Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Day Trippers?

Read 16469 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Day Trippers?
      Reply #115: Apr 07, 2010 05:01:37 pm
      Are you going to the game tomorrow Fazza? If you are have a good one as well! :)

If I hadn't of intervened that could have said "if you are.. you're dead :P"
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #116: Apr 07, 2010 05:02:14 pm
      If I hadn't of intervened that could have said "if you are.. you're dead :P"

Ha!
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #117: Apr 07, 2010 05:09:38 pm
      True, and those supporters annoy me more than anyone! Theres this man i know, and hes had a season ticket for years now but about a season or 2 before houllier came, he gave his season ticket up (but kept it in his name) and gave it to my dad who then took me. We had those tickets for 6-7 seasons i think and then when we won the CL, he wanted them back the following season.

This year, because of the football we've played, hes offered my dad pretty much every ticket but only for the games against the smaller clubs & the games that are televised. Basically hes only gone to the attractive games this season. Its so annoying. He doesnt deserve a season ticket but theres probably hundreds like him.

So for the last 4-5 seasons ive only managed to go 5-10 games a season and have to get them through contacts through my friends and sometimes my dad.

I'm only 22 so havent been watching liverpool for that long really, but i feel sorry for my dad because hes followed liverpool for years and has watched them turn from a nobody into the best side in europe at one stage, hes even travelled all over europe to watch them so thats why i feel strongly about it all when he can't get a ticket but somebody in Asia or somewhere random like that can.

yeah mate i'm in the main stand 2moro, where are you sat? cheers bud, should be a good'un

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #118: Apr 07, 2010 05:11:42 pm

yeah mate I'm in the main stand 2moro, where are you sat? cheers bud, should be a good'u

You in beside the Thomas Cookers mate? Or miles away from em?
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #119: Apr 07, 2010 05:12:08 pm
      I'm in Main Stand block ME 249, hopefully won't be the only one showing support in there! :f_whistle:
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #120: Apr 07, 2010 05:49:14 pm
      Ok- i completely disagree with anyone who thinks that someone who lives outside Liverpool has no right to support them or get tickets!

Where-ever someone has travelled from- be it on foot or in a plane- if they get behind the team when they watch them, then whats the problem??!

Also you guys going tomorrow- have a good one, and dont forget the throat sweets!!
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #121: Apr 07, 2010 08:53:26 pm
      People have different back grounds and different stories to tell and if they are some how connected to Merseyside or Liverpool FC then fair enough, it doesnt really matter where you currently reside IMO.

What gets on peoples nerves and my nerves are the ones who have absolutely no connections to merseyside or LFC, may even live in a town or city where there are other well known football clubs, but they still choose to support LFC simply because of the success we enjoyed in the 70's and 80's and are the most successful side in England. Glory hunting basically. These type of football fans never choose to support the likes of Fulham do they? Its only ever Liverpool, Arsenal, United and now the teams with money - Chelsea & City. Its annoying for the local fan.

I've always believed that your history or postcode should give you more of a priority for tickets rather than somebody who has supported the club since 2005 and lives 3000 miles away. Whats even more annoying is that those fans believe they have more of a right to be at Anfield because of singing. Im sick to death of hearing 'well I sing louder than anybody at the match so I should be there and that means im not a day tripper and im loyal and great and suck my balls' absolutely sick of it. You even get locals on this forum saying 'I see lads from merseyside who dont sing every week but lads from across the world who do'  SO WHAT? its all playground rubbish to me that, so what if you have a big loud dopey voice and can sing louder than somebody else, doesn't give you the right to have a ticket over somebody who has supported the club since they were 1 and are now in their late eighties.

Touchy subject this but one I feel quite strongly about. I've never liked the way fans from all over the place jump on the LFC wagon, mainly because myself as a football fan wouldn't be the same if I were in their shoes, but unfortuantely there are millions like that and we will always see dick heads with cameras, halfy half scarfs etc wearing LFC tops making us look daft basically.

I once rooted a bird with a scouse accent...........She kept screaming rush ...rush... rush  and I thought she was asking me to hurry because her hubby was due home.  Turned out she had a thing about Ian Rush

After that i  began my love affair with LFC   .....   is that a suitable connection? 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #122: Apr 07, 2010 10:14:20 pm
      I once rooted a bird with a scouse accent...........She kept screaming rush ...rush... rush  and I thought she was asking me to hurry because her hubby was due home.  Turned out she had a thing about Ian Rush

After that i  began my love affair with LFC   .....   is that a suitable connection? 

Rooted?

Wtf??
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts | 16 
      Reply #123: Apr 08, 2010 01:09:15 am
      What is a Scouser?

