Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Wanted: New Liverpool manager. Must have GSOH

Read 12035 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Jan 28, 2010 09:40:43 pm

Telegraph Rory Smith

Let the music play and the dance start anew. Liverpool supporters know the steps. A big job on the continent becomes available. Rafael Benitez’s name is brought up. A fairly anodyne suggestion from his agent, Sr Quilon, that he cannot predict the future – after all, Benitez may be king come May, he may have ditched football for a role as a TV handyman – is picked at, pored over. Whispers of contracts, of unhappiness, of the lure of some exotic city, grow into a cacophony, countered only by acquaintances and friends insisting he is happy on Merseyside. Round and round and round we whirl. Only in August, when the merry-go-round ceases and the dizziness stops, will we know. A nervous nausea or the elation of adrenalin? It depends what happens. It depends what you want to happen.

First, then, some facts. Juventus is the job du jour for the beleaguered Liverpool manager. La vecchia signora wants rid of her boy-toy, Ciro Ferrara, after finding he simply could not give her what she needed. A more experienced fancy man is required, a man who knows what an Old Lady wants, and she is prepared to wait until the summer to get him. Maybe a few months of being single will do her good (yes, that’s quite enough of that). Benitez is the number one choice for the role, on a long-term basis, of Juve’s numerous powerbrokers. Roberto Bettega, Alessio Secco, Jean-Claude Blanc and Lapo Elkann, the power behind the throne, are in agreement. An offer will be made. They are confident they have the financial muscle to lure him to Turin.

That it is Juventus is almost by-the-by. There is a good chance that, once the sun returns to these shores, both of the jobs at the San Siro will be up for grabs, and possibly Real Madrid, too, depending on the whims of Florentino Perez. Benitez will be linked to all of them. With his position at Liverpool under unprecedented scrutiny and a growing number of fans convinced a change is needed, there is every chance the Spaniard’s love of Merseyside and his desire to see through the project which he began six years ago will be superceded. The rumours have swirled for years. This time, they could come true.

Enough has been said on whether that is the right thing to do for Liverpool. That issue boils down, basically, to whether you happen to believe Benitez has done enough in his time at Anfield to warrant a chance to rectify his mistakes of this campaign. The majority, probably, would suggest he has. A growing minority disagree. It’s a personal choice.

Rather, it is perhaps time to consider what may happen to Liverpool should Benitez go, what may happen in the long, arduous search for a man to replace him and what that could mean for a club desperate for success now.

Conventional wisdom suggests Liverpool would have their pick of the litter when it comes to a new manager. Fans, understandably, want a Mourinho, a Hiddink, a Lippi or a Capello. What, though, is the advertising pitch? “Famous old club seeks man to move in to bijou home for title tilt. All candidates must be able to win the Premier League on a pittance – but you can spend what you raise in sales! – and capable of adapting when, without warning, your bosses decide they need to pay down the debt they promised not to laden the club with at the expense of your transfer funds. Warning: goalposts may shift. Must have GSOH.”

Is that likely to tempt one of management’s A-listers? No. Aim lower. How about Roy Hodgson or Martin O’Neill, the leading domestic contenders? Possibly, but Hodgson is 63, and O’Neill would think twice about swapping one good American owner, in Randy Lerner, for Messrs Hicks and Gillett. The club has pull, yes, but the owners possess plenty of push.

Abroad, then. Unai Emery? Valencia would love that, and he’d cost a pretty penny. Liverpool don’t have two of them to rub together. Lower. Laurent Blanc? You’d have to see off Inter, if Jose leaves. Lower. Jorge Jesus (the Benfica manager, fact fans)? Domingos Paciencia, of Braga? Jürgen Klinsmann? That sort of level. Is that definitely a step up on Benitez? Even those who have grown to loathe him would hardly be convinced.

