Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match ?

Javier Mascherano
      22 (30.1%)
      Pepe Reina
      37 (50.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      5 (6.8%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      2 (2.7%)
      Maxi
      4 (5.5%)
      Someone else?
      3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Post-Match Celebration: Liverpool 2 - 1 Blackburn Rovers

Read 21463 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Post-Match Celebration: Liverpool 2 - 1 Blackburn Rovers
      Reply #115: Feb 28, 2010 11:41:01 pm
      Saw highlights on MOTD we looked very average from that, know you can't judge but for Reina we wouldn't have got 3 points today.
      thunderbolt
      • Banned

• 8 posts |
      Reply #116: Feb 28, 2010 11:50:19 pm
      Torres rescues us, also Gerrard, it really is time others started to chip in with goals (excusing mascha who just did)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #117: Feb 28, 2010 11:59:09 pm
      Torres rescues us, also Gerrard, it really is time others started to chip in with goals (excusing mascha who just did)

I think it's actually about time Gerrard did if anything. I agree we need more to score, but Gerrard hasn't exactly been lighting it up either. Whole team needs to pick it up.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #118: Mar 01, 2010 12:02:39 am
      Just watched highlights on MOTD and I have to say I'm fuming at fat sams interview after the game, talk about sour grapes  :mad: hate that man so much, anyway onto far more important things, like Liverpool winning the game.

First of all how good was it to see Fernando back in the red shirt, we've missed you Nando, I thought it was a lovely move for the first goal, I actually though Stevie had pushed the ball to far, but he salvaged it and scored a beauty,and praise to Maxi for a lovely cross for Nando to score he reached that ball very well.

Felt really sorry for Carra, wrong place, lying prone in the penalty area isn't the best place to be for a defender, personally I thought it was a little harsh, but no real complaints, pity Pepe didn't save it, he almost got it, and that save at the end was world class and made sure Liverpool kept the three points, he was for me Man of the Match.

I thought some of the tackles dished out by the Blackburn players was Sunday league stuff,bloody diabolical, no wonder Rafa was livid afterwards, certainly the tackle and very deliberate push on Lucas by that thug N'zonzi was nothing short of disgraceful and certainly warranted a red card.

All in all you have to be happy with a win and three very valuable points.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #119: Mar 01, 2010 12:03:24 am
      He must swallow swords for a living.  ;D
      You knew it was Sword Swallowers Awareness Day today? (Link)

Saw highlights on MOTD we looked very average from that, know you can't judge but for Reina we wouldn't have got 3 points today.
      We were much better in the first half than the BBC highlights showed to be fair.  If Blackburn had rightly been reduced to 10 men then the victory could have been easier.

Great to see Nando back but I was concerned before the game with Carragher returning to central defence (though admit we had no other option).

I watched him a bit and it came as no surprise when he gave a penalty away.  Let's face it, if he had just stayed there then the ball wasn't going anywhere - a Blackburn player is unlikely to get away with going to whack the ball straight at him (although given that ref - maybe he would).

But apart from that his lack of mobility and attacking the ball was evident.  He was turned a couple of times, and from set pieces his worrying trend of standing in front of Reina, ready to do a starfish stop of the ball instead of the going to head it clear, continued.

I don't think it was any coincidence at all that as the game wore on and neared the end the nervousness at the back, that has been relatively absent since he moved to right back, returned.

We don't seem to be able to bring the ball out from the back with any confidence.

I worry for the lad - Rafa has got a big decision to make for the next league game - but if it was up to me I would be bringing Kyrgiakos back in and hoping Agger remains fit for the final 10 games.

It may well be great having Torres back, but if we return to the defensive shambles of the first 4 months of this season, then it will be worth nothing.

But three points was vital today, and we got it.

When you consider we lost 7 games in the first 18 matches, a record of only 1 defeat in the last 10 has to be a positive.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #120: Mar 01, 2010 12:15:21 am
      A positive for me was seeing Gerrard back in the middle. Not just seeing him back in the middle but providing a positive edge from the middle.