Funny enough it is terrifically difficult to define.

(Incidentally, you never here the term Wacker instead of Scouser these days, it was once common.)

A similar question about cultural identity has been going the rounds in Scotland for a long time now without anybody drawing up a definitive answer. This site shows just one thread of that debate: -

http://www.scottishweb.net/culture/scotsornot/scotland_ancestors_family.htm

Back to what makes a Scouser: -

Is it being born and bred there? “Dicky Sams” only? Going to be an awfully empty ground in these days then!
      (Does Bootle count? What about Kirkby, Seaforth, Skelm, The Wirral?)
      Where is that line drawn? I defy anyone to answer the question fully. Could lose an awful lot of famous long time served true fans if we choose this option to define Scouse.

Is it being born and bred of Scouse parents? (Whatever that might mean) Where do mixed marriages (Bootle dad Liverpool mum) sit in the equation?

Is it living there for a certain length of time? Merseyside and in particular the dock areas of Liverpool (most of which are in Bootle!) have hundreds of years of history of people arriving and going. Naturally many of these people deliberately or through some quirk of fate stayed on and settled. How long before they became Scousers?

Equally, do you cease to become a Scouser because when things got bad you had enough “get up and go” to get up and go?
      How long after you’ve left do you have to hand your “Scouser” card in?

Are the children of these migrants denied their Scouse heritage because of their parent’s sins in “emigrating” to Southport, London, Birmingham etc etc

Population Churn
      Is a technical term to describe how the profile of a place changes. People come people go and some stay put all their lives. At no two given dates are the populations identical.

It is well documented on other posts on this forum that Liverpool truly is a huge melting pot. Whilst there are people from every country in the world represented, much of the stock evolves from celtic roots. Nearly every Scouse family established for three or more generations will have one or more forebears from Scottish, Irish, Welsh or Manx blood. Funny that there are so many fans from those areas, isn’t it

When I was a kid the population of Liverpool proper (ie don’t count Bootle etc) was over a million, in 2001 it had fallen to less than half that (439,00).
      Now it doesn’t take a genius to see that there are more Scousers (and their offspring) outside of Liverpool than in it.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/00by.asp

The Liverpool I grew up in

Had lots of unwashed uncultured Neanderthals BUT had an awfully lot more cultured intelligent, witty warm hearted people.

Returning to Scottish pride, they have a very famous bit about all the firsts and good inventions that came from Scotland:-

http://homepages.tesco.net/~William.Bryson/brag.html

It would be easy to match this with the things that Liverpool and its people gave to the world. It would be interesting to do so in another thread.

Although a hard place to live, it had a heart of gold, welcoming the newcomer (Because many of the residents were newcomers not that long ago)

There was an honour and pride in your neighbourhood. Scallys and Urchins would never have been tolerated because of the things they got up to. The only homes that they could boast in were the sort where you wiped your feet on the way out and held your breath if you had to go in the house. Would you let your daughter marry one?

The place was like a huge series of villages, you were known by most of the people for about 8 or 10 streets in every direction. When you went further there would always be someone who knew somebody else who knew you.
      Although crime existed, very few people committed crimes against neighbours. Those who did were sorted and had to move away.

Scousers showed humour in the face of adversity;

Determination in the face of hardship

Never-say-die attitudes

Support for the under-dog.

When faced with a problem, they recognised the cause and dealt with it, not attacked the symptoms.

The people generated solutions instead of waiting for someone else to do so.

A proud and cheerful welcoming people

Has it all turned to paranoia and xenophobia ?

The Team that chose me

Nearly fifty years ago, I became aware of a team called Liverpool. It had always been there, I was just too young to have noticed it before.

Dur um der um de dumpty dum de diddly dumpty dum…… Sports Report, the smell of a roast dinner getting close to cooked…..  Strange names Gateshead, Accrington Stanley, Hamilton Academicals.

Highs and lows of emotion when the Everton and Liverpool scores came through.
      Mostly lows for my Dad; we were having a terrible time. And I never then or in his long life after as I grew up heard him say anything disrespectful about LFC , its managers or its players. He only ever had constructive criticism.

Shortly after, either my Dad or various relatives coming home or calling in after whatever match they’d been to.

Disaster, Liverpool relegated.

In the face of the onslaught from the blues, my Dad was a rock of defiance; arguing superiority for LFC in the face of fact reason and common-sense. He was obsessed.

It was much easier to be a blue, but even then I was an obstinate bar steward. I didn’t realise it then, but I was hooked. I began to listen to the radio and although we weren’t mentioned much, when we were I listened. The old Scouse love of defending the under-dog had kicked in. The never-say-die determination had kicked in.
       I didn’t know that then; but what the hell I was only 5 .