Say an ambitious young manager does take the job on. What happens on the pitch? How do they stamp their authority on the side without any money to spend (and, quite possibly, no Champions League football)? Well, you would sell off the Benitez stalwarts and the squad ballast, if possible. Dirk Kuyt, Lucas, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Philipp Degen, Damien Plessis, Albert Riera, Ryan Babel and Diego Cavalieri would bring in around £40 million or so of spending money (possibly – at Liverpool, the gap between the cushions and the sofa tends to be quite large). Javier Mascherano may choose to make his move to Barcelona. Another £30 million, though Benitez’s putative replacement would hope to persuade him to stay. Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina? Both are settled enough to allow a new man chance, and Juve, if that is to be who tempts Benitez away, can afford neither. Retaining Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher would be vital to ensure some sense of continuity.

Whoever the new manager was, they would retain the core of a very good team. Reina in goal, with Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly the right-backs, Carragher, Daniel Agger and/or Martin Skrtel in the centre, and the promising Emiliano Insua at left back, and maybe Fabio Aurelio. Mascherano, possibly, and Alberto Aquilani in the middle, Maxi Rodriguez on the right, Yossi Benayoun on the left, as well as the world’s best attacking midfielder and the world’s best striker. Youngsters like David Ngog, Daniel Pacheco, Nathan Eccleston, David Amoo, Daniel Ayala, Peter Gulacsi and Krisztian Nemeth provide a bit of depth. Plus around £40 million to spend. Maybe. Benitez may even bequeath his successor Marouane Chamakh and Milan Jovanovic, as Gerard Houllier left him Djibril Cisse. Thanks for that, Gerard.

Liverpool would not be finished. But then neither would the jigsaw of ending their 20-year wait for a title. Benitez’s replacement would need a centre back, a left-back, a central midfielder or two, another winger and a striker. At least. And Hicks and Gillett, through Christian Purslow, would need to provide the new man with a staff and a salary, and possibly compensation to his old employers. All for £40 million. It wouldn’t go very far. Liverpool would be stuck with £5 million players again, when what they need are £15 million ones.

The same cycle of trying to build a team to challenge football’s princes from the position of pauper would begin again. And round and round and round they’d go, because Liverpool’s woes do not begin or end in the Boot Room. Yes, Benitez has his faults. Yes, a new manager may solve some of the problems the club faces, but it is not a panacea for all of Liverpool’s ills. It is in the boardroom and on the balance sheet that there must be a change for the dance to stop.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010 10:00:57 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Re: Wanted: New Liverpool manager. Must have GSOH
      Reply #1: Jan 28, 2010 09:53:08 pm
      is it me or does this article mirror what we have been sayin on here for the best part of H&G's tenure at the club???

idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Jan 28, 2010 09:55:36 pm
      articles like this aren't good for the state of the club, i suggest we ignore it as best we can

we don't need anyone in the media giving Rafa incentive to leave himself
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jan 28, 2010 09:58:13 pm
      articles like this aren't good for the state of the club, i suggest we ignore it as best we can

I think its actually a well balanced article and pretty much states why Rafael Benitez should be kept here at all costs, Its not encouraging Rafa to go to Juventus or anywhere else, just highlighting the problems that could arise for ourselves if it is to escalate to that.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 28, 2010 10:00:42 pm
      Looks like we need to remind Rafa again that he's still needed at at Anfield. And the best time to show it is during the match against Bolton.

Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 28, 2010 10:01:07 pm
      But the club have secured a £20 million per season sponsorship deal. Not sure how much Carlsberg were paying but I'd think less than a third of that. I don't buy the get rid of Benitez and were fu**ed. £40 million buys 4 quality players if spent carefully and that's all we need to mount a serious challenge. I actually think a change of tactics is all that is needed Benitez has lost it, too defensive and scared of losing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jan 28, 2010 10:04:43 pm
      But the club have secured a £20 million per season sponsorship deal pay off interest to RBS &Wachovia deal. Not sure how much Carlsberg were paying but I'd think less than a third of that. I don't buy the get rid of Benitez and were fu**ed. £40 million buys 4 quality players if spent carefully and that's all we need to mount a serious challenge. I actually think a change of tactics is all that is needed Benitez has lost it, too defensive and scared of losing.

