Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Steve Nicol calls for "drastic change" at Anfield

Read 7108 times
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 291 posts | 29 
      Steve Nicol calls for "drastic change" at Anfield
      Mar 21, 2010 06:36:20 pm
      Interesting comments by Liverpool legend Steve Nicol today, before events at Old Trafford.

When Steve Nicol says he is "trying not to be too gloomy", it has nothing to do with the threatened player strike casting a cloud over the new MLS season in the United States. Instead the New England Revolution coach is reflecting on the fortunes of his former club, Liverpool.

The ex-Scotland defender was a member of the team that won the last of their 18 League titles in 1990. Two decades on, he is the longest-serving coach in the MLS, entering his ninth season with the Revolution, whom he has led to four runners-up spots.

Yet Anfield retains a special place in his heart and Nicol pulled no punches. Something "drastic" was required to restore the pre-eminence of a club described by Albert Riera ss a "sinking ship".

"I am a coach so I wouldn't call for someone to be sacked," says Nicol. "But something drastic has to change because the team is going nowhere and ultimately someone is responsible for that. They need players and they need investment."

Liverpool fans direct their ire at the club's American owners but Nicol believes manager Rafael Benitez should not be above blame. "They've spent over £200m so you can't say they've not had money to buy players. If you don't get the right players, you're not going to win games, and you have to say they haven't got the right players as a unit."

The result is a Liverpool side in which two individuals, Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, bear too great a burden. "You watch Torres and Gerrard, they look as though they're carrying the whole stadium on their back. Every time they touch the ball they are under so much pressure to do something. You have big European nights where Gerrard and Torres are winning the games but it is not possible to carry that burden every single time you step on that field."

Nicol, who spent 14 years at Anfield, is also dismayed by Benitez's cautious tactics. "When teams used to come to Anfield they were scared before they started because they knew we were coming after them but now they play against one up front."

A lack of mental strength is a failing too. "If you have mental toughness then on days when you go to Hull, the pitch is bobbly, the wind howling, you end up with something. It's as much about that as silky soccer."

Still, the 1989 Footballer of the Year wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool won today. From 1983-84 to 1987-88, they won just one of 14 meetings, yet picked up three League titles and a European Cup. Today Liverpool can record a fourth straight victory over United but it's United who are chasing the domestic and European crowns. "Liverpool can go to United and win but the roles are reversed now. When we were winning the League, United always raised their game when they played us. Now it's the other way round."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/drastic-change-needed-to-save-reds-says-nicol-1924702.html
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010 06:41:09 pm by JD »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Steve Nicol calls for "drastic change" at Anfield
      Reply #1: Mar 21, 2010 06:40:29 pm
      So basically, all he said was:

"I am a coach so I wouldn't call for someone to be sacked," says Nicol. "But something drastic has to change because the team is going nowhere and ultimately someone is responsible for that. They need players and they need investment."

Talk about state the obvious. Tell us something we don't know.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #2: Mar 21, 2010 06:43:48 pm
      Too right something drastic has to happen.

The owners need to top themselves.

CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #3: Mar 21, 2010 06:44:57 pm
      Useless article!!!
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #4: Mar 21, 2010 06:46:13 pm
      What a Load of crap
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #5: Mar 21, 2010 07:40:01 pm
      well said Stevie
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #6: Mar 21, 2010 07:52:03 pm
      One trophy in 9 years in the MLS.

Maybe we should get him in to manage us.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #7: Mar 21, 2010 08:48:13 pm
      Doesn't take a genius to say we need drastic changes does it ? it's something that's been the subject of debate by the faithful on this forum ,the drastic changes start with the two cowboys in charge
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #8: Mar 21, 2010 08:50:50 pm
      Drastic change = Get rid of the owners, get rid of Rafa, get a decent buyer with tons of money, sign Messi and Aguero, get rid of Insua.

And we all know that none of that is going to happen :)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #9: Mar 21, 2010 08:51:12 pm
      We could get him with Ronnie Whelan as his assistant :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Mar 21, 2010 10:13:55 pm
      We could get him with Ronnie Whelan as his assistant :)

Stan Collymore for youth development :)
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #11: Mar 21, 2010 10:16:12 pm
      Could we do any worse ??

Who would you like? Rafa made some bad buys and named some equally bad selections this season.

