Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Play Babel Upfront?

Read 16828 times
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Play Babel Upfront?
      Nov 27, 2009 02:24:57 am
      Ok Ryan Babel has said a lot. He has performed both on and off the feel in a poor fashion. Something the Reds are not too familiar with,   we have people who are staunch in getting his disruptive, whingeing butt out. Well I say let's give the lad a final go. He wants to play upfront, I do not see any wrong in placing him with N'gog for the time being whilst Nando is out. This could really be his time to shine, with such a big arrogant statement from himself, I think the onus is on Rafa to shut him up finally. He can only truly do this by having him play in his desired position which is upfront. Let's see what he has to offer in that capacity, really and truly the little glimpses we see him there are quite interesting and oft reaps some rewarding play from himself.

I am not a fan of Babel's attitude. I am not even one of his bigger fans, I think he has done reasonably well enough to be play in his preferred role. Even if this means, for a couple of games; as we are trying to salvage our season it may seem the most ludicrous of things to do. But he seems bent on proving a point. Let's give him that opportunity, we can't truly say he has been given a fair shot. Lucas has had some howlers but he has bounced back. He stated categorically clear that he is willing to sweat blood to prove this club he's worthy. Ryan Babel is a different type of character, he came here with much more on his plate to prove. Much more acclaimed as a true talent. No one should really debate that. Yet we are here because he said something that sounds very distasteful on the mouth.

At first I was very angry at his remarks but I get the feeling he has the arrogance of a superstar, so he perhaps won't come out and say he'll sweat blood. Rather, I think Babel is more inclined to say he should be playing. Many other managers would throw him in there and say have a go. Rafa is much more unlikely to do so. Babel is a class act on his day, and his behaviour off the pitch reflects that. I am sure he wants to play for this club. Why? He still seems to be keen in making an impact when he comes on the pitch. Whenever you see that, then you know a player's heart. If he really wanted to leave, like Dossena does, he would have kept his mouth shut and not try to take on players he has to prove his talent.

Much can be said about his confidence taking a huge blow. His touch not as confident as it once was, not being as assured not making his mind up in his movement. A constant plague of indecision. Yet, he's still beseeching to the manager, even in such a low class way. Even threatening that leaving may be his only option, that's a different kind of heart if you ask me. Not the one to talk nice things and be all sugar coating in approach, but one filled with desire to be counted as a player no matter how deleterious the comments, his comments are. And his disbelief at his failing to make a significant mark is another strength that Babel has shown.

We all deep down inside have respect for this lad. We know of his talent, we know of his potential. Let us not make the mistake and lose one of the better players in the coming decade, due to the fact his attitude is emblematic of Eric Cantona or some other arrogant player, maybe Ronaldo. But let us have him enjoy his football here in the Red shirt whilst he wants to. Clearly he wants to. I strongly believe if he gets the backing he needs he will perform. He's a confidence player, its on E at the moment.

Ryan Babel is far more talented than Theo Walcott, I will take that argument with anyone. I don't think Theo would be able to stand the treatment Ryan has got. Ryan has took his chances in many matches as an impact player only to be dropped. Wenger has more confidence bringing up youngsters that is clear. Rafa needs to realise this lad needs a chance to prove himself. Lucas proved himself when he didn't even deserve it. Why not Babel? If I were him I would whinge too! No way would Gerrard want to be treated like that, he simply wouldn't have it especially when he has done enough to be given a good chance.

Babel has flopped some of his chances, but maybe he needs a proper good run to get his confidence back. Not as winger but as a front man, and if he's going to play on the wing let it be the right.

Ryan Babel @ Liverpool Compilation

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2009 08:29:52 am by Bpatel »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Play Babel and upfront petition.
      Reply #1: Nov 27, 2009 02:31:17 am
      I think he has had more than enough chances. Playing him as a striker is not going to happen, when Torres is fit, he will start as the lone striker, when he isn't Ngog will start as the lone striker.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Nov 27, 2009 02:41:47 am
      Class act on his day.

Kinda like how a huge effing turkey is fantastic on Thanksgiving. Does not change the fact it's only once a year.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Nov 27, 2009 03:29:59 am
      Now is not the time for amateurs.
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #4: Nov 27, 2009 04:54:29 am
      he deserves a chance..