It appeared then that kids didn’t generally get to go to the match (In the way of boozing, you couldn’t take women into many pubs in those days let alone kids)
      So I listened and watched and waited, and waited, and waited.

Life is full of strange circles within circles. At the time all this was happening, my wife was going to football matches with her dad, who was chairman of a lovely little club and sometimes the manager would return home with them for an evening meal. Like all the kids of the time, every adult earned the honorary title of Uncle or Aunty. How I envy her when she recalls “Uncle Bill” manager of Workington Town.
      What I would have given SHANKLY!.

That Everton was THE team was indisputable. They were in what we now know as the Premier League. They were always there or thereabouts in Championship or Cup shakeouts. Liverpool languished in the old Second division seemingly stuck forever doomed to come third and fail to reach the promise that they always flattered to deceive with.

Dad got very excited about this man who meant nothing to me then SHANKLY. I understood he’d been a very good player and although he had managed a few clubs, he had no real track record but the thing that people got excited about was his sheer positiveness and enthusiasm.

January 21st 1961 (Thank you God; thank you Mr Pead for the date) a long war of attrition won my dad takes me to my first match, age 10 ½ . Infield Road end, Paddock side, top corner.

Slater
            Byrne            Moran

Milne         White         Leishman

Lewis      Hunt      Hickson   Harrower   Morrisey

No subs, No diving, No poncing about with niggling digs and tugs. 90 minutes flat out football, no quarter given or taken. Bookings rare, sending-off almost unheard of!
      Proper football, proper formation…. But I digress

Opponents Ipswich Town 33401 in attendance (I was that 1).

On the way to the match we stop in one of my Dads pubs. He sits down to a game of cards with his mates and I’m stood in the corner with a pint of shandy made with real ale! Big man! I looked around and saw a load of Bobbies enter the pub. Full uniform , truncheons handcuffs- the lot.

No escape for me! I could see the headlines “Under-aged drinker age 10”

The lead bobby was well on the way to being 7ft tall and a sergeant.
       Hi son, he said to me.

Move over Vic he said to my Dad and demanded to be dealt in. PHEW!

The match was a cracker, one of their players was injured and hobbled around a bit, then took off like a scalded cat in pursuit of the ball and bang 1-0 down. Then we laid siege and eventually my first football hero scored the equaliser. Kevin Lewis. He could run around with that ball glued to his foot for half an hour beat everyone and miss the open goal. He was so close to being a football legend!
      The match ended 1-1

I went to a couple more matches that  season but the only thing I remember is that my Dad’s hero Billy Liddell played his last game earlier in the season, and although I’m told that I did see him in a reserve match, I don’t remember.

But Boy was I bitten by this LFC thing, with the Shankly revolution and the glory years to come

We failed again, 3rd in Div 2, but this was fun.

I used to look back on the glorious past and wonder what it must have been like in the good old days , cup finals championships. It couldn’t return could it? Could it? You bet it could.
      We were so far behind Everton in the derby match tables that it was schoolboy fantasy that we could ever catch them up. We’d have to dominate derbies for years, almost forever. Couldn’t happen could it. Could it? You bet I enjoyed every single minute, but first we had to get back to the top division.

The rest is history. Loads of people will say that they used to go to Anfield. Well let me tell you the average attendance was 33,000 , a few thousand would be away supporters so say 28,000 was the true average. More than half of them will now be dead (we are talking 43 years ago here), so draw your own conclusions.

All Scouse crowd. You are taking the Piss.
      There were Irish, Scots, Welsh and the London based supporters even that long ago (Hey haven’t we been here before?).
      Not as many as now, but then there were more Scousers in Liverpool then.

Shortly after we got back up the attendances rose to an average 40,000 and someone wrote Shankly could put out a team of 11 pigs with Liverpool shirts on and 40,000 would turn out and cheer them on.

And in those days, every match was a delight of skilful attacking fluid football wasn’t it. The hell it was, I swear Shanks put the 11 pigs out a fair few times!

True Liverpool fans stuck through it good days and bad. They learnt their history. They saw history made.

They envied the blues, they stuck through the ridicule, they bought Shankly’s philosophy “do your talking on the pitch”, and they overtook everyone

We learnt to sing.

No we learnt a creed- a way of thinking- a way of life.

You’ll Never Walk Alone is not a song. It is the essence of a True Scouser (No matter where he’s / she’s born bred or billeted)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #124: Apr 08, 2010 01:33:16 am
      ^^^ Absolutely brilliant post, the faith healer, I've got tears in my eyes after reading that.

A very well deserved plus for you mate  :)

Everybody and I mean everybody should read that.

