Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Lyon 1 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance

Read 32941 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Lyon 1 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance
      Reply #207: Nov 05, 2009 12:10:36 am
      I'd like to know what his arms are made of.  In the first game he saved Aurelio's header with an outstreched arm and tonight he did the same with a Lucas shot, and both times his arm was like a rock.  Has he got titanium implants or something?

Just in - Sky Sports News

Lloris reveals his saving secrets.

CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #208: Nov 05, 2009 12:13:05 am
      Yep bring on 'consistency' that's what I care about..won't bring politics into my threads again I promise :)
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #209: Nov 05, 2009 12:15:04 am
      I can't stop imagining what could have happened if babel had played in voronin's stead.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #210: Nov 05, 2009 12:15:36 am
      After all the losses it seems good enough reason to me :D Though im sick so tinnies may be a bad choice.

It was a step in the right direction tonight from all accounts im seeing, a real stroke of bad luck is all that kept us from 3 points. So lets take the good from the game and hope to build, like I said, bring on Birmingham!
      Sorry to hear that mate,keep off the nectar and have a cup of cocoa or hot milk. We need you back on the D-topic as soon as.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #211: Nov 05, 2009 12:17:00 am
      its not the end of the world, however i feel there seems to be an over dependance on the whole "we've done it before" when it comes to sticky situations in Europe. I mean yeah the 07/08 season 3 wins on the trot and the unforgetable Istanbul win were amazing but we cant just keep expecting to do it over and over and especially without key players who were the ones in these situations who got the rest of the team going (Gerrard, Alsonso etc).

However with players coming back to full fitness in the next few weeks hopefully we can get some influentual players playing and play with a much more spiritied performance like we did tonight, and hopefully get a bit more luck! Despite all ive said above a bit of blind faith wont hurt!!

Thing is though mate, that's what European experience is. When you've been there before and done it, you can use that experience to your advantage. I know what you're trying to say in regards to relying on it, but it's things like that that can pull you through.

We all know we're currently in a grim spell lately. But it's at times like this when you have to pull all what you have out of the bag. Especially when we're missing key players. That's where experience becomes more valuable.

As for us fans, well as you correctly say, a bit of blind faith won't hurt. Because we don't give in. And we've got every right to use our great past to our advantage. We don't rely on it, we just believe in it because we've seen it before. Which is more than can be said by a whole lot of other opposing fans.

Ironically, sometimes you need things to go bad for things get better. If we do go out because of tonight's result, then maybe this experience can be called upon in the future for us to be successful. Again.

Who knows. We're not out just yet.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #212: Nov 05, 2009 12:17:41 am
      I can't stop imagining what could have happened if babel had played in voronin's stead.
      Yep bring on 'consistency' that's what I care about..won't bring politics into my threads again I promise :)
      Explain?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #213: Nov 05, 2009 12:19:12 am

And, Liverpool, us, always get the results when they matter the most.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #214: Nov 05, 2009 12:24:12 am
      Thing is though mate, that's what European experience is. When you've been there before and done it, you can use that experience to your advantage. I know what you're trying to say in regards to relying on it, but it's things like that that can pull you through.

We all know we're currently in a grim spell lately. But it's at times like this when you have to pull all what you have out of the bag. Especially when we're missing key players. That's where experience becomes more valuable.

As for us fans, well as you correctly say, a bit of blind faith won't hurt. Because we don't give in. And we've got every right to use our great past to our advantage. We don't rely on it, we just believe in it because we've seen it before. Which is more than can be said by a whole lot of other opposing fans.

Ironically, sometimes you need things to go bad for things get better. If we do go out because of tonight's result, then maybe this experience can be called upon in the future for us to be successful. Again.

Mate,how many times do we have to instill the Attaturk mentality.Even young Scousers can't relate to our way,so the wools have got no chance.Blunt I'm sorry but at times like this we need strong Redmen to support Raffa and the team.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #215: Nov 05, 2009 12:27:03 am
      Well lets have this right, we outplayed a very good side tonight. But as has been typical of our luck this season one mistake cost us, where in the past Reina would save it or the striker would hit it wide.

We had the chances to win tonight though comfortably, but again, our luck just wasn't in.

I've got to hope it turns round sooner or later, starting with Birmingham and then in terms of the champions league Lyon could do us a favour in Florence.

Overall though can't blame anything there on any player or the manager, its just the way its going for us atm. We can still do this though
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #216: Nov 05, 2009 12:27:09 am

Have a think back to Babel's 102 previous appearances - might help you imagine a bit more.

Babel is no hold up the ball player.  In terms of tactics, we completely controlled the game.  If we had an in form Torres we would have dispatched them. We didn't have and thus we didn't.

Voronin's shot was poor but then if we're going to be sensible about it - Torres chance a few minute earlier was just as poor and he was right in the middle of the goal.

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #217: Nov 05, 2009 12:27:50 am
      Just in - Sky Sports News

Lloris reveals his saving secrets.

I bloody knew it!  Barsteward  :f_steam:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #218: Nov 05, 2009 12:31:15 am
      Ha! He was a bellend wasn't he.  He was awful.  I think I was desensitised to how bad he was after about 15 minutes so I forgot about him.