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Nov 27, 2009 05:28:22 am

What was all the games he has had so far then? Pisses in the wind?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Nov 27, 2009 06:39:30 am
       I do not know about giving Babel a chance,what chance has he given this club, I would say very little.The sad part about it is he will probably get sold in January and because of his lack of effort and commitment we will  not get the money back that we bought him for.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Nov 27, 2009 07:15:25 am
      Get Rid.  Fourteenth time.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #8: Nov 27, 2009 08:03:42 am
      Good post - I would rather have Babel up front than Ngog and agree with playing him on the right where he has looked dangerous when he has played there before.

Doubt it will happen though, Rafa is too stubborn.

Without Torres we dont have a decent enough goal threat and I dont think Ngog is the answer, whether Babel is I dont know but at least lets find out.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Nov 27, 2009 08:23:12 am
      Good post - I would rather have Babel up front than Ngog and agree with playing him on the right where he has looked dangerous when he has played there before.

Doubt it will happen though, Rafa is too stubborn.

Without Torres we dont have a decent enough goal threat and I dont think Ngog is the answer, whether Babel is I dont know but at least lets find out.

N'gog has 5 goals this season already and been showing a hell of a lot more drive than Babel. 90% of the time when Babel gets the ball he runs into god knows where, but it aint the place he should be. He has had his chance. Unless he proves himself where Rafa puts him, he isn't good enough. If he is meant to be as good as Ryan himself thinks he is, he'll make something out of what he is given to actually show he deserves to be put where he wants.

But he hasn't done it, and i don't see him doing it. So F**k him off back to Holland and let him run around in circles there.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Nov 27, 2009 08:34:28 am

We all deep down inside have respect for this lad.

Er...............No "we" don't!  :-\

I have a notion that this 'petition' may end up being as short as Verne Troyer's ankle socks.  ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Play Babel Upfront?
      Reply #11: Nov 27, 2009 08:40:45 am

Er...............No "we" don't!  :-\

I have a notion that this 'petition' may end up being as short as Verne Troyer's ankle socks.  ;D

:lmao:

Shorter i would say ;)
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #12: Nov 27, 2009 08:52:53 am

Er...............No "we" don't!  :-\

BBB you do make me laugh mate... :laugh:
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #13: Nov 27, 2009 08:56:38 am
      N'gog has 5 goals this season already and been showing a hell of a lot more drive than Babel. 90% of the time when Babel gets the ball he runs into god knows where, but it aint the place he should be. He has had his chance. Unless he proves himself where Rafa puts him, he isn't good enough. If he is meant to be as good as Ryan himself thinks he is, he'll make something out of what he is given to actually show he deserves to be put where he wants.

But he hasn't done it, and I don't see him doing it. So f**k him off back to Holland and let him run around in circles there.

Fair point but before we ship him off why not give him a run at right midfield, Kuyt hasnt played well this year or play 2 up top with Babel /Ngog and Torres when fit. There are many threads about the 2 holding midfielders that we dont need in certain games so why not give him the chance to prove what he is saying.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Nov 27, 2009 09:01:01 am
      I say once Rafa has had his chance to TALK to Babel , he will be totally clear about his future at Anfield and that will be that he has not got one and he will be allowed to leave in January.

I was all for giving Ryan a clean slate to start with this season as he looked as if he'd had an attitude replacement in pre-season, I was hoping he'd get his head right, concentrate on his football, force his way into Rafa's plans and go out there and prove me right for backing him, how ever he's just reverted back to the Ryan Babel of last season, constant sulking & media sniping when the club are going through our most difficult period in recent history, the lad should be showing a united front and standing up to be counted and giving the manager selection problems not more in-house/media problems and for that reason I don't feel he warrants any more chances until Ryan Babel sorts his head out and lets his football do the talking other than his mouth, my thoughts will remain the same.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Nov 27, 2009 09:02:38 am
      Fair point but before we ship him off why not give him a run at right midfield, Kuyt hasnt played well this year or play 2 up top with Babel /Ngog and Torres when fit. There are many threads about the 2 holding midfielders that we dont need in certain games so why not give him the chance to prove what he is saying.

He has had go's there before from what i remember, and not shown anything more. Look, im all for letting him prove himself. But time and time again he lets us down and then bitches about it. And after his last little out burst i just can't be arsed caring anymore. I want him out of our club, as he is cancer for all our care. Bad for morale, bad for our performances, bad for our team.

