Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Biggest Rivals?

Man Utd
      206 (86.6%)
      Chelsea
      9 (3.8%)
      Everton
      23 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Biggest/Fiercest Rivals

Read 35457 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Biggest/Fiercest Rivals
      Reply #207: Jan 11, 2011 05:55:06 pm
      My biggest rival is Makoshi Mukaluka, the bas**rds always stealing my goji berries.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #208: Jan 11, 2011 06:50:19 pm
      Everton still for me.

The Mancs are a shithouse club who only talk it up on game week.

You can see the difference in the tackling, the attitudes and the emotion in a game against Everton and a game against the Mancs. Those deluded wankers (the Mancs) think they're a bigger club and build a rivalry through that. We've been through rivalries like that before and they have faded - once the Mancs fade, we'll still be neighbours with Everton and will still have more heated moments with them.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #209: Jan 11, 2011 07:18:16 pm
      What about Arsenal? They were big rivals last time Kenny was in charge!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #210: Jan 11, 2011 07:24:19 pm
      Everton still for me.

You can see the difference in the tackling, the attitudes and the emotion in a game against Everton and a game against the Mancs. Those deluded wankers (the Mancs) think they're a bigger club and build a rivalry through that. We've been through rivalries like that before and they have faded - once the Mancs fade, we'll still be neighbours with Everton and will still have more heated moments with them.
      If you were told you can beat either side 5-0 home and away at the start of the season, are you saying you would pick Everton?

People from Merseyside understand the Everton rivalry more but for me because there is a lack of Everton fans in Ireland and 50-50 between us and United, I find that rivalry more fierce.

I also prefer to beat United because Everton will generally finish below us and we need to stop United as usually we are in competition with them.

You have Barcelona vs Real madrid.

Liverpool vs Man United is just as big!! The rivalry in England. Our biggest rivals without doubt.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #211: Jan 11, 2011 07:50:02 pm
      Deffo the Mancs.

I hate everything about them; Awex Ferwguson, Neville, Cantona (broke my heart as a kid in the cup final), Rooney, Scholes, Ruud Van Horseface etc... but most of all I hate their fans.

Given that I live in Scotland this doesn't quite have the same weight but I have never met a Manchester United fan who is from Manchester... not once (everyone I know from Manchester or have met has been a City fan, probably a coincidence but pretty telling if you ask me). And of all my many 'friends' who 'support' them only 3 have ever been to OT, most of their fans are half-interested glory hunters who have no real clue about what the club is about (actually glory-hunting is exactly what that club is about), they don't know the history (more than once someone has asked 'Who's Matt Busby?' in a footie debate) and they usually know f**k all about football in general.

Another thing that I hate about them is that near Aberdeen, where I went to school, the default position for every single male is to be an Aberdeen fan (who never go to watch them!) and to protest, a little too much, that because of Alex Ferguson being the Aberdeen manager in the 80's that justifies them being a half-interested, Sky Sports worshipping, clueless Manc.

I was the only kid in my primary school who supported Liverpool and probably one of about 3 kids I know at secondary school. That area of Scotland is a glory-hunting, Manc-apologising haven and I never heard the end of it.

Luckily now I live in Glasgow and there are a little more of us about ;)

KS67- I know what you mean. I,m from Peterhead and there are far too many glory hunting Mancs for my liking. I now live in Blackburn, between Aberdeen and Inverurie and you can see my 2 boys going to school every day wearing there Liverpool hats with pride. There are still more glory hunters here but we do have a few Liverpool supporters. Hopefully King Kenny can get us winning again and im sure the glory hunters would quickly chance allegiance, but we dont want them.
      You dont choose Liverpool to support, Liverpool chooses you.

IKWT.

priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #212: Jan 11, 2011 07:54:14 pm
      Surprised to see this thread again, after all I started it nearly 4years ago!  ;D

Have to say tho I guess I was caught up in all the RB/JM and semi final games, Chelsea are just another game now, yes there big but the Manc's and the bitters are definitely bigger games..
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #213: Jan 11, 2011 08:09:52 pm
      Surprised to see this thread again, after all I started it nearly 4years ago!  ;D

