Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Man City v Liverpool - Sunday 21/02/10 KO 3PM

Read 12208 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,348 posts | 2871 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Man City v Liverpool - Sunday 21/02/10 KO 3PM
      Feb 18, 2010 10:54:02 pm
      Right tonight is done and dusted. Huge huge tie on Sunday. We cant give them a 4 point gap and a game in hand. Their home form is top notch. 9 wins 3 draws from 12 home games. Lets make it unlucky number 13!

I see nothing to fear in their team. Yes they have good players but our best are better than their best. Our keeper is better then their keeper. Our boss is better then theirs!

If we pass the ball sloppy and dont get bodies in the box when we are attacking then we will most likely pay the price. We need that battling type of display we got against the blueshite but with a touch more class about us.

Kuyt up top. Aquilani behind him, bear with me, Stevie dropped back beside Masch. Lucas would be harsh done by but in this tie I think we need Stevie in a more controlling position and I truly think we'd get rewards from playing the Italian in that role off the front man.  

Put these lot on the back foot, don't show them too much respect and 3 points are there for the taking. Huge tie this.
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2010 10:58:26 pm by CRK, Reason: Altered title »
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Re: Man City v Liverpool - Sunday 21/02/10 KO 3PM
      Reply #1: Feb 18, 2010 11:16:49 pm
      Nice one Brian for kick starting the thread for the big game....

I like what i saw in Babel tonight, I would put him on the left without any doubt although Maxi and Riera might say something about that... I think Ngog and Kut will take their usual positions... I would seriously play Gerrard along with Masch, with Aquliani in the hole.. We might see the best of him in that role ??

Actually i dont care who plays at long as we get the 3 points there!!!

Hey cant believe its not on the tele.....!!!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Feb 18, 2010 11:30:34 pm
      From what I've seen of Man City recently, they are sh*te.  A team of individuals who on their day, can be great but as a team they're pretty poor.  Stoke caused them all sorts of problems in their last 2 games and they've been lucky to draw as many games as they have. 

Anyway we're not exactly playing great either and will need to be a bit more creative and clinical to beat City.  Not even going to hazard a guess at the team but I'd expect Lucas to come back in and perhaps Babel deserves a start.

I'm sure the lads will know how important this game is and I've a funny feeling we'll grind out a narrow win and a massive 3 points.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2010 12:03:42 am
      Mark Lawro is a cock!!!

Quote from Mark Lawro
      Manchester City v Liverpool

Rafa Benitez will probably go there and play a flat back eight as opposed to four. Since they've gone out of the Champions League and suffered injuries to key players, he has made his team very difficult to beat and play against and they are nicking some results.

City have good home form. It is one those games that both sides will be desperate to win and I sometimes feel with such games that neither team ends up winning.

Verdict: 2-2
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2010 12:20:21 am by CRK, Reason: Added the quote in. People might think you said that! »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2010 03:53:05 am
      So we're gonna play a flat back 8 with a team thats hard to beat, yet the score is gonna be 2-2?

Makes sense...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2010 06:41:53 am
       Without a doubt this is a match we must win.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2010 07:21:19 am
      think Rafa will keep it tight but can see us winning 1-0 maybe 2-0
      sentinel
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2010 07:33:06 am
      Yes do agree Aqualani be playing behind the striker but should b Ngog. He did give a decent game against unirea & to bench him for this game wouldn't do him good.
      How bout giving Stevie G a free role where Lucas & Mash combining to kill off manc play? Kuyt on the right and Babel on the left.
      We need players who can sprint & counter for this game & to be pressing them all the way.
      Like u say manc play too individual rather a team & they don't drop back too well to defence.  So this is where Stevie G free role play into the game (Attack & defence - he can do both) & with a bit of speed from Kuyt & Babel supporting from side, our forward can surprise their defence. 
      And our play wouldn't be too boring or defensive.
      Just a suggestion ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2010 07:36:30 am
      Yes do agree Aqualani be playing behind the striker but should b Ngog. He did give a decent game against unirea & to bench him for this game wouldn't do him good.
      How bout giving Stevie G a free role where Lucas & Mash combining to kill off manc play? Kuyt on the right and Babel on the left.
      We need players who can sprint & counter for this game & to be pressing them all the way.
      Like u say manc play too individual rather a team & they don't drop back too well to defence.  So this is where Stevie G free role play into the game (Attack & defence - he can do both) & with a bit of speed from Kuyt & Babel supporting from side, our forward can surprise their defence. 
      And our play wouldn't be too boring or defensive.
      Just a suggestion ;)

Then that would be :

N'Gog
      Babel                Aquilani              Kuyt
                   Lucas              Masch
      Aurelio        Agger     Skrtel         Carra
                               Reina

No room for Stevie in the free role unless we play three at the back, and I wouldn't want to change our back four, which has looked very solid for a while now.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2010 07:40:35 am
      Then that would be :

N'Gog
      Babel                Aquilani              Kuyt
                   Lucas              Masch
      Aurelio        Agger     Skrtel         Carra
                               Reina

No room for Stevie in the free role unless we play three at the back, and I wouldn't want to change our back four, which has looked very solid for a while now.