Proper pedantic European ref that was.

Be fair though Agger could easily have walked. He was bad for both.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #219: Nov 05, 2009 12:31:23 am
      Voronin's shot was poor but then if we're going to be sensible about it - Torres chance a few minute earlier was just as poor and he was right in the middle of the goal.

Watching the highlights, we really should have put at least two of our chances away.  Kuyt's header as well was another one.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #220: Nov 05, 2009 12:33:11 am
      You're obviously a late night Ladie,wan't to join our late night club?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #221: Nov 05, 2009 12:36:17 am
      Watching the highlights, we really should have put at least two of our chances away.  Kuyt's header as well was another one.
      You mean the cheeky lob? Don't remember a header.

Torres had an easy chance but he had not much time and had to take it with his weaker foot.
      Voronin, had ample time and could have pick his spot, cut back or whatever. I believe if it was Torres in that position, he would have buried it.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #222: Nov 05, 2009 12:39:43 am
      RedRoy....I assumed I had joined.  Can never sleep well when we lose  :(

Just meant I won't bring politics into any discussion about my beloved REDS  ;)
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #223: Nov 05, 2009 12:46:03 am
      Ryan Babel's goal was a peach but then 2 mins later he hits a shocker of a free-kick.

Proud of Liverpool tonight, dominated the game and looked comfortable passing the ball. Thought Lucas & Mascherano had a great game. The ref was a bit suspect in the first half with the free-kicks against Carra. Some bizarre decisions. Voronin does himself no favours at all.

Lisandro goal was a hard one to take no doubt about it but when theres a will theres a way. I sense another Olympiakos type night. Stick together lads.

YNWA IRWT
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #224: Nov 05, 2009 12:46:17 am
      You're obviously a late night Ladie,wan't to join our late night club?

RedRoy  :o  If you were talking to me, that makes me sound like a lady of the night!  :lmao:  And I'm a bonefide member of the lateish club, just working my way up to the proper late club!

You mean the cheeky lob? Don't remember a header.

Torres had an easy chance but he had not much time and had to take it with his weaker foot.
      Voronin, had ample time and could have pick his spot, cut back or whatever. I believe if it was Torres in that position, he would have buried it.

First half, he headed and their keeper tipped it over.  Edit I thought he headed, was it a lob?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #225: Nov 05, 2009 12:59:20 am
      I didn't see anything but the last 15 minutes, was at work. From the sounds of it we really should have won?!

Sounds like it was a decent ish performance though? that bodes well if we can start getting a few of the first teamers back.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #226: Nov 05, 2009 01:09:46 am
      They did themselves proud, we're still in with a chance albeit a very thin one.

Ryan Babel a scorer of brilliant goals as oppose to brilliant goal scorer. Hope he uses this to make in rhodes and better his form. That is truly a long shot, quite funny actually...but still great goal.

The team played with heart. Unfortunately we did not have a victory but nevertheless, well done to the lads. This is Liverpool we can only ask that one plays from the heart. YNWA
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #227: Nov 05, 2009 01:24:06 am
      Carra's post match interview. Nice to see some support for Rafa from Carra at the end.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5674791,00.html

Carra keeps faith in Reds

And vice-captain gives Benitez full backing to turn things around

Jamie Carragher vows Liverpool will fight to keep their UEFA Champions League hopes alive despite a late lapse in Lyon which left their qualification hopes hanging in the balance.

Lisandro Lopez's injury-time equaliser to cancel out Ryan Babel's 83rd minute screamer means progression into the last 16 of the Champions League is out of their hands.

The Reds must win their final two Group E matches, first at Debrecen before an Anfield showdown with second-placed Fiorentina, to stand any chance of a place in the knock-out stages.

But even then it could count for nothing should the Italians manage to beat Lyon in their own backyard later this month, yet Carragher has refused to concede the Merseysiders face an impossible task.
      Belief

"We still believe we will get through," said the veteran defender, who was forced to play at right-back in France after injuries ravaged the Premier League outfit's back-line.

"We know it's going to be difficult but we're not out of it yet. All we can do is win our next two games and see what happens.

"We have been in difficult positions before and we've come through like in 2005 and when we had to win in Marseille in the group stages and we came through. It's disappointing but a draw doesn't mean we're totally out of it."

Meanwhile, Carragher was quick to leap to the defence of besieged boss Rafa Benitez who is certain to come under more pressure following another setback for his inconsistent side.

Carragher added: "If you look at the manager's record in Europe we've won it and been to the final and semi-final and quarter-finals. So our Champions League record under the manager has been superb."
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #228: Nov 05, 2009 03:27:30 am
      I kicked my chair when i read they had equalised in added time.  >:(
      Its so F***ing annoying. We so badly needed a win here.
      But then, we are still within a chance, however slim it may be.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #229: Nov 05, 2009 05:59:14 am
      I breathed a sigh of relief when I read we would still be in it even if Fiorentina drew Lyon. I thought the only way was for Lyon to beat the Viola.

Fingers crossed, instead of cursing Lyon, I'll be, Come on Lyon!

Quick Reply