And im not a huge anti-babel man in case you think it might be bias, i used to be a huge fan. Even thought he was a contender for a jersey name for me in the future. And i defended him for a long time, but now its lost. Im sick of him, and i want him out.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Nov 27, 2009 09:05:18 am
      Babel hardly works hard as a winger and I don't think he'd do much running as a lone striker.

I have always wanted him to succeed but he has disappointed everyone with the chance he's got. He has loads of potential but he needs to get his head sorted out.

IMO, he doesn't have that attitude of a Liverpool player and seems to think he's too good for the Red shirt.

Like David, I used to defend him but after what he has said and the fact that he only wants to play here to get into the Dutch team tells alot about his career in Liverpool. He's been a liability and best to ship him out.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #17: Nov 27, 2009 09:16:57 am
      BigV and Adryan - what you both say cant really be argued with as the facts show but the way we are playing at the moment if I were Rafa I would be giving this fella the chance to put his money where his mouth is. Even without Torres fit I would like him to opt for 2 up front, either Kuyt / Ngog and give Babel the chance he wants.

Im clutching at straws a bit but I think he has talent and could do a great deal for us if he gets his head right. Bit off topic but shove him in and see if he has the balls to do it.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #18: Nov 27, 2009 09:34:49 am
      I think Ryan has all the attributes to be succesful at LFC, power, pace, skill and an eye for goal. But he is no where near consistent enough and his attitude has been really poor. He is clearly the type of guy who needs a manager telling him how great he is and that he can play every week which will never happen with Rafa.
      He has had two and a half years worth of chances to cement his place and it still isnt working. Time has run out IMO.

However i do think when we sell him he will go somewhere and end up being a stand out, which is typical of our luck recently.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      Reply #19: Nov 27, 2009 11:12:16 am
      I think Ryan has all the attributes to be succesful at LFC, power, pace, skill and an eye for goal. But he is no where near consistent enough and his attitude has been really poor.

Let's be frank, he Lucas has none of that and he got the consistency in becoming a relatively good player through confidence from Rafa. He made major mistakes, cost us the game in some instances yet he has battled on. I think in gambling with a player we have to understand they need to feel where they are. Keane was shipped out because Rafa didn't see him playing any particularly good role in the squad. Mind you that was after him being played on a consistent basis.

As for Ryan, we see him a game here then the next game we don't. I can't tell how many times he has started consecutively in the amount of games he has played. I for one was vouching for him to go to the reserves and play, at least that would give him some games and confidence. But having him time and time again playing as a 'super sub' is obviously affecting him. I think if he has had the chances Lucas has had, we would be in a much better position. The amount of times, Voronin has got a chance people like Babel must sooner rather than later be asking questions.

Ryan has done more than Lucas over all his games to be honest. Lucas is a very modest player, I suppose that's the reason why Rafa is willing to give him a try. But I can remember a certain Ronaldo being at the United in his earlier seasons and being a very shaky player. A certain red nose c**t gave him the confidence even when he spurned chances and he became the so called 'world's best player'. This is not out of the reach of Babel's talent and potential. He needs to sort out his head no doubt. That does not mean he should be given a chance to really prove himself. Ryan did it in the pre-season, Lucas somewhat did it too. Lucas got the chance to solidify after some rather poor performances that were very much detrimental. What did Ryan get? A couple of low key performances that eventually meant him conceding to the bench again.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #20: Nov 27, 2009 11:15:51 am

Ryan has done more than Lucas over all his games to be honest.

What??
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      Reply #21: Nov 27, 2009 11:22:05 am
      Contributed more in goals, and attacking play. We all know the game he assisted Gerrard with that beauty. I can remember another Torres goal as well from the right wing with another beauty.

Lucas what has he done? That really isn't the issue. But if you can argue that Lucas and Babel playing the same amount of games on a consistent basis and that Lucas would be the better player that would be very brave. I certainly would not think so. Ask your self we have been playing these two midfield players, yet we are still leaking goals. I rather have the attacking option that will provide, than leaking goals and not providing. Not bashing on Lucas, I love his attitude and believe Babel should adopt a similar one. The fact is he still needs a chance.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #22: Nov 27, 2009 11:42:19 am
      Babel + Same amount of games as Lucas and confidence from Raffa = Better than Lucas..
      Simples *makes meercat noise*

Quick Reply