafa once. Back in 04/05 we lost 3 in a row to ManU, Burnley and Southampton in the space of 7 days in January.

Champions League this season then? ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #52: Oct 18, 2009 11:31:27 am
      Champions League this season then? ;)

I suppose ::)

:D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #53: Oct 18, 2009 11:32:34 am
      Obviously I'm hungry for a Premier League triumph, but I certainly wouldn't be complaining.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #54: Oct 18, 2009 11:34:52 am
      The CL would be, by far, a much bigger achievement than a Premier League trophy - in all honesty.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #55: Oct 18, 2009 11:37:45 am
      The CL would be, by far, a much bigger achievement than a Premier League trophy - in all honesty.
      Not really we haven't won the league since 1990, every fan wants the league more than the champions league now.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #56: Oct 18, 2009 11:37:47 am
      Suppose you could say in the Champions League you're playing the best of the best.

Everyone wants to take over the PL again though!

Another thing we need to remember - isn't it that African Cup in January? Chelsea are going to be without two of their main men.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #57: Oct 18, 2009 11:56:41 am
      No matter what the media and opposition fans would have us believe, we still have to aim for the title. If we can get our first XI fit for a run of games then we are capable of chaining together win after win after win. But we have to start soon, i.e. next sunday, if we lose that then barring a spectacular run of results, for them and us, then it's over.

We have had horrendous luck this season so far, our two best players getting injured in internationals, along with the Greek. A bloody beach ball deflecting the ball in, being denied a blatant pen against Spurs, two mistakes v Chelsea and we were punished. It can't get worse, so the only way is up.

Hopefully one thing from these 3 defeats on the bounce though, is that it will get rid of tw*ts with beach balls.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #58: Oct 18, 2009 12:25:16 pm
      It's the manner IMO. Not the results themselves but how we get beat.

If the lads put in 110% and are then beaten by a team who played good football and earned that win then fair enough because you can't really do anymore than put 110% in because sometimes it's not going to be your day. What f**king gets to me are performances like Spurs, Fiorentina and yesterday. No effort, no drive, no passion and no desire for the three points. It's not Liverpool and it really hurts to see two of our last three defeats (or 3 of our last 5) come in that fashion. Against Chelsea, the lads worked hard and against Villa we created chances and dominated and it was one of those days. But the other three, were three truly disgusting displays.

Blame the beach ball, blame the tactics, blame Rafa, blame the owners all you want but it's the 10 outfield players yesterday who should be getting a hell of a lot of stick right now. They didn't understand the honour that goes with wearing that badge. They didn't put in the effort that a Liverpool player has to. To quote treble winning manager Gerard Houllier:

"Liverpool players must play like a lion, give his all. There must be determination, commitment and resolve to be a Liverpool player."

Now if the lads want to win anything this season then they need to get a grip and start playing with a bit more heart. They need to show some of that grit from last season where we kept rescuing points when it seemed impossible. We need to show some of that ruthlessness and clinical edge we showed towards the end of last season where we chased United down to the wire. At the moment, none of those qualities are there. Just a goalkeeper in great form but that's not going to get you major honours at the end of the day.

Lyon and United are two f**king huge games now, two wins in two and we're back on track in the CL and we're 4 off the pace which is a decent situation to be in after a shocking start.

We're Liverpool Football Club and sooner or later we will be back and firing, let's start on Tuesday.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #59: Oct 18, 2009 12:26:41 pm
      ^^^^

Top post.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620