Have to say tho I guess I was caught up in all the RB/JM and semi final games, Chelsea are just another game now, yes there big but the Manc's and the bitters are definitely bigger games..
      Whoever voted Chelsea needs their head checked!
      LYNCH
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 40 posts |
      Reply #214: Jan 11, 2011 08:25:49 pm
      DLS i cannot really disagree with any of your detailed synopsis. I guess it is different if you are living on Merseyside which i am not. Here in Ireland it is typically Liverpool or United in terms of English clubs. Some of my best mates are United fans and they are fine. They respect LFC and like me find any untoward reference to Munich, Heysel or Hillsborough despicable. That is for another thread methinks.
      What history though mate? Leaving aside the "Busby Babes" what history do they have? Granted they've had one or two great players in between Busby and the Premiership - Bryan Robson and erm...maybe somebody else can help me out. But other than that, there really isn't a history there let alone with us.

If we're talking geography, then Everton is obviously our biggest rival. They're on our door step. They were playing at Anfield long before we were. They have a history, before the Premiership era Everton had won 9 League titles - United had 7. Five of which came under Busby as I mentioned. So they had two League titles before the 50s. Everton were our biggest threat in the 80s. United have only been our biggest threat since the Premiership, which is why I said most of their history started during the Premiership era. Everton never dominated the English League, but won League titles in 6 out of 10 decades on the 20th Century - one they didn't being the 90s (Premiership era). Contrast that to United who won a League title in 5 out of the 10 decades that Century. None between 1911 and 1952 - forty f**king years.

United have been a nothing club their entire existence for the exception of two era's - Busby and Ferguson. Before Busby and in between the two legendary Scots, they were nothing. The rivalry was only there due to the close proximity of the two clubs although we don't have this rivalry with any other north-west side, just United thinking they were a big club when they weren't. Fair enough they are now, the Premiership era.

As for the tragedy, Everton have had theirs both for and against. It may of been 96 Liverpool fans who passed away in 89 but I can guarentee Everton fans lost loved ones, mates and neighbours just as much. Those events at Hillsborough hurt Everton Football Club's fans as well as our own. The 89 Cup Final shows that when both supporters are singing Merseyside and Are You Watching Manchester? The scarves tied together between Anfield and Goodison show that. The number of Everton fans who go to the service every year shows that. While it was our supporters that, sadly, passed on. It was Merseyside who lost 96 friends. And, some, Everton fans will tell you that because of Heysel in 85, they never got the chance to rule English football. Had the Heysel disaster not happened, then maybe United would still be a nothing club and Everton would be the closest challengers to our 18 League titles. But the Everton supporters need to realise that it wasn't our fault for the Heysel disaster, it was UEFA's for staging the European Cup final in a stadium that a strong breeze would of blew down.

United's tragedy in Munich, isn't easy to talk about either. That may of cost them the chance to dominate the game like they were tipped to do. But it's these tragedies that bring home, football is only a game. And while I will always hate Everton and United, all three clubs know that football is a game. And I wouldn't wish pain on decent Everton or United fan. I don't hate people for supporting those clubs, I hate the fact that they support those clubs if that makes sense.

But I still remain of the fact Everton is our most fieriest rivalry. It has been built up from day one, due to the ground. It still remains a stick some bitters beat us with. They still claim to be winning titles at Anfield before we even existed. The passion I see from the players of the 70s and 80s when talking about the Derby is far more than anything mentioned towards United. The Reds and Blues DVD while being a little far fetched in the way it is, there are also a lot of truths in it. That shows the rivalry and how it is.

Maybe being from Liverpool and experiencing the build up to the Derby first hand makes me somewhat biased. Having a best mate who is a f**king bitter makes me somewhat biased because nothing beats winding him up. And I think one of the reasons why it gets to me so much against Everton is because our games with them now, now that they're a middle of the road club, are their major cup finals. They're sole interest every season is beating us which has always made me more determined to see us beat them. I think United set their sights slightly higher than just ensuring they beat us every year.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #215: Jan 11, 2011 09:23:12 pm
      DLS i cannot really disagree with any of your detailed synopsis. I guess it is different if you are living on Merseyside which i am not. Here in Ireland it is typically Liverpool or United in terms of English clubs. Some of my best mates are United fans and they are fine. They respect LFC and like me find any untoward reference to Munich, Heysel or Hillsborough despicable. That is for another thread methinks.

That I can understand mate, the Merseyside derby isn't as bigged up around the world as Liverpool United games. That, I can only imagine, is down to the fact that we're the two biggest clubs in English football while Everton really are a middle of the road club these days. Some Scousers still see United as the biggest game but nothing comes close to Everton for me.

