Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Stevie to unveil Emlyn's statue

Read 2254 times
      barrowlad
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 12 posts |
      Stevie to unveil Emlyn's statue
      May 17, 2007 05:56:43 pm
      ENGLAND football hero Steven Gerrard is being lined up to unveil Barrow’s Emlyn Hughes statue.

Emlyn’s widow, Barbara, is working with council chiefs to arrange the ceremony.

The Barrow-born, former Liverpool and England captain, died in November 2004 after battling a brain tumour.

The ÂŁ50,000 bronze statue will stand outside the ÂŁ3m Emlyn Hughes House, on Abbey Road, Barrow.

Steve Warbrick, Barrow Borough Council's regeneration director and a schoolfriend of Emlyn, said: “We hope to get Steven Gerrard to unveil the statue.

“Nothing is confirmed yet. We don’t know when it might be as it would depend on his availability.

“I think Steven Gerrard is the modern day Emlyn Hughes. He’s the captain of Liverpool as Emlyn was and he has captained England as Emlyn did, and he’s a whole hearted footballer as Emlyn was.

“It would be great for Barrow to have such a famous and well loved player here.“

The ceremony is likely to be in July when Gerrard is most likely to be available.

He is busy in June as he is marrying his fiancee Alex Curran.

Next week the Liverpool captain could follow in the great Barrovian’s footsteps once again and lift the European Cup for a second time.

The 26-year-old Kop favourite has said Emyln is a hero and an inspiration for him.

The Hughes family say it would be a great tribute for Steven Gerrard to be there.

Emlyn’s mum, Anne, and other members of the family say they see Emlyn's steely determination in Gerrard.

Mrs Hughes said: "I'd be delighted if Steven Gerrard unveiled the statue. He reminds me of Emlyn, he's absolutely 100 per cent involved and never stops running. It's that never say die attitude, and he's a leader the same as Emlyn was."

Emlyn's brother David Hughes, said: "It would be great if they do get Steven Gerrard. I spoke to Steven about six months ago at Anfield and he said he modelled himself on Emlyn and Emlyn is his hero."

The statue is having the finishing touches made to it at artist Chris Kelly's studios in Merseyside.

Barbara Hughes has been working with the artist to make sure it captures the character of her late husband. She and Mr Warbrick have recently visited the studios.

Mr Warbrick, said: “It’s fantastic, it’s a big dynamic statue. You can see every muscle in the legs and the shorts are turned up like Emlyn used to have them.

“There were just some minor adjustments that needed to be made.”

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=499665

2 legends together , how good is it that stevie willl

take time out to pay respect to a true great,
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2007 06:18:44 pm by JD »
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Re: Stevie to unveil Emlyn's statue
      Reply #1: May 20, 2007 07:32:49 pm
      I'm glad to see Emlyn being honored in his home town. He is my all time Reds Hero, as my user name on this forum might suggest! I do see alot of Emlyn in the way that Stevie Gerrard plays, namely his all action combative style. Next time I'm in that part of the world I will certainly be making a detour to check Emlyn's statue out and pay my respects to a Legend.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: May 23, 2007 10:40:14 am
      good idea
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #3: May 24, 2007 09:57:33 pm
      crazyhorse, great sportsman great player great personality well just a bloody great human being and thats a fact.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: May 28, 2007 02:53:26 pm
      crazyhorse, great sportsman great player great personality well just a bloody great human being and thats a fact.

Seconded mate
      afif212_reds
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 180 posts |
      Reply #5: May 28, 2007 02:56:39 pm
      Great...can't wait...
      Athens 07
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #6: May 30, 2007 01:03:21 pm
      Emlyn Hughes R.I.P  WERE A FUKIN LEGEND LIFTIN THE EUROPEAN CUP 2 TIMES IN A ROW THANK FUK SUM 1 IS REMEMBERIN SUCH A GREAT PLAYER 2 WERE THE FAMOUS RED SHIRT R.I.P CRAZY HORSE Y.N.W.A

Quick Reply