Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Darren Bent?

Read 11014 times
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Re: Darren Bent?
      Reply #46: Jun 13, 2007 08:37:13 pm

West Ham are set to beat Tottenham and Liverpool to sign Charlton striker Darren Bent in an £18million deal.

According to the Daily Star, the Hammers have offered £80,000 a week to secure Bent's services, while Charlton will receive £15million plus Marlon Harewood and Hayden Mullins, who are surplus to requirements at Upton Park.

Spurs and Liverpool had also been strongly linked with moves for Bent, who is desperate to stay in the Premier League following Charlton's relegation in order to enhance his England chances.

A move to Upton Park would see Bent reunited with former boss Alan Curbishley, who signed Bent for the Addicks from Ipswich two years ago.

And the Tractor Boys will also be celebrating if the deal does go through, as they'll receive a windfall of around £2.5million from a sell-on clause in Bent's contract.

Charlton are remaining tight-lipped on their valuation of Bent, with chief executive Peter Varney telling the South London Press: "We know what price we want for Darren but we're not making that public.

"If we get it that is fine, but if not he will be staying with us next season."

West Ham's need for a top-class striker was thrown into yet sharper focus when Inter owner Massimo Moratti confirmed they are keen to sign the Hammers' Argentine star Carlos Tevez.

Best news i have had all week, he isnt joining! :D
      pedrogerado
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #47: Jun 13, 2007 09:40:36 pm
      Looks like West Ham are going to sign him (do they go after everyone we are linked with?). £18 million deal - £15 million cash + Harewood and Mullins to Charlton.  Offered him £80,000 a week.
      Looking like a done deal according to sources down in the South East.

West Ham are - if they weren't already - on course to doing a Leeds
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #48: Jun 13, 2007 10:00:07 pm
      Looking like a done deal according to sources down in the South East.

West Ham are - if they weren't already - on course to doing a Leeds

Hope they buy him and then get relegated by the courts. Ho ho!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #49: Jun 14, 2007 12:33:39 am
      I currently don't think Bent is in the same class as Eto, Tevez or Villa but give him his due, if he's scored 23 goals last term, (is that right) He's scored them playing against the same defenses we played against and none of our current strikers managed that. He was also, allegedly, playing with lesser talented players around him. One off season? possibly, but could be worth considering if Rafa doesn't have the funds he was so say promised. I'm not so optomistic about signing any 'big' names now as I was a few weeks ago. Looks to me  like  we're after the second string once again.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #50: Jun 14, 2007 09:03:02 am
      taken this little section from the Darren Besnt story on the BBC today:

'Liverpool were also interested in Bent, but have not been able to compete with the financial firepower on offer at other clubs'

surley this cant be good news but i'm hopeing its just a cause of not paying silly money for him at 17m and 75k a week thats just silly money!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #51: Jun 14, 2007 09:40:02 am
      Looks like Spurs have also put a bid in - for an undisclosed fee  ;)
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #52: Jun 14, 2007 09:42:07 am
      taken this little section from the Darren Besnt story on the BBC today:

'Liverpool were also interested in Bent, but have not been able to compete with the financial firepower on offer at other clubs'

surley this cant be good news but I'm hopeing its just a cause of not paying silly money for him at 17m and 75k a week thats just silly money!!

Don't believe everything you read mate
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #53: Jun 14, 2007 09:44:15 am
      Looks like Spurs have also put a bid in - for an undisclosed fee  ;)

Excellent work Smiggs :D
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #54: Jun 15, 2007 01:05:39 am
      Darren Bent has turned down a £75,000 a week move to West Ham United.

He is holding out on a preferred move to Liverpool or Tottenham who will only offer the player around £55,000 per week.

The news may mean West Ham turn their attention to Craig Bellamy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/west_ham/article1934721.ece

Darren Bent last night turned down a move to West Ham United in the hope of securing a switch to Liverpool or Tottenham Hotspur. West Ham had agreed a fee of £16 million plus Hayden Mullins, the midfield player, for the Charlton Athletic forward.

Bent had been offered a five-year contract worth about £75,000 a week during talks at Upton Park yesterday — which would have made him the joint-highest paid player at the club with Scott Parker, the midfield player, who joined from Newcastle United last week. West Ham were the only club willing to meet the asking price of about £17 million, but Bent’s decision raises several issues.

