Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Who hates their job?

Read 5182 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Who hates their job?
      Nov 17, 2009 12:26:21 am
      I don't want to hear from those who are all happy and content.  ;)

I have first hand experience of doing a job I hated (actually maybe not a job I hated - but definitely the imbeciles who were supposed to be running the place, as well as the ridiciulous F***ing hours I used to work).

So out of interest a) who doesn't like their job and b) how much of a pay cut (percentage or pounds) would you take to do a far more relaxed and enjoyable job?

(Not that I'm fishing  :f_whistle:)
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2009 12:33:34 am by JD »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Who hates their job?
      Reply #1: Nov 17, 2009 12:35:58 am
      I hate mine, but it's just a sh*t part time job at Superdrug in Stockport while I'm at Uni. I hate working in retail. I'd much rather sit behind a desk in an office and work part time there until I finish Uni. I know theres probably far worse part time jobs out there, but it does my nut. My wages have just gone down as well.

Plus, it's an absolute nightmare dealing with angry customers when you're hungover.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Nov 17, 2009 10:34:47 am
      My Hubby hates his job.....last week  he had a meeting with his boss, he's a real bully this bloke, yesterday he received a letter which was disgraceful, and accused him of not doing his job properly etc etc, my husband has been put on the sick by his Doctor for a month due to stress, he's never had a sick note in his life.

He's very depressed and down at the moment.....and not easy to live with.

I have first hand experience of doing a job I hated (actually maybe not a job I hated - but definitely the imbeciles who were supposed to be running the place.

This is the major problem, it's not that he doesn't like the job, it's the imbeciles who are so incapable of doing the simplest of things.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #3: Nov 17, 2009 10:49:41 am
      I thought I hated my job in the Council, but now I can confirm I did, I took a pay cut to go there for security but it ended up really boring, way too much legislation and "red tape", no flexibility or enjoyment.

Easy to see how people cruise along in jobs in public sector, but thats not for me, I'd rather have the threat of redundancy and change in private sector as it encourages me to raise my game.

However, it does seem that some managers are simply not cut out to be in management.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #4: Nov 17, 2009 10:56:32 am
      I used to love my job , but now I hate it, staff cut backs , wage capping, with the company making record profits on the back of slave labour. By which I mean free to them from training schemes, who pay them £30.00 a week, for bloody Halfords to profit from.

Sorry to here about your husband Cas, wish him all the best from me and Liz, hope gets well soon. Stress is not at all nice.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #5: Nov 17, 2009 10:58:56 am
      I'm not a big fan of my job. The NHS has a bumlick culture. The only way to get on is to cornhole the 'right' people. I'm qualified to masters level but getting paid GCSE wages and have been getting promised a payrise for the last two years that's never materialised.

Sucks ass.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6: Nov 17, 2009 11:06:59 am
      I love my job but hate working and the jumped up, ass-licking toadies that i have to deal with in middle management. Luckily enough they have a, grudging, respect for me, my knowledge and ability so they tend to steer clear.

I'm off on sick leave at the moment and i sure as sh*t don't miss work.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #7: Nov 17, 2009 11:16:53 am
      I'm not a big fan of my job. The NHS has a bumlick culture. The only way to get on is to cornhole the 'right' people. I'm qualified to masters level but getting paid GCSE wages and have been getting promised a payrise for the last two years that's never materialised.

Sucks ass.
      Agreed, on that my girl works for the NHS in Cardiff, and has been bludgeoned with empty promises, the latest being that if she passes here Biomedical Science degree she is guaranteed a grade 6 job. Hmmmm, we'll see.

Im fortunate now that over the last 2 years since leaving uni and have 2 redundancies I am in a private company, on a great salary, 50p per mile expenses (i do 100 miles a week in my car that costs 10p a mile to run), and a job I really really enjoy.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2009 11:33:15 am
      Well I F***ing hate my job, more than anybody I know. ;)

I've been working in the same factory for a little over 7 years now. Initially the idea was to take the first job that came along, as when I moved to France I didn't speak a word of French so couldn't afford to be choosy. My wife had a fairly decent job at the time, so I was hoping to drop it as soon as possible, once I had picked up enough of the language.

