Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Benitez bemoans injury woes

Read 5607 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Oct 21, 2009 09:51:36 am
      Under-pressure Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez admits he is facing the worst injury crisis he has had to contend with at Anfield.

Benitez has a number of problems ahead of this weekend's make-or-break showdown with arch-rivals Manchester United.

Key trio Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Glen Johnson are all major doubts for the United test as Benitez looks to end his side's slump in form.

Torres and Johnson both missed Tuesday's dramatic UEFA Champions League defeat to Lyon through injury, while Gerrard limped out of the match in the first half with a recurrence of his groin problem.

Benitez, who is finding himself under growing pressure at Anfield after overseeing their worst losing run since 1987, is waiting to find out the extent of the injury problems with Albert Riera and Martin Kelly also struggling with knocks.

"We have just too many problems, I cannot remember an injury situation like this," bemoaned Benitez.

"There are other players with other problems, I have no idea what team I can put out against Manchester United until we have had the players tested and seen by the medical team."

The Spaniard also explained the decision to take off Yossi Benayoun and send on Andriy Voronin in the closing stages against Lyon - a choice that was booed by the Kop.

"The fans know Yossi is a good player, but I felt he was getting a little tired and I wanted to use some fresh legs. We needed to change something, to put a fresher man on, and it was a chance worth taking," concluded Benitez.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5641594,00.html

Torres, Gerrard and Johnson major doubts? sh*t.

redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Re: Benitez bemoans injury woes
      Reply #1: Oct 21, 2009 09:58:04 am
      I may go to Church on Sunday Morning :angel: :angel:

Possibly not having Torres and Gerrard is obviously a huge blow, but losing another attcking player on Johnson is a big loss. Kelly did a fantastic job in deputising for him, but now he's injured!

Rafa has to do a proper mind job on our boys for Sunday as the scum will be out for revenge for last season.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #2: Oct 21, 2009 10:04:06 am
      We are in the sh*t if Torres and Gerrard aren't playing. I thought taking Gerrard off last night was just a precaution and that Torres is supposed to be fit?  ???
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Oct 21, 2009 10:20:42 am
      Is this Rafa's atempt of Mind Games? I Hope so  :-\
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Oct 21, 2009 10:22:02 am
      Is this Rafa's atempt of Mind Games? I Hope so  :-\

I hope so too.

Otherwise, much like the Lyon game, I'll be worried.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Oct 21, 2009 10:29:08 am
      We'll battle on. We always do.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #6: Oct 21, 2009 10:39:50 am

We may battle - but we aren't looking very good are we!  Our strength in depth is weak, and that's a major concern.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Oct 21, 2009 10:44:01 am
      If you saw St John last night he was in no doubt that a lot of the players on show last night were not good enough for Liverpool.Without Gerrard and Torres we are lost.
      But that got me thinking what happend when St John and Hunt, Toshack and Keegan, Rush and Kenny didnt play I cant remember them being out for too many games.With the extra number of internationals the players now have to play are they too stretched and always close to an injury. Which means in reallity we need 2 Gerrards and 2 Torres to be able to compete. All that being said in reallity we are woefully short of quality in the squad when I see Ngog after seeing the likes of the players I have already mentioned it doesnt look good.Unless we have a major clearout and buy quality in January (remember Gary Mcallister) I am worried were we will finish.
      We are a club in crisis on and off the field until the Yanks either F**k off or die we are going nowhere only backwards.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #8: Oct 21, 2009 11:00:28 am
      We may battle - but we aren't looking very good are we!  Our strength in depth is weak, and that's a major concern.
      And who's F***ing fault is that? who wanted to buy and strengthen the squad but was told there were insufficient funds,where has the money gone from the Xabi sale gone? and who has given the manager an £11m season limit on transfers till further notice?
      The clubs demeanor is due entirely to the American FUCKWITS and I for one can take some small comfort in the knowledge that the cu*ts will be a tad concerned after the Lyon defeat, actually I'm perversely happy that the club are not making the F**k up work for them by ensuring they get an income for the sides progress to which they contribute F**k ALL.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #9: Oct 21, 2009 11:03:40 am
      And who's f**king fault is that? who wanted to buy and strengthen the squad but was told there were insufficient funds,where has the money gone from the Xabi the sale and who has given the manager an £11m season limit on transfers till further notice?
      The clubs demeanor is due entirely to the American FUCKWITS and I for one can take some small comfort in the knowledge that the cu*ts will be a tad concerned after the Lyon defeat, actually I'm perversely happy that the club are not making the f**k up work for them by ensuring they get an income for the sides progress to which they contribute F**k ALL.

