Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Mauricio Pellegrino...

Read 5949 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,675 posts | 6971 
      Mauricio Pellegrino...
      Jan 21, 2010 01:23:59 am
      ... when did anybody put him in charge?

Anyone any thoughts on why he gets to stand there with a clipboard telling the subs what to do?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Mauricio Pellegrino...
      Reply #1: Jan 21, 2010 01:28:11 am
      Maybe hes passing on instructions that Rafa has put together? Don't know really, but im sure if hes doing it then Rafa trusts him..

Either way, i guess it worked tonight! "Okay, David, wait until you ACTUALLY are hit before you go down, comprende'?"

;)
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2010 01:29:32 am
      ... when did anybody put him in charge?

Anyone any thoughts on why he gets to stand there with a clipboard telling the subs what to do?
      We have all seen the notes that Rafa jots down. Pellegrino is an intelligent man and almost 'short-handely' is making notes of Rafa's observations.
      He tends to be more vocal on the bench and is passionate about the performance from the lads.

He's not the boss, but very influential on what subs are to do when they step foot on the hallowed turf!
      JamesYancey
      • Banned

• 67 posts | -1 
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2010 01:53:14 am
      Didn't he used to be a football player for us?

Or is that someone else im thinking of at this late hour of 2am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2010 05:29:32 am
      I heard he was defensive coach?

Actually no clue what he does.
      toradel
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 21, 2010 08:13:10 am
      He has been working with rafa for a very long time, since rafa's valencia days... He was a very good defender for rafa at valencia so rafa sign him up again but he was too old so he was off the pace... I loved it when i heard he was gonna join rafa's board...
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #6: Jan 21, 2010 09:56:00 am
      Its strongly rumoured he has a 50 inch n*b or something like that

Maybe rafas on the wrong bus?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Jan 21, 2010 10:41:26 am
      I notice that too I think he is a bit more pro active when the Spanish speaking lads come on.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #8: Jan 21, 2010 10:42:07 am
      Im sure Pellegrino played a few games in the 04/05 season,

either way if he tells the subs what to do right, and they do it i have no problems with him standing there.

redcraig
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts | 14 
      Reply #9: Jan 21, 2010 10:49:05 am
      I think it goes like this:

Rafa tells Sammy Lee some instructions
      Sammy Lee tells the players
      The players ask Pellegrino what the F**k Sammy just said
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Jan 21, 2010 10:59:24 am

Or is that someone else im thinking of at this late hour of 2am

Yes he did have a spell playing for us, not a terribly successful one to be honest, but when he 'retired' from playing football, Rafa snapped him up for his background team, I feel Rafa treats him more as his second in command over Sammy, although I could be wrong of course. He's classed as a First Team Coach on the official site.

Mauricio Pellegrino began his second stint at Anfield in July 2008 when he was appointed first-team coach.

Having been signed by Rafa Benitez as a player in 2005, the former defender now aids the Rafalution from behind the scenes.

The Argentine certainly has the pedigree having scaled the heights of both European and South American football.

Pellegrino started his career playing in Argentina for CA Velez Sarsfield, winning three Apertura and two Clausura titles in more than 200 appearances. Further medals included the Copa Libertadores and European/South American Cup in 1994.

In 1998 the centre-back moved to La Liga to play for Spanish giants Barcelona.

He made 23 appearances to help Louis van Gaal's side win the league before being snapped up by Valencia, where he struck up an impressive partnership with countryman Roberto Ayala.

Pellegrino played in two Champions League finals for Valencia - though Real Madrid and Bayern Munich ensured both ended in heartache.

Despite these disappointments, he did star as Benitez led the Mestalla side to their first Spanish championship in 21 years during 2001-02.

Further La Liga and UEFA Cup medals followed before his first move to Anfield in January 2005.

However, the veteran pulled on the red jersey just 12 times before returning to Spain with Alaves in June 2005.

