Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 382281 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2231: Feb 10, 2015 08:28:10 am
      A new contract has been on the table for a month with a view to extending the current deal which runs to 2017, Brendan Rodgers has gone on record as describing the new contract as ''incredible'' but the player will not get ''too much too young'', the manager said ''the club has offered an incredible deal for a young player but if they get too much too young it really sabotages their development''.

Let's hope Raheem's agent shares the manager's concerns for his client's welfare.
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2015 08:42:21 am by stuey »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2232: Feb 10, 2015 08:45:43 am
      I personally don't see what all the fuss is about Sterling

His finishing is poor, he doesn't link well with others, he runs into defenders too often instead of laying the ball off, and only looks tidy with space in front of him to run into. He's got pace but doesn't know how best to utilise it

He's got a lot to learn and I think he'd be best served by listening to his manager than his agent. Simply put, if Sterling is worth £100k, then already on a handful of performances, Ibe is worth £110k
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #2233: Feb 10, 2015 09:07:00 am

His finishing is poor, he doesn't link well with others, he runs into defenders too often instead of laying the ball off, and only looks tidy with space in front of him to run into. He's got pace but doesn't know how best to utilise it

He's got a lot to learn and I think he'd be best served by listening to his manager than his agent. Simply put, if Sterling is worth £100k, then already on a handful of performances, Ibe is worth £110k

He has been up front, some would say too up front in the light of Studge's months on the physio list, with no visible means of support it would be unfair to evaluate his worth or his skills on that unbalanced stage.
      The whole team has felt the vacuum the loss of our top poacher created and we have seen what the deadly duo are capable of when they plunder at will.
      Give Raheem another game or two mate to rekindle the partnership and the results will hopefully be priceless. 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #2234: Feb 10, 2015 09:12:57 am
      Before everybody turns on the lad (and I can kinda feel that beginning to happen) ask yourselves this. Would our rivals at the top end of the table be having these problems signing one of their own top young talents to a new deal?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #2235: Feb 10, 2015 09:17:32 am
      Before everybody turns on the lad (and I can kinda feel that beginning to happen) ask yourselves this. Would our rivals at the top end of the table be having these problems signing one of their own top young talents to a new deal?
      Well the scum just left Anderson go on a free

Sorry, couldn't resist
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #2236: Feb 10, 2015 09:34:01 am
      Well the scum just left Anderson go on a free

Sorry, couldn't resist

Thanks for the reminder hahahahaha.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #2237: Feb 10, 2015 09:40:18 am

I agree £100k a week is more than a fair offer for Sterling.

But how can you not see what all the fuss about Sterling is about he is arguably the most talented player under 21 playing in world football right now!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2238: Feb 10, 2015 10:36:54 am

But how can you not see what all the fuss about Sterling is about he is arguably the most talented player under 21 playing in world football right now!

It's bonkers mate, I don't get the idea that it's a good move for us to let him go. 
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #2239: Feb 10, 2015 10:52:38 am
      It's bonkers mate, I don't get the idea that it's a good move for us to let him go. 

This all day. There seems to be a bit of a 'take it or leave' attitude from our fans. Well should he decide to leave it that effectively means he is off, if not in the summer then sometime during the following year. Can we/could we replace him with a similar talent with similar potential and up-side? The answer is very probably no.

And as for going public as Brendan has just done, is that a good idea? Turning it in to a stand-off in the media? I don't think so meself.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2240: Feb 10, 2015 11:00:10 am
      This all day. There seems to be a bit of a 'take it or leave' attitude from our fans. Well should he decide to leave it that effectively means he is off, if not in the summer then sometime during the following year. Can we/could we replace him with a similar talent with similar potential and up-side? The answer is very probably no.

And as for going public as Brendan has just done, is that a good idea? Turning it in to a stand-off in the media? I don't think so meself.

We'll replace him with Ibe mate which probably isn't what those saying he can leave will be expecting, they're still under the allusion that we'll buy someone like Reus  :mad:

As if we'd refuse one of our own a pay rise and bring in someone on twice the wages we're refusing to pay Raheem  :lmao:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #2241: Feb 10, 2015 11:16:30 am

Never really considered that angle mate, it does lead you to wonder if BR would have to get clearance before making such a statement and from who?
      Which leads to the question of the reasoning behind any decision in favour or not for as you say, ''going public''.

If his agent were playing to the arena and touting his client I would have thought the club would strive to keep such carry on as low key as possible, if of coarse the intention is to retain the services of the player.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2242: Feb 10, 2015 11:51:24 am
      We need to offer him what he wants as we have to show that we are competitive in wages, but if its true he's turned down 2nd offer this time of 100k then he is a greedy little mofo and my respect for his motives as a player have gone. i understand his greedy agent wanting to squeez for every quid but Sterling is on the up so his wages should rise accordingly. so first yr 100k, 2nd year 110k 3rd 120 and so on till we reach the max of what we would pay for a player depending on ability.
      coutiho signed no problem and is just as good, i feel sterling wouldnt have the goals he has now if Sturridge had been fit, BR has made him the player he is by trusting in him so he should repay BR for that by signing this deal
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #2243: Feb 10, 2015 12:47:04 pm
      I said his cousin told him to sign for Chelsea a while back. Seems like that's his intention...
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #2244: Feb 10, 2015 12:51:17 pm
      Never really considered that angle mate, it does lead you to wonder if BR would have to get clearance before making such a statement and from who?
      Which leads to the question of the reasoning behind any decision in favour or not for as you say, ''going public''.

