Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Where have all the Scottish footballers gone.

Read 1064 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Where have all the Scottish footballers gone.
      Oct 16, 2009 09:33:14 am
      What has happened to all the football talent we used to get from Scotland,it just appears to have dried up.At L.F.C. over the years we have had an abundance of talent from Scotland and  most posters will be well aware of the stars who have graced Anfield wearing our famous RED shirt.How many Scots have we got on our books at the moment including youngsters,certainly none in the first team squad.It was not just Celtic and Rangers who blooded players for the English league indeed we had some excellent buys from quite a few clubs as well as from amateur teams.Have the young Scots lads given the game away or is it they do not get a chance to show their ability.When I think of Dalglish,Cormack.StJohn Yeats,Hansen,Billy Liddell,Stevenson,Souness and I will throw in Tommy Lawrence for good measure I cannot believe they do not have the same talent today.There  are plenty more I could name but that will do for now.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Where have all the Scottish footballers gone.
      Reply #1: Oct 16, 2009 10:58:10 am
      You're very right, the talent is no way near what it used to be.

The best you get nowadays is the likes of McFadden, Fletcher, Caldwell etc which really is saying something isn't it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,257 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Where have all the Scottish footballers gone.
      Reply #2: Oct 16, 2009 04:45:56 pm
      Good point this, I have notice this lack of Top Quality Scots for some years. Personally I could not give a flying fig about their lack of players.

Is it the "fault" of Rangers and Celtic? as they have bought expensive average players from abroad, rather than developing their own, alittle like ourselves, (English), but fortunately we have a much bigger pond to fish from.

Quick Reply