Unfortunately, the place she was working quickly started going under, and with her then pregnant with our first child she decided to leave the job. About five years and another two kids later, she's found a new job she's just started, but all the while I've been more or less forced to stay in this job I can't stand because it pays the bills.

What's stupid now, is that since I've been there so long, my wage has increased a little bit, and I get a monthly bonus from the Government as I've been there over 5 years. With the overtime I get paid, I can earn between €1400 and €1500, and with jobs getting harder to find, it's looking less and less likely I'll get out of it soon. Our intention is to buy a house in two years, and if I've changed jobs for a lower wage it probably won't be possible.

Sadly, my boss is a psychopath, spending every day (no exaggeration) yelling at everyone that we don't produce enough, and threatening to shut the factory altogether. Add to that I'm forbidden to take holidays from April to the end of October as it's the busiest period (50 hours weeks virtually guaranteed), which isn't actually legal. No breaks during the day whatsoever, toilets are revolting and you can't shut the door/turn on the light.

The stress is so bad, I almost had a mini nervous breakdown at the beginning of last year, threatening my wife I'd pack everything in and go back to England, even leave my kids, which is the hardest thing I could possibly imagine. In the end I stayed of course, but after two accidents in as many years due to the pressure to work fast, causing me to stay off work 5 months each time, I'm not a happy chappy. Don't be surprised to see me slowly post one day that I've lost a hand or arm, nearly happened a couple of times already.

So who can beat that? ::)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2009 11:36:31 am
      'Kin hell Ayr. Fair play to you. I really admire your resilience. Good luck on the lottery this week. ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2009 11:37:35 am
      'Kin hell Ayr. Fair play to you. I really admire your resilience. Good luck on the lottery this week. ;)

Cheers mate, forgot to do it last week for Friday 13th. ::)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11: Nov 17, 2009 11:37:53 am
      Sorry to hear that about your husband Cas.

Ayrton that is just shocking mate is there not a union that can step in? At least to regulate lunch breaks and basic ammenities although I know very little about the French labour movement.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #12: Nov 17, 2009 11:41:39 am
      Fair play ayrton that is bad, I couldn't do it, good luck to you, don't the french have work rules?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #13: Nov 17, 2009 11:50:21 am
      After reading this thread, I can't complain about my job.  Just one particular partner who is a total arse that I have to work for, the rest are ok.

Sorry to hear about your husband MsG.

That sounds awful ayrton.  No chance of getting a union to step in?  Your boss sounds well out of order.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #14: Nov 17, 2009 12:01:14 pm
      Jeez here is me feeling sorry for my self about my job but sh*t it is not half as bad as you Ayrton!! I love what I do but the place that I work really gets me down, the boss is bi-polar for sure, mood swings from laughing to screaming and most of the mistakes that are made are from him but end up getting blamed on me!!! Been tempted to quit a few times but looking to get a house so gotta keep working even tho i wish i could work else where.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Nov 17, 2009 12:13:50 pm
      Well I used to hate my job, I was a Site Foreman for RG group doing new builds and refits on Ikea's, Sainsbury's Tesco's and Asda's, I used to work to strict deadlines for hand overs which resulted in working 12 hour shifts  7 days a week all over the country. I can remember once doing a 12 hour day shift in the white rose centre at Leeds, then I got a phone call asking if I could do a 12 hour Night shift in Warrington  when i'd finished  I agreed so to Warrington I headed and about half 5 in the morning I got a phone call asking if I could do a 12 hour shift in Guisbrough when I'd finished so I went and done that also. I was so tired by the time i'd finished I came home and my missus asked me If I wanted some tea, no sooner did she go into the kitchen to put my tea on I passed out on the couch. Still haven't ate that tea to this day.

One of the reasons I hated the job so much was I worked under site managers who were in their 50's + and they knew I had a small boy at home with my missus and that it was not my responsibility to on site all weekend, yet they use to pass the buck to me every weekend and head off home them selves. What made me reconsider my position was my son took really ill and I had to go home from Dumbarton to meet my missus at the hospital.