I was thinking that! :D Unless we pull a fast one and stick 12 out there. No-one will notice, right?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2010 07:44:29 am

Not if Stevie runs fast enough!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2010 07:51:11 am

And if he doesn't..

"It would be best if you let Stevie stay, Ref, trust me..."
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2010 08:42:15 am
      Kuyt up top with Gerrard in behind.

Maxi & Babel on the flanks.

No Ngog for this one, need to keep the ball better against what will be a physical Man City back four.
      sentinel
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2010 09:02:33 am
      Why not with 3 defenders? we are putting 2 def midfield. Lucas or Masch can play just in front of the defender. Stevie will have his free role. Stevie can always do he helping at the back when needed and do his trademark pass to our forward.
      it will be 3511. By doing tis i think we can control the midfield or spoilt the game plan of manc.

SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2010 09:05:42 am
      Why not with 3 defenders? we are putting 2 def midfield. Lucas or Masch can play just in front of the defender. Stevie will have his free role. Stevie can always do he helping at the back when needed and do his trademark pass to our forward.
      it will be 3511. By doing tis I think we can control the midfield or spoilt the game plan of manc.

No way not for me, why change what has been a very solid 4 at the back in the last 6 games in one of our most important games of the season.
      sentinel
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2010 09:18:49 am
      They will be expecting what we plan cause we always or mostly uses the same away game tactics.
      Manc will be playing home & will for sure attact like sh*t. To stop them, believe we should b controling the midfield & for sure they won't be expecting Stevie be in a free role.
      For most opponents, our threat comes from Stevie & Torres. And they know where & how our top 2 play.
      Also it will surprise them cause manc will never expect us to play this tactic to win as we always go away not to loose.
      And lastly we need to get the 3 points and to stamp our top 4 mark on them.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2010 10:40:42 am
      We need to be as smart and clever, and avoid panicking, like Man City did when they came to Anfield.

Lucas has to go back in the team, you can rearrange Aquilani, Gerrard and Kuyt however you see fit.  Not too sure Riera deserves a place.

I expect a tough game.  City haven't lost in the PL at home so we will have to be at our very best to get a result.  But I don't fear any individual Man City player and think we can do the job.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2010 10:48:36 am
      What about:

Lucas     Masch

Kuyt           Aquilani         Gerrard

Ngog

?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,475 posts | 2861 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2010 10:56:52 am
      Not sure Aquilani should start if I'm honest. Same goes for Riera.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2010 10:57:14 am
                        Reina

Carra    Skrtel     Agger     Insua

Lucas   Mascherano

Kuyt        Gerrard            Maxi

Ngog

Pacheco and Babel as impact subs again for me as they were quality when they came on but I dont think they would be as effective from the start. Aquilani on the bench as well as I dont think he did enough last night        
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2010 12:00:02 pm
      I'd play two up top, City are vunerable at the back. Stoke played two up top at Eastlands and were unlucky not to beat them.

If we play 2 defensive midfielders Lucas and Masch with one up top we will play right into there hands and at best will get a draw but will probably be beaten by a late goal like the Arsenal.

If we go for City with Stevie back in the centre with Masch with Kuyt and Babel up top we will beat them. Otherwise it will just be containment again from us.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2010 12:04:45 pm
      What about:

Lucas     Masch

Kuyt           Aquilani         Gerrard

Ngog

That'll be o.k. for the u 12s six a side tounament in the summer...... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #22: Feb 19, 2010 12:14:45 pm
      Should have the beating of these if we treat the game the same as against the mancs, bitters and spurs. If we sit back and try and counter that will invite them to have a right go and we do lack a bit of pace at the back. We need to get right at them in mid field and make them turn back towards their own goal. Cut out the service to their forwards by pressing the ball from the off. When we get stuck into sides it seems to up the confidence of our players so much it's like watching a different team sometimes.  High tempo, win second ball if not first and pressure. LET'S MAKE OUR SECOND TOUCH A PASS, AND NOT A TACKLE. Shame Sotis isn't avai;lable, Adebyoare
      will be a threat in the air.      Too defensive    1 - 1.    High tempo, in you face footy,  2 - 0 the RED MEN. :kop5cf8koxp6:

Quick Reply