I've fixed that for you fella :D
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 28, 2010 10:06:16 pm

Thanks, i didn't notice my error .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Jan 28, 2010 10:09:56 pm
      I should have been a journalist. It must be dead easy to write any oul stuff that enters your head. For example

"Neil Warnock to replace Rafa" Load of cock obviously but you get the point
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 28, 2010 10:14:41 pm
      I actually think a change of tactics is all that is needed Benitez has lost it, too defensive and scared of losing.

I agree with you on the defensive looking side but tactics depend on availability of players, so it's pretty hard to say right especially with our health issues. Though I'm not happy/disagree with some of Rafa's line-ups/subs but he's the one who oversees the training and get the reports from the physios/club doctors so he must have known something that we don't.

Maybe the idea of scared of losing is because our backfour has been horrendous this season so his idea was to built the confidence in that department first before slowly bring in changes as our attackers gain their match fitness. maybe he adopted the '1 point gain is better than 3 point loss' philosophy especially after a dismal run. Still, we're in the 5th place, so we'll see how the squad reacts to this news come the the next 2 matches at home.

Anyway, I'll wait until the season ends before passing any judgement.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Jan 28, 2010 10:17:39 pm
      articles like this aren't good for the state of the club, I suggest we ignore it as best we can

This is actually a damn good article, ignoring it would be ignoring the reality i feel. Balanced, admits Rafa has his faults as most do, but acknowledges that he is only partly to blame, and that getting rid of him may be the worst thing for the club at this stage.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Jan 28, 2010 10:25:58 pm
      This is actually a damn good article, ignoring it would be ignoring the reality i feel. Balanced, admits Rafa has his faults as most do, but acknowledges that he is only partly to blame, and that getting rid of him may be the worst thing for the club at this stage.

Exactly how I read it too mate ;)
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 28, 2010 10:26:34 pm
      I agree with you on the defensive looking side but tactics depend on availability of players, so it's pretty hard to say right especially with our health issues. Though I'm not happy/disagree with some of Rafa's line-ups/subs but he's the one who oversees the training and get the reports from the physios/club doctors so he must have known something that we don't.

Maybe the idea of scared of losing is because our backfour has been horrendous this season so his idea was to built the confidence in that department first before slowly bring in changes as our attackers gain their match fitness. maybe he adopted the '1 point gain is better than 3 point loss' philosophy especially after a dismal run. Still, we're in the 5th place, so we'll see how the squad reacts to this news come the the next 2 matches at home.

Anyway, I'll wait until the season ends before passing any judgement.

Good point, if you look at the table today we are right in the mix. But after Bolton at home we have Everton(h), Arsenal(a) and Man City(a) in which we need 9 points out of 12 to stay in contention from the 4 games. I can't see more than 6 from them games if we play the way we have been. Injuries have been a massive blow for us this season. Maybe March and April will prove to be key for us when we have them all back. Fingers crossed....
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Jan 28, 2010 10:28:06 pm
      The way to get back to winning ways is to stop leaking goals, teams get nowhere going gungho, which is what we have done this season and the backend of the last, in the last 10 games the team have let in 6 goals, now all we need is for Torres to return and we shall have a much better chance of getting wins under the belt, and why, because we have become more defensive minded.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2010 10:31:25 pm
      The way to get back to winning ways is to stop leaking goals, teams get nowhere going gungho, which is what we have done this season and the backend of the last, in the last 10 games the team have let in 6 goals, now all we need is for Torres to return and we shall have a much better chance of getting wins under the belt, and why, because we have become more defensive minded.

we just need to play more attack minded players. 2 defensive midfielders in the same team doesn't create enough chances.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Jan 28, 2010 10:31:26 pm
      Injuries have been a massive blow for us this season.

