Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Shake it up Rafa

Read 9122 times
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Re: Shake it up Rafa
      Reply #69: Jan 03, 2010 10:59:09 pm
      i thought yesterday would be good for Aquilani to start......also thought Pacheco may get a run out........
      cant understand what is up with everyone at present, great result at Villa followed by that rubbish.  Agree that Insua looks awful at present along with Kuyt and Aurelio.  I'm getting sick of all our defenders trying to wrestle the opposition to the floor, WTF do they teach them on the training ground?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #70: Jan 04, 2010 09:09:21 am
      If he trusts Insua at left back why does he play Aurelio ahead of him. If he trusts Johnson then why does he play an out of form Kuyt ahead of him? This in turn leads to a lack of crosses from the wingers as they are preoccupied with babysitting the full backs.

Rafa's mindset is more a case of ' we must not lose ', rather than ' we must win '.

Do you not think though mate that the full backs are struggling because of the "defensive" wide men. I mean if you know that the manager is playing somebody to protect you, it must add pressure knowing you're not trusted on your todd rather than relieve it.

^^^ Nail on head lads; in my opinion anyhow. At a time when confidence is at a low, no opportunity should be missed to boost self-belief and fear should be removed, not instilled........ Nice to see someone's reading my posts, by the way. :f_tongueincheek:

The 2 full-backs, like the Reading boss, had to be thinking that Rafa mustn't trust them. By starting Aurelio and Kuyt we sacrificed mid-field and lost the mind game before a ball was kicked.

He'll be getting his start, not because of re-found form or attacking prowess but because of his work ethic and the defensive cover he offers. It, automatically, sends out a message of intent that we fear losing more than we want to win.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #71: Jan 04, 2010 09:38:05 am
      There is a fear in the team. Players dont switch position like they used to at the end of last year.
      4-2-3-1 worked well with Yossi Kuyt Torres moving around.
      Now there is a fear of failure the structure has become rigid and predictable
      Mata and Maxi please
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #72: Jan 04, 2010 01:30:50 pm
      It is interesting that after United's defeat, Ferguson has read the riot act to his players. Warning some of them will be dropped for the Carling Cup clash.

Complete opposite to the way Rafa operates.

I'm not suggesting one way is better than the other - I just thought it was interesting considering this topic.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #73: Jan 04, 2010 01:39:18 pm
      It is interesting that after United's defeat, Ferguson has read the riot act to his players. Warning some of them will be dropped for the Carling Cup clash.

Complete opposite to the way Rafa operates.

I'm not suggesting one way is better than the other - I just thought it was interesting considering this topic.

Yeah mate Anderon will be dropped for Fletcher. Brown for Ferdinand. Fabio for Evra. Neville for O'Shea. (Providing they're all fit) Can't see it being Rooney for that Italian nobody has heard of since their game against Villa last season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #74: Jan 04, 2010 02:26:35 pm
      Yeah mate Anderon will be dropped for Fletcher. Brown for Ferdinand. Fabio for Evra. Neville for O'Shea. (Providing they're all fit) Can't see it being Rooney for that Italian nobody has heard of since their game against Villa last season.

:lmao: Brilliant and true.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #75: Jan 04, 2010 03:23:40 pm
      The sad thing is; Rafa probably believes he did "shake things up" by going 4 - 4 - 2 yesterday.

Unfortunately a 4 - 4 - 2 with Aurelio on the left to cover Insua and Kuyt on the right to cover Darby, (oh,and run about a lot), quickly became a 6 - 2 - 2.

I though Lucas was immense in the first half but when your "wide men" are either behind you (covering full backs) or along side you, it's difficult to be incisive. When every ball get's played back to where it came from, the 2 up front, very quickly, become isolated. One or both will drift deep looking for the ball or under pressure defenders will hoof the ball long.

If Rafa wants to "shake things up" with a 4 - 4 - 2 then the 2 "wide men" need to be set out with the sole intention to link with the front 2 and attack. The 2 full-backs, like the Reading boss, had to be thinking that Rafa mustn't trust them. By starting Aurelio and Kuyt we sacrificed mid-field and lost the mind game before a ball was kicked.

If you want to "shake things up" then go the whole hog - trust your defence, trust Lucas to offer cover and give the front 2 a fighting chance by starting players that will 'provide' service NOT cover.