Alan Pardew, the Charlton manager, may now be hampered in the transfer market because he needed the sale to fund signings and is unlikely to be able to obtain the same fee from other bidders.

Tottenham are believed to be willing to offer only £12 million and Liverpool have at least four other preferred targets. Those two clubs will not be willing to pay Bent more than £55,000 a week, which is double his wage at The Valley.

“West Ham were the only club to meet our valuation,” Peter Varney, the Charlton chief executive, said. “Darren has decided not to join them.”

It is a significant blow to Alan Curbishley, the West Ham manager. He signed Bent for Charlton from Ipswich Town for £2.5 million two years ago. The forward has since scored 31 goals in 68 league appearances, although his strike-rate against the top sides has not been as favourable.

He scored only once in the eight meetings with the top-four sides in his first season in the Barclays Premiership, but he fared better this term, when he scored two in four matches against the same sides. By comparison, Andrew Johnson, the Everton forward, scored 21 league goals for Crystal Palace when they were relegated two years ago.

Curbishley has not found it easy signing players, despite having about £40 million to spend. He lost out on Mark Viduka, the Middlesbrough forward, and Joey Barton, the Manchester City midfield player, both of whom moved to Newcastle. Jermain Defoe, the Tottenham Hotspur striker, is unlikely to be interested in a return to Upton Park. Curbishley may now turn to Craig Bellamy, the Liverpool forward.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #55: Jun 15, 2007 08:54:10 am
      I read on BBC News on TV that Bent had agreed personal terms but then changed his mind at the last minute!
      He was good at a struggling club.. I think he could be great for us! We need a goal scorer!!
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #56: Jun 15, 2007 09:35:54 am
      The fact he's rejected 75k a week I think is a good sign as it shows he's not all about the money, I think he knows he has to play in europe to challange for a starting place for england so maybe he might sign for us??

As for the other 4 targets ahead of bent???? ???
      pindhillon
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      • "I was made for LFC and LFC was made for me ! "
      Reply #57: Jun 15, 2007 09:45:48 am
      Absolutely agree with you Nicola ! Bent will be a surely a great addition to our team. I cant believe what some people are saying about Bent no even being able to break into the England team, thus he not worth it !
      How can you break into a team when the manager is so biased and always sticks with reputations !...YNWA  Baby !
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #58: Jun 15, 2007 10:44:08 am
      I cant verify this information I'm afraid as i am in work, two separate people have come into our office this morning saying that Radio City are reporting we have lodged a bid of £17m for Bent. Has anyone else heard this report yet? or can they shed any light on the subject as i only have access to the normal internet news services. Ta ;D
      bruno7
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #59: Jun 15, 2007 11:33:57 am
      I read on BBC News on TV that Bent had agreed personal terms but then changed his mind at the last minute!
      He was good at a struggling club.. I think he could be great for us! We need a goal scorer!!

Spot on, Put him in with the Gerarrd's, Alonso's, and so on and he could really shoot on and on
      boblfcec5
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #60: Jun 15, 2007 11:42:06 am
      Feel we need to be aiming a lot higher then Darren Bent yeah he is ok only 23 and could make the step up to liverpool standard but the price being thrown away it is a big risk if he was going for 6-8 mill then yeah go for him but he would be my 4th or 5th choice to come to us!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #61: Jun 15, 2007 01:34:17 pm
      I cant verify this information I'm afraid as I am in work, two separate people have come into our office this morning saying that Radio City are reporting we have lodged a bid of £17m for Bent. Has anyone else heard this report yet? or can they shed any light on the subject as I only have access to the normal internet news services. Ta ;D

I've listened to Radio City most of today mate - heard the news on the hour about five times, also just checked their website and there's nothing about us lodging a bid for Bent.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #62: Jun 15, 2007 01:48:18 pm
      Hes clearly not class,is this man going to shoot us to the league?i doubt it.£17m for Englands fifth choice striker who hasnt even got 20 league goals in a season yet.Come on Rafa get real.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #63: Jun 15, 2007 02:03:15 pm
      I've listened to Radio City most of today mate - heard the news on the hour about five times, also just checked their website and there's nothing about us lodging a bid for Bent.
      Cheers Kenny, a lad has just brought the Echo in and it says the fights between us and Spurs with Spurs offering £2m more.