I feel proud to be a Scouser, thankyou faith healer.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #125: Apr 08, 2010 03:24:01 am
      sorry mate but we'll always disgaree.

if you think doing abit of research on the internet and having a first lfc strip for your 16th birthday makes you a great football fan and a die hard liverpudlian than fair enough!

I don't though.

You wouldn't have a clue about the clubs history if you didn't go online. Not saying thats your fault, you obviously live the other side of the world, but its also not the locals fault that those across the world just suddenly decide to support a club they like the look of and even end up getting tickets for the games.

It doesn't matter to me how much somebody pays to watch a game (including flights, accom etc), it doesnt matter to me how loud they sing inside the ground either, its all irrelevant, maybe im being old fashioned but I've always believed in supporting the club on your doorstep, despite where you reside, what standard the football is. IMO, football has been ruined a lot by the so called glory hunting supporter.

Don't mean to offend you bigYNWA and I apologise if I have, its just my opinion on the matter whether its right or wrong.

Sorry if i digress away from the point being discussed, but i just want to reply to fazza and explain a little more :)

Fazza, i enjoy your posting most of the time, sometimes your points are not something i agree with, but they are well constructed and respectable - however this one represents a horribly closed minded view which i strongly disagree with, and although i know you meant no offense - it is offensive, however i won't hold it against you ;)

Now i never said that the internet research or getting my first strip on my 16th birthday is what makes me a great football and Liverpool fan - that was just stating that i indeed was already quite in love with this club before Istanbul, as you had made the point about post-Istanbul fans.

Now, bit of background on where im from, and how i became to be a fan - think ive posted this somewhere, and its a little hazy, but ill try and explain anyways. So, i come from a small town in country South Australia where there was only two sports that mattered - Aussie Rules in the winter, Cricket in the summer. The closest 'Soccer' league that i only found out about when i got older was a 50 minute drive away. I knew what footy was, and i enjoyed knocking the ball around at school, but knew nothing more than that, it was all AFL where i was from. But, my best mate somehow got into it when i was, oh, think it was maybe 11 years old - he was all about manure, and still is, but he told me about the channel that showed highlights and games every week, so i checked it out, and saw this little team called Liverpool playing - and i don't know what it was, but i just fell in love. Could have been the young, non-c**t version of Michael Owen, i don't know, but i was hooked. I hated manure from the off, no idea why but i did - coulda been just to piss off my mate, but then i started following Liverpool as well so it was fate me thinks :laugh: Also, i fell in love with the game itself as soon as i watched it - just loved it, everything about it. The skill, the passion, everything. Now, Fazza, try and even fathom loving this game and living in a place like i did. There's no outlet for your passion but just enjoying it to yourself. There's one reason why we gravitate towards European clubs.

Anyways, so from 11 through 16 i had nothing more than very occasional highlights on TV, and then little snippets in the newspaper - but i looked out for them ALL the time. Then i finally started getting on the internet probably around 15 and found out a lot more about the history and was fascinated. The stories of Shankly, Paisley, the players like Keegan, St John, Dalglish etc etc etc. I don't think i need to explain much more. Anyways, i was even more hooked. I got my first kit on my 16th birthday, and wore it proudly, and still do - along with the other 4 i have now :D

I was up at 4am for Istanbul. Do you know any teenagers who would get up that early for a game, unless it was real important to them?? Im a man who enjoys a lie-in as well! But i was up, cheering them on - and bloody fantastic it was! By then i was checking the internet all the time for reports about the team, and absolutely filling myself with infor everyday, and catching any game that was shown on TV.

Then, finished high school and started work, and my best mate (the manc) got his own place with cable TV so access to matches every weekend. And ever since then, it has been a weekly ritual for me to stay up late watching the games, doing anything i can to see them. And these games are usually on from midnight onwards, often 2-4am!! Every weekend, late night rituals to watch the reds. Weekdays as well when need be. It doesnt matter, its always worth it for me. Then i finally convinced my parents to get cable at home, and i paid my share just for the sports channels so i could have the games at home as well, and i was up every time watching them.

For 5 years now, ive been a hardcore fan, and then for 5-6 years before that, i was as gooder fan as i could be, with the limitations i had as a young kid in country South Oz with no internet, cable or anything like that. But i am now what i would think one many of the greatest fans on earth. I sing YNWA, bounce to Torres, etc etc just at home when im watching. Ive had two girlfriends break up with me with one of the main reasons being "You spend soo much time watching soccer and that team of yours!" which to that i said "F**k you, they are in my blood" and let them have it. I have gotten into fights with my parents after they have tried to tell me "its just a game" after ive gotten angry after a bad result - and i get along very well with my parents. My passion for this team is pumping through my veins 24/7, i wake up the two thoughts on my mind are to kiss my girl on the cheek, and then to log on and see what has happened in the world of Liverpool FC while ive slept. During the day, any chance i get im checking news and this forum for anything new - i stayed up until 2am just for fixture releases in June last year. Ive skipped classes, work, events, just to see a game.