That move for his goal was sparked into life in the middle, with pace and drive. Something we've lacked in abundance this season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #121: Mar 01, 2010 12:36:35 am
      Watched the highlights and I still think N'zonzi should have got his marching orders. Don't think Lucas even provoked him at all. Also think that kick on the chest on Maxi by Chimbonda was intentional. You could see his leg stretching out as Maxi came falling.

I may be wrong but I also feel Carra couldn't have done anything else. Looks as though he "slipped" and there was no way he could take his hand away in time. A player of his experience would have known better not to do touch the ball with his hands considering there were no Rovers players around.

Loved how Stevie burst in the box to score his goal. Really liked him in the centre as well. He's the closest we have to a Xabi Alonso type of player.

All in all, good win even though the 2nd half was a little flat.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #122: Mar 01, 2010 12:43:54 am
      I think Carra could have done better in that situation, especially with the experience he has. But i wont entirely blame him because had it not been for Yossi giving the ball away cheaply a matter of seconds earlier it wouldn't have happened.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,217 posts | 3392 
      Reply #123: Mar 01, 2010 12:55:20 am
      Another three points and now we keep the pressure on those above us.

Stevie's goal was another peach, good team goal to which was pleasing and Torres is back scoring. We weren't at our best but three points are all that matters. It was typical of Blackburn though, long ball and hope for the F***ing best. We didn't cope too well with it but they didn't seem to have too many free, easy chances either.

I think it's the first time I've seen Maxi do something with the ball when he played it across for Nando and fair play to the Argentine for showing the determination to get their first and still having the awareness to pick out Torres.

The goal we conceded was a silly pen to give away, what Carra was doing lying on his back in the first place I don't know. But it didn't let it phase us proving once again that we're strong enough mentally for any battle. The rest of the defence was ok without really excelling. They had a couple of chances but nothing clear cut. Although the chances they did have, Reina handled superbly.

Loved Rafa taking the piss out of Blackburn and that fat c**t Allerdyce in his interview. Hope to F**k they go down, couldn't even sell half their tickets for the match.

Now into March we go and Marching on we go. 10 games to go, 10 wins to be had and a season that was written off in October could turn out to be ok in the end. It can't be a great season now but it can be ok and hopefully one we can mark down as a one off.

All in all a good enough result to see us get the three points against a side who were never gonna let us play the way we wanted to. Blackburn are too sh*t to be able to play footy against because they just cut you down. That's their tactics so I'm not too surprised we didn't look at our best. Because of how they set out to play we couldn't really get going. The one flowing move we did have saw Stevie putting us one up.

Happy days and a real springboard for the final charge.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #124: Mar 01, 2010 01:23:09 am
      Unable to catch it live but saw a replay.   They looked good.  Fantastic first half.  Was very Impressed by Masch and Maxi Rodriguez.  I really think Maxi is a good fit for this club.  I think with a good off season and some additional playing time he could certainly cement a starting position every match.  He seems to be playing as if he's been a red for years.  Those first few game jitters seems to be gone.   He has solid passing ability, good field vision and solid striking power.  I think an off season of training with the first team and working with Gerrard,Torres, Masch, Carra etc...He will be a key player for a solid run in the seasons to come.

Now with Man city not having a 2 game advantage anymore and 1 point separating the 4-6th spots. Its going to be a tough run for the rest of the season. With Yossi, Torres and Johnson back and hopefully the Injuries behind us I like where we are. 

I think its a real hard climb to get to the top spot.  Man U and Chelsea are playing real solid football right now.  I think we can finish 3-4 no problem.  I just think that the 13 point swing between Liverpool and Chelsea is a real big hill to climb.  I dont think its Impossible, but it will certainly be very hard to win the EPL right now without a massive collapse of Man U and Chelsea. Liverpool will need to play perfect football and win every single match till the last match to even have a chance.  Not being a hater just being a bit realistic.  But, stranger things have happened.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #125: Mar 01, 2010 02:10:40 am
      Didn't get to watch the match but just seen the goals, class finish by Stevie.