I asked the company for a week off and they put me under ridiculous amounts of pressure to get back on site the very next day all this to a lad who had not had a holiday in over 18 months working 7 days a week. So when I finished the job in Dumbarton I took a fortnights Holiday. My missus and I spoke and I said to her I've saved a fortune maybe its time I made that work for me and go self employed. She asked what as, well as I'm a qualified motor mechanic I thought i'd put that to use. So for the past two and half years now I've been working for myself buying/selling repairing damaged salvage vehicles and its the best decision I've ever made.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #16: Nov 17, 2009 12:40:51 pm
      Well I F***ing hate my job, more than anybody I know. ;)

I've been working in the same factory for a little over 7 years now. Initially the idea was to take the first job that came along, as when I moved to France I didn't speak a word of French so couldn't afford to be choosy. My wife had a fairly decent job at the time, so I was hoping to drop it as soon as possible, once I had picked up enough of the language.

Unfortunately, the place she was working quickly started going under, and with her then pregnant with our first child she decided to leave the job. About five years and another two kids later, she's found a new job she's just started, but all the while I've been more or less forced to stay in this job I can't stand because it pays the bills.

What's stupid now, is that since I've been there so long, my wage has increased a little bit, and I get a monthly bonus from the Government as I've been there over 5 years. With the overtime I get paid, I can earn between €1400 and €1500, and with jobs getting harder to find, it's looking less and less likely I'll get out of it soon. Our intention is to buy a house in two years, and if I've changed jobs for a lower wage it probably won't be possible.

Sadly, my boss is a psychopath, spending every day (no exaggeration) yelling at everyone that we don't produce enough, and threatening to shut the factory altogether. Add to that I'm forbidden to take holidays from April to the end of October as it's the busiest period (50 hours weeks virtually guaranteed), which isn't actually legal. No breaks during the day whatsoever, toilets are revolting and you can't shut the door/turn on the light.

The stress is so bad, I almost had a mini nervous breakdown at the beginning of last year, threatening my wife I'd pack everything in and go back to England, even leave my kids, which is the hardest thing I could possibly imagine. In the end I stayed of course, but after two accidents in as many years due to the pressure to work fast, causing me to stay off work 5 months each time, I'm not a happy chappy. Don't be surprised to see me slowly post one day that I've lost a hand or arm, nearly happened a couple of times already.

So who can beat that? ::)
      Really shocked to read your post Ayrton I was always under the impression that it was all spot on in Oz with the working conditions and stuff like that to be honest I thought those conditions only existed here and in third world countries.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #17: Nov 17, 2009 12:42:04 pm
      I hated my previous job.

It was very much a 'bumlick' kind of place. The people doing well in there were part of a clique, and when I actually progressed a little by working hard I was pigeon holed with all of the beauts who made life hell for everyone else. Hard trying to keep everyone sweet in a situation like that. And the pay was shocking as well for the amount of work and headaches you'd get as a result of it.

The job I have now is much better though, thankfully.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #18: Nov 17, 2009 12:52:02 pm
      Nice one Joey.

And Daryl too. Really good outcome mate. Made up for you.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #19: Nov 17, 2009 01:01:19 pm
      My job is school ;)

You get pressure (loads of it) but during the term but when holidays come you've got nothing to do. I've still got about 1.5 months off school before I embark on the most stressful year next year in school life. 'O' levels are up. Can imagine myself going through all the stress and torture, I've seen the seniors being in school from 7am-10pm, having classes and having some sort of programme organised known as 'Night study'.

I hate my job because I can't wait to get out to the workforce and earn money ;)

Gow, ayrton, Quit!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Nov 17, 2009 01:30:36 pm
      Nice one Joey.

And Daryl too. Really good outcome mate. Made up for you.

Cheers Gow mate, something had to give, It's no good having a missus and a kid you never see due to work commitments. :)
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #21: Nov 17, 2009 01:36:08 pm
      So you have a garage in your home RLB? And you go down and carry those tools, roll under a car in the trolley and repair it? And then come out of from the underneath of the car face all black with dust.

'Cos that's what I imagine you're doing everyday!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #22: Nov 17, 2009 01:46:03 pm
      I f***in hate being my own boss!Every hour god sends i work,i dont spend enough time with my two little boys and the pressure is never left after i close doors it always comes home with me and i sometimes take it out on the wife,people see the glamour side of being your own boss but the buck stops with you and you alone are responsible for all the key decisions get them wrong in my game which retail and you are truelly fu**ed,would just love to switch off after working hours but its bloody hard,looking at the long term i may call it a day after the new year,shame.

Quick Reply