Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland -> Stoke)

Read 25508 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Re: Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland)
      Reply #46: Jan 18, 2010 02:08:07 am
      Jones is a good player, better than all of our other strikers, barring one of course.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #47: Jan 18, 2010 05:14:44 am
      On loan? I'm happier with that.

Don't know why Sunderland are allowing him to go on loan though when he's worth 40m :f_tongueincheek:
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #48: Jan 18, 2010 06:24:54 am
      We shall see if he slots into the Liverpool way.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #49: Jan 18, 2010 06:30:02 am
      I saw him play against Chelsea, seems like he's a good player with none to play besides him.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #50: Jan 18, 2010 08:42:31 am
      Im alright with this as a loan deal. Remember we need someone who can play in Europe as well. If he does well they can make it permanent and if he doesnt we can send him back to that tw*t Bruce. A reasonable option.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #51: Jan 18, 2010 09:28:24 am
      I dont rate him but he is better than Ngog.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #52: Jan 18, 2010 09:41:33 am
      Thats all we need a striker that doesn't score goals. Would no be impressed with this signing to be honest. We need class not a battering ram.

But Rafa doesn't play with 2 up top, we had the perfect player to do that for Torres in Crouch and Rafa left him on the bench. Jones is a mediocre player he had a decent first season in the Premiership but has been poor since.

Interesting point of view corbally. Given that, when it came to N'Gog here: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=8631.625 you used John Aldridge's opinion to support your assertions - i thought you'd be interested on his opinion of Kenwyne here:

Anfield legend John Aldridge has welcomed the potential arrival of lofty marksman Jones whom he believes would signal good business on Benitez's part if Babel was offloaded in the process and add fire power to the Reds' attack following the arrival of Maxi Rodriguez earlier this week.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/127639-liverpool-fc-set-to-swoop-for-sunderlands-kenwyne-jones.html

...but what does he know, eh?  ;D
      gironda
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -1 
      Reply #53: Jan 18, 2010 09:55:52 am
      I for one would welcome this. We need a bit physicality up top. We all saw the job N'Gog did trying to play lone ranger recently. Especially seeing how Nando's injury woes continue.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #54: Jan 18, 2010 09:59:26 am
      Ngog got bullied off the ball too much at the weekend. Jones would be welcome especially if its loan with an option to buy... Although if he turns out to be good we wont be able to afford him... alla Anelka loan with Houllier
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #55: Jan 18, 2010 11:17:37 am
      It was on radio city before that Steve Bruce has said any talk of swopping Babel for Jones is ridiculous.

So doubt we could afford Kenwyne anyway.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #56: Jan 18, 2010 11:34:32 am
      I also gave Ian St John BadBoy, and if you read Aldridge whole article he is saying Jones would be a good acquistion because Ngog is basically not good enough and we have nothing when Torres is out. That is the same article I pulled what Aldridge said about Ngog
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Jan 18, 2010 11:43:42 am
      It was on radio city before that Steve Bruce has said any talk of swopping Babel for Jones is ridiculous.

So doubt we could afford Kenwyne anyway.

Yeh its in the papers this morning, saying he is trying to build a team capable of competing and swap deals are not part of that plan.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,217 posts | 1646 
      Reply #58: Jan 18, 2010 11:50:10 am
      Hope we do get him on loan, would be a good deal, does crap send him back, does well sign him up!

Bit strange if Sunderland let him go out on loan though? There effectivley weaking there squad for no obvious reason.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #59: Jan 18, 2010 11:57:28 am
      I also gave Ian St John BadBoy, and if you read Aldridge whole article he is saying Jones would be a good acquistion because Ngog is basically not good enough and we have nothing when Torres is out. That is the same article I pulled what Aldridge said about Ngog

Not a problem buddy - only yanking your chain but you do see the dangers of 'cherry picking'? I mean either, Aldridge is right on both counts, or he's wrong on both counts.

Your opinion is as valid as Aldridge's, to me, corbally but it is just that; an opinion. You don't always have to be 'proved right' when offering opinion buddy. We're not at school anymore and using, selective, quotes from selected 'Reds legends' to 'win', is the forum equivalent of saying "my daddy's bigger than your daddy!"

You're better than that.  :angel:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #60: Jan 18, 2010 12:11:34 pm
      I don't want to win Badboy i just want what is best for Liverpool. I would love to be wrong in things if it makes the team better.

It is just I thnk some of the current squad are among the poorest I've seen play with Liverpool and I see a lot of comments saying these lads will improve when I clearly don't see it sadly i think Ngog is in this bracket.