The local team where im from is only 5 years old, as they reformed the league in Australia. How do you be passionate about a team that was just made? I love that team as well, and go to games when im in the country, but they are not my first love. Theres no substance there, it just feels like a manufactured team, not a team moulded from history like Liverpool.

Also, if you think fans should just come from Liverpool - then shouldn't the players? Two-way street, if you desire world-wide support gone, then the world-wide factory of players also shuts down. No Torres, no Reina, no player but ones from Liverpool.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, im simply stating that your opinion, to me, is a very closed-minded and disappointing one as someone i call a fellow red.

I aint no day-tripper - havent even been to a game before! But thats not the point, i feel i have just as much right as any to be called a Liverpool fan and go to a game as any, as the fact is the heart of this team has found its way into many people around the world, not just people from Liverpool itself.

Might be a little jumbly that post, and im sure i forgot things i meant to say, but my general idea is there i think :D
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #126: Apr 08, 2010 03:38:57 am
      Sorry if I digress away from the point being discussed, but I just want to reply to fazza and explain a little more :)

Fazza, I enjoy your posting most of the time, sometimes your points are not something I agree with, but they are well constructed and respectable - however this one represents a horribly closed minded view which I strongly disagree with, and although I know you meant no offense - it is offensive, however I won't hold it against you ;)

Now I never said that the internet research or getting my first strip on my 16th birthday is what makes me a great football and Liverpool fan - that was just stating that I indeed was already quite in love with this club before Istanbul, as you had made the point about post-Istanbul fans.

Now, bit of background on where im from, and how I became to be a fan - think ive posted this somewhere, and its a little hazy, but ill try and explain anyways. So, I come from a small town in country South Australia where there was only two sports that mattered - Aussie Rules in the winter, Cricket in the summer. The closest 'Soccer' league that I only found out about when I got older was a 50 minute drive away. I knew what footy was, and I enjoyed knocking the ball around at school, but knew nothing more than that, it was all AFL where I was from. But, my best mate somehow got into it when I was, oh, think it was maybe 11 years old - he was all about manure, and still is, but he told me about the channel that showed highlights and games every week, so I checked it out, and saw this little team called Liverpool playing - and I don't know what it was, but I just fell in love. Could have been the young, non-c**t version of Michael Owen, I don't know, but I was hooked. I hated manure from the off, no idea why but I did - coulda been just to piss off my mate, but then I started following Liverpool as well so it was fate me thinks :laugh: Also, I fell in love with the game itself as soon as I watched it - just loved it, everything about it. The skill, the passion, everything. Now, Fazza, try and even fathom loving this game and living in a place like I did. There's no outlet for your passion but just enjoying it to yourself. There's one reason why we gravitate towards European clubs.

Anyways, so from 11 through 16 I had nothing more than very occasional highlights on TV, and then little snippets in the newspaper - but I looked out for them ALL the time. Then I finally started getting on the internet probably around 15 and found out a lot more about the history and was fascinated. The stories of Shankly, Paisley, the players like Keegan, St John, Dalglish etc etc etc. I don't think I need to explain much more. Anyways, I was even more hooked. I got my first kit on my 16th birthday, and wore it proudly, and still do - along with the other 4 I have now :D

I was up at 4am for Istanbul. Do you know any teenagers who would get up that early for a game, unless it was real important to them?? Im a man who enjoys a lie-in as well! But I was up, cheering them on - and bloody fantastic it was! By then I was checking the internet all the time for reports about the team, and absolutely filling myself with infor everyday, and catching any game that was shown on TV.

Then, finished high school and started work, and my best mate (the manc) got his own place with cable TV so access to matches every weekend. And ever since then, it has been a weekly ritual for me to stay up late watching the games, doing anything I can to see them. And these games are usually on from midnight onwards, often 2-4am!! Every weekend, late night rituals to watch the reds. Weekdays as well when need be. It doesnt matter, its always worth it for me. Then I finally convinced my parents to get cable at home, and I paid my share just for the sports channels so I could have the games at home as well, and I was up every time watching them.

