Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

James Beattie (Stoke City)

Read 10947 times
      RedLFCBlood
      James Beattie (Stoke City)
      Dec 13, 2009 10:35:00 am
      THE MERSEY BEATTS FOR STAR JAMES BEATTIE HOTLINE

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full&objectID=21893715&siteID=93463-name_page.html

Liverpool have made a surprise enquiry about James Beattie as they hunt for a back-up striker to Fernando Torres.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is desperate to add more firepower and provide some much-needed cover for the Spain star. But his targets are significantly limited by the club's financial plight.

Stoke striker Beattie would, however, be well within his price range and, following his bust-up with manager Tony Pulis last weekend, is available in January.

Beattie's wages - believed to be around £20,000 a week - would not be a problem for cash-strapped Liverpool, as the player would cost only around £500,000.

Benitez considers a move for injury-prone Ruud van Nistelrooy a risk given Torres's injury history and has distanced himself, for now, from a move for Roman Pavlyuchenko.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: James Beattie (Stoke City)
      Reply #1: Dec 13, 2009 10:40:24 am
      Jesus...

Surely speculation, surely?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Dec 13, 2009 10:56:44 am
      I just woke up. Logged on to see whats happening and find this  :f_wah: Im going back to bed until kick off
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Dec 13, 2009 10:58:28 am
      To be honest given our circumstances and what we have in reserve Voronin, N'Gog, if Beattie was all we could afford I would not mind him. I think he'd be a great player to bring on against the teams where we just can not get a goal, He's similar to Kevin Davies in the sense if you chuck him in the box at set pieces he'll bully and harass the opposition defense and manage to steal a goal.

Wouldn't be my first choice by a long shot but on the flip side he wouldn't be my last choice either.

Frankly its F***ing sickening even considering James Beattie after promises of Snoogie Doggy, back to Hicks & Gillet. ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: Dec 13, 2009 11:11:10 am
      I like James Beattie, his work rate is amazing, he's strong and the lad knows where the onion bag is. He's had no luck with injuries of late and that would be my only doubt about him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Dec 13, 2009 11:17:04 am
      I like James Beattie, his work rate is amazing, he's strong and the lad knows where the onion bag is. He's had no luck with injuries of late and that would be my only doubt about him.

Least I'm not the only one who thinks he'd be a decent enough signing, lets be honest he's never going to be a world class player with the pace of Torres that self indulgently we'd all love, however he's an upgrade on Voronin most certainly & like you say he's got a terrific work rate/never say die attitude and he knows where the goal is and as he'd essentially be back up to Torres it wouldn't be the end of the world given our financial situation.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #6: Dec 13, 2009 11:25:49 am
      Huge no from me.

Much rather have Ngog up there or even Ecclestone.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Dec 13, 2009 11:43:17 am
      Something we don't have in a real aerial presence.

He scored 7 goals in the back half of last season and looked a very good player. He's never been a bad player so for 500,000 and 20k a week, he fits the bill in terms of affordability and offers more up front than Kuyt/Voronin.

But when we have to look to James Beattie to help us out...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Dec 13, 2009 11:50:26 am

But when we have to look to James Beattie to help us out...

Sad but realistic state of affairs, Cheers Tom & George and I was hoping January would finish with a Silva lining, never a realistic prospect really.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #9: Dec 13, 2009 12:01:33 pm
      And he is British, no?? For 500K, why not. Anyway we don't have the money to buy what we want, it's the buy what we can afford policy.

We have to scrape through Stoke's bench for players. What's next, 35 years old Conference League's top scorer?

F*** off to  the YANKS!!!
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #10: Dec 13, 2009 12:26:20 pm
      A big NO for me he is no where near a top four quality striker
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Dec 13, 2009 12:50:36 pm
      A big NO for me he is no where near a top four quality striker

Back up striker, of better quality than Voronin, if its all we can afford and he's an upgrade on Voronin, why teh hell not in my opinion, not like he's ever going to be a regular first team starter. He'd be essentially to do what Voronin can not and thats score goals from the bench.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: Dec 13, 2009 01:11:14 pm
      This is the worst link yet, crap is how I'd describe Beattie, if he is a Liverpool player we really have sunk low. A club like Liverpool shouldn't be linked to this lad. To be honest he looks fat and unfit.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #13: Dec 13, 2009 01:12:31 pm
      F***ing hell we that desperate now!

There is no way I want this fat c**t at Anfield in a red shirt.

He is F***ing sh*te!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #14: Dec 13, 2009 01:15:11 pm

Because he's sh*te.

Better than Voronin isn't a good enough reason, FFS I'm probably better than Voronin! Getting someone like Beattie in would just halt the development of players like Ngog.

If we're going to get a striker in let it be a F***ing good one who'll offer something to the team.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #15: Dec 13, 2009 01:16:23 pm
      I'd add I actually think he is one of the poorest strikers in the Premiership. At Stoke both Tuncay and Fueller are better players so are we taking rejects from Stoke now.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Dec 13, 2009 01:18:58 pm
      F***ing hell.

Did the mancs get beat yesterday did they?  :f_whistle:
      Stevie-G-
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts |
      Reply #17: Dec 13, 2009 01:20:16 pm
      Cant believe this to be honest .Even in our cash strapped problem's we still shouldn't be looking to sign Stoke rejects.Nowhere near good enough to play for Liverpool.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #18: Dec 13, 2009 01:20:23 pm
      He isn't as good as Voronin in my opinion. Voronin can score goals in other leagues but not in this one, Beattie struggles to score in this league and would still be sh*t in other leagues.

I reckon Ashton would be better footballer now he is retired than Beattie is as a fit footballer
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #19: Dec 13, 2009 01:28:56 pm
      Because he's sh*te.

Better than Voronin isn't a good enough reason

Its a good enough reason for me given our financial situation, I'm looking at things as a whole mate, Yes Id like 82 million euros to go spunk on David Villa, the realism is we can't afford it the realism is we have struggled in Torres absence this year, the realism is if Torres gets an injury we need some one who can potentially score goals, the realism is Voronin can not do that and N'Gog is progressing.

Personally in my own opinion I wouldn't want Beattie, I'd rather Pacheco be given a chance ahead of both N'Gog and Voronin as to be honest to me he is more likely to be a success here than both them, but if Beattie is brought in I wouldn't be up in arms about it as it just compounds what we we already know which is "we haven't got a pot to piss in"
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Dec 13, 2009 01:33:39 pm
      On second thought, he played for Everton. So no.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #21: Dec 13, 2009 02:37:33 pm
      is it April Fools day?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Dec 13, 2009 02:39:43 pm

Not yet so stop adding months on my age ;)

Quick Reply