But then we can't agree on everything and have to admit Badboy you talk a lot of sense. Sorry for going off topic, On topic really think Jones is very limited and not to suprised that Sunderland are looking to off load him.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #61: Jan 18, 2010 12:26:17 pm
      Kenwyne Jones not going to Liverpool, Sunderland insist

Kenwyne Jones has forged a promising partnership was Darren Bent
      Sunderland have denied reports that striker Kenwyne Jones is set to sign for Liverpool on loan.

An article in the Daily Mail claimed the Trinidad & Tobago star, 25, was due at Anfield for a medical on Monday.
      But club sources insist the player will not be leaving during January's transfer window.

Liverpool are seeking reinforcements in attack after losing top scorer Fernando Torres, captain Steven Gerrard and winger Yossi Benayoun to injury.

The Reds, currently languishing in seventh place, were rumoured to be eyeing Jones as a stand-in for Torres, who is out for six weeks with a knee injury.

Previous reports had suggested Benitez was keen to swap out-of-favour Reds forward Ryan Babel for Jones, but the deal was dismissed by Sunderland manager Steve Bruce.

606: DEBATE
      Why would we loan him? What possible benefit does that have for us? If Bruce says Birmingham and Stoke can't afford him then neither can Liverpool
      JARRA FOLLOW THE MACKEMS

Birmingham have also been linked with a bid for Jones, who signed a new four-and-a-half year contract last January.
      However, Bruce and chairman Niall Quinn have both spoken in recent days of their desire to keep the player at the club.
      The 6ft 1in frontman, signed from Southampton for £6 million in 2007, has six goals this season and has forged a promising partnership with leading scorer Darren Bent.

He played the full 90 minutes in Sunderland's most recent game - a 7-2 thrashing by Premier League leaders Chelsea on Saturday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/8465290.stm?
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #62: Jan 18, 2010 12:51:20 pm
      I for one would like to have a player like Kenwyne Jones. Off course he doesn't score that many goals, but his link up play and ability to bring others into play is something we need dearly at this moment. He would also give us a different dimension to our sh*t attack. Arsenal have Bendtner, Chelsea have Drogba, City have Adebayor, Villa have Carew, Spurs have Crouch and United have Berbatov. Its essential to have Plan-B, and Jones has the ability to provide us with Plan-B. We clearly need a player like Chamakh, Jones and Carlton Cole.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #63: Jan 18, 2010 02:48:22 pm
      I for one would like to have a player like Kenwyne Jones. Off course he doesn't score that many goals, but his link up play and ability to bring others into play is something we need dearly at this moment. He would also give us a different dimension to our sh*t attack. Arsenal have Bendtner, Chelsea have Drogba, City have Adebayor, Villa have Carew, Spurs have Crouch and United have Berbatov. Its essential to have Plan-B, and Jones has the ability to provide us with Plan-B. We clearly need a player like Chamakh, Jones and Carlton Cole.

good point with the other teams having a 'target man'

But is jones good enough for LFC? is he a liverpool player? I'm not quite sure. Im totally 50-50 on it, I think he has potential but right now i haven't seen enough from him to say hes going to be a massive player for LFC. He's just another Ryan Babel really.

Ask yourself this, Out of the teams you've mentioned above, which would Kenwyne Jones walk straight into?

The answer is none. So what makes him good enough for LFC?

Its a hard one. And my gut feeling says that if we sign him, he will be the type of player we will all be moaning about.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #64: Jan 18, 2010 03:16:39 pm
      Assuming the loan thing is true, do you have anyone that is both as cheap and at the same time better than Jones?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Jan 18, 2010 04:21:30 pm
      Klaas-Jan Huntelaar if he's not getting his game at milan
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #66: Jan 18, 2010 07:52:30 pm
      I'd like to think Jones could bring something to the table! .Good ariel prowess and does take defenders away(which would suit Nando)
      Why does he want away from Sunderland tho?
      A big plus I think would be that Ngog could be given a bit more time to maybe beef up and be brought along at a slower pace. 
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2010 09:38:37 pm by Joey B »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,495 posts | 8677 
      Reply #67: Jan 18, 2010 10:59:11 pm
      He won't be coming here, apparently we can't even afford to take him on loan!

From a text I've had off a mate who works within the club.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #68: Jan 18, 2010 11:00:29 pm
      He won't be coming here, apparently we can't even afford to take him on loan!

From a text I've had off a mate who works within the club.

That's just depressing.

Quick Reply