After hanging up his boots, Pellegrino took up a post coaching the Cadete-B Valencia CF youth team.

On his return to Merseyside, he said: "Rafa has shown his trust in me once again and I'll try to do the best for the club.

"It was a surprise to get the call because I was training with the youth team in Valencia and studying to finish my qualification to become a professional trainer.

"But when Rafa got in touch I knew I had to act quickly - I could not turn him down."

SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #11: Jan 21, 2010 11:20:15 am
      At least the lad knows where home is  ;D ;D
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010 11:30:56 am by SpionKop88 »
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 21, 2010 11:51:34 am
      Bit of a random topic! He's surely been doing this job for nearly 2 seasons! Presumably brought in to add some defensive expertise; not sure how well its worked mind.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Jan 21, 2010 12:35:14 pm
      I think it goes like this:

Rafa tells Sammy Lee some instructions
      Sammy Lee tells the players
      The players ask Pellegrino what the F**k Sammy just said

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Personally I think he's just carrying out the instructions/job description Rafa has given him...no biggie really.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,593 posts | 1811 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Jan 21, 2010 12:41:43 pm
      why whats wrong with him helping, its his job as a coach.

Sammy lee was boss last night squaring up to jordon. ;D.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Jan 21, 2010 10:05:16 pm

Yes, badly.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,675 posts | 6971 
      Reply #16: Jan 21, 2010 10:10:58 pm
      Bit of a random topic! He's surely been doing this job for nearly 2 seasons!

I'm well aware of his extensive LFC playing career and the fact that he is involved in the coaching.

My point is why does he appear to be Billy Big Bollocks.  Why is it not Rafa or Sammy briefing the players before they gone. That's what I was trying to fathom out.

Nobody else think it's a bit odd that it is the number 3 out there with the clipboard and last minute instructions?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Jan 21, 2010 10:17:06 pm
      Only thing I can think of is that Rafa and Sammy want to watch the game intently therefore asking Pellegrino to pass on their instructions.

Is a bit of weird one though I guess.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 21, 2010 10:19:44 pm
      I'm well aware of his extensive LFC playing career and the fact that he is involved in the coaching.

My point is why does he appear to be Billy Big Bollocks.  Why is it not Rafa or Sammy briefing the players before they gone. That's what I was trying to fathom out.

Nobody else think it's a bit odd that it is the number 3 out there with the clipboard and last minute instructions?

i do find it a bit strange. maybe sammy is concentrating on the players on the pitch and pelligrino is the man for the bench and tactics.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,379 posts | 8629 
      Reply #19: Jan 21, 2010 10:21:06 pm

Was nearing the end of his playing career though, was boss alongside Ayala in Valencia's defence.

My point is why does he appear to be Billy Big Bollocks.  Why is it not Rafa or Sammy briefing the players before they gone. That's what I was trying to fathom out.

Could be something simple as that is part of his job.

Rafa and Sammy will be giving out instructions to the eleven that are on the pitch and probably so Rafa doesn't miss any of the game!
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010 01:48:28 am by HUYTON RED »
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #20: Jan 22, 2010 12:46:21 am
      It's called delegation? I don't really think it matters to be honest, Rafa usually has a quick word with them just before they go on, and Pellegrino seems to be showing them exactly what the gaffer wants them to do beforehand.

I don't think Sammy's there to explain tactics really... :D
      Stevie-G-
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts |
      Reply #21: Jan 22, 2010 01:32:41 am

It is a bit weird if you ask me.Maybe he's a better motivater than Rafa or Sammy!!Just a thought?
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #22: Jan 22, 2010 02:50:54 am
      I guess Rafa does try to look around for Sammy to pass on the instructions to the subs but just can't find him around as he is either blasting away the match officials or running up and down along the touchlines screaming at the players on the field and I love him for that.He undoubtedly looks the most passionate of our coaching lot.

Quick Reply