Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

The Final - and superstition!

Read 6055 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      The Final - and superstition!
      May 06, 2007 01:11:40 am
      Just wondering how many of you are all a bit superstitious when it comes to Liverpool,

or if you think it is a load of bull?

I probably won't get a ticket for Greece so I intend watching the game in the same pub in Liverpool with the same group of friends that I did for the 2005 European Cup Final.

Anybody else (who isn't going) planning on doing exactly the same things...or not?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: The Final - and superstition!
      Reply #1: May 06, 2007 01:28:06 am
      I'll be doing what I always do KK....watching it on my red couch, with my red boxer shorts on, my red nike t-shirt and my white with red nike tick socks on.....COME ON YOU REDS
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2: May 06, 2007 02:38:03 am
       I have a 26 year old LFC scarf that I wrap around my hand and hold to my mouth! It seems to work though it need a wash....think the old bad breathe is killing it though!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: May 06, 2007 09:57:09 am
      I'm hoping to go, but still have my superstition week in week out, my scarf is held together with muck !!  I still refuse to wash it - my mum even wanted to buy me one to go in my 'christmas stocking' but i refused point blank  ;) ;D ;D ;D   
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: May 06, 2007 11:26:31 am
      Just wondering how many of you are all a bit superstitious when it comes to Liverpool,

or if you think it is a load of bull?

I probably won't get a ticket for Greece so I intend watching the game in the same pub in Liverpool with the same group of friends that I did for the 2005 European Cup Final.

Anybody else (who isn't going) planning on doing exactly the same things...or not?
      I can't, I was in a pub by the Milennium Stadium, you guys might know it, The Queens Vaults?
      With some of the boys from school. As I can't get home for it to watch it with my dad, although if I was I'd be in The Victoria Park, I'm gonna be in my Uni's Student's Union - Never mind, I watched the FA Cup final there ;)
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: May 06, 2007 12:30:59 pm
      I'm hoping to go, but still have my superstition week in week out, my scarf is held together with muck !!  I still refuse to wash it - my mum even wanted to buy me one to go in my 'christmas stocking' but I refused point blank  ;) ;D ;D ;D   

I'll buy you a new one from Athens if we win smigs.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: May 06, 2007 02:16:59 pm
      Aw, thanks Tommo, hope i'm lucky enough to go, then i'll meet you there and you can give me it in person !!!  ;D  :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ:
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #7: May 09, 2007 04:11:19 pm
      I'm really getting a bit superstitious about it all.....my pals think I am daft!!!
      Going to watch it in Yates's in Liverpool I think.....same as 2005 and uefa cup 2001.....I was with the same friend on both of those occasions but.....she doesnt want to come with me this time as is a Man U fan and for obvious reasons is slightly gutted that they are out!!  So I am taking my sis along with me for moral support.....I darent go to a different pub cos I think Yates's is lucky for me.....also when I knew that the final was to be played on the 23rd weeks/months ago I just knew that we would make the final as the number 23 is my superstitious number........its all very weird!! ha!!!
       :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: May 09, 2007 04:21:59 pm
      Make sure you go to Yates' then Kirsty!

I am a bit superstious as well. If I'm watching the match in the house, I always have to have something LFC near me for when the ball goes out of play. I don't know why. ??? Just have to.

Don't you think it's funny the way the date of the final is on the 23rd. 2 * 3 = 6!!!
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #9: May 09, 2007 04:32:53 pm
      I like that, 2*3 are infact 6!!!!!!
      The whole night will drive me mad.....watching them literally makes me feel ill!!!!!  Until of course the game is over and we win and funnily enough I feel great then!! ha!!!!
      Yep its got to be Yates's, I can risk going to other bars before and after but for the game it has to be there......just got to keep with the superstition tradition!!!!
       8)
      Thunderlara
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 107 posts |
      Reply #10: May 09, 2007 04:35:48 pm
      My superstition is never predict the outcome
      If you say yeah yeah we're gonna win that's for sure ...it usually ends up the other way
      so before the match no predictions
      just be modest
      I think if you predict it brings bad luck
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2858 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: May 09, 2007 04:55:49 pm
      My Superstitions keep changing! They work for a while and then fail :'(. But myself and my good lady wife have one during penalty shootouts and so far its worked ;D, Can't tell you as it may not work, but it's nothing  pervy ::) honestly. Even works in the Pub.
      I hope all our superstions work on the 23rd, how many of you have your excuses all ready for the 24th and beyond, personally I have the whole week off :D, just hope I can enjoy it.
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #12: May 09, 2007 05:35:10 pm
      Its got to be the same pub in town, as 2005 for me............thing is I cant remember which one I ended up in???????
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #13: May 10, 2007 01:00:27 pm
      My superstition is never predict the outcome
      If you say yeah yeah we're gonna win that's for sure ...it usually ends up the other way
      so before the match no predictions
      just be modest
      I think if you predict it brings bad luck