We kicked our season off on Sunday, 16 August 2009, its now 28 January 2010 and we've seen what most of us would consider to be our strongest starting XI 3 times ?, when your sh*t out of luck and sh*t out of money, where do you place your expectancy ?

As for me its expectancy fueling the pressure on Rafa.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #16: Jan 28, 2010 10:33:34 pm
      We kicked our season off on Sunday, 16 August 2009, its now 28 January 2010 and we've seen what most of us would consider to be our strongest starting XI 3 times ?, when your sh*t out of luck and sh*t out of money, where do you place your expectancy ?

As for me its expectancy fueling the pressure on Rafa.

I expect better.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17: Jan 28, 2010 10:35:38 pm
      too defensive and scared of losing.

Yes right these are the same defensive tactics that saw us notch up more goals than anybody in the Premier League and put 5 past the giants of Madrid.

Where the F**k do you people come from???
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 28, 2010 10:37:55 pm
      Yes right these are the same defensive tactics that saw us notch up more goals than anybody in the Premier League and put 5 past the giants of Madrid.

Where the f**k do you people come from???

Madrid were shocking, and if your happy with the sh*te being served up then fair play. Thats your view.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Jan 28, 2010 10:41:02 pm
      So were Man Utd then at Old Trafford no?

No I am not happy with the sh*t being served but the tactics have not changed since last season where we were so successful. They are not working right now due to Alonso, injuries, lack of creativity etc but in no way were they negative or defensive.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 28, 2010 10:47:24 pm
      Last season was last season... This is this season, and it is sh*te. Boring ,mundane, same old same old. No creation, no shots. Boring, awful football.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Jan 28, 2010 10:51:44 pm

Telegraph Rory Smith

The same cycle of trying to build a team to challenge football’s princes from the position of pauper would begin again. And round and round and round they’d go, because Liverpool’s woes do not begin or end in the Boot Room. Yes, Benitez has his faults. Yes, a new manager may solve some of the problems the club faces, but it is not a panacea for all of Liverpool’s ills. It is in the boardroom and on the balance sheet that there must be a change for the dance to stop.
      Good Post

Good Article.

Good Newpaper. Another journo on there, Henry Winter, is always fair to us.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #22: Jan 28, 2010 11:05:25 pm
      Last season was last season... This is this season, and it is sh*te. Boring ,mundane, same old same old. No creation, no shots. Boring, awful football.

And most of that is down to the players down on the field not trying enough, we can all see the lack of passion. Rafa is making some mistakes, yes, but a side with Gerrard, Kuyt, Riera and Maxi Rodriguez in the attacking roles the other day should have been able to beat Wolves, regardless of how the rest of the team was set up.

Then the money issue, well if you expect a title challenge every season just because we are Liverpool, then you are just a glory hunter and should start to learn a bit more about how this sport works these days.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #23: Jan 28, 2010 11:14:05 pm
      And most of that is down to the players down on the field not trying enough, we can all see the lack of passion. Rafa is making some mistakes, yes, but a side with Gerrard, Kuyt, Riera and Maxi Rodriguez in the attacking roles the other day should have been able to beat Wolves, regardless of how the rest of the team was set up.

Then the money issue, well if you expect a title challenge every season just because we are Liverpool, then you are just a glory hunter and should start to learn a bit more about how this sport works these days. Glory hunter? I dint think so...

So you think 4 players in the team is good enough to beat Wolves? 1 Riera playing his second game in 6 weeks. 2 Maxi Not played a full 90 minutes since September. 3 Gerrard just back from injury.  4 Kuyt, our right winger for 90 % of this season playing up front expected to get goals.  Rafa has ruined the first team confidence by either dropping them or not playing them enough.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,881 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #24: Jan 28, 2010 11:15:28 pm
      This is actually a damn good article, ignoring it would be ignoring the reality I feel. Balanced, admits Rafa has his faults as most do, but acknowledges that he is only partly to blame, and that getting rid of him may be the worst thing for the club at this stage.

