Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Maxi Rodriguez
      (5.7%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (73.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (17.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2.8%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss

Read 22010 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss
      Reply #115: Mar 16, 2010 12:08:36 am
      Rodriguez looks like he has got a future at Anfield.

I thought Babel flattered to deceive, took his goal well but guilty of wasting chances and possession a few times.

Aquilani? Good.  All his best play came when he was further up the pitch.

I don't went to get too confident because it was Portsmouth.  Against someone decent playing such an attacking player alongside Mascherano could either leave Masch exposed or stifle Aquilani's play.

Now those people who watched us beat United at Old Trafford last year will know exactly what game we were playing and I'm not convinced going there with such an attacking line up would be a clever idea.

But I'd like to see something similar against Lille on Thursday at Anfield.

Really surprised you're not digging Babel's performance. I think we all know that Babel is a player who at best gives about 20 minutes good play in a full 90. Last night he was all over the pitch for about 80 minutes. Plus he scored his fifth goal which is more that can be said for other players. But what impressed me the most about him is that he clicked with an attacking formation. He seemed at home swapping around with Torres and Gerrard. He enjoyed his football and had a smile on his face. At one point he was even defending our left back spot whilst Insua was lost in space somewhere. Credit where credit is due I think.

Aquilani as well. Of course his best play came up the pitch. How refreshing was it to see a central midfielder get in the box and put the ball in the net. We've missed that in abundance this season. Really missed it.

It was only Pompey. Fair enough. But these are the teams we should be taking apart and especially at home. We did and it was a thankful sight to see. It proved that we're not done and dusted yet and one or two less creative players out of the team works wonders when you want to make a statement - not only to the fans, but the players themselves.

Hats off to Rafa for making the right team selection. I thought he got it spot on and our football proved that.

As for the manc game coming up, I'd use squad players like Lucas and Kuyt to graft a result.

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #116: Mar 16, 2010 12:10:20 am
      I'll start buying cheaper food though so I can throw more money at our owners and make the match sound good on your TV.

:f_whistle:

I do that anyway :D Iceland is an actual Robbie Fowler.

Babel played OK. Not great, just OK.
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Reply #117: Mar 16, 2010 12:10:30 am
      I'll be there next season and if my vocal chords aren't torn to shreds, then I will have failed.

Is right fella, glad your coming over and you will get to experience the atmosphere and add to it, that comment is Liverpool through and through  :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #118: Mar 16, 2010 12:11:48 am
      No on the whole they did well. 

I'd be fairly happy if we played that line up for the rest of the season (although Insua and Carragher are still debatable first teamers, even Kelly showed more in 20 minutes than Insua did all game and Kyrgiakos is a threat up front as well as solid in defence).  The only time I think it would be suicide would be on Sunday.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #119: Mar 16, 2010 12:15:32 am
      Good result, that. Could never have come at a better time with a crucial week ahead.

I didn't watch the whole game but just saw the highlights. Good to see Stevie show some determination and hunger and made a chase for the ball that led to the first goal. It's pressure like this that makes others do mistake. Easy for Nando to slot home.

Great to see Ryan Babel get on the scoresheet also. Deserved his goal IMO. Looks like he's changed after his heart-to-heart talk with Rafa. Credit to him for being able to keep his composure with 3 Pompey players surrounding him to double our lead.

I'm sure that back heel by Nando was meant for Stevie but Stevie played smart as defenders would really stop in situations like this. Well in, Alberto, grabbing your first goal in front of the Kop.

Great pass by Alberto to set up Nando too.

I was very impressed with Maxi and Aquilani. Aquilani played really, really well but I voted Nando as Man of the Match mainly because he played a part in all four goals, grabbing a brace and two assists. Also, it looked like the Steven Gerrard of last season, making runs into the box and could have scored a couple himself.

Aquilani and Babel kinda showed what we have been lacking - variety. Most of the games prior to tonight's match had one or both out of the team. In addition to the absence of Fernando Torres, we were pretty predictable.

Though we conceded a really soft goal, all in all, a good performance and good result. Bring on Lille and Man United next. Hope this result has boosted the confidence of the team.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #120: Mar 16, 2010 12:18:45 am
      I didn't watch the whole game but just saw the highlights.
      All 88 minutes of them. ;)

I wondered why we won - now I realise it was because you hadn't watched us.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #121: Mar 16, 2010 12:26:07 am
      Great performance, great result.... a morale boosting from all front bar the crowd.
      Can wait for Lille match(pity, Maxi won't be involved).

.... and also for JD to unlock 'Is Rafa the right man?' thread. Bet it's gonna be a bit quiet tonight.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #122: Mar 16, 2010 12:35:42 am
      .... and also for JD to unlock 'Is Rafa the right man?' thread.

Did it a while ago. ;)

Fair play to Babel.

On second analysis he took his goal even better than I first thought, almost brave in riding the incoming tackles as well.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #123: Mar 16, 2010 12:37:49 am
      I've been waiting all season for a performance like that. Mega pleased!

Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #124: Mar 16, 2010 12:56:02 am
      Oh thank F**k, finally some happiness, surely Alberto has done enough to keep his place ahead of Lucas for a good while with that performace, stunning!!!

Also, felt Maxi linked well with Nando on a few occasions, Babel played a blinder, and Gerrard shown glimpses of form. Can't really fault anybody today, hope that is the team to play Lille and then on to United.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #125: Mar 16, 2010 12:56:30 am
      Tonight was a genuine pleasure. It gave me the Liverpool of last year not the horrid, defensively set out, negative, confidence lacking side we saw before tonight. The tactics were the one we had all been crying out for months and its just a kick in the teeth to wonder what might have been had Benitez set out his team like he had tonight for the whole season rather than constantly choosing negative players like Lucas.