For 5 years now, ive been a hardcore fan, and then for 5-6 years before that, I was as gooder fan as I could be, with the limitations I had as a young kid in country South Oz with no internet, cable or anything like that. But I am now what I would think one many of the greatest fans on earth. I sing YNWA, bounce to Torres, etc etc just at home when im watching. Ive had two girlfriends break up with me with one of the main reasons being "You spend soo much time watching soccer and that team of yours!" which to that I said "F**k you, they are in my blood" and let them have it. I have gotten into fights with my parents after they have tried to tell me "its just a game" after ive gotten angry after a bad result - and I get along very well with my parents. My passion for this team is pumping through my veins 24/7, I wake up the two thoughts on my mind are to kiss my girl on the cheek, and then to log on and see what has happened in the world of Liverpool FC while ive slept. During the day, any chance I get im checking news and this forum for anything new - I stayed up until 2am just for fixture releases in June last year. Ive skipped classes, work, events, just to see a game.

The local team where im from is only 5 years old, as they reformed the league in Australia. How do you be passionate about a team that was just made? I love that team as well, and go to games when im in the country, but they are not my first love. Theres no substance there, it just feels like a manufactured team, not a team moulded from history like Liverpool.

Also, if you think fans should just come from Liverpool - then shouldn't the players? Two-way street, if you desire world-wide support gone, then the world-wide factory of players also shuts down. No Torres, no Reina, no player but ones from Liverpool.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, im simply stating that your opinion, to me, is a very closed-minded and disappointing one as someone I call a fellow red.

I aint no day-tripper - havent even been to a game before! But thats not the point, I feel I have just as much right as any to be called a Liverpool fan and go to a game as any, as the fact is the heart of this team has found its way into many people around the world, not just people from Liverpool itself.

Might be a little jumbly that post, and im sure I forgot things I meant to say, but my general idea is there I think :D

What a F***ing brilliant post.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #127: Apr 08, 2010 03:47:57 am
      Sorry if i digress away from the point being discussed, but i just want to reply to fazza and explain a little more :)

Fazza, i enjoy your posting most of the time, sometimes your points are not something i agree with, but they are well constructed and respectable - however this one represents a horribly closed minded view which i strongly disagree with, and although i know you meant no offense - it is offensive, however i won't hold it against you ;)

Now i never said that the internet research or getting my first strip on my 16th birthday is what makes me a great football and Liverpool fan - that was just stating that i indeed was already quite in love with this club before Istanbul, as you had made the point about post-Istanbul fans.

Now, bit of background on where im from, and how i became to be a fan - think ive posted this somewhere, and its a little hazy, but ill try and explain anyways. So, i come from a small town in country South Australia where there was only two sports that mattered - Aussie Rules in the winter, Cricket in the summer. The closest 'Soccer' league that i only found out about when i got older was a 50 minute drive away. I knew what footy was, and i enjoyed knocking the ball around at school, but knew nothing more than that, it was all AFL where i was from. But, my best mate somehow got into it when i was, oh, think it was maybe 11 years old - he was all about manure, and still is, but he told me about the channel that showed highlights and games every week, so i checked it out, and saw this little team called Liverpool playing - and i don't know what it was, but i just fell in love. Could have been the young, non-c**t version of Michael Owen, i don't know, but i was hooked. I hated manure from the off, no idea why but i did - coulda been just to piss off my mate, but then i started following Liverpool as well so it was fate me thinks :laugh: Also, i fell in love with the game itself as soon as i watched it - just loved it, everything about it. The skill, the passion, everything. Now, Fazza, try and even fathom loving this game and living in a place like i did. There's no outlet for your passion but just enjoying it to yourself. There's one reason why we gravitate towards European clubs.

Anyways, so from 11 through 16 i had nothing more than very occasional highlights on TV, and then little snippets in the newspaper - but i looked out for them ALL the time. Then i finally started getting on the internet probably around 15 and found out a lot more about the history and was fascinated. The stories of Shankly, Paisley, the players like Keegan, St John, Dalglish etc etc etc. I don't think i need to explain much more. Anyways, i was even more hooked. I got my first kit on my 16th birthday, and wore it proudly, and still do - along with the other 4 i have now :D

I was up at 4am for Istanbul. Do you know any teenagers who would get up that early for a game, unless it was real important to them?? Im a man who enjoys a lie-in as well! But i was up, cheering them on - and bloody fantastic it was! By then i was checking the internet all the time for reports about the team, and absolutely filling myself with infor everyday, and catching any game that was shown on TV.

Then, finished high school and started work, and my best mate (the manc) got his own place with cable TV so access to matches every weekend. And ever since then, it has been a weekly ritual for me to stay up late watching the games, doing anything i can to see them. And these games are usually on from midnight onwards, often 2-4am!! Every weekend, late night rituals to watch the reds. Weekdays as well when need be. It doesnt matter, its always worth it for me. Then i finally convinced my parents to get cable at home, and i paid my share just for the sports channels so i could have the games at home as well, and i was up every time watching them.