Agree mate - they do take a major part of the blame.  But Rafa's signings to date haven't been great.  And that's the truth.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #10: Oct 21, 2009 11:10:31 am
      Agree mate - they do take a major part of the blame.  But Rafa's signings to date haven't been great.  And that's the truth.

::)  Yeah, Torres has been a disastrous signing hasn't he?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Oct 21, 2009 11:11:36 am

There's some truth in that. Look at Dossena, Bellamy and Keane. They were/are all pretty crap.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #12: Oct 21, 2009 11:13:21 am

You've picked one signing - let's look at all the successes and failures.  Smug are we?!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Oct 21, 2009 11:15:20 am
      You've picked one signing - let's look at all the successes and failures.  Smug are we?!

You can't speak about smug.

You've come back here posting when we're losing, yet again. Pathetic. Enjoy your annual 20 or so posts though, won't you?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #14: Oct 21, 2009 11:15:48 am
      There's some truth in that. Look at Dossena, Bellamy and Keane. They were/are all pretty crap.

True, he's not perfect.  But then he also signed Reina, Alonso, Garcia, Masch, Crouch to name a few other successes.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #15: Oct 21, 2009 11:17:05 am
      You can't speak about smug.

You've come back here posting when we're losing, yet again. Pathetic. Enjoy your annual 20 or so posts though, won't you?

Listen - I didn't come back at the end of the season - when we won nothing did I?? 

So I have every right to be smug!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Oct 21, 2009 11:17:55 am
      True, he's not perfect.  But then he also signed Reina, Alonso, Garcia, Masch, Crouch to name a few other successes.

I would agree that Rafa has made some really quality signings but I think we've signed more average players than good ones even.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #17: Oct 21, 2009 11:19:25 am
      True, he's not perfect.  But then he also signed Reina, Alonso, Garcia, Masch, Crouch to name a few other successes.

????????

Garcia - Crouch - don't play for us any more...and were sold because they were surpless to requirements.

There's a lot more bad than good I'm afraid.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #18: Oct 21, 2009 11:19:29 am
      Rafas signings here we go. If you want 4 players to replace players leaving the squad because of age or just not good enough then you need upwards of £60mil so when you only have £20 mil to buy 4 and you need 1 quality player you can do the maths and hence we have Ngog and Lucas rather than Villa and Silva.How much would a fit Sami cost and we replace him with a £2.5 mil player.When Rafa weeded out th elikes of Mellor.Traore etc we should of had a major 1 off investment of £100mil which we all thought the Yanks were bringing.Wrong Rafa has had to sell to buy if you sell a player for £5mil you will not get one in worth £20mil.Torres is his only major signing over £20 mil and hey presto we have the quality we desire.Johnson was expensive but is fantastic going forward which is what fullback are required to do these days.Give him the money and the proper support and he will succeed no doubt.But that will not happen under the Yanks.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #19: Oct 21, 2009 11:19:54 am
      Agree mate - they do take a major part of the blame.  But Rafa's signings to date haven't been great.  And that's the truth.
      If you got peanuts to spend what can you buy? The manager has made a couple of big signings Torres and Alonso, off the top of my head the rest have been bargain basement stuff on that premise you cannot hope to compete with the money clubs. The situation at manUre is getting tighter they have had some extremely lucky on field escapes of late and their finances are starting to bite, where has all the dosh gone they got for ladyboy? No doubt the same place the Alonso cash disappeared to - shoreing up the owners finances.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #20: Oct 21, 2009 11:21:35 am
      Actually, can we keep this thread on-topic please.

This is about injuries, not signings.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #21: Oct 21, 2009 11:28:14 am
      I would agree that Rafa has made some really quality signings but I think we've signed more average players than good ones even.

Not disgreeing with you, but take the recent transfer kitty into account and he's not been able to buy quality.  Apart from Johnson who started very well but his form has tailed off, along with the whole team.  Who knows what Aquilani is going to give us, a lot I hope.  In the past I agree he's gambled on players who never settled.  Babel is a huge disappointment.  That lad could have it all, he's got the talent, but he doesn't seem to be arsed.

It's the quality players that make the difference though, there's always going to be some deadwood that doesn't work out.  Take Robbie Keane.  I was made up when he signed, but what a disappointment he was.  But the core of the team, apart from Carra and Gerrard who were already here, is made up of quality Rafa signings.  Just because we're not playing well at the moment doesn't mean they are not quality players.  

Edit: Sorry, posted this too late.

Back on T, it is a dismal situation for Rafa.  Half the team are crocked.  Just hope the knocks are not that serious.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #22: Oct 21, 2009 11:32:11 am
      As someone said earlier the reason we got so many injuries is all these stupid internationals and they really take the piss with the "friendlies" WTF is that all that about?

Quick Reply