Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Best game you have ever been to and why?

Read 7939 times
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 814 posts | 29 
      Best game you have ever been to and why?
      Oct 30, 2009 09:29:41 am
      I've been lucky to enough to experience some great football games at Anfield, away from Anfield, and at Cardiff. So thought this would be a good chance to bring up some happy memories. Be great to hear from the older members of the forum.

One of the best games I've ever been to, was at home to Man United. Think the year was 96 (It was the year Newcastle were fighting for the league)

United & Newcastle were neck and neck in the league and it was towards the end of the season - Utd had to come to Anfield.

They were 2-0 up and holding on and after exteme Liverpool pressure, we came back and drew 2-2.

The place erupted, many many fans stayed behind after the game and sang 'always look on the bright side of life' - The mancs were fumin.

So there you go Newcastle go and win the league...

But they didn't  :f_wah:
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2009 03:56:17 pm by fazza21 »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Best game you have ever been to and why?
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2009 10:25:34 am
      Manchester United 0 - 1 Liverpool

My first ever game, Danny Murphy free kick was the winner.

Liverpool 6 - 1 Hull City

More reasons than meets the eye, I loved every second of that match.

Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke City

Simply because I had amazing seats - I'm not sure if I'll have ever have seats as good as that again!
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2009 10:49:10 am
      The second leg last year at stamford bridge the 4 all match it was savage...
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2009 10:58:01 am
      The last game I took my Dad to before he died was against Utd when we went 3-0 down at Anfield and came back to 3-3 It must have been 1996 I think.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4: Oct 30, 2009 11:00:30 am
      Man Utd, Anfield, 09
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 30, 2009 11:00:48 am
      In the times ive been at Liverpool hmmm the 4 - 4 against Arsenal last season was good, and also the 2 - 0 against the scum

I havent been able to go for that many seasons in person though
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,514 posts | 2873 
      Reply #6: Oct 30, 2009 11:11:25 am
      Well I wasn't lucky enough to go to Anfield when I was smaller so the only times I've been have been in this decade. Doesn't mean I haven't been to some special games though!

Olympiakos was amazing as was the semi final against Chelsea. Words couldn't describe that atmosphere! The Cup Final in 2006 was boss too.

In the league it would probably be the win over the Mancs last weekend. The place was rocking and it was a special day. Hadn't been to Anfield since the Villa win last season so it was great to be back! ;D
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #7: Oct 30, 2009 11:51:20 am
      Fa cup final 2006 was great.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #8: Oct 30, 2009 12:01:28 pm
      Liverpool 5-0 Singapore pre-season friendly.

Coming from Singapore, my chances to watch Liverpool play in real life have been really scarce, so when I heard the reds coming down to Singapore somewhere in April, I grabbed the opportunity and did my utmost to attend everything that was organised. Attended autograph sessions and training sessions as well, but the 5-0 win at the stadium was the most memorable one.

When I'm older though, I'm planning to migrate (if possible, to study or something). If that ain't possible, then I'll make yearly trips to Anfield for a week or so to catch the games. Nothing like it being at Anfield, especially on a European night.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #9: Oct 30, 2009 12:07:52 pm
      I went to the 3-3 at home to charlton, wasn't that long ago either, think they had just been promoted
      although it was 2 points dropped, it was a really exciting game.

I was lucky enough to go to goodison as well when Gary Mac scored that peach of a free kick that caught Paul Gerrard out.

My first match was special. Was home to Fulham, think it was a League cup game and Fowler made his debut or he had just broke into the team can't remember ( I was about 5), and we won 5-0 and Fowler scored all 5 i think. Was brilliant !
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 30, 2009 03:20:46 pm
      Liverpool 5-0 Singapore pre-season friendly.

Coming from Singapore, my chances to watch Liverpool play in real life have been really scarce, so when I heard the reds coming down to Singapore somewhere in April, I grabbed the opportunity and did my utmost to attend everything that was organised. Attended autograph sessions and training sessions as well, but the 5-0 win at the stadium was the most memorable one.

When I'm older though, I'm planning to migrate (if possible, to study or something). If that ain't possible, then I'll make yearly trips to Anfield for a week or so to catch the games. Nothing like it being at Anfield, especially on a European night.

I have a question, not being racist or un PC but why do so many foreigners support english clubs? PL may be the top division but even when the Italian league or whatever was, id never dream of supporting a team outside my country, I live 40 miles away from Liverpool and sometimes get asked why them, but some fans come from 4000 miles away just seems all a bit silly to me

I am still In the line of Liverpool don’t have home games, it’s a game at home because 98% of the time tourists dictate dreadful atomsphere
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8677 
      Reply #11: Oct 30, 2009 03:30:59 pm
      I've been lucky to enough to experience some great football games at Anfield, away from Anfield, and at Cardiff. So thought this would be a good chance to bring up some happy memories. Be great to here from the older members of the forum.