Reds face fight for Bent
      Jun 15 2007
      by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are set to face a straight fight with Spurs if they are to continue their pursuit of Darren Bent after the Charlton striker turned down a move to West Ham.

But neither club is willing to match the financial package the Hammers were prepared to offer.

West Ham had agreed a fee of £16 million plus midfielder Hayden Mullins for Bent

He had also been offered a five-year contract worth £75,000 a week during talks at Upton Park yesterday – which would have made him the join -highest paid player at the club with Scott Parker.

Spurs are believed to be willing to offer only £12 million, while Liverpool have other preferred targets, but did make an approach last week to Charlton – believed to be £10m – which was instantly dismissed.
      Neither Liverpool nor Spurs will not be willing to pay Bent more than £55,000 a week, which is double his wage at The Valley.

“West Ham were the only club to meet our valuation,” Peter Varney, the Charlton chief executive, said. “Darren has decided not to join them.

“We look forward to Darren starting with us in the Championship next season – a massive boost to our chances of returning to the Premier League.”

West Ham midfielder Yossi Benayoun, meanwhile, tried to express his move to Anfield by putting in a formal transfer request last night.

Liverpool have had one bid rejected by the Hammers for the Israeli captain but are still in contact with the Londoners.

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #64: Jun 15, 2007 02:48:34 pm
      This will prove if he's playing for money or the love of the game, I mean if you had the chance to play for a premiership team i.e THE MIGHTY REDS,  guaranteed CL football, long term career prospects for less wages or a Champonship team which would you choose ?? 
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #65: Jun 15, 2007 03:09:20 pm
      Bents a waste of money, the new owners came to build a new stadium and buy world class players, and all we can try buy is darren bent !!!!!!! the manks are tryin 4 tevez and hargreves and have bought nani, and chelsea have got ballack, shveshenko and drogba and arsenal with links of frank ribery and liverpool want darren bent hahaha discustin decission.   
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2007 03:12:47 pm by lfc 4life »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #66: Jun 15, 2007 03:18:17 pm
      enough is enough this Darren bent Shiite.........I'm nearly in total disgust.........I really.

we all must be totally in a state of dispair. I just cant believe any footballing body or any chap with a shrewd business head would buy this player for whats being quoted,  I hope I'm not on my own with this, other wise I feel sorry for English football

I just cant believe for one that west ham did offer 70 k per week round about...

I mean it is just totally disgusting for some that has achieved nothing and has being injured for the back end of a season

please I will argue all day long if we sign bent thats just not liverpool and I feel I have to stay away from the first game or until he proves me wrong.......... WE DO NOT NEED BENT, DEFOE ANY DAY OVER THIS PLAYER ANYDAY....... >:(

Try and calm down will you mate we haven’t put a bid in for Gary Glitter.... I agree that he wouldn’t be my number one choice but we have a manager in charge who we all believe in and if he does want to sign Bent we have to go with it and trust him. But if you dislike him that much please tell me why we shouldn’t buy him, bearing in mind he might be all we can afford and what his price is value wise in relation to the superstars you think we should sign.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #67: Jun 15, 2007 03:32:22 pm
      Try and calm down will you mate we haven’t put a bid in for Gary Glitter.... I agree that he wouldn’t be my number one choice but we have a manager in charge who we all believe in and if he does want to sign Bent we have to go with it and trust him. But if you dislike him that much please tell me why we shouldn’t buy him, bearing in mind he might be all we can afford and what his price is value wise in relation to the superstars you think we should sign.

:D

I'm willing now to give Bent a chance. If Rafa signs him, he signs him. I trust Rafa for one! On the other hand, everyone should relax.

Maybe Rafa is waiting for the La Liga season to finish! Let's all hope he is.

PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #68: Jun 15, 2007 04:47:22 pm
      I think that Bent wouldn't be a particularly bad signing in that he's scored goals wherever he's been, which is what we need, a genuine goalscorer. However, I think that we shouldn't rush into these signings, personally I think that someone like Defoe would be better, or looking further afield the likes of Lucarelli in Serie A (admittedly he's getting on a bit).

Quick Reply