Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Alberto Aquilani takes step towards Liverpool debut: Liverpool FC latest

Read 3654 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Oct 14, 2009 09:20:00 am

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/10/14/alberto-aquilani-takes-step-towards-liverpool-debut-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-24924088/

ALBERTO AQUILANI has taken a huge step towards making his Liverpool debut now he has started kicking a ball again for the first time in six months.

Rafa Benitez reported last week that his ÂŁ20m midfielder was making good progress but erred on the side of caution as to when Aquilani might be seen in a Red shirt.

However, the Italian was given the green light to start doing some ball work again late last week and has continued to work on passing and shooting in the last couple of days.

There is a growing sense of anticipation amongst supporters about Aquilani, who was drafted in to fill the void left by Xabi Alonso’s move to Real Madrid.

But there is no chance of him launching his career in the cut and thrust of a potentially pivotal clash against Manchester United on Sunday week.

Benitez will be looking to ease Aquilani in gradually as the 25-year-old has not played a competitive game since Arsenal beat his old club Roma in the Champions League in March.

The reserves have a game against Sunderland at home next Wednesday but it could be that Benitez waits a further seven days before pushing him into the frame.

That would open up the prospect of Aquilani getting his first taste of English football in the Carling Cup fourth round clash at Arsenal on October 28.

It has been a difficult few months for Aquilani, who knows that it is going to take time for him to get adjusted to the hustle and bustle of Premier League life, but he is determined to make his mark.

“When I am back, I will hopefully show that I am a player who can pass the ball well, get forward and score goals,” said the man who will wear the number four shirt.

“I haven’t played football for a long time, so I know it won’t be easy to produce my best straight away – but I will be trying to do that.

“When you are not involved with the team, it is not a good feeling. But it is my ambition to score at the Kop end. I have thought about that a lot during my rehab period.”

Aquilani will be joined in the treatment room at Melwood today by skipper Steven Gerrard, who withdrew from England’s squad yesterday due to the adductor problem he sustained in Ukraine.

Gerrard was hoping to figure in the final Group 6 match against Belarus this evening but felt a twinge during training at London Colney and was released by Fabio Capello.

He will undergo a scan today but the Anfield medical staff are hopeful that he will be available for the Reds’ crucial trip to Sunderland on Saturday.

Some good quotes there from the player showing his hunger to get on the pitch and show us what he's all about.

Hopefully we'll get to see him at Sunderland, even if its just for a ten minute cameo :)

johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Re: Alberto Aquilani takes step towards Liverpool debut: Liverpool FC latest
      Reply #1: Oct 14, 2009 09:23:43 am
      FFS it doesnt sound like he is going to be fit soon if he has only just started kicking a ball.I hope he is worth the wait.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Oct 14, 2009 09:27:42 am
      FFS it doesnt sound like he is going to be fit soon if he has only just started kicking a ball.I hope he is worth the wait.

I'm hoping he atleast has a ten minute run out for the reserves against Sunderland, before we face Arsenal in the Carling Cup, would be nice to hear he's been involved in a competative match even if its only for the ressies.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #3: Oct 14, 2009 09:29:07 am
      Yep, last 10 mins at Sunderland, hopefully the match will be tied up by then.

Be nice to see him in a red shirt, put all the Alonso crap behind us....  and time for him to stand up and prove why he was a big buy for us.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Oct 14, 2009 09:42:57 am
      Glad he's not being rushed back.

Just look at the trouble we have had with Agger and Torres in the last 2 seasons coming back early from injuries only to break down again and again.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #5: Oct 14, 2009 11:23:12 am
      If anyone has used him in fifa10 the guy is awesome ;)
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #6: Oct 14, 2009 01:04:16 pm
      If anyone has used him in fifa10 the guy is awesome ;)
      I think they could make him a bit faster but in shooting and dribbling hes incredible !!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Oct 14, 2009 01:08:52 pm
      Bit at a time for Alberto isn't it.

At least he's not with Del Bosque is all I can say!

Really can't wait to see him in action now.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #8: Oct 14, 2009 05:48:41 pm
      It's gonna be worth the wait just you see.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Oct 14, 2009 05:53:02 pm
      It's gonna be worth the wait just you see.

As I've said before my Dad's spoken to some of his colleagues living in Italy and they say he's a class act.

Just hoping he will be the same class act - if not even more so for us!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Oct 14, 2009 06:07:46 pm
      If he gets 10mins or 30 it dosen't matter, once he's playing and if he comes through that, it will mean he's ready, fantastic news...
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #11: Oct 14, 2009 06:14:04 pm
      If he's just started kicking a ball he wont be involved Saturday.

The Gooners match I'd say
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #12: Oct 14, 2009 06:19:22 pm
      He won't get a run out this Saturday, give him some time, in a week or two he should be ready to be slowly introduced.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Oct 14, 2009 07:51:54 pm
      By time he starts a full game we could be out the CL battling for 4the in the league and out the Carling cup
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Oct 14, 2009 07:52:31 pm
      By time he starts a full game we could be out the CL battling for 4the in the league and out the Carling cup

I remember you saying that before.

And I said this before.

Shut the F**k up - are you clueless?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #15: Oct 14, 2009 08:53:10 pm

Optimist of the Year 2009.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #16: Oct 14, 2009 08:54:55 pm

Get a grip, or go and support United.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: Oct 14, 2009 08:55:32 pm
      Tezmac's in trouble now - the deadly duo are on his back! :D Be afraid!

Good to hear things are moving in the right direction for Alberto, I don't know if it's just his quality initials, but I have a good feeling about this lad. ;)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: Oct 14, 2009 09:32:49 pm
      This a Manc in hiding ?
      Tezmac's in trouble now - the deadly duo are on his back! :D Be afraid
      I think I'd prefer to own up to been a manc than face those two ! :f_tongueincheek:

all we can do regarding Aquilani is wait and see, we've signed numpties before theres no need to condem the man before he's had the chance to defend himself on the pitch  !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Oct 15, 2009 12:08:43 am

Don't be such a tool!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Oct 15, 2009 11:51:39 am

Yup and the world will end tomorrow, don't be so negative mate, were always dangerous as the under dog {:o)
      mulki
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | -2 
      • You"ll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Oct 15, 2009 01:24:12 pm
      can't wait to see him in action...
      hopefully,..he will start in sunderland match.....

insua-rance
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts | -3 
      Reply #22: Oct 15, 2009 01:58:20 pm
      all i will say is dont expect him to get any mom perfances & a hat-trick on his debut or eevn for a fre months but if this lad can settle we'll have forgetton all about mr alonso

Quick Reply