Here endeth the rant!  :angel:

What an excellent analysis. Spot on in my opinion. Without trust there is nothing. The term 'isolated' is the best word i have read recently to describe our season, fits perfectly.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #76: Jan 04, 2010 04:42:01 pm
      The lineup against Reading reminded me an awful lot of Englands cricket selections. Put in a bits and peices lineup, if the batsman fail, then we have bit part bowlers who can bat a bit.

Have faith in each and every player, they are playing for Liverpool, and were against Reading. If Insua needed protection from Aurelio against Reading then that is a huge issue. As for Kuyt he is neither attacking nor defending anymore, merely playing side to side and passing simple.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #77: Jan 05, 2010 07:04:53 pm
      Yes he has, but when we had Aurelio and Arbeloa as full backs, the wingers were able to play as wingers, not winger/defenders. My point being that our full backs now are liabilities.

Couldnt have said it better. I think we've all forgotten that the modern day 'wingback' was a policy only used by extremely talented attack minded teams who employed world class players to use the system right. It was players like Cafu and Roberto Carlos who basically invented this style of attacking right/left back in the modern game before them jarzinho and the likes. This system was never meant to be used by average players to replace slow wingers who cant attack. Glen Johnson is gud enough to be a wingback however insua is not. the wingback was always lightning quick with an engine to go up and down all day. The centre halfs picked up the slack of his attacking play not the wingers.

The whole point of the wingback was to increase attacking play not compensate for this attacking play using a defensive winger?!? That belittles the whole point of the system used masterfully by european greats like ac milan/Real madrid.. I even remember our own rob jones/riise and finnan being half decent too at our own interpretation. Probably only Cole/Evra and clichy are gud enough in the Pl to use the system properly in the left back position. Even those teams have traditional players like Ivanovic and Oshea who basically just defend and attack sparingly playing within their limits. We need to get a balance of reality with ability. We had arbeloa who was an amazing underrated right back but now with Johnson and Insua the balance is wrong. Johnson with Maxi ahead of him also sounds a lot better. Also one centre back with pace wouldnt go astray to cover this attacking play cos maybe thats why we use 2 holding players to cover their lack of pace.

It seems the whole team is full of players whose only role is to cover the inadequacies of the others. Probably only Stevie,nando,yossi and Reina can be relied upon to just do their own thing not spend their time covering our weaknesses.

SHAKE IT UP RAFA!!
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #78: Jan 05, 2010 07:50:46 pm
      if liverpool f.c was run like a buisness then at least half the team would be fired. at the moment it appears to be a soacil club. the same results week in week out when is rafa going to shake things up?.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #79: Jan 06, 2010 10:42:15 am
      .........I think we've all forgotten that the modern day 'wingback' was a policy only used by extremely talented attack minded teams who employed world class players to use the system right. It was players like Cafu and Roberto Carlos who basically invented this style of attacking right/left back in the modern game before them jarzinho and the likes. This system was never meant to be used by average players to replace slow wingers who cant attack. Glen Johnson is gud enough to be a wingback however insua is not. the wingback was always lightning quick with an engine to go up and down all day. The centre halfs picked up the slack of his attacking play not the wingers.

The whole point of the wingback was to increase attacking play not compensate for this attacking play using a defensive winger?!? That belittles the whole point of the system used masterfully by european greats like ac milan/Real madrid.. I even remember our own rob jones/riise and finnan being half decent too at our own interpretation. Probably only Cole/Evra and clichy are gud enough in the Pl to use the system properly in the left back position. Even those teams have traditional players like Ivanovic and Oshea who basically just defend and attack sparingly playing within their limits. We need to get a balance of reality with ability. We had arbeloa who was an amazing underrated right back but now with Johnson and Insua the balance is wrong. Johnson with Maxi ahead of him also sounds a lot better. Also one centre back with pace wouldnt go astray to cover this attacking play cos maybe thats why we use 2 holding players to cover their lack of pace.

It seems the whole team is full of players whose only role is to cover the inadequacies of the others. Probably only Stevie,nando,yossi and Reina can be relied upon to just do their own thing not spend their time covering our weaknesses.

SHAKE IT UP RAFA!!