Spot on bigv ....it's nice to see that someone else can see the sh*t this club is facing other than the majority of us on here.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #25: Jan 28, 2010 11:27:42 pm
      So you think 4 players in the team is good enough to beat Wolves? 1 Riera playing his second game in 6 weeks. 2 Maxi Not played a full 90 minutes since September. 3 Gerrard just back from injury.  4 Kuyt, our right winger for 90 % of this season playing up front expected to get goals.  Rafa has ruined the first team confidence by either dropping them or not playing them enough.

Hmm, i do believe there were 11 players out there :roll:

I said that with those four in the attacking roles, and the support from behind, they should have been able to beat Wolves, regardless of injury issues. If they were starting, they should have been fit enough to make an impact. We know Rafa rarely takes to much risk with injured players unless they are good enough to make an impact.

Rafa has had this same plan for years, he picks a different team all the time. The players know this, so i don't see that as an excuse for player confidence.

Again, im not excusing Rafa's gaffs he has made, but all managers do it. Fact is when he has a fit team, and the players he wants, he can do wonders as we saw last season. Throw in players horribly off form, the situation at the moment is what happens. They have been off form since pre-season as well, hardly Rafa dropping them at any time has made that happen. They seem to have expected last season just to continue, and now we are in this sh*t hole, they don't know how to dig their way out. And as much as Rafa can try in the locker room, they have to still do it out there.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #26: Jan 28, 2010 11:28:22 pm
      So you think 4 players in the team is good enough to beat Wolves? 1 Riera playing his second game in 6 weeks. 2 Maxi Not played a full 90 minutes since September. 3 Gerrard just back from injury.  4 Kuyt, our right winger for 90 % of this season playing up front expected to get goals.  Rafa has ruined the first team confidence by either dropping them or not playing them enough.

Id like to see you do Rafa's job for a month mate & put up with the amount of sh*t he has to put up with behind the scenes
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #27: Jan 28, 2010 11:37:49 pm
      Id like to see you do Rafa's job for a month mate & put up with the amount of sh*t he has to put up with behind the scenes

Rafa made one substibution in the game. Nothing to do with anything behind the scenes.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #28: Jan 28, 2010 11:42:07 pm
      Rafa made one substibution in the game. Nothing to do with anything behind the scenes.

Does this look like the post-match thread to you? Yeah, a mistake maybe, but this thread is about the bigger picture.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Jan 28, 2010 11:44:51 pm
      I'm off to bury my head in the sand and blame the tea lady as LFC-Red would say  :roll:
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #30: Jan 28, 2010 11:46:03 pm
      Yes there was 11 out there. Only 4 that could score though? player confidence is at an all time low. Why not Pick Aquilani? if not start him why not chuck him on when its 0-0 with 20 mins to go? To me it looks like Rafa is biting his nose off to spite his face and that isn't going to get any points. I can clearly see the support for Rafa, but why? the expectations of this club has dropped so  much. This time last season we were about 20 points better off. Come on boys we deserve better.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #31: Jan 28, 2010 11:46:33 pm
      Anyway...back on Topic....the article is a damn good 1, and gives those who are unsure abar what is happening to our beloved club a heads up. It also shows how many constraints we have to work with, and also a little insight into why we arent upto scratch this season.

Roll on saturday, 3 points please redmen ;D
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #32: Jan 28, 2010 11:56:23 pm
      WANTED  - new owners

Must have a good business acument, be good at balancing books one way only, have a disregard for sport and any sporting traditions.
      Only apply if you have the morals of Gollum or Adolf Hitler. Please reply to current owners   shits and will-get.

