Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 378361 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2254: Feb 10, 2015 03:33:15 pm
      If he cares about becoming a good footballer he will sign an extension with us provided its a reasonable offer.

I think he's already a pretty good footballer.  I mean he is already the best player in our squad by some distance.  So if you don't even think he is good yet, then what does that say about the rest of the squad...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2255: Feb 10, 2015 03:33:20 pm
      "If" is the big word, but agree with you for sure.

Indeed that's a big if because I don't claim to know what's going on. I suspect that Sterling is likely to sign soon and Brendan's quotes are meant to deflect any media influence from the young man at this important juncture in his career development.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2256: Feb 10, 2015 03:34:07 pm
      I think he's already a pretty good footballer.  I mean he is already the best player in our squad by some distance.  So if you don't even think he is good yet, then what does that say about the rest of the squad...

How much better is he than;

Coutinho?

Sturidge?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2257: Feb 10, 2015 03:38:50 pm
      If he cares about becoming a good footballer he will sign an extension with us provided its a reasonable offer. He has flourished under Rodgers and likely wouldn't have been given the attention, the chance and the responsibility he has been given by Rodgers.

I disagree mate, Sterling would be well and truly breaking through wherever he was playing. Lets not pretend it's all down to the love and encouragement he has received from Brendan or the club in general. He plays because he is talented and he would be playing no matter where he was at in my opinion, absolutely.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2258: Feb 10, 2015 03:41:07 pm
      I disagree mate, Sterling would be well and truly breaking through wherever he was playing. Lets not pretend it's all down to the love and encouragement he has received from Brendan or the club in general. He plays because he is talented and he would be playing no matter where he was at in my opinion, absolutely.

Respectfully disagree.

He's good but he has a LOT to improve on. Most of it between the ears as his skills dont leave a whole lot to debate.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2259: Feb 10, 2015 03:43:00 pm

Really he would have not even broken into the first team at Real, Barca and been loaned out at Chelski.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #2260: Feb 10, 2015 03:54:36 pm
      Really he would have not even broken into the first team at Real, Barca and been loaned out at Chelski.

Factamundo!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2261: Feb 10, 2015 04:11:05 pm

Respectfully; not even close
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2262: Feb 10, 2015 04:22:38 pm
      I don't think any other manager at the top level would have played Raheem in as many roles as Brendan has and been rewarded with the performances he has produced.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2263: Feb 10, 2015 04:28:39 pm
      Respectfully disagree.

He's good but he has a LOT to improve on. Most of it between the ears as his skills dont leave a whole lot to debate.

Probably a big part of the problem is that Brendan, Hodgson, fellow players, the media and fans alike have put him on a pedestal, sung his praises to high heaven and so now, all he and his agent can hear are the kerching, kerchings. The question now of course, is how do you manage those expectations and numerate accordingly?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2264: Feb 10, 2015 04:33:06 pm
      The fact that we have to debate his future on here when he's on 20 and only been in the side for 2/3yrs tells us all what we need to know about Sterling and its the fact that he's got his eye's on somewhere else either down south (Rentboys) or Spain. he wants to live the fast life the highlife and feels that we dont match that abition otherwise he would have signed on the spot. he's a fantastic young talent but not ready for a move and i think it will ruin him as whichever team he goes to they will expect even more that we already expect from him. If he dont deliever they will turn on him, we are more understanding as he's come through the ranks since moving from QPR and still needs IMO  2 more season to be considered a top Europian talent for the likes of Madrid. If he goes to Chelsea he will get subbed more, not start as often and if he fails to deliever will be loaned out
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2265: Feb 10, 2015 05:01:31 pm

Coutinho?

Sturidge?

I think he's better than both of them.  Not by much but definitely better.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2266: Feb 10, 2015 07:29:06 pm

Admittedly when you select the two best teams in world football to make the point then yeah, maybe it would have taken longer but both Madrid and particularly Barca are happy to give youth a chance. You only have to look at the progress of Isco at Real the past couple of seasons and The Brca conveyor belt brings players through every couple of years. I'm not trying to say that the environment hasn't been good for him at LFC, it's been excellent but he would have been a player no matter where he was. I think he is being massively under rated by anyone who thinks differently.