Wrapped we got the 3 points, well done lads. Can't wait to watch the Highlights show, looking forward to seeing this save from Pepe at the death, that you're all raving about.
      I thought you were coming over to watch the match,and i got some beers in as well.Reina was man of the match for me again and I thought Mascherano ran him a close second.He played right back and he defended and attacked well.In fact Johnson will have a job to displace him on that form.Blackburn played the way all Big Fat Sam teams play -with filth so he got his just reward and RAFA once again had the last laugh.A good result and three points in the bag.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #126: Mar 01, 2010 04:58:42 am
      Playing gerrard in the midfield will yield positive results,he was brilliant in the first half and did a decent job in the other.Maxi was fantastic,he combined really well with masch and played some neat first touch football.Reina saved our blushes with a world class save and is definitely the player of the season.Kuyt had a mixed match,he was good in the first half but was average in the other.Torres returning was a huge boost and he needs more matches to get to his best.Yossi and lucas were average at best.Agger was our best defender today and carra was poor to say the least.Hope gerrard stays in midfield but it wont happen.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #127: Mar 01, 2010 08:25:08 am
      Still made up with this result.

Masch was my man of the match. Worked tirelessly throughout and out of position too.

Good to see Torres back. His goal was excellent and the initial ball through from Lucas was a peach. Gerrard also had a brilliant game. Let's hope this good run of form continues.

Also, I feel for Aurelio. He has no luck with injuries does he?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #128: Mar 01, 2010 09:04:13 am
      Also, I feel for Aurelio. He has no luck with injuries does he?

He's like the Michael Owen Judas of defence.  :f_tongueincheek:

He'll come good and stop having an injury streak :)
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #129: Mar 01, 2010 09:08:41 am
      Haven't been on the forum all weekend so not sure what others have made out of the game but heres my take.

I was in the Centenary for this one. Firstly, well done to Blackburn. Instead of coming to Anfield and sitting 11 men behind the ball and making it a very boring game, they had a real go. They looked like a side in confidence and to be perfectly honesty, they deserved atleast a point if not more, they were the better side. The last 10-15 minutes or so they were completly on top and Liverpool couldn't string 3-4 passes together. The feeling around the ground was very nervy and we were all delighted to hear that final whistle. Liverpool probably had slightly more possession than them which you would expect, but Blackburn had 3 or 4 really good opportunities and probably should have scored.

We went 4-4-2 yesterday and put gerrard back in the midfield, something so many of you have been calling out for for months. Ok we got the result, but believe me, we looked extremely poor. I think having Masc in the middle alongside Aquilani and putting Gerrard behind torres then we would have really took this game to Bburn and won comfortably instead of holding onto a 2-1 lead for 20 minutes or so.

Reina - Couple of dodgy punches, didn't collect all his crosses either, but his saves were once again spot on.

Mascherano - Fitted in well at right back and did very little wrong. Had a good game and has probably already claimed player of the season for Liverpool.

Carragher - Had and OK game. Great at tackling which is why i always like to see him play in the middle. On the ball though he does very little apart from hoof it up field. He is awful in the air too which is a major worry.

Agger - Same as Carra, he did OK. Awful in the air too and im not sure if its a good idea to play both Agger and Carragher against sides such as Blackburn.

Aurelio - Can't really remember him kicking the ball before he went off due to injury.

Insua - Played quite well. Just did his job and kept it simple. Cut out the silly mistakes hes been making this season.

Lucas - Poor. Been saying it all season, one game he will be excellent then the very next he will be dog sh*t. Almost cost us a goal and didn't get a grip of the midfield. Would have been nice to have seen him pass the ball forward instead of sideways every single time too.

