Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Back to basics?

Read 824 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,217 posts | 1646 
      Back to basics?
      Oct 21, 2009 05:38:00 pm
      We are conceding a sh*t-load of goals at the moment, and it's uncharacteristic of our team, but as it doesn't just seem to be a slump maybe we need to go back to basics? When a manager comes in the first thing they would normally do is make the team difficult to beat, every top team is built on a strong defence. That's what we need, Rafa is very good at making teams difficult to break down, and that's what he should do now for a few games, get a few clean sheets, restore confidence in the defence and then gradually start to allow us more freedom as we attack.

I know it's a very negative move, but at the end of the day, if it stops us conceding and gets the defence playing as a unit again then it's the best for everyone.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Back to basics?
      Reply #1: Oct 21, 2009 05:55:01 pm
      Or we could go back to Madrid and say "Mr Perez, can we have Xabi and Arbeloa back please ?"  :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously tho mate I get what your saying, sometimes you just have to win ugly and if that means going back to basics, focusing on our defense and hoping to pinch a goal or two on the counter then so be it. Wins and Runs breed confidence and as that is something we are clearly lacking at the moment, then it certainly would be an avenue I'd consider exploring as its a results game and come May we will be judged on our results.

Back to Basics was a nightclub in Leeds, I can remember when I was in there in my raving days and the place set on fire :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8677 
      Reply #2: Oct 21, 2009 07:03:12 pm
      Back to Basics was a nightclub in Leeds, I can remember when I was in there in my raving days and the place set on fire :)

The roof?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #3: Oct 21, 2009 07:07:37 pm

:lmao: Nice one HR.

I used to have a back to basics Jon Pleased Wimmin tape. Loved it!

On topic, although we were winning games at the back end of last season we were conceding a shitload of goals. That worried me then. If it wasn't for the fact we were scoring even more then we would have really struggled (statin' the bleedin' obvious there I know). But defensively we must sharpen up. A good foundation in defence and quality and strength and creativity in midfield, plus good link up with the front man/men is a must for any successful team. The way we're playing at the moment we don't seem to have any of those qualities.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Oct 21, 2009 07:10:51 pm

Chill out room, sharp got warmed up..............

Spot on Gow couldn't agree more mate, we are lacking in all areas whether that be to form, injuries tactics what ever but it needs addressing

Quick Reply