The front runners

1. Poundland
      2. Poundstretcher
      3. Netto                        4. fantasy channel             5. The samaritans,     6. goodexchange.com   7. salvation army
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #33: Jan 29, 2010 12:09:36 am
      I'm off to bury my head in the sand and blame the tea lady as LFC-Red would say  :roll:

I'm gonna go beat the sh*te out if the tea lady and then bury her in the sand, the F***ing season ruining bi*ch :laugh:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Jan 29, 2010 12:13:19 am
      I'm gonna go beat the sh*te out if the tea lady and then bury her in the sand, the F***ing season ruining bi*ch :laugh:

Well tell her mines coffee, milk 2 sugars before you do :D
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #35: Jan 29, 2010 12:13:29 am
      I'm gonna go beat the sh*te out if the tea lady and then bury her in the sand, the f**king season ruining bi*ch :laugh:
      I'll bet her name is Senorita Benitez no?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Jan 29, 2010 01:39:52 am
      I'm with bigv on this. How can some see through how it is highlighting the exact situation we are in?

If Rafa leaves, we have to start again with pittance. That means:

- Pay off Rafa
      - Pay new manager
      - Pay for new staff
      - Pay off old staff
      - Buy new players while selling other ones (which means whatever this new manager sells, he'll have half of that to buy his players with)

And that's just the top. And with how much money? Not very much at all.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #37: Jan 29, 2010 01:47:04 am
      If Rafa leaves then we wont have to pay him off.
      The thing that always gets me is, why cant a manager work with the previous managers staff, it makes no sense, they are all professionals.
      Imagine if you was a manager in industry and left and the workplace had to replace your whole team, it just doesnt happen in other businesses.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Jan 29, 2010 01:51:04 am
      The thing that always gets me is, why cant a manager work with the previous managers staff, it makes no sense, they are all professionals.
      Imagine if you was a manager in industry and left and the workplace had to replace your whole team, it just doesnt happen in other businesses.

Because with different managers come different tactics, understanding of the game etc. More than one way to do this job.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #39: Jan 29, 2010 01:53:49 am
      Yes there was 11 out there. Only 4 that could score though?

Keep on topic for fucks sake.
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #40: Jan 29, 2010 02:21:47 am
      Rafa did that when he took over Houllier's job.
      He did the changes. Took about 5 seasons get rid all foreign players under Houllier. 5 seasons.
      Do you expect if new manager took over Rafa's job, he'll make immediate changes, whole team?
      Avram Grant, Mancini, Ancelotti also took over from previous managers, they changed whole team immediately?
      If there's any changes, I don't think new manager would let players like Reina, Carra, Torres, Mascherano, Agger, Gerrard... leave.

If a new manager to be appointed, depend on what Anfield Board want to achieve.
      If they want experience with winning league, it could be Rijkaard.
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010 02:35:39 am by alliphone »
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #41: Jan 29, 2010 02:36:42 am
      Only 2 men who could do this job (working with tight budget) other than Rafa.. King Kenny or Hiddink but I prefer Rafa
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #42: Jan 29, 2010 03:59:03 am
      I prefer Rafa to go.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #43: Jan 29, 2010 04:10:20 am

Oh we know, we know :roll:
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #44: Jan 29, 2010 06:10:28 am
      We are caught in a vicious circle for sure.Get rid of Rafa and because of the financial implications involved resulting from paying off his compensation and putting together a decent transfer kitty to attract a new manager would plunge the club even deeper into crisis.However we can't even afford things to continue like this with Rafa repeating the same mistakes season after season.The best resolution under present circumstances would be Rafa to continue for another season and for him to somehow realise that the reason for us not being competitive enough in the league is giving much more respect to the smaller clubs than they deserve.Be a bit brave Rafa,we still trust you and will stand by you even more if you give the fans the kind of football they wish to see being played by our team.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #45: Jan 29, 2010 07:05:03 am
      I fully agree with the article where it says that it is the boardroom and balance sheets that need to change.I bet Houllier has a smile on his face these days and thanks Moores and Parry for getting rid of him before the terrible twins arrived at Anfield and started us on the path to ruin.It will be interesting to see what support the anti RAFA brigade give to RAFAS replacement when he finds that there is no cash available for new players.One other question,how many threads are we going to have on RAFA,could they not be condensed into one under the heading RAFA.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #46: Jan 29, 2010 08:07:41 am
      Excellent article that.

