Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Portsmouth going into liquidation - will it affect Liverpool?

Read 15460 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Re: Portsmouth going into liquidation - will it affect Liverpool?
      Reply #69: Feb 11, 2010 04:29:17 pm
      I totally agree but if Pompy are not allowed to finish the season and not play any more games due to liquidation then some teams will only have played them once and then at the end of the season not everyone will play 38 games so the only fair way is to deduct the points gained from them and everyone has played 36 games instead of 38.

Or they could always just be allowed to go on until the end of the season so everyone will get their full 38 games then sort out all the finance issues over the summer. Although I do realise its not as easy as that.
      It is a tricky one and the option of letting them play out the season brings into play all the financial implications that no doubt forced them into administration,so the question would be who pays?
      As for the points dilemma it does of course require some adjustment and apart from awarding points in lieu there is no ready solution so the proposed action would appear to be the only recourse.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #70: Feb 11, 2010 05:09:53 pm
      Harry Redknapp must have screwed them over big time, and got out of there like a bat out of hell as soon as he could see the storm that was brewing on the horizon.

... and the Inland Revenue. :lmao:
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #71: Feb 11, 2010 05:22:49 pm
      ive just realised, if we can get em to wind up  portsmouth, sunderland, fulham, tottenham, aston villa, stoke, wolves, birmingham and blackburn weve won this F***ing title.
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #72: Feb 11, 2010 05:29:33 pm
      United are nearly 3 times more in debt than we are.

If it's anyone it's them next.

Fact is, which is a sad fact, they have more assets then us, they have a much more fancied investment opportunity, they have a real chance of winning the league, and more then one trophy this season.

If any new investor's are coming into football, then they are more likely to buy a substantial share in the Scum then in Liverpool FC. And that's the sad sad fact.

With Pompey, I just can't believe how a multi-million pound business has been run for year's going under the radar. The FA should of stepped in a long time ago to sort the mess out. And now thousand's of fans are going to lose their beloved club for a handful of peoples bad decisions and business sense.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #73: Feb 11, 2010 06:41:12 pm
      Updated the 'Portsmouth-less' table after last night's results.

1. Chelsea P25 55pts
      2. Man Utd P24 51pts
      3. Arsenal P24 46pts
      4. Liverpool P25 44pts
      5. Spurs P25 40pts
      6. Villa P24 39pts
      7. Man City P22 38pts

looking at this it kinda hard not to think it wont be highly beneficial to us if it happens
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #74: Feb 11, 2010 07:19:49 pm
      I'd take Utaka, Piquionne and Belhadj if they were free. Belhadj has some skill, but needs to be tamed.

Piquionne is only on loan. He won't be on a free, he'll just go back to his club.

Belhadj has a killer left boot. As you said, needs someone to kick him up the arse.

After last night, i only see the benefits.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #75: Feb 11, 2010 07:25:26 pm
      Not sure if it's a good thing or not, My thoughts go out to all Pompey fans and I hope they survive, It's yet another remonder of how easy it can be to fall from grace and reinforces the threat that a premier league club will go out of business, A very sad day for English football, I cant see how we are to benefit from another clubs demise.

YNWA    IRWT

HERPES & GONORRHOEA GET THE F**k OUT OF OUR CLUB!!!
      Quite right! Herpes and Gonorrhoea are two of the worst players i've ever seen!!
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #76: Feb 11, 2010 07:47:17 pm
      What a terrible way to qualify for the Champs league.

What sort of a message does that send to teams who have worked hard to get themselves into the position they are in?

I wouldn't have any complaints granted, but it is shocking if we have to rely on such shenanigans to gain qualification.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #77: Feb 11, 2010 07:56:58 pm
      I'm not condoneing whats happened but this message should be telling the other clubs to run their businesses within the constraints of there income !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #78: Feb 11, 2010 08:24:56 pm
      I'm not sure FAZZA has got the drift of this at all. It is no disscredit to Liverpool or anyone else if Pompey go bust. Only Pompey. It just means that everyone ammasses as many points as they can, over a season of 36 games instead of 38. Everyone is still on a level playing field over 36 matches. I don't have a problem with that as i'm sure the rest of the prem won't. It will just be a sad day for Pompey and their fans.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #79: Feb 11, 2010 08:30:25 pm
      I'm not condoneing whats happened but this message should be telling the other clubs to run their businesses within the constraints of there income !
      Pot kettle black come to mind
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #80: Feb 11, 2010 08:37:46 pm
      What sort of owners do Spurs have now. Are they minted, because old harry has spent a sh*t load of money since taking over there, including some big buys from pompey. As he came from there, he must have known how desperate they were for cash so knew he was able to buy off the best players for less than what he had bought them for when he was there. Has he started spurs on that slippery slope I wonder ? Mabey he would like to sell his house in Poole to help Pompey out.  £10mill thats worth. There's a nice 3 bed semi down the road from me he could afford. It's the only decent thing he can do really.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #81: Feb 12, 2010 06:29:35 pm
      I feel gutted for them...................

