Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your man of the match today?

Lucas Leiva
      (13.1%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (21.3%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (50.8%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (14.8%)

Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool: Post match frustration

Read 34953 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool: Post match frustration
      Reply #207: Oct 05, 2009 01:26:41 pm
      ^^^ How can you admit having a Liverpool player as a scapegoat is a good thing?
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #208: Oct 05, 2009 01:33:13 pm
      ^^^ How can you admit having a Liverpool player as a scapegoat is a good thing?

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it is a fact.
      I think he brings most of on him self. 
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #209: Oct 05, 2009 01:50:16 pm
      I'm really not a big fan of Lucas, although we are seeing some improvements from last season
       BUT to try and attribute this defeat to him, its not really fair, there were some players who were worse than him yesterday
        ynwa
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2009 02:06:04 pm by carragerrard »
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #210: Oct 05, 2009 01:58:30 pm
      Not going to single any player out for any praise whatsoever ,it was just a lousy game from start to finish.

Didnt understand rafa not playing benayoun because he is so creative and causes panic with his runs and close control.

Just a piss poor performance all round,and when torres starts gobbing off and whinging you know its going tits up.....
      Wash-Ngog
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts | 15 
      Reply #211: Oct 05, 2009 02:18:43 pm
      Playing Benayoun from the start of the game would have been a big risk.
      He does offer us flair but we were at the bridge and playing on the break was always going to be the best option.
      With a player like Yossi you have to be prepared to commit more players forward which would have meant emptying our Midfield.
      Getting caught on the break would have been likely and we could have been out of the game by half time if mistakes were made.
      In hindsight we made silly errors which cost us anyway but I think the selection and tactical set-up was fine yesterday in fairness to Rafa.
      Mascherano is a excellent DM but he offers virtually nothing once he crosses the half-way line. We really need someone who can operate from box to box with equal effectiveness.

Lucas had a good game and held his own against a good Chelsea midfield winning tackles and completing 20 of the 21 passes he made successfully. His distribution of the ball is simple but he keeps the ball moving and rarely gives it away.

He is an attacking midfielder by trade and is being asked to operate in our own half which isn't his natural game but has done well for us so far this season.

Chelsea got players behind the ball in numbers when we tried to break and we rarely tested Hillario which was always going to be vital to us picking up any points from this match.
      CocoLoso
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #212: Oct 05, 2009 02:36:01 pm
      Explain to me how Lucas and Mascherano were our best players yet Essien still dominates. We are very poor at attacking and couldnt string fives passes together, instead we were hoofing it up to Torres and Gerrard who were extremely isolated. Benayoun and Babel shouldve started but Rafa likes to baffle us doesnt he. Yes Chelsea are great defensively but it doesnt help when you play 9 behind the ball. We hardly even created a chance and you can beat Hull 6-1 all you like but we are sh*te at attacking quality teams. Hoping Aquilani can add something to our game as we are in real trouble when Lyon and the scum come up.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #213: Oct 05, 2009 02:42:53 pm
      We lost and suddenly all these attacks on Gerrard, Torres and all? At one time you worshipped them and it turned out yesterday those who worshipped them suddenly stabbing them and threw all these negative thoughts. Get real! It's Stamford Bridge FFS! I didn't think they played that badly. All I can think of was luck wasn't on our side. When Benny missed that easy chance I knew we didn't had the luck to win. Our lads fought bravely yesterday, standing tall with those p**ks at Bridge. We got lots of posession and we got our passes right but luck wasn't playing on our side. Did you expect we went there hoping to win? I do hope we won but hell it's not Craven Cottage to begin with.

Last season we got the best of result when we outplayed them in every department but yesterday it was a different story. Our midfield didn't have a grip and we let them control the midfield area too often. On contrary Johnson, Insua, Carra, Skrtel, Masch, Gerrard, Torres, Riera played well but only Anelka and Malouda got the better of us.

But I was a bit surprised when Rafa decided to pull out Riera rather than Kuyt as clearly for me, he's the better of them both. Kuyt for me not even playing well. He left his space wide open while he's busy playing at the centre of the pitch. Seems like he's ran out of ideas. While our left flank look a bit lively, our right side faded. For me, the worst performer yesterday was Kuyt and I'm judging by yesterday's game not whole 7 games played.
      Wash-Ngog
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts | 15 
      Reply #214: Oct 05, 2009 02:46:35 pm
      Explain to me how Lucas and Mascherano were our best players yet Essien still dominates. We are very poor at attacking and couldnt string fives passes together, instead we were hoofing it up to Torres and Gerrard who were extremely isolated. Benayoun and Babel shouldve started but Rafa likes to baffle us doesnt he. Yes Chelsea are great defensively but it doesnt help when you play 9 behind the ball. We hardly even created a chance and you can beat Hull 6-1 all you like but we are sh*te at attacking quality teams. Hoping Aquilani can add something to our game as we are in real trouble when Lyon and the scum come up.

How many players do you know capable of 'dominating' Essien in midfield??

I can't think of anyone and the only player that could get the better of him over 90 mins with him in this country is Gerrard who rarely plays CM anymore.

If you can't understand why playing Benayoun and Babel against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the starting eleven is a bad idea then there is no hope for you I am afraid.

Babel is one of the worst players in the Premier League at tracking back and given that Chelsea are naturally going to have more of the ball playing at home we would have been like lambs to the slaughter and the game might have been over by half time.

