Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Watching the final in Liverpool City Centre?

Read 6343 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,673 posts | 6967 
      Watching the final in Liverpool City Centre?
      May 17, 2007 07:14:42 pm
      From the Echo...

City Big Screen ban for match

by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

PUBS and bars in Liverpool are gearing up for their biggest night of the year as they prepare to screen the Champions League final.

Thousands of people are expected to cram into the city centre on May 23 to recreate the famous Anfield atmosphere.

But all viewing will be indoors after outdoor screens were ruled out by city officials.

Violence erupted in Clayton Square last year at a World Cup game, while Reds fans caused £40,000 damage in Concert Square after the Istanbul win.

Police and Capital of Culture Company officials are anxious to avoid a repeat.

Clayton Square’s TV will remain off and no other outdoor viewing points set up. Chairs, tables and canopies will be cleared from Concert Square .

Joe Curran, licensing co-ordinator for Liverpool Chamber of Commerce, said: “The risk of showing football on outdoor screens is far too high.”

The 1,000-plus capacity Olympia, in West Derby Road, is hoping to create an Athens-style Kop. Fans are encouraged to bring their homemade banners.

Where the action is

The Newz Bar in Water Street has a capacity of 550, but its 30 private booths and upstairs floor have already sold out. The downstairs floor is open to all.

Aldo’s Bar, Victoria Street, owned by former Reds striker John Aldridge, will link up to owner John Aldridge, co-commenting for Radio City.

The Sandon, in Oakfield Road, Anfield, will hold up to 1,000 punters for a Athens/Liverpool party with staff in traditional Greek costume.

Andersons in Exchange Street East is selling tickets for £30 for a free bar event while showing the football.

Pan American Club and Blue Bar, at the Albert Dock, are hosting Greek-styled menus before the game.

If I don't get to Greece I will be heading to town.  Was thinking about going to Concert square. I know we have the 'Worldwide' thread for pubs but I think this qualifies for its own thread for those travelling to Liverpool.  Want to go somewhere full of reds, no pretentious hangers on etc... Any ideas.  Enough of us to take over a bar somewhere?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Watching the final in Liverpool City Centre?
      Reply #1: May 17, 2007 07:33:36 pm
      Good one JD.

I heard of the "inside only" watching of the game at the beginning of the week. I think it's a big shame really. To be judged mostly from the trouble that happened outside Clayton Sq when that England world cup game was on, is a big shame. Just a case of the council not wanting to spend the money on policing! Capital of culture coming up and all that..... Nevermind.

I'd pretty much name any bar or pub in town with screens though! More so the Victoria St end of town maybe. If I go to town, I'll be heading to Aldos!!!!!! Love the way he'll be linked up to the bar, commentating. That's brilliant!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: May 17, 2007 11:29:45 pm
      That's a shame, no outside viewing.

I'm so jealous I wish I was in Greece or Liverpool :'(
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #3: May 17, 2007 11:56:44 pm
      I'm leaving South London at Midday on Wednesday 23rd and am seriously thinking about Aldo's Bar especially as the legend himself will be MC for the commentary! Sounds too good to miss! Really looking forward to this as I watched the 2005 Final in London but I got my priorities right this year and am coming home for the big one... Come on you REDS!
      :scarf: :champ: :scarf: :champ: :scarf: :champ: :scarf: :champ: :scarf: :champ: :scarf: ...
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #4: May 19, 2007 08:01:57 pm
      Strike a light!

How many spaces have you left on the right hand side of that banner...!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #5: May 19, 2007 11:18:34 pm
      Strike a light! How many spaces have you left on the right hand side of that banner...!

Enough for ...  :champ: Number 6, of course!  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,673 posts | 6967 
      Reply #6: May 20, 2007 12:35:16 pm
      Enough for ...  :champ: Number 6, of course!  ;)

and 7 and 8 by the looks of it.

Back on topic...

Where's everyone planning on watching the game - Aldo's Bar sounds quite popular. 

Anyone heading to Concert Square area? Probably going to go there.  The Athens dream is slipping away from me so it will be a big piss up and then a long walk home cos there won't be any taxi's.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #7: May 20, 2007 12:39:06 pm
      ...so it will be a big piss up and then a long walk home cos there won't be any taxi's.

Long walk home? I'd stay put if I were you and grab the best vantage point possible! I was checking out the roof of the phone box outside Anfield last Saturday...
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #8: May 20, 2007 12:48:20 pm
      I might go the liverpool supporters club on lower breck road went there for the F.A cup final and it wasn't bad
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: May 20, 2007 01:06:56 pm

Back on topic...

Where's everyone planning on watching the game - Aldo's Bar sounds quite popular. 

Anyone heading to Concert Square area? Probably going to go there.  The Athens dream is slipping away from me so it will be a big piss up and then a long walk home cos there won't be any taxi's.

What about busses?

I'm coming from over the water - I hope.

I don't want to sit here and watch the final with all the Tranmere Fans cheering AC on do I?!

Just need the transport back, not bothered about college in the morning!! :D

Sorry to go off-topic. But this is important!!
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #10: May 20, 2007 05:57:25 pm
      ill be going into town to watch it, is andersons bar still selling tickets? only problem is that they might ask me for ID, but if me dad gets the tickets will they ask me for ID if ive got a ticket? im 17 ya see teehee

on topic the philarmonic might be showing it they did in 2005.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #11: May 20, 2007 07:02:33 pm
      I'm coming from over the water - I hope.