For 5 years now, ive been a hardcore fan, and then for 5-6 years before that, i was as gooder fan as i could be, with the limitations i had as a young kid in country South Oz with no internet, cable or anything like that. But i am now what i would think one many of the greatest fans on earth. I sing YNWA, bounce to Torres, etc etc just at home when im watching. Ive had two girlfriends break up with me with one of the main reasons being "You spend soo much time watching soccer and that team of yours!" which to that i said "F**k you, they are in my blood" and let them have it. I have gotten into fights with my parents after they have tried to tell me "its just a game" after ive gotten angry after a bad result - and i get along very well with my parents. My passion for this team is pumping through my veins 24/7, i wake up the two thoughts on my mind are to kiss my girl on the cheek, and then to log on and see what has happened in the world of Liverpool FC while ive slept. During the day, any chance i get im checking news and this forum for anything new - i stayed up until 2am just for fixture releases in June last year. Ive skipped classes, work, events, just to see a game.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, im simply stating that your opinion, to me, is a very closed-minded and disappointing one as someone i call a fellow red.

I aint no day-tripper - havent even been to a game before! But thats not the point, i feel i have just as much right as any to be called a Liverpool fan and go to a game as any, as the fact is the heart of this team has found its way into many people around the world, not just people from Liverpool itself.

Might be a little jumbly that post, and im sure i forgot things i meant to say, but my general idea is there i think :D

That is a brilliant post, Dave. Brilliant.

I can relate so heavily to that. Trying to be a supporter in Australia is a F***ing bi*ch, but we do it for the love of the club like anyone around the world and in the city of Liverpool itself. No one is above anyone else and in the end we are all fighting for the same cause because we love the club.

Well said, mate.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #128: Apr 08, 2010 04:32:15 am
      Cheers guys :) I know it is isn't it crouchy! One thing i forgot to mention is dealing with the people who give ya sh*t about it being a girls sport, bunch of pussies etc etc - you get that a lot in Australia, especially from a smaller community like mine. Bloody bi*ch it is, but my passion never wavered, got stronger if anything! We may be far reaching, but most of us here all have one simple thing in common - our hearts beat Liverpool red, and i think we all would be a riotously loud bunch if we went to Anfield together :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #129: Apr 08, 2010 04:36:36 am
      Cheers guys :) I know it is isn't it crouchy! One thing i forgot to mention is dealing with the people who give ya sh*t about it being a girls sport, bunch of pussies etc etc - you get that a lot in Australia, especially from a smaller community like mine. Bloody bi*ch it is, but my passion never wavered, got stronger if anything! We may be far reaching, but most of us here all have one simple thing in common - our hearts beat Liverpool red, and i think we all would be a riotously loud bunch if we went to Anfield together :D

Grrr!! F***ing hate that. And the negative limelight of being a bunch of prima donna's and diving cheats.

Anyway, your right again.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #130: Apr 08, 2010 10:38:49 am
      Was a good post mate and theres thousands and thousands like you. I've never questioned your support for Liverpool, or anybodys on this forum, but in my honest opinion i don't think somebody in your position has more of a right than somebody in merseyside for tickets, its just how i feel mate. I'm not talking about anything else other than tickets here.

Obviously we have different opinions, because were on two different sides of the world, and ofcourse you will always feel you have just as much right as anybody, but when i see liverpudlians with a liverpool postcode who have been going the match since they were a tot who can't get a ticket for the match nowadays and somebody from across the world can, i feel for them. Possibly because ive experienced it sh*t loads myself and it pisses me off.

Im lucky that i live in liverpool and have LFC on my doorstep and i know there are people around the world who haven't got that sort of luxury. I also know people live in different countries and football may not be the main sport there and therefore the standard is piss poor. Those people though, especially the english speaking nations such as australia, only ever support the top clubs in england, they never support stoke city for example do they? It's all based about success.

So where as i feel sorry for you in so many ways mate, i still don't think somebody such as yourself should have priority for tickets over somebody like my grandad who was watching liverpool in the shanks days, not the michael owen days.

We'll leave it there anyway mate, its just a different of opinion, and theres thousands who agree with me from liverpool and thousands who don't. Not saying im right but its just how i feel about it. Its my own personal annoyance. Its actually not anything against the supporters either, its about how liverpool fc is run.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #131: Apr 08, 2010 10:44:09 am
      That is a brilliant post, Dave. Brilliant.

I can relate so heavily to that. Trying to be a supporter in Australia is a f**king bi*ch, but we do it for the love of the club like anyone around the world and in the city of Liverpool itself. No one is above anyone else and in the end we are all fighting for the same cause because we love the club.