One of the best games i've ever been to, was at home to Man United. Think the year was 96 (It was the year Newcastle were fighting for the league)

United & Newcastle were neck and neck in the league and it was towards the end of the season - Utd had to come to Anfield.

They were 2-0 up and holding on and after exteme Liverpool pressure, we came back and drew 2-2.

The place erupted, many many fans stayed behind after the game and sang 'always look on the bright side of life' - The mancs were fumin.

If you thought that game was boss, you should of seen the way Anfield erupted when we stopped them winning the league in 92 thanks to Rushie and Mark Walters, this was the game when Always Look On The Brightside Of Life first kicked off and the at the time famous You Lost the League On Merseyside.

But for me there will only be ONE best game:

Istanbul 25/05/05

No other explanation needed!
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #12: Oct 30, 2009 03:35:40 pm
      istanbul- what a day and game
      inter milan - italy is boss and  it was the first proper torres bounce for me were eveyone was doin it. oh ye and be won
      leverkusen-watched it in a bar outside the ground cause i couldnt get a ticket seen rafa in a boozer in cologn boss trip
      bolton in the cup final wen we won 2-1 i was only a kid and i didnt no i was goin down but me mums fella brought home 4 tickets for it so we drove down and it was boss the old wembley was class
      baines77
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 30, 2009 03:37:22 pm
      The last game I took my Dad to before he died was against Utd when we went 3-0 down at Anfield and came back to 3-3 It must have been 1996 I think.

No m8, I think it was 1994??  I was there myself in the kop. What a game that was!!!.  Nigel Clough twice, and Razor Ruddock 5 mins from the end 3 - 3 against the scum.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Oct 30, 2009 03:39:07 pm
      If you thought that game was boss, you should of seen the way Anfield erupted when we stopped them winning the league in 92 thanks to Rushie and Mark Walters, this was the game when Always Look On The Brightside Of Life first kicked off and the at the time famous You Lost the League On Merseyside.

But for me there will only be ONE best game:

Istanbul 25/05/05

No other explanation needed!

Jealous!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8677 
      Reply #15: Oct 30, 2009 03:40:23 pm
      No m8, I think it was 1994??  I was there myself in the kop. What a game that was!!!.  Nigel Cloughe twice, and Razor Ruddock 5 mins from the end 3 - 3 against the scum.

1993, was in the kop as well. The flares that night were F***ing boss. Pissed all over United's support that night, so much so that even the Manchester Evening News included a pic of the kop on its front page, whereas the echo ran a shithouse story trying to catch the lads who had flares.
      bmorelfc
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 30, 2009 03:44:38 pm
      Since I have never been to Anfield, I would say USA v Costa Rica a few weeks back at RFK stadium in Washington DC cam eback to draw 2-2 to win the concacaf hex and had a big tribute to Charlie Davies it was very emotional
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8677 
      Reply #17: Oct 30, 2009 03:48:52 pm
      Can't believe no-one has said the two 4-3's against Newcastle.

Had everything them games, more so the first one, especially sitting in the Paddock right next to the Newcastle fans.
      Boss atmospheres, mad celebrations and a mutual appreciation in the days when both sets of supporters used to actually get on!
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #18: Oct 30, 2009 03:50:40 pm
      i too couldnt imagine supporting a fotball club outside of my own country, or out of my local town or city for that matter. Although its easier for me to say that because i am British and from Liverpool so i have this mighty club on my doorstep.

I do welcme foreign support, the more the merrier, but the annoying thing for me is the way Liverpool Football Club priortize tickets. I think it should be sorted out on how close you live to Anfield. I don't think its fair when I, or any other local supporter, who have been going the game all our/their lives, can't get a ticket to a match and then you see a foreign fan inside the ground who can barely speak a word of English.

Maybe thats a little harsh/bit selfish? I'm not sure?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8677 
      Reply #19: Oct 30, 2009 03:52:01 pm
      i too couldnt imagine supporting a fotball club outside of my own country, or out of my local town or city for that matter. Although its easier for me to say that because i am scouse and from Liverpool so i have this mighty club on my doorstep.

I do welcme foreign support, the more the merrier, but the annoying thing for me is the way Liverpool Football Club priortize tickets. I think it should be sorted out on how close you live to Anfield. I don't think its fair when I, or any other local supporter, who have been going the game all our/their lives, can't get a ticket to a match and then you see a foreign fan inside the ground who can barely speak a word of English.

Maybe thats a little harsh/bit selfish? I'm not sure?

Changed it for you!!
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #20: Oct 30, 2009 03:53:04 pm
      re: Huyton red.

went both them games mate and yeah, they were both fantastic. In the anfield road end for both so it was great being next to the toon army when the winners went in ;D
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #21: Oct 30, 2009 03:53:41 pm

don't get that?
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #22: Oct 30, 2009 03:54:09 pm
      ah, got it now, scouse ;D.

Quick Reply