I don't want to sit here and watch the final with all the Tranmere Fans cheering AC on do I?!

Just need the transport back

Can you swim?

Sure there will be buses, but you know what the reds are like for making life difficult so after extra time and pens...(!). Surprised at the Tranmere comments - bitter bas**rds.
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #12: May 20, 2007 07:20:04 pm
      I'm coming into Liverpool to watch the game........for superstitious reasons I'm thinking I have to go to Yates's....then I can celebrate somewhere else afterwards, maybe I'll change my mind if its too packed......I know everywhere will be the same though....so cant wait!!!!
       :)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #13: May 20, 2007 07:27:51 pm
      Quick question guys, is Aldo's bar a pay to view pub or free entry? It's important I know 'cos as soon as I hit Liverpool I'm gonna have to ditch the car and buy a ticket (unless someone gets one for me and I meet them). Timing is all important 'cos it's a long trip (5hrs if I'm a good boy, less if I'm not!  ;) )and I don't want to miss this one! I should be in town about 5pm, please inform asap! Thanks!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: May 20, 2007 07:51:50 pm
      Quick question guys, is Aldo's bar a pay to view pub or free entry? It's important I know 'cos as soon as I hit Liverpool I'm gonna have to ditch the car and buy a ticket (unless someone gets one for me and I meet them). Timing is all important 'cos it's a long trip (5hrs if I'm a good boy, less if I'm not!  ;) )and I don't want to miss this one! I should be in town about 5pm, please inform asap! Thanks!

I was certain it was free but I wasn't %100 sure, so just rang them up for you mate.
      Thing is though, the woman I spoke to advised me to tell you, to be there as early as possible. Possibly 2 or 3pm? Do you think that's a possibility? It's obviously gonna get rammed and I think the official venue capacity is 200??
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #15: May 20, 2007 08:05:36 pm
      I hope I can get in somewhere......I'm working a night shift on Tuesday and wont be getting to Liverpool til about 4ish......If Yates's is packed to the rafters I'll be going anywhere that lets me in..ha ha!!!!!!
       :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: May 20, 2007 08:09:11 pm
      Haha!  :D
      Don't worry Kirsty. You should be alright getting in Yates'! I think because it's Aldos Place, a lot of people will be wanting to watch it there, obviously because it's Aldo's Place.....if you know what I mean...
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #17: May 20, 2007 08:12:58 pm
      I was certain it was free but I wasn't %100 sure, so just rang them up for you mate.
      Thing is though, the woman I spoke to advised me to tell you, to be there as early as possible. Possibly 2 or 3pm? Do you think that's a possibility? It's obviously gonna get rammed and I think the official venue capacity is 200??

Not a hope in hell redkenny! I'm leaving M25 Jct 6 at 12.30ish. To get home for 2pm I'd have to do 163mph and 3pm I'd still be clocking 98mph! I'm lookin at 5pm latest so 4 hrs at 70ish should get me home in time (I hope!) Could you get me a ticket upfront and I'd sort you out a few bevvies for your trouble?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: May 20, 2007 08:22:59 pm
      Not a hope in hell redkenny! I'm leaving M25 Jct 6 at 12.30ish. To get home for 2pm I'd have to do 163mph and 3pm I'd still be clocking 98mph! I'm lookin at 5pm latest so 4 hrs at 70ish should get me home in time (I hope!) Could you get me a ticket upfront and I'd sort you out a few bevvies for your trouble?

Hmmm see what you mean. Make sure you use the M6 toll on the way up and drive safely mate.
      Sorry, I didn't make it clear that it IS free to get in, did I. So there's no ticket to get you mate and I don't think I'll be watching it in town anyway. You'd probably be able to get in about 5'sh. I think the girl I spoke to was just warning that it may get chocka, a good bit of time before the kick off, you know?
      I wouldn't worry too much though because there's loads of places around that area of town that will be showing the game - for free, in the case of Aldo's being locked out.
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #19: May 20, 2007 08:38:29 pm
      Haha!  :D
      Don't worry Kirsty. You should be alright getting in Yates'! I think because it's Aldos Place, a lot of people will be wanting to watch it there, obviously because it's Aldo's Place.....if you know what I mean...

I'll watch it any of the pubs.....just always leave Yates's on the back of a win so that has to be a good thing!!!  So looking forward to it.....although am already feeling a bit jittery about it, this game is no good for my health..ha ha!!!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: May 20, 2007 08:50:01 pm
      I'll watch it any of the pubs.....just always leave Yates's on the back of a win so that has to be a good thing!!!  So looking forward to it.....although am already feeling a bit jittery about it, this game is no good for my health..ha ha!!!!

I'm sure the ale in Yates' will help with that... ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,673 posts | 6967 
      Reply #21: May 20, 2007 08:57:30 pm
      Concert Square for me I think - have I said that already.

Wonder if anyone is thinking of doing the pubs around Anfield thing? The Cabbage? The Arkles?
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #22: May 20, 2007 08:57:59 pm
      Of course!!!  A few cheeky vodka's and an LFC win and all the jitters will be well and truly gone!!!!
      Soooooooo excited!!!

Quick Reply