Also, I am looking at this from the context of how well (not so well) I think the club go about their business these days. You only have to look at the Gerrard situation they didn't think to even mention a contract extension until the back end of November and that only came about after the skipper kept gettign asked about it from the media. He had retired from international football to concentrate on LFC for gods sake and still the club didn't twig. Now there seem to be a good number on here who are happy the skipper is off but given the season he had last year, not to offer him a new deal the moment he got back form the WC was Foookin shoddy which ever way you dress it up. Then You've got our future Captain with less than 18 months to run on his deal and it barely seems to register an issue. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

And I've read a few people suggesting Ibe is the better prospect (off the back of one good game) and is ready to step into Sterling's shoes at the drop of a hat. Well that's great until we're in exactly same position with him in 2 seasons time eh? It want to see the club behaving like a top top club, I want to see ambition, I want to see our best players staying at the club. Not watch as we sell our best player to the highest bidder every three years and then struggle to hold on to our brightest young talents.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2267: Feb 10, 2015 11:29:16 pm

I think he's better than both of them.  Not by much but definitely better.
      You have well and truly lost it if you actually believe that.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2268: Feb 10, 2015 11:33:27 pm

Coutinho?

Sturidge?

To be fair they all have different qualities and we are lucky to have all 3 of them.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2269: Feb 11, 2015 12:29:39 am
      To be fair they all have different qualities and we are lucky to have all 3 of them.

I agree.

On a side note, I actually think Coutinho and Sterling would get into the Real first team in the #10 position ahead of James or Isco.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #2270: Feb 11, 2015 01:14:21 am
      Admittedly when you select the two best teams in world football to make the point then yeah, maybe it would have taken longer but both Madrid and particularly Barca are happy to give youth a chance. You only have to look at the progress of Isco at Real the past couple of seasons and The Brca conveyor belt brings players through every couple of years. I'm not trying to say that the environment hasn't been good for him at LFC, it's been excellent but he would have been a player no matter where he was. I think he is being massively under rated by anyone who thinks differently.

Just on the Isco point - there is no way you can give Madrid credit for him. He had two full seasons (35 and 47 games) under his belt at Malaga before going to Madrid for 30 million. He played in the champions league, won the Golden boy award and made his international debut whilst at Malaga. Real Madrid bought him as a developed player, if not fully developed yet. I can't really see it as giving youth a chance. He was young, but already proven at the highest level.

Sorry, a bit off topic.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2271: Feb 11, 2015 04:27:14 am

If ever there was a player to make your point mate then it wasn't Isco, they paid 30m for him after ripping it up in La Liga for Malaga.

Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2272: Feb 11, 2015 04:38:06 am
      If ever there was a player to make your point mate then it wasn't Isco, they paid 30m for him after ripping it up in La Liga for Malaga.

I didn't realise, I don't follow La Liga with the sharpest of eyes and assumed the lad had been brought through at Real given that he is still pretty young. Maybe Madrid not the best example at all.

But going back to my original point. Sterling would have been a player no matter where he played or was brought through, sure it might have involved going on loan somewhere if he had been at a club like Madrid but bottom line, he is a very talented player. 9 goals last season in a side that was full of weapons. 9 more this season in a side that spluttered till Christmas and I would expect him to go on and score 20 by seasons end. Ibe looks a cracking prospect but don't let's get carried away too quickly here, Sterling is a ways ahead and has confirmed his talent over the past 14 months
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2273: Feb 11, 2015 11:51:40 am
      Sterling is a top talent but the only reason he's so far ahead of Ibe is gametime, Ibe has not had the 1st team game time and givin the same amounts Sterling has had i would expect him to be as good if not better due to the fact he's a natural finisher when striking the ball it looks natural and looks to have better decision making in final 3rd. End of the day Sterling has been offerd what the club and owners think he's worth now if he choses that he wants more money then how far will it go. will  he then be the highest earner at the club when he's not even the Captain or Vice, and he's only really had 3 years as a pro so shouldnt expect that amount yet....
      if FSG cant sort it this week before heading back to Boston then i think he will be sold in summer for the highest bidder and we move on
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2274: Feb 11, 2015 09:19:00 pm
      Said it in the contract thread, If I was his agent I would wait and see how Hazard's contract pans out at Chelsea and then ask for 15% more for being English.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2275: Feb 11, 2015 09:20:21 pm
      Said it in the contract thread, If I was his agent I would wait and see how Hazard's contract pans out at Chelsea and then ask for 15% more for being English.

Not on Hazards level just now so with that logic why not wait until Messi renews and ask for what he's on
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2276: Feb 11, 2015 09:22:19 pm
      Not on Hazards level just now so with that logic why not wait until Messi renews and ask for what he's on

According to many we should pay Raheem what he wants...so if I was his agent I would look at Hazard.

Remember from the agents view it is the promise of the future that matters, not what he has actually done.

Quick Reply