This Sunday's game has extra meaning an all being Kenny's first game back at Anfield, the position we find ourselves in the League and I turn 20 on the same day. ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #216: Jan 12, 2011 01:36:53 am
      Everton still for me.

Once again i find myself having to defend myself against the same moderator time and time again  >:(  You don't even say most Mancs to be diplomatic  :-\. I donated over £100 to the forum in the last few months and yet still get insulted by you. Your quick to take my money though aren't you  :f_steam:

That's the last time i donate to the forum unless i get a apology from you. Coming from members is one thing. However, coming from someone who holds a postion on the moderation staff team is another thing.

JD you really need to have a word with young Crouchy cos this can't go on. Ive always been polite when i post, never rub salt in when things haven't been going to well for the Liverpool supporters and yet i still get the young offender calling me a deluded w**ker.

Whats that saying about don't bite the hand that feeds you  :f_steam:

I await your comments JD and Crouchy.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #217: Jan 12, 2011 02:02:33 am
      I think the Derby is strictly a "Liverpool" rivalry for bragging rights.

But the LFC Man U matches are massive. Its the 2 biggest clubs in England and 2 of the top 5 biggest clubs in the world, both within a few miles of each other, both with 18 titles each and both with the 2 greatest managers in the history of Football in Shankly and Ferguson. Both cities have instant recognition, by name, to Football.

Both sets of fans are massive supporters to their respected club, both teams have walls full of Cups. Liverpool won 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, 7 League Cups...Man U won 3 European Cups, 11 FA Cups and 4 League Cups.

Every Man U fan loves watching Liverpool lose and I know I love seeing Man U fail. Even watching on TV you can feel the electricity in the air before the match starts.

Their is no bigger or more heated rivalry in all of Football.  None.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #218: Jan 12, 2011 02:07:08 am
      both with the 2 greatest managers in the history of Football in Shankly and Ferguson.

I think there's a fella named Bob Paisley who is more than worthy of being touted as the greatest manager in football's history. What he achieved is unparalleled by anybody. 6 League titles, 3 European Cups, 3 League Cups all within 9 years and probably had the hardest job in football by having to replace Bill Shankly.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #219: Jan 12, 2011 02:48:10 am
      Sorry but, it has and always will be Everton.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #220: Jan 12, 2011 03:46:38 am
      If you were told you can beat either side 5-0 home and away at the start of the season, are you saying you would pick Everton?

People from Merseyside understand the Everton rivalry more but for me because there is a lack of Everton fans in Ireland and 50-50 between us and United, I find that rivalry more fierce.

I also prefer to beat United because Everton will generally finish below us and we need to stop United as usually we are in competition with them.

You have Barcelona vs Real madrid.

Liverpool vs Man United is just as big!! The rivalry in England. Our biggest rivals without doubt.

Rather Everton for me. It's a bigger battle, the atmosphere is electric, the tackles are harder, it's fiercer. That's just me though.

I agree, it's a massive game that holds prestige right now but our rivalry with Everton stretches back to when we started as a club, the rivalry with the Mancs started when they got envious and tried to belittle our achievements.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #221: Jan 12, 2011 03:59:23 am
      Rather Everton for me. It's a bigger battle, the atmosphere is electric, the tackles are harder, it's fiercer. That's just me though.

I agree, it's a massive game that holds prestige right now but our rivalry with Everton stretches back to when we started as a club, the rivalry with the Mancs started when they got envious and tried to belittle our achievements.
      But are there many Toffees in Australia for you to brag and have the banter with?

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #222: Jan 12, 2011 04:14:47 am
      Nope, but to be honest there aren't many football fans here to banter with. Period. My highs and lows are experienced through the forum and can share in success/defeat on here so i feel results moreso online, than through people here.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #223: Jan 12, 2011 04:21:05 am
      Nope, but to be honest there aren't many football fans here to banter with. Period. My highs and lows are experienced through the forum and can share in success/defeat on here so I feel results moreso online, than through people here.
      I see that. If you lived in Ireland like myself, you would be like me though.