I think this is a very astute analysis of the current set-up to be honest.

If we take this and throw "lack of confidence" into the equation perhaps we're getting somewhere. Could it be that the "lack of confidence" issues are being perpetuated (unwittingly) by team selections that lead players to question their role and the gaffer's faith in them?

If true, it is a Catch 22 scenario, no doubt. Again, if true, the only escape from the cycle is a radical shake up. Two full backs who's sole responsibility is to defend; a midfield four that includes our (in my opinion) best ball players, Gerrard, Aquilani and Yossi and a front two of Nando with N'gog or Pacheco: maybe?
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #80: Jan 10, 2010 01:19:03 pm
      Gerrard off Torres isnt working and neither is kuyt on the right, both have been found out this season and with our left sided options limited we are far too predictable.

Steven centre mid with Masch, Dirk up top off Nando, Yossi or even if the transfer goes ahead Maxi on the right.

Left side...maybe a fit Reira or if he's staying...maybe try Babel again (argh....cant believe I just said that) but Aurelio should be left back for me, not left midfield.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #81: Jan 10, 2010 11:46:27 pm
      Gerrard off Torres isnt working and neither is kuyt on the right, both have been found out this season and with our left sided options limited we are far too predictable.

Steven centre mid with Masch, Dirk up top off Nando, Yossi or even if the transfer goes ahead Maxi on the right.

Left side...maybe a fit Reira or if he's staying...maybe try Babel again (argh....cant believe I just said that) but Aurelio should be left back for me, not left midfield.

Exactly.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #82: Jan 11, 2010 12:11:18 am
      Can't argue with much posted lately on here.I think we all are of one mindon the subject. Hopefully the aqiusition of Maxi and either Chamakh or preferably Ardur Turan will give the team a more attacking bias,because that's when we are at our best imo.
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #83: Jan 11, 2010 08:11:33 am
      rafa the man and he should do whats best
      for the team
      but he is not and thats his fault
      its his fault liverpool are doing so poorly
      its his fault the team is not motivited
      its his fault we got knocked out the cl
      and he should get his head out of his arse and get the team in to frame of mind to win
       comon u redmen  get it going
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #84: Jan 11, 2010 09:07:36 am
      rafa the man and he should do whats best
      for the team
      but he is not and thats his fault
      its his fault liverpool are doing so poorly
      its his fault the team is not motivited
      its his fault we got knocked out the cl
      and he should get his head out of his arse and get the team in to frame of mind to win
       comon u redmen  get it going

There's much more too blame than just Rafa, The Jokers that are our owners with their minimum of investment, the players who have failed to live up to their professional status, the injury situation.  Some blame lies with Rafa, a far bigger percentage lay elsewhere.
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #85: Jan 11, 2010 09:39:48 pm
      but rafas the manager m8
      he picks the team ,not the owners
      yes we have had injuries
      but rafa brought the players in
      and lets face it they have not been the best buys ;D
      but its not just about the buys he got its his tactics aswell
      torres up by himself dont work
      me think he should go back to 442
      and i think lots more ppl think the same
      i do agree the yanks need to go
      but rafa needs to change his tactics as well
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #86: Jan 11, 2010 10:17:40 pm
      but rafas the manager m8
      he picks the team ,not the owners
      yes we have had injuries
      but rafa brought the players in
      and lets face it they have not been the best buys ;D
      but its not just about the buys he got its his tactics aswell
      torres up by himself dont work
      me think he should go back to 442

and I think lots more ppl think the same
      I do agree the yanks need to go
      but rafa needs to change his tactics as well

Have to agree with that part. But on the other hand, 17 goals last season says otherwise. The reason Torres up top ain't working is our defence minded central midfield pairing, they are killing us slowly. Hopefully Aquilani will be a more regular choice for the second half of the season, therefore eliminating the need for the 4-4-2.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #87: Jan 15, 2010 02:39:32 pm
      There's only one way for Rafa to relieve the pressure on himself this weekend.

Do it gaffer.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #88: Jan 15, 2010 02:46:08 pm
      There's only one way for Rafa to relieve the pressure on himself this weekend.

Do it gaffer.

Die his hair blond and belt out an Eminem Gangsta rap song on the touchline and really control tha tempo no ???

Quick Reply