Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Great Article From liverpoolfc.tv

Read 1057 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Great Article From liverpoolfc.tv
      Jun 03, 2007 11:27:34 am
      I have taken the main points as it's quite a long article.

All may be relevant to varying degrees, but to my mind it concerns two bigger concepts. It can all be boiled down to this: time and money, allied to managerial talent.

About money:

And Liverpool's two biggest signings remain Emile Heskey at £11m and Djibril Cissé at £14.2m, both signed by Gérard Houllier.
      Having cost a total of £86.5m, the average transfer fee of Liverpool's 'top 20' squad for 2006/07 was £4.3m per player.
      Because of the young players the Gunners procure on nominal fees, it's easy to forget the bigger fees they've paid. The average cost of their main 20 is £4.8m, half a million pounds more than Liverpool's.
      Compare that with Manchester United's £7.1m per player, and you can see that, on average, United paid approaching twice as much for its main squad, which cost £141.4m in total.This, despite having the most youth academy graduates in their ranks.And this before apparently spending £50m on just three players this summer, which could take their average up to around the £10m mark for 2007/08, if they replace three inexpensive fringe players.
      Of course, if you hadn't already guessed, Chelsea are by far and away the biggest spenders, with its 20 main players costing a staggering combined total of £249.5m average cost of a player is £12.5m).
      So, basically, Benítez, whose record signing remains Xabi Alonso at £10.5m, has yet to even spend within £2m of the Chelsea average. If that doesn't highlight the disparity, nothing will.

About time:

Both Ferguson and Benítez inherited sides that had just finished 4th, with Ferguson doing so way back in 1986. And yet at this exact stage of his United career Ferguson saw a banner unveiled by fans at Old Trafford: "Three years of excuses and it's still sh*t. Ta ra Fergie." Compare that with the witty and supportive banners seen in Greece last week and you can get an idea of how supremely better the Spaniard has done in his first 36 months.
      In 1989 Alex Ferguson had yet to win even a single trophy at United, and rather than improve the situation had actually taken them down to an 11th-place finish (14th in 1990).
      How can Benítez be expected to quickly overtake a man who has spent 21 years shaping his club from the very top to the very bottom, and whose squad cost a lot more per-player to assemble? Or quickly overtake Chelsea, whose manager Jose Mourinho, unprecedentedly, won the title in his first and second seasons, but who also had a totally unprecedented mega-budget?

Spurs and Newcastle have pretensions to be 'big' clubs, and in many ways are just that. Both have a lot of supporters (locally, if not globally), and can boast significant achievements in their history, albeit dating back a few years now. And both have spent a fair amount of money over the years.
      This is how many league points each 'big club' got for every million pounds spent on its 20 main players.

Liverpool............... ......0.78
      Spurs................... ..........0.75
      Arsenal ........................ 0.71
      Man United.................0 .63
      Newcastle............... .....0.56
      Chelsea................. ........0.33

Of course, the higher up the table you go the more you have to pay for just a few extra points.

Regarding the 4 main teams (Manu, Chavsky, Gunners), Benítez stands 4th in terms of squad cost, and 4th in terms of time spent at his club. That doesn't make getting to 1st an easy proposition.

So Benítez has been battling time and money. And he will continue to do so, albeit to a lessening degree the longer he spends in the job, and more money is paid out. When signing players he will need to continue to get the most points for every million pounds spent. And if he continues to do just that, following a new round of investment in the team, he stands a great chance of significant success.
      And, with all this in mind, if he does land the title it will be up there with the biggest achievements imaginable.
      Such have been his monumental achievements at Valencia and Liverpool with relatively small budgets, you can't help but think that, within a couple of years, and with the funds to spend on the right players, he'll have ended our long wait for a 19th title.

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE

Brilliant article, says pretty much everything I would've wanted to say. It's amazing when you read stats like this that there are some sections of our supporters questioning whether Rafa's the right man for the job. People need to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, unless you have bottomless pockets like Chelsea you're not going to achieve success overnight. Now we'll be closer financially (to Utd at least) we should be able to mount more of a challenge, yet still if we don't win the league next year there will be people calling for Rafa's head. Give Mr Benitez time, and he will win us the league. Act hastily and we'll be back to square one again.

Interesting to see how many points Spurs have picked up for the money they've spent, personally I'd rate Martin Jol as one of the best managers in the league. If anyone's going to start knocking on the door of the top four it's sure to be them.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Great Article From liverpoolfc.tv
      Reply #1: Jun 03, 2007 11:43:56 am
      Enjoyed reading that Eddie, the section from lfc.tv and your little bit.

I think Benitez will always have his doubters, I think he may have had a few at Valencia. But the La Liga is a completely different breed of teams.

Rafa will get us where we want to be, and what ever he does with the £40 million that he has, he will make the right decision for the club & the fans.

We are ever getting stronger, it's not like we get hammered by the likes of Man Utd. We are just missing the striker that sticks it in once or twice a game.

Come on you Reds, lets go for the title that is rightfully ours.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #2: Jun 03, 2007 11:49:47 am
      Did Rafa ghost-write that article? Interesting reading.

Proves that money does buy you titles. Why do we always spend so much money on strikers that flop?

Good post Eddie. The fact still remains, as the author was pointing out, that he does need the money to compete at the top end of the market.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 03, 2007 01:05:50 pm
      I read this today, we really do need to push the boat out and start signing world class players, to have our top spend still being 14m on cisse is shocking, although i would never agree with spending 18m on carrick and 17m on hargreaves hardly world class players.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Jun 03, 2007 03:07:40 pm
      I read this today, we really do need to push the boat out and start signing world class players, to have our top spend still being 14m on cisse is shocking, although I would never agree with spending 18m on carrick and 17m on hargreaves hardly world class players.

While i agree we need to spend big it has to be the right player just look at Shevchenko at Chelsea
      £30mil for him and hes flopped but there is no doubt he is a world class player just not the right player for Chelsea Rafa doesnt want to go down the same road.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Jun 03, 2007 06:35:19 pm
      Brilliant article that Eddie! Doesn't half make you think doesn't it? I agree, a few bob more should be spent on players, but I also agree with Kelv: it has to be the right player! And who better to pick the right player than Rafa?  :D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,352 posts | 1534 
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2007 12:34:11 am
      There is always the chance that players from other leagues won't perform inthe Prem, that's the chance you take. 30m for Eto, if he couldn't hack it in the Prem, (I personally think he would) he would still be worth 25m in La liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Etc. Nothing ventured nothing gained ! Not a massive loss compared to some players we've bought in over the last three or four years. Get the money on the table before it's too late.

Quick Reply