Maxi - Great assist for torres but apart from that he did very little. Couple of nice passes and abit of link up play here and there but he doesn't look comfortable with the physical side of the game to me.

Benayoun - Glad to have him back in the team because he is the only person who is willing and capable of taking players on. Look far more dangerous with him in the side rather than the likes of Riera.

Gerrard - Great goal and played pretty well throughout. Wasn't his best game by all means but very little complaints from the skipper.

Torres - could see he wasn't match fit but good run out for him and great to see him on the score sheet. Showed a few moments of brilliance when he abused some of their players with his skill and pace. My only criticism is he trys to do too much every single time. He should either pass it a moment earlier or pull the trigger a moment earlier - not try and walk it in every time. But so glad to have you back nando.

Kuyt - My man of the match. One of few at the moment who looks like he wants to wear the shirt for me, he looks like he wants that 4th place and hes prepared to do anything for it. Some say he runs around like a headless chicken but not for me, put pressure on their back 4 constantly and wouldn't let them knock it around, it usually resulted in them hoofing it up the field or knocking it out of play for our throw in. Linked up well throughout too, just had a really good game in general.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #130: Mar 01, 2010 10:02:25 am
      Had a fantastic festival of colours here in Nepal.  Had gone for picnic with friends 25km NE of Kathmandu.  Didn't want to miss this match so returned home early a little drunk.  Was watching the first match hoping that Everton would equalise, but that didn't happen.  Suddenly, I feel asleep only to wake up with Blackburn been given the spot kick.  IMO I thought it was more ball to hand.

Than suddenly welcome back senor Torres.  Boom goal!  What a finish.  I thought it was a real battling performance by us.  Though I wished we would have killed the game off that would have had a cool impact for the 'ol heart.

We won end of.  Whew!!!  MOTM Reina with Masch running second for me.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 10:38:18 am by BKLFC, Reason: ballting »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #131: Mar 01, 2010 10:35:59 am
      Great weekend for me. Liverpool won. Ireland won the rugby and the girlfriend said yes.
      NICE!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #132: Mar 01, 2010 10:42:02 am
      Great weekend for me. Liverpool won. Ireland won the rugby and the girlfriend said yes.
      NICE!
      Congrats for that. :laugh:
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #133: Mar 01, 2010 10:43:09 am
      NICE!
      I love the order you put that in. :laugh:

Congratulations.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #134: Mar 01, 2010 10:44:41 am
      NICE!

Ahem.  I hope you told her that "It's only 'kinky' the first time"  >:D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #135: Mar 01, 2010 10:50:40 am
      I love the order you put that in. :laugh:

Congratulations.

She knows at this stage. She even brought me to Mourinhos last game at Anfield for my birthday.
      Ahem.  I hope you told her that "It's only 'kinky' the first time"  >:D

And damn near impossible ever again
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #136: Mar 01, 2010 10:56:20 am
      And damn near impossible ever again

:lmao: At least we're on the same wavelength - for a minute i thought you'd asked her to marry you.  ;)

I was all ready with some sound advice that only comes with age:- Don't.

Fifteen years from now you'll be looking at her and thinking - "If i had murdered her when i met her (like bbb suggested); with time-off, for good behaviour, i'd be out by now"   >:D

Congrats by the way.  ;D

Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #137: Mar 01, 2010 12:27:30 pm
      Congratulations!!  What a great weekend for you!!

Was at the game- fantastic win- 3points well deserved for everyones effort-
      Maxi impressed me today- setting Torres up- Making runs- he is getting better and better- Just the kind of player we needed!!
      Nice to see Torres getting back to his best- will also be praying he comes back ok from International duty!!

Am loving Reina more and more each match- keeps saving our asses- much like Gerrard!!

Would have been nice for Spurs to lose and Villa to win- but things cant always go our way!!

Anyone see what Allardyce had to say after the match?!  haha What a di*k!!   Maybe he should teach his players to foul less and he would have less to moan about!!  Reminds me of Fergie!!

Quick Reply