Well said, mate.

Ditto , I do my best here in India where glory hunting goes to a different level ( mancs) . I love the reds just as much as all of you and we all share the same passion and love them same team . No can be a "better" supporter just because they are from Liverpool .
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #132: Apr 08, 2010 10:50:09 am
      Was a good post mate and theres thousands and thousands like you. I've never questioned your support for Liverpool, or anybodys on this forum, but in my honest opinion I don't think somebody in your position has more of a right than somebody in merseyside for tickets, its just how I feel mate. I'm not talking about anything else other than tickets here.

I cna understand why you would feel for him . But for us foreign fans going to Anfeild could just be once in a lifetime we'll never know when we would ever get to go again . I would love to see the reds at Anfeild if tickets were available . And it's not like for you living in Liverpool you can go to as many matches as you want to , when you want . I understand that nowadays getting tickets is much harder , for anyone whether you live in Liverpool or anywhere else in the world . There really isn't more of a right to get tickets everyone should get equal rights in having a ticket though .
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #133: Apr 08, 2010 11:04:57 am
      I cna understand why you would feel for him . But for us foreign fans going to Anfeild could just be once in a lifetime we'll never know when we would ever get to go again . I would love to see the reds at Anfeild if tickets were available . And it's not like for you living in Liverpool you can go to as many matches as you want to , when you want . I understand that nowadays getting tickets is much harder , for anyone whether you live in Liverpool or anywhere else in the world . There really isn't more of a right to get tickets everyone should get equal rights in having a ticket though .

I understand that and for those who haven't experienced a game at anfield i hope that you do make it one day, even if that does contradict what i've been saying.

However, slightly off topic (and it has been for a few posts now), the only fair way of doing the tickets is putting them on a first come first serve basis. You have 20,000 or so season tickets, then the remaining 25,000 tickets should be put on sale on a certain date at Anfield and whoever ques up first gets them, simple as that.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #134: Apr 08, 2010 11:07:55 am
      Im lucky that i live in liverpool and have LFC on my doorstep and i know there are people around the world who haven't got that sort of luxury. I also know people live in different countries and football may not be the main sport there and therefore the standard is piss poor. Those people though, especially the english speaking nations such as australia, only ever support the top clubs in england, they never support stoke city for example do they? It's all based about success.

I don't think that's a fair call mate. Many of the fans here in Australia are from England or support from young age. To deny a young lad or someone who used to live in the country is extremely unfair simply because of a postcode.

Not to mention most of the foreigners on the boards are about support towards our manager and players when others are complaining and wanting them sold/sacked due to lack of trophies (this is from both locals and foreigners).

And finally, calling most of us gloryhunters is ridiculous. It's like me calling you one for not supporting Tranmere or something.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #135: Apr 08, 2010 11:20:13 am
      When i was a 5yr old lad(many,many,moons ago)i was given a liverpool top and scarf by my uncle and that was a the start of love affair with liverpool football club.since then ive watched hundreds of games home and away and ive been called day tripper/glory hunter etc,etc mainly because i dont have  a scouse accent.Now after reeling of a few facts of journeys /grounds /results blah blah they usually shut up and to be fair apologize,and after a bit of banter you find out that the "day trippers "that seem to piss people/locals off are the ones who spend a fortune in the megastore/and on there mobiles.

the last game i went to  and i could,nt quite believe what i saw/heard.I was unfortunate to be sitting next to a boyfriend and girlfriend who were just sat there yapping into there mobiles and then she went into her handbag and produced 2 little bottles of white wine and 2 plastic cups like they were on a F***ing picnic,the ground was like a F***ing mourge you could of heard a pin drop at certain times.......after that i thought "F**k this" and have never gone back preffering to try to get away tickets or watch it in the pub with mates .
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #136: Apr 08, 2010 12:40:12 pm
      but if it was me, id be in my stoke city strip, thats just me. I wouldnt support a club based on success, history or traditions, id support the club my family did or the one that was 2minutes away from my house.
      I should also add that I hate the city of Stoke-on-Trent and would move closer to Anfield in the blink of an eye if I hadn't made such a mess of my life, ;D
      I do sympathise with your comment about local supporters not being able to get tickets, though. Even I agree that that is wrong. Maybe when we have this new stadium, eh?  :f_whistle:

PS - My 7yr old son used to live 5 mins from Old Trafford and now lives 10 mins from the City of Manchester Stadium. Look out for him if ever you're in MancLand, he's the one wearing the LFC away top  ;)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #137: Apr 08, 2010 01:40:05 pm
      Well just day tripping my way out the door off to see the reds . ;)

Quick Reply