Quite surprised King Kenny not been involved in the background.
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010 11:54:50 pm by Reslivo »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Mar 21, 2010 11:51:01 pm
      Lets not start slaging off a legend for saying basically fook all
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #13: Mar 22, 2010 12:00:13 am
      Lets not start slaging off a legend for saying basically fook all
      True.  I apologise for my exceptionally tongue in cheek comment earlier.

Nicol was the fans player of the season the year I had my first ever season ticket.

And you're right - basically he did say nothing at all.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      Reply #14: Mar 22, 2010 12:03:40 am
      True.  I apologise for my exceptionally tongue in cheek comment earlier.

Nicol was the fans player of the season the year I had my first ever season ticket.

And you're right - basically he did say nothing at all.

Your reply was actually the best mate something along the lines of the owners topping themselves
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #15: Mar 22, 2010 12:12:07 am
      Another boring ex-player calling for changes,I suppose for a fee from a tabloid.I'd rather go and wax my arse than read his comments.Like always sh*te comes to the surface first because of it's low mass(weight).
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      Reply #16: Mar 22, 2010 12:14:20 am
      Another boring ex-player calling for changes,I suppose for a fee from a tabloid.I'd rather go and wax my arse than read his comments.Like always sh*te comes to the surface first because of it's low mass(weight).

Go on then whats he said so wrong? Has he said sack Rafa?

The day men like Steve Nicol cant pass a remark about there club without being disrespected isa fooking sad day indeed. If Torres for example said anything its all "ooh Nando said it I love it" Yet a man who done great things for us be it a few years back says a fw words, not too much wrong either, hes abused and slagged. Seriously cant say boo without some here getting the hump 
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2010 12:20:17 am by Brian78 »
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #17: Mar 22, 2010 12:40:33 am
      Go on then whats he said so wrong? Has he said sack Rafa?

The day men like Steve Nicol cant pass a remark about there club without being disrespected isa fooking sad day indeed. If Torres for example said anything its all "ooh Nando said it I love it" Yet a man who done great things for us be it a few years back says a fw words, not too much wrong either, hes abused and slagged. Seriously cant say boo without some here getting the hump 
      Who the f*ck is Steve Nicol,good player,Yes,Legend no,manager of repute,no,qualified in Europe,no,what gives him the right to criticise Rafa,nothing more than any of us,and we true fans reserve our comments until the end of the season.So f*ck his comments,he's Irish ffs,he should understand loyalty more than most.Miche Eirre.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #18: Mar 22, 2010 03:01:17 am
      Is this the press taking the piss though, Steve Nicol was asked a question and answered it, how much of the answer was included only the reporter would know. It happened to Robbie Fowler last week, he was asked about Rafa and only a tiny bit of the quote was used to make it sound like he was slagging Rafa off, when in fact his full answer was in praise of the man, but that didn't suit the newspaper's agenda.

Maybe the same thing has happened here!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Mar 22, 2010 03:11:16 am
      He's right.

In a ruthless kind of way.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #20: Mar 22, 2010 03:35:13 am
      Stan Collymore for youth development :)
      Jamie Redknapp as a Club Ambassador
      sentinel
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #21: Mar 22, 2010 05:30:57 am
      Why is it always when some1 (fan or ex-player/mgr) gave there view & if its not to the liking of some here, they are abused!
      If these ex-players do not have LFC in their heart, they can always answer with a simple "No comment". 

And to those that doesn't respect these ex-players doesn't deserve any respect from LFC! Atleast these people (ex-players) have played under the LFC shirt b4! What have you abusers contribute to LFC?

Its really sad to see that we can't even accept constructive criticism. So i guess in future if nando become an ex-LFC player & give his view which are not to the liking, we are going to abuse him too.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Mar 22, 2010 06:59:26 am
      Is this the press taking the piss though, Steve Nicol was asked a question and answered it, how much of the answer was included only the reporter would know. It happened to Robbie Fowler last week, he was asked about Rafa and only a tiny bit of the quote was used to make it sound like he was slagging Rafa off, when in fact his full answer was in praise of the man, but that didn't suit the newspaper's agenda.

Maybe the same thing has happened here!
      So true, the press will manipulate anything an ex player says to suit their purpose.A perfect example was Robbie Fowler as you have pointed out.

Quick Reply