If his agent were playing to the arena and touting his client I would have thought the club would strive to keep such carry on as low key as possible, if of coarse the intention is to retain the services of the player.

I'm not sure it will even be discussed in such detail mate, not when FSG are pretty much absent owners for the most part. I understand that Gerrard actually brought it into the media eye with is comments last week but that doesn't mean Brendan needs to respond and it would have been better for all concerned to keep such things in house in my eyes. As much as I like Brendan it does seem to me that he pays close attention to the media coverage the club gets and is often compelled to comment when silence is the more prudent option.

We'll replace him with Ibe mate which probably isn't what those saying he can leave will be expecting, they're still under the allusion that we'll buy someone like Reus  As if we'd refuse one of our own a pay rise and bring in someone on twice the wages we're refusing to pay Raheem

And this is the crux of it. Look where we are as a club. We're not going to go and get one of the top top youngsters from another club, at least not the sort that are wanted by all the big clubs (ie. a player like Hazzard a couple of seasons ago), they are out of our league unfortunately, but the thing is, we've got one of those players sitting on our books RIGHT NOW. We need his best years (if not all of them) to be at Liverpool Football Club. Now maybe he is a greedy bugger, maybe his agent is a bit of a tw*t BUT he will know that the player can probably earn a lot more elsewhere and that is what we are up against. But even still, is standing form, selling the lad eventually and then paying over the odds for another player we hope is up to it more financially (or football) sensible option?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2245: Feb 10, 2015 12:54:20 pm
      And this is the crux of it. Look where we are as a club. We're not going to go and get one of the top top youngsters from another club, at least not the sort that are wanted by all the big clubs (ie. a player like Hazzard a couple of seasons ago), they are out of our league unfortunately, but the thing is, we've got one of those players sitting on our books RIGHT NOW. We need his best years (if not all of them) to be at Liverpool Football Club. Now maybe he is a greedy bugger, maybe his agent is a bit of a tw*t BUT he will know that the player can probably earn a lot more elsewhere and that is what we are up against. But even still, is standing form, selling the lad eventually and then paying over the odds for another player we hope is up to it more financially (or football) sensible option?

Spot on mate.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #2246: Feb 10, 2015 01:23:18 pm
      I said his cousin told him to sign for Chelsea a while back. Seems like that's his intention...

Well if his cousin told him it must be true!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2247: Feb 10, 2015 01:25:14 pm
      He's out of tonights game and john henry is at tonights game........... has he got a knock really or is the big man in to sort this deal out once and forall with a take it or leave it last offer.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #2248: Feb 10, 2015 01:27:39 pm
      I dont know if he's that gullible but he strikes me as one who wants to be London gallivanting. Not so long ago I've seen where Chelsea been looking into bringing him in. I know for a fact his cousin told him to join in a serious way. Whether or not he's considered it seriously I don't know. But he's surely taking his sweet time with this deal.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2249: Feb 10, 2015 01:57:10 pm
      I dont know if he's that gullible but he strikes me as one who wants to be London gallivanting. Not so long ago I've seen where Chelsea been looking into bringing him in. I know for a fact his cousin told him to join in a serious way. Whether or not he's considered it seriously I don't know. But he's surely taking his sweet time with this deal.

Let him take his time, he has a few years left on his current contract. There isn't a rush.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #2250: Feb 10, 2015 02:02:34 pm

On current form, and by that I include the entire season to date, I don't agree he's the most talented under 21 player in world football. In fact, I don't think he's the most talented under 21 player at Liverpool right now.

I'm not saying take this or there's the door either; I'm just saying I don't think he's as good as others think he is.

He might be a world beater in a year or two, but right now he's got a lot to learn. So let him learn. Sure, of course. Like I said, I'm not saying anything other than I don't rate him as highly as most.

Happy to be proven wrong because then everyone wins
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2251: Feb 10, 2015 03:19:18 pm
      If he is holding out for more money then it's hard to blame him.  I mean why should he accept being on less money than Glen Johnson?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #2252: Feb 10, 2015 03:24:34 pm
      If he cares about becoming a good footballer he will sign an extension with us provided its a reasonable offer. He has flourished under Rodgers and likely wouldn't have been given the attention, the chance and the responsibility he has been given by Rodgers.

If other things factor into it, fame, money, location, etc.....then he may find himself playing somewhere else.

I hope he stays for many years to come, but he has no right to hold the club hostage over his deal if that's what's going on here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2253: Feb 10, 2015 03:26:18 pm
      I hope he stays for many years to come, but he has no right to hold the club hostage over his deal if that's what's going on here.

"If" is the big word, but agree with you for sure.

Quick Reply