I think he reads our forum. ;)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #47: Jan 29, 2010 08:26:35 am
      Good, well balanced article. It's not this sh*te that seems to pop up with their Rafa out flags.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: Jan 29, 2010 09:05:37 am
      Great article that didnt realise RLFCB had a job working for the paper as a journo......
      I know its not him but the points in it all look familiar. Scenarios of moving on all revolve around Rafa choosing to leave and I still hope he doesn't let the haters run him out of the club before we start to see the fruitition of his project. Although whether he will be able to finish the job with g&h at the helm is an entirely different matter
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #49: Jan 29, 2010 09:37:17 am
      articles like this aren't good for the state of the club, I suggest we ignore it as best we can

Wrong.

This article should be posted to as many supporters as possible so they can see through most of the media crap that is written about Benitez.

This is the real situation we find ourselves in and for those that think a change in manager would solve all our issues you are gravely mistaken.

Next stop Alan Curbishley....
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #50: Jan 29, 2010 11:10:19 am

Mate you must be the most pessemistic red on this forum, if you are actually a red that is? sound more like a bitter bluenose, manc or Chelscum fan to me

if u haven't got anythin to say relating to the topic at hand then do us a favour and dont say anything at all???
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010 11:19:56 am by SpionKop88 »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #51: Jan 29, 2010 11:28:41 pm

Actually I prefer you to go.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Jan 29, 2010 11:34:19 pm

Me too Ban his ass  :mixed-smiley-009:  :boxing:

:couch:

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #53: Jan 30, 2010 12:25:15 am

Lovely Ms G, really speak for a lot of us i think :D
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #54: Jan 30, 2010 12:43:40 am
      I fully agree with the article where it says that it is the boardroom and balance sheets that need to change.I bet Houllier has a smile on his face these days and thanks Moores and Parry for getting rid of him before the terrible twins arrived at Anfield and started us on the path to ruin.It will be interesting to see what support the anti RAFA brigade give to RAFAS replacement when he finds that there is no cash available for new players.One other question,how many threads are we going to have on RAFA,could they not be condensed into one under the heading RAFA.
      Billy me and you remember when this club was real.As Sir Bill said,the boardroom are there to sign cheques.All this sh*te nowadays leaves me cold,but I can't give up the fight.Lest we forget brother.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #55: Jan 30, 2010 08:43:57 am
      Billy me and you remember when this club was real.As Sir Bill said,the boardroom are there to sign cheques.All this sh*te nowadays leaves me cold,but I can't give up the fight.Lest we forget brother.
      Those were the days when we were not only respected but feared by every football club worldwide.Those were the days when we had continuity with management and coaching staff and might I add players who wore our L.F.C. shirt with pride and a determination to be the best. Without a doubt the longer Hicks and Gillette have control of our club we will be on a downward spiral and the difficulty for me is we will not be able to get a top class manager to run our club.It was not that long ago when most players would of broken their necks to sign for us and that would also apply to managers.I feel so sad these days Roy when we cannot sign any players in a transfer window and i compare to some of the record signings we made in the 60s/70s and 80s.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #56: Jan 30, 2010 02:53:09 pm
      But the club have secured a £20 million per season sponsorship deal. Not sure how much Carlsberg were paying but I'd think less than a third of that. I don't buy the get rid of Benitez and were fu**ed. £40 million buys 4 quality players if spent carefully and that's all we need to mount a serious challenge. I actually think a change of tactics is all that is needed Benitez has lost it, too defensive and scared of losing.

The £20m per season sponsorship deal is dependant on us qualifying for CL then getting through the group stages to the last 16.  It's all bonus related not guaranteed so we will probably be no better off than we have been with Carlsberg. 

And where is the £40m coming from to buy the 4 quality players?  We still haven't paid the £60m in interest owed to the banks from last summers refinancing agreement (as promised by H&G).

Quick Reply