exactly what mine is, for some reason i think me saying a score out loud will influence the cosmos to change who will win it ;D.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #14: May 10, 2007 01:12:01 pm
      Oh yes, i'll be going to the same pub with the same set of mates that i watched it in 2005, if i can remember what i was wearing i'll wear the same clothes too
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #15: May 10, 2007 01:18:34 pm
      If I watch it in the house then everyone has to assume the position they were in last time and seating arrangements can get tricky with a cat and dog involved but I have found a small amount of sedative in their tea and I can sit them where I like, the cat and dog that is!.(note to animal lovers I was joking, its the wife I drug!)
      In the house nobody is allowed to wear a Liverpool shirt on a match day as it has jinxed the team once or twice in the past, so at the final whistle it looks like a quick change artists convention is taking place.
      Does anyone else watch the match with someone who screams, twitches jumps around and generally looks like they are going to have a seizure even when its just a throw in?
      Because I tell you if my Missus put in as much effort into bedroom activities as she does watching the match I would be dead in a week! ;D
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2007 01:22:17 pm by Glenbuck »
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #16: May 10, 2007 01:24:15 pm
      I'll be doing what I always do KK....watching it on my red couch, with my red boxer shorts on, my red nike t-shirt and my white with red nike tick socks on.....COME ON YOU REDS

you do know are kit is made by adidas dont you??? ;)

home 06/07 liverpool shirt with a white adidas trackie top , Jeans, White nike air rifts with the red socks ;)

Cafe in town for 10.30 for breakfast, weather spoons from 11-12am to get started on it then 12pm till 1/2am in walkabout then home and watch it all over again on tv/sky sports news ;)

come on!! :)

Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #17: May 10, 2007 02:09:47 pm
      I like that, 2*3 are infact 6!!!!!!
      The whole night will drive me mad.....watching them literally makes me feel ill!!!!!  Until of course the game is over and we win and funnily enough I feel great then!! ha!!!!
      Yep its got to be Yates's, I can risk going to other bars before and after but for the game it has to be there......just got to keep with the superstition tradition!!!!
       8)

but 2+3 are infact 5 , so i wouldn`t trust in that one ;)
      anyway...i don`t even dare to make any predictions, and i don`t think it has any sense at all, it just makes it worse if they don`t live up to your expectations/predictions
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: May 10, 2007 03:50:20 pm
      If I watch it in the house then everyone has to assume the position they were in last time.
      Does anyone else watch the match with someone who screams, twitches jumps around and generally looks like they are going to have a seizure even when its just a throw in?
      Because I tell you if my Missus put in as much effort into bedroom activities as she does watching the match I would be dead in a week! ;D

:laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:
      I would suggest watching the match in the bedroom Glenbuck, but that's a defo no no isn't it mate  ;)

Same here though, if watching the match at home I HAVE to be in the same speck on the couch.

jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #19: May 10, 2007 04:03:31 pm

i twitch like hell ;D every time someone has a shot, i also clamp my jaw down so its clenched as hard as possible its a wonder ive got any teeth left.

before i leave to go the pub to watch the match i have to play fields of anfield road, ring of fire, and youll never walk alone before i go anywere.

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: May 10, 2007 04:12:05 pm
      :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:
      I would suggest watching the match in the bedroom Glenbuck, but that's a defo no no isn't it mate  ;)

Same here though, if watching the match at home I HAVE to be in the same speck on the couch.

On the run up to Istanbul I was ill but still managed to sit in my ā€œspeckā€ for the games, we win them all and get to the final. Then some knob at the hospital decides to operate on me the day before the final I agreed to it on the condition I was a day case and could go home to watch the game. Iā€™m sat in my usual speck in agony (no it wasnā€™t piles!) and we go three down so I thought oh well lets keep the score respectable and I went back to bed to watch the second half and hey presto the rest is history. So if we are losing at any point in Athens I will vacate my seat and try the bedroom approach my only concern is should I have an operation again the day before to keep my superstitions alive?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: May 10, 2007 04:18:45 pm
      On the run up to Istanbul I was ill but still managed to sit in my ā€œspeckā€ for the games, we win them all and get to the final. Then some knob at the hospital decides to operate on me the day before the final I agreed to it on the condition I was a day case and could go home to watch the game. Iā€™m sat in my usual speck in agony (no it wasnā€™t piles!) and we go three down so I thought oh well lets keep the score respectable and I went back to bed to watch the second half and hey presto the rest is history. So if we are losing at any point in Athens I will vacate my seat and try the bedroom approach my only concern is should I have an operation again the day before to keep my superstitions alive?
      You could go the hospital the day before and see if a nurse could perform a simple procedure on you? ;) I reckon you might just get away with that like...
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #22: May 11, 2007 03:05:51 pm
      Never lose a final .... except Heysel rubber !!

Quick Reply