It's O.K. I'm over it.                Let's have the points.    ;D ;D ;D

Sorry I love that post. :lmao:
      lfcinpa
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #82: Feb 12, 2010 08:38:13 pm
      Hey guys, I'm getting kind of worried here.  I have tickets to the Liverpool Pompey match on March 15th and I'm traveling all the way from New York City.  I've never been to Anfield before, or even England and I would be absolutely shattered if this game gets wiped off the slate.  Is there a significant chance this game will not be played?  What are we talking in terms of odds here?
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #83: Feb 12, 2010 10:29:31 pm
      How the bloody hell can Pompey manage to sign a defensive midfielder despite their current problems?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_5944834,00.html - -Portsmouth Pick Up Tosic

red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #84: Feb 13, 2010 06:31:32 am
      Hey guys, I'm getting kind of worried here.  I have tickets to the Liverpool Pompey match on March 15th and I'm traveling all the way from New York City.  I've never been to Anfield before, or even England and I would be absolutely shattered if this game gets wiped off the slate.  Is there a significant chance this game will not be played?  What are we talking in terms of odds here?

How have you managed to get tickets, when they haven't even gone on sale yet? First of all i would be worried about whether your tickets are geniune, you'd be even more shattered if the game was on, and you got refused entry. Even if they are genuine, what's to say the game gets postponned due to the weather, that's the risk you'll have to take,

Anyway "Pay up Pompey, Pompey pay up" or should i say "Wind up Pompey, Pompey wind up"
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #85: Feb 13, 2010 09:58:47 am
      How have you managed to get tickets, when they haven't even gone on sale yet? First of all I would be worried about whether your tickets are geniune, you'd be even more shattered if the game was on, and you got refused entry. Even if they are genuine, what's to say the game gets postponned due to the weather, that's the risk you'll have to take,

Anyway "Pay up Pompey, Pompey pay up" or should I say "Wind up Pompey, Pompey wind up"

Probably Hospitality tickets or a package with Thomas Cook or something.
      lfcinpa
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #86: Feb 13, 2010 04:04:49 pm
      How have you managed to get tickets, when they haven't even gone on sale yet? First of all I would be worried about whether your tickets are geniune, you'd be even more shattered if the game was on, and you got refused entry. Even if they are genuine, what's to say the game gets postponned due to the weather, that's the risk you'll have to take,

Anyway "Pay up Pompey, Pompey pay up" or should I say "Wind up Pompey, Pompey wind up"

I got them through LFCNY, the New York Liverpool supporters club.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #87: Feb 13, 2010 04:28:00 pm
      even though i F***ing hate everton, it was the same when they finished 4th but we won the european cup the sam year and there was alot of talk about binning them off and having us in the competition for the following season instead. Obviously it all got sorted out and both teams were entered but i wouldn't have been happy if everton have missed out for us, it just wouldn't have been fair.

Sorry lad it's utter bullshit, I would have laughed my arse off if the FA would have had a set of bollocks and fu**ed Everton off to the Uefa Cup back in 2005.

Simple fact it's a situation that has arose before in Spain. When Real Madrid won the European Cup, when Macca was in the the squad, they finished fifth but were admitted in to the following seasons competition ahead of Valencia in fourth place. Simply put, Uefa leave it up to the respective FA's who to admit into the competition. So of course the FA went all lily-livered and knew the problems that would arise if they made the actual correct decision, so they sh*t it, begged Uefa to let both of us in!

Personally hope Portsmouth find a way to stay in business - how long before this could happen to us?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #88: Feb 13, 2010 06:02:39 pm
      Sorry lad it's utter bullshit, I would have laughed my arse off if the FA would have had a set of bollocks and fu**ed Everton off to the Uefa Cup back in 2005.

Simple fact it's a situation that has arose before in Spain. When Real Madrid won the European Cup, when Macca was in the the squad, they finished fifth but were admitted in to the following seasons competition ahead of Valencia in fourth place. Simply put, Uefa leave it up to the respective FA's who to admit into the competition. So of course the FA went all lily-livered and knew the problems that would arise if they made the actual correct decision, so they sh*t it, begged Uefa to let both of us in!

Personally hope Portsmouth find a way to stay in business - how long before this could happen to us?

Exactly what i'm thinking too. If we end up in fourth spot, or even third, then i'd like our final positioning to be based totally on merit, how we've played over a season, and nothing else. To think that we could rely on the demise of a fellow football club to possibly decide our fate, doesn't bear thinking about.

Personally, i like Portsmouth Football Club. They have a good tradition and their supporters are a brilliant and passionate set of fans. I pray that they survive this ordeal, not only for themselves, but also the good of football.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #89: Feb 13, 2010 06:33:23 pm
      But...It effects all teams that played Pompey...so we really dont know the effect until it actually happens and any point issues are sorted out.  Have Man City,Tottenham or Villa lost to Pompey?

Second I really hate to see any team go down like that.  Portsmouth are a lot smaller than Liverpool but, If it can happen to them.....Its a little scary.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #90: Feb 13, 2010 06:57:16 pm
      But...It effects all teams that played Pompey...so we really dont know the effect until it actually happens and any point issues are sorted out.  Have Man City,Tottenham or Villa lost to Pompey?

Second I really hate to see any team go down like that.  Portsmouth are a lot smaller than Liverpool but, If it can happen to them.....Its a little scary.

Go back a page to Reply #56 and JD put up a table of how the top half would look minus the Portsmouth results.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #91: Feb 13, 2010 07:23:45 pm
      WOW...I guess it does make a difference.  Thats a pretty big shift for some of the teams..Especially Liverpool.

Quick Reply