Wanting Babel to play at all is quite a frightening thought as he is simply not up to this level of football which has been proven time and time again.

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #215: Oct 05, 2009 03:29:19 pm
      We looked tired from the start, and I agree Gerrard and Torres were culprits. We passed badly, countless times Chelsea players intercepted our passes, which often were short of the intended targets. There was a defensive mindset from the start, which you can understand when you are playing Chelsea away, no doubt Rafa would have been pleased with a 0-0.
      Having said that we have scored more than anyone, so the fact that we kept so much distance between midfield and attack was not a good tactic. We could have learned from Wigans approach that this Chelsea team are not unbeatable. In a long season lets not get too disapointed about the odd poor performance, this team have a habit of bouncing back hard after a week like this.
      Torres has been on fire, so when things dont happen for him he deserves to be cut a bit of slack. Benayouns passing made a real difference when he came on and I would have played him from the start, although history shows Rafa will always play two holding midfielders in a big 4 clash.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #216: Oct 05, 2009 03:46:15 pm
      can't take anymore of this thread , we played Chelsea in London ffs, ok it was not what we expected (as a result ) BUT we lost only with an unlucky mistake from our best player on the pitch  and chelsea (at home )only won on counter attacks , we did not play at our best , yet we were as good as them , it just was not our day , end of
        so this my final contribution to this thread , looking forward to the next game already .YNWA
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #217: Oct 05, 2009 03:55:58 pm
      How many players do you know capable of 'dominating' Essien in midfield??

I can't think of anyone and the only player that could get the better of him over 90 mins with him in this country is Gerrard who rarely plays CM anymore.

If you can't understand why playing Benayoun and Babel against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the starting eleven is a bad idea then there is no hope for you I am afraid.

Babel is one of the worst players in the Premier League at tracking back and given that Chelsea are naturally going to have more of the ball playing at home we would have been like lambs to the slaughter and the game might have been over by half time.

Wanting Babel to play at all is quite a frightening thought as he is simply not up to this level of football which has been proven time and time again.

I can understand why you didn't want Babel to start but whats your reason for not starting Benayoun?
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #218: Oct 05, 2009 03:56:02 pm
      It's not as simple as Gerrard or Torres having a bad day. We're missing Alonso much more than we know.
      No matter who we play up front they are going to struggle because the service is not there.
      Alonso got through so much work in front of the back four and more often than most he was the one receiving the ball from the likes of Carra and Skrtel.
      If you remember the same game last season Alonso was outstanding for us.

Let's hope Aquilani is the player we all hope he is.

He has a serious act to follow.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #219: Oct 05, 2009 03:58:47 pm
      Alonso wanted to leave and was sold.

Any chance you can get that in to your head? Dalglish doesn't play for us either anymore and I'm sure he would have had a cracking game yesterday.

I remember Alonso belonged to Liverpool when we drew with Hull and Stoke last season at Anfield. Didn't help us out much there did he.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #220: Oct 05, 2009 04:02:15 pm
      Hurry the F**k up Aquilani!
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #221: Oct 05, 2009 04:06:29 pm

Any chance you can get that in to your head? Dalglish doesn't play for us either anymore and I'm sure he would have had a cracking game yesterday.

I remember Alonso belonged to Liverpool when we drew with Hull and Stoke last season at Anfield. Didn't help us out much there did he.
      Wasn't Torres injured for those?
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #222: Oct 05, 2009 04:07:34 pm

Alonso was whored around every football club in Europe last season so we could buy that pile of sh*te Barry if you remember. It was never a case of wanting to leave, he had no choice after the way he was treated. 
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #223: Oct 05, 2009 04:11:56 pm
      Alonso was whored around every football club in Europe last season so we could buy that pile of sh*te Barry if you remember. It was never a case of wanting to leave, he had no choice after the way he was treated. 

Alonso had been underperforming for the 2 previous seasons. He had a choice, and he chose Real Madrid.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #224: Oct 05, 2009 04:20:10 pm
      I'd hardly call his two previous seasons "underperforming". He was injured for the better part of the 06-07 season and he publicly admitted the 07-08 season had been his worse form since becoming a Liverpool player.
      But he never let us down and last season he was our best player.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #225: Oct 05, 2009 04:45:51 pm
      I missed the match, but maybe it was for the better because i would have pulled out all my hair in frustration.

Can't comment on individual performances, its so frustrating because after the match against Hull the players should have been oozing with confidence but after reading the players' thread on here, it seems not many of them were at their normal best.

I just hope the players come back from International safe and sound so they can concentrate on the league.   
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #226: Oct 05, 2009 04:50:50 pm
      Should read Paul Tomkins on LFC.TV

Brings it all into perspective.

Good article.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #227: Oct 05, 2009 04:53:23 pm
      I know its easy to be critical after a defeat. One of our main troubles is that yes we have a half decent starting VI however if some players such as Steven, Nino, Macha are having a below par performance we do not have anyone to step into their shoes and make a difference. Our bench is incredibly weak for a club aspiring to win the title. Even when Aquillani comes into the midfield, who will be on our bench to make a difference. Unfortunately the scumbags due to rich finances have that, whilst we hope that players who have a lot to prove can do it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #228: Oct 05, 2009 04:56:45 pm

But with the financial state the club is in are you surprised we cashed in?
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #229: Oct 05, 2009 04:58:35 pm
      Should read Paul Tomkins on LFC.TV

Brings it all into perspective.

Good article.

agreed a very good read

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG166002091005-0944.htm

Quick Reply