Because most fans are either Liverpool or United and it can get heated. Both clubs are very much Irish related.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #224: Jan 12, 2011 04:24:04 am
      Once again I find myself having to defend myself against the same moderator time and time again  >:(  You don't even say most Mancs to be diplomatic  :-\. I donated over £100 to the forum in the last few months and yet still get insulted by you. Your quick to take my money though aren't you  :f_steam:

That's the last time I donate to the forum unless I get a apology from you. Coming from members is one thing. However, coming from someone who holds a postion on the moderation staff team is another thing.

JD you really need to have a word with young Crouchy cos this can't go on. Ive always been polite when I post, never rub salt in when things haven't been going to well for the Liverpool supporters and yet I still get the young offender calling me a deluded w**ker.

When you are on a Liverpool forum, you can expect United and Mancs to be ridiculed. I know it is the same on Republik of Mancunia or the Cafe.

I call one of my best friends Manc scum. Its banter. Get over it Keith.
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011 04:28:52 am by crouchinho »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #225: Jan 12, 2011 04:30:19 am
      I see that. If you lived in Ireland like myself, you would be like me though.

Because most fans are either Liverpool or United and it can get heated. Both clubs are very much Irish related.

That would make a difference. Here, it's all the big 4 being supported but no one has any idea. They just claim to follow a club but don't really follow them at all. I don't waste my time debating with them because all they do is say for example 'OMG you guys lost to Blackpool. Your so sh*t.' etc. etc.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #226: Jan 12, 2011 04:37:06 am
      Yeah I would love the Aussie live but I would hate the following football part.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #227: Jan 12, 2011 04:38:29 am
      That would make a difference. Here, it's all the big 4 being supported but no one has any idea. They just claim to follow a club but don't really follow them at all. I don't waste my time debating with them because all they do is say for example 'OMG you guys lost to Blackpool. Your so sh*t.' etc. etc.
      Can't F***ing stand those sort of people (sadly there in the majority). It makes me laugh when you ask a United "supporter" who their favourite player is and the say Beckham or occasionally Ronaldo.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #228: Jan 12, 2011 04:41:18 am
      Can't f**king stand those sort of people (sadly there in the majority). It makes me laugh when you ask a United "supporter" who their favourite player is and the say Beckham or occasionally Ronaldo.
      Or when they call them Manchester Football Club. That annoys me.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #229: Jan 12, 2011 04:49:49 am
      Once again I find myself having to defend myself against the same moderator time and time again  >:(  You don't even say most Mancs to be diplomatic  :-\. I donated over £100 to the forum in the last few months and yet still get insulted by you. Your quick to take my money though aren't you  :f_steam:

That's the last time I donate to the forum unless I get a apology from you. Coming from members is one thing. However, coming from someone who holds a postion on the moderation staff team is another thing.

JD you really need to have a word with young Crouchy cos this can't go on. Ive always been polite when I post, never rub salt in when things haven't been going to well for the Liverpool supporters and yet I still get the young offender calling me a deluded w**ker.

Oh get the F**k over it. Jesus Keith, i have said time and time again that i respect you and like having you around. But thats diminishing every F***ing time you get your head up your ass over something that crouchy says. I have said mancs are wankers, many have said it. In that exact same way. And my best mate is a manc. The only reason you pick up on it is because you have a chip on your shoulder about crouchy, and feel you are better than him, which is evidenced every time you make some remark about "young crouchy" - you seem to think the fact your older means you are smarter or something.

And don't wave your wallet around and try and hold the forum ransom. It was fine before you got here, its been good while your here and im sure JD appreciates it - but im sure he aint gonna lose sleep over you having a whine because crouchy didn't give you a F***ing percentage of what manc fans are deluded wankers. You sitting there saying you have donated, and now will not until you get an apology tells me you feel like you have some sense of entitlement just because you are the nice generous manc. Whatever, im sick of logging into different threads and seeing you having a go at crouchy for no god damn reason apart from the fact that you feel like he is insulting you.

Honestly either get over it or leave the forum. It's a Liverpool forum, when people are talking about that team then there is gonna be some comments like that. Honestly if crouchy owes you an apology then you owe him one as well. Its that simple.

Anyways, back on topic. For me its man united at the moment, but i also see crouchies point. But the fact is i do not know a single Everton fan, whereas i know Mancs and hate seeing them happy :D Also the fact they are challenging for the honors we are, that intensifies it as well. I know if someone asked me who i would want the double over at the start of the season, the first word out of my mouth would be "Mancs!!"

Quick Reply