Tonight gave me the answer I was looking for. Yes it was against Portsmouth - but it showed that there was a good team there after all.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #126: Mar 16, 2010 01:19:09 am
      A good result,but beware,Pompey where sh*te.The next seven days will define our season.Am I confident? No because I think we will revert to our "no loss" strategy.For me I would go for it,rather go out in a blaze of glory, than sneaking in by the back door,ffs Rafa,Now is the time.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #127: Mar 16, 2010 01:51:12 am
       It was a pleasure to see players passing the ball and moving instead of standing still like in previous matches.I think Aquilani deserves credit the way he passed the ball around.Portsmouth may well be sh*te as mentioned by RedRoy but we have failed to knock these sort of teams over this season.
                                                        For me the players looked as if they wanted to win and that was the difference to previous matches.One further note it would be an injustice if Aquilani does not keep his place in the team after that performance.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #128: Mar 16, 2010 01:56:20 am
      A good result,but beware,Pompey where sh*te.The next seven days will define our season.Am I confident? No because I think we will revert to our "no loss" strategy.For me I would go for it,rather go out in a blaze of glory, than sneaking in by the back door,ffs Rafa,Now is the time.
      Definitely we should go for it against Lille, but our 'negative' team did well at Old Trafford last season and I think using Torres on the break against their defenders too high up the pitch is exactly the strategy to opt for again.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #129: Mar 16, 2010 02:01:54 am
      Much much better,  I have been hoping we can see more attacking players on the pitch all season, and tonight we got them. 

Torres, Babel, Maxi, Gerrard, Aquilani and Johnson ALL in the starting line up.  UNBELIEVABLY GOOD

Lucas, and Kuyt on the bench. And didn't we look so much more dangerous. Aquilani tonight has proven that he does have that creative quality that Lucas lacks. Babel looks like he plays in second gear, but a commendable performance nonetheless and god help any opposition if babel is given enough opportunities to find first gear, because I suspect his first gear would be quite devastating. Lets hope he stays off twitter!

Once again, a fine performance from a different looking Liverpool side, and surely now Benitez can see that starting these attacking players is the way forward.

By the way  (Torres-babel-Gerrard- Aquilani-Johnson) are all absolute necessity starters and I dont mind either of Benayoun or Maxi or Kuyt (if in form)   as the extra attacking/creative player as long as we get one of them.

Pepe didnt do much, but made one of the saves of the season, another solid performance.
      Mascherano looked like a rock as usual.

Gerrard was involved in some classy interplay with Aquilani and if he was in better touch could have had a few goals too. A penny for his thoughts but I'd bet he saw the team sheet tonight and that gave him the boost/kick in the butt  that he needed.

jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #130: Mar 16, 2010 02:25:05 am
      Aquilani
      2009–    Liverpool    11    (1)

Lucas
      2007–    Liverpool    69    (1)

kind of self explanatory, just hope Aquilani keeps scoring c:
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #131: Mar 16, 2010 02:31:00 am
      Really impressed with Aquilani today.  He looked so much more confident today, I can't wipe the grin off my face.

I know it was only Pompey but I'll take the huge confidence boost.  Well in lads!
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #132: Mar 16, 2010 02:46:56 am
      The best we've played in all season by a mile.

What a difference it makes when Lucas and Kuyt aren't playing and when we have a couple of extra ball players on the pitch instead. Loved the movement and intelligence of the little prince today!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #133: Mar 16, 2010 03:32:41 am
      Saw the first half, and it was much, much better than our recent performances. I was really sortof impressed, and we did look lively and created chances.
      But I'm not getting confident as it was only Portsmouth, and as it is, we have found it hard to maintain form after winning a match or two.
      Babel seemed a lot better, maybe just 'cos his attitude looked good, but he did screw some chances, didn't he? Think he needs to pass earlier and not take on all defenders on his own.
      Aquilani and Rodriguez looked good.
      And most important, Stevie G  didn't look disinterested. :D

All in all, good win and a nice performance. Should try the same team against Lille.
      But I think he might revert back to his 4-2-3-1 formation with Lucas there against United which, considering it has worked before, might be right.
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #134: Mar 16, 2010 03:36:54 am
      I can't celebrate this match guys. We beat the league's whipped doormat. We are still losing to all mid-table teams (and fulham ;) ). fu**ed up if you ask me. The fact that some are celebrating such a victory shows how our majestic team is in the wrong hands.

I know we played well, but still, no opposition worth "beating".

YNWA
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #135: Mar 16, 2010 04:50:14 am
      I'm sure it has benn pointed out already but it's no coincidence IMO that we were more of a force in attack without the Lucas-Masch partnetship.
      I know it's a never ending debate, and I think both are good players, but in games where we have to take the game to the opposition the formation and personel seen last night must serve as the blue-print.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #136: Mar 16, 2010 05:01:37 am
      I can't celebrate this match guys. We beat the league's whipped doormat. We are still losing to all mid-table teams (and fulham ;) ). F**ked up if you ask me. The fact that some are celebrating such a victory shows how our majestic team is in the wrong hands.

I know we played well, but still, no opposition worth "beating".

YNWA

Are you F***ing serious?
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #137: Mar 16, 2010 05:08:26 am
      The fact that some are celebrating such a victory shows how our majestic team is in the wrong hands

:lmao:
      Gave me a laugh that. :D

Quick Reply