Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Why did Aldo really leave Liverpool?

Read 2950 times
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton
      • Started Topic

• 150 posts |
      Why did Aldo really leave Liverpool?
      Oct 19, 2009 01:43:29 pm
      I was watching an interview with John Aldridge on LFC-TV over the weekend (mainly to get my mind off Saturday's result) and he was asked why he left Liverpool and moved to Real Sociedad. He said that to this day he still doesn't know why Kenny sold him.

I just wanted to know does anyone know why he was sold?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Re: Why did Aldo really leave Liverpool?
      Reply #1: Oct 19, 2009 01:51:14 pm
      I can only assume because Rush was back to his prolific best in his second spell and Dalglish didn't think we could afford to use two similar players together.

Don't forget either that Aldo is 3 years older than Rushie and was approaching 32 when we sold him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,258 posts | 8580 
      Reply #2: Oct 19, 2009 01:56:12 pm
      I can only assume because Rush was back to his prolific best in his second spell and Dalglish didn't think we could afford to use two similar players together.

Don't forget either that Aldo is 3 years older than Rushie and was approaching 32 when we sold him.

Didn't Aldo and Kenny have a falling out at the time because he was always on the bench at the start of that season.

I remember being in the Anny Road for the Palace 9-0 thrashing and his last goal in front of the Kop (the pen).
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton
      • Started Topic

• 150 posts |
      Reply #3: Oct 19, 2009 02:04:32 pm
      What a pity. I never realised he scored so many goals in Spain. Another one sold too soon.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #4: Oct 19, 2009 02:07:19 pm
      What a pity. I never realised he scored so many goals in Spain. Another one sold too soon.

He had a fantastic goal-scoring record at every club he played at.  Such a shame he got his break late in his career and only arrived at us so late as well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #5: Oct 19, 2009 02:31:04 pm
      He had a fantastic goal-scoring record at every club he played at.  Such a shame he got his break late in his career and only arrived at us so late as well.
      I would have thought the fact that he was approaching 32 was reason enough and a top european side were taking an interest in a mature striker helped with the decicion to sell him. His age and future contribution to the clubs success had to be weighed out against the transfer fee and obviously reallity took the day.
      To go a shade off topic it's never been disclosed to this day exactly why Mr Dalglish was replaced as manager it broke his heart and the hearts of LFC supporters everywhere.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton
      • Started Topic

• 150 posts |
      Reply #6: Oct 19, 2009 02:37:05 pm
      I would have thought the fact that he was approaching 32 was reason enough and a top european side were taking an interest in a mature striker helped with the decicion to sell him. His age and future contribution to the clubs success had to be weighed out against the transfer fee and obviously reallity took the day.
      To go a shade off topic it's never been disclosed to this day exactly why Mr Dalglish was replaced as manager it broke his heart and the hearts of LFC supporters everywhere.

He resigned didn't he?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #7: Oct 19, 2009 02:48:43 pm
      Sure that was the word but he was breaking down at the announcement he was crying an all kinds and the story goes that he never wanted to but his hand was being forced for whatever reason. He had won the double I think it was the previous season so why was he supposedly being forced to resign?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,258 posts | 8580 
      Reply #8: Oct 19, 2009 02:51:58 pm

Sure that was the word but he was breaking down at the announcement he was crying an all kinds and the story goes that he never wanted to but his hand was being forced for whatever reason. He had won the double  i think it was the previous season so why was he suposedly being forced to resign?

I've heard a story that he wanted to take a break, but a combination of David Moores and Noel White argued against it and forced him into resigning.

Can't rememeber the absolute specifics, but that's the basic story I've heard from a few people.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #9: Oct 19, 2009 02:58:35 pm
      I've heard a story that he wanted to take a break, but a combination of David Moores and Noel White argued against it and forced him into resigning.

Can't rememeber the absolute specifics, but that's the basic story I've heard from a few people.
      Heard a similar thing meself HR but as you point out there was nothing detailed and the whole thing was very shady, only to be expected with the David F***ing Moores involvement of course!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,258 posts | 8580 
      Reply #10: Oct 19, 2009 03:18:52 pm
      Heard a similar thing meself HR but as you point out there was nothing detailed and the whole thing was very shady, only to be expected with the David F***ing Moores involvement of course!!!

Oh aye, all very allegedly of course!
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton
      • Started Topic

• 150 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 19, 2009 03:22:29 pm
      Sure that was the word but he was breaking down at the announcement he was crying an all kinds and the story goes that he never wanted to but his hand was being forced for whatever reason. He had won the double I think it was the previous season so why was he supposedly being forced to resign?

It's funny but I can still remember that press conference so well. Christ I must have been in shock for weeks, no sh*te.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #12: Oct 19, 2009 04:25:27 pm
      It's funny but I can still remember that press conference so well. Christ I must have been in shock for weeks, no sh*te.
      Same as......poor Kenny looked as though his heart was broken the people who forced him into that situation had no love for the club whatsoever - step forward David Moores

Quick Reply