Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Our Woeful Away form 2009/2010

Read 3694 times
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger
      • Started Topic

• 198 posts | -8 
      Our Woeful Away form 2009/2010
      Mar 24, 2010 06:51:46 pm
      Why have our away form been so poor? 8 loss in the league, 2 in Europe, 1 in league cup. Suprising stats as we were so brilliant away from home last year.

Is it due to our tedency to not attack until we are a goal down?
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010 06:56:54 pm by Tasonga »
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: Our Woeful Away form 2009/2010
      Reply #1: Mar 25, 2010 01:53:47 am
      xabi for me
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2: Mar 25, 2010 02:09:15 am
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #3: Mar 25, 2010 02:10:51 am
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #4: Mar 25, 2010 04:57:45 am
      Alons....nah its due to Rafa not believing in his squad to be an attacking team away from anfield. If u select on on defensive strategy and show no faith in your players to create and push back the opposition then its not ahuge surprise if u don't score afew goals and scare teams.
      You reap what u sow. I like rafa but he has lost faith in his players to be creative, free and attacking away from home
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Mar 25, 2010 06:26:23 am
      Is it due to our tedency to not attack until we are a goal down?
      I personally think that's a large part of it, yeah. Teams aren't scared of us anymore so feel free to come at us.
      When we're at Anfield, a lot of teams aim for a draw and if they manage to sneak a goal, all the better. This means that we tend to see more of the ball and can keep at them.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Mar 25, 2010 09:43:58 am
      Its because of our midfield simple.

Go look at the match reports/statistics of the games we have lost/drawn.

You will find in the vast majority of them for all we have the lions share of possession and territorial advantage yet we create very few attempts on goal, which is often a lot less then the teams we are losing games too.

Our midfield lacks creativity and the ability to carve teams open.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #7: Mar 25, 2010 10:06:26 am
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 25, 2010 12:04:57 pm
      It needs a team all pulling in the same direction and fighting for each other , haven't seen that from us all season thats why our away record has been woefull this season , look at the blueshite last night when was the last time you seen Liverpool all as one like that , many problems behind the scenes at this club .
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 25, 2010 12:07:11 pm
      Not enough quality to bring on from the bench!
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #10: Mar 25, 2010 01:53:55 pm
      I personally think that's a large part of it, yeah. Teams aren't scared of us anymore so feel free to come at us.
      When we're at Anfield, a lot of teams aim for a draw and if they manage to sneak a goal, all the better. This means that we tend to see more of the ball and can keep at them.

And to be honest its frustrating to watch, but that is what they are planning to do, we lack a good quality passer in the team, if teams sit back and defend we need to cut them open with precision passes or quick give and go passes, the kind of play we played against Pompey, however we have been playing like a team of strangers recently and as for the lack of imagination in out Midfield its sickening.

Carra -> Lucas -> Masch -> Lucas -> Carra who has no choice but to launch it long. Against teams like Stoke we dont have a chance in the air.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Mar 25, 2010 02:13:04 pm
      We've been very unlucky in some of our away defeats this season and haven't gotten what we've deserved!!
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 25, 2010 04:22:29 pm
      I think it's mainly, to do with our formation, Lucas and Mascherano both sit deep which invites teams to attack us. I am not blaming this pair, as they have in my mind been two of our better players this season. This is not of course the sole reason, and our lack of creativity in games such as Wolves, Man City, Wigan where we barely mustered a shot on goal was embarasing.
      Finally we got into the habit of giving stupid goals away from set pieces, which set in motion a lack of confidence at the back. This has largely been sorted out, although we still look vulnerable at corners and free kicks
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #13: Mar 26, 2010 01:10:06 am
      We've been very unlucky in some of our away defeats this season and haven't gotten what we've deserved!!
      We've been rubbish all season, home and away. If we lost a game then we definitely deserved to lose it. The only games I can remember us actually playing good is utd and Portsmouth home. Those are the only games in which we've played like we wanted to win. Come to think of it I'm surprised we've got as many points as we have the way we've performed.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #14: Mar 26, 2010 03:18:27 am
      We've been rubbish all season, home and away. If we lost a game then we definitely deserved to lose it. The only games I can remember us actually playing good is utd and Portsmouth home. Those are the only games in which we've played like we wanted to win. Come to think of it I'm surprised we've got as many points as we have the way we've performed.

Well aren't you a little ball of vinegar. If I ever get some chips I'll just pick you up and shake you up and down and then Im only some salt away from a good meal.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #15: Mar 26, 2010 04:19:15 am
      Well aren't you a little ball of vinegar. If I ever get some chips I'll just pick you up and shake you up and down and then Im only some salt away from a good meal.
      Not really sure what any of that meant, but if your trying to say I'm pessimistic I'm not, I'm just saying what I see in front of me. Last year we may have had excuses for some of the games we drew or lost but If people seriously think that we deserved to win any of the games we've drawn or lost this year then they are deluded.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Mar 26, 2010 09:13:10 am
      We don't test the opposition goal enough, IMO.

I think most of the games we've lost, we had deserved it.
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 28, 2010 07:53:19 am
      I think the tendency of us defending and not attacking and only looking to counter is the main problem here
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #18: Mar 28, 2010 10:04:58 am
      There is no need to play two defensive midfielders for the majority of away league games and therefore yes, even though we have most of the possession (but dont create enough from it) the home team nicks a goal lead and then we panic.

This factor along with some bad luck, injury to our main and at times only scoring threat Nando and theres no wonder we've been so rubbish.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 28, 2010 10:15:47 am
      This seasons losses away from home are.
      Spurs        2-1
      Chelsea      2-0
      Sunderland 1-0
      Fulham       3-1
      Portsmouth  2-0
      Arsenal       1-0
      Wigan         1-0
      Man Utd      2-1

3 Goals scored in those 8 defeats and 14 conceded. Seems to me not enough creativity and leaking goals too easy. It has to be the protection from the midfield with no creativity. Alonso gives you both of those.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Mar 28, 2010 12:05:03 pm
      Spurs        2-1
      Chelsea      2-0
      Sunderland 1-0
      Fulham       3-1
      Portsmouth  2-0
      Arsenal       1-0
      Wigan         1-0
      Man Utd      2-1

3 Goals scored in those 8 defeats and 14 conceded. Seems to me not enough creativity and leaking goals too easy. It has to be the protection from the midfield with no creativity. Alonso gives you both of those.

Go look at the match reports on all them games, you will see that in most we had the lions share of possession and territorial advantage, but done nothing creative with the ball in setting up clear cut attempts at goal, yet the opposition for all their lack of Possession created more chances than us and ended up with more attempts on goal and rightfully won the game.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #21: Mar 28, 2010 01:21:41 pm
      Spurs        2-1
      Chelsea      2-0
      Sunderland 1-0
      Fulham       3-1
      Portsmouth  2-0
      Arsenal       1-0
      Wigan         1-0
      Man Utd      2-1

Tottenham - we had 9 Shots spurs had 20 & had more possession - every outfield player on the pitch was awfu that day.

Chelsea - Both teams had 17 shots, but 2 errors cost us the game, Mascherano leaving Lucas with 2 runners & Kuyt's error led directly to the goals.

Sunderland - We had 19 they had 15, goal should never have stood, but we would have been lucky to get a point.  Another awful performance by the ENTIRE team.

Fulham - We had only 10 shots compared to 13 for Fulham. Degen's sending off was harsh and we starting to get into the game when he went off, even though we were 2-1 down.  Carragher deserved to go and then we were lucky to keep it to 3.

Portsmouth - Us 9, Them 15 - in one word -  daibolical, worst performance I remember in ercent times.

Arsenal - Us 10, them 11 - not a game of chances and to be fair this game could have gone either way.

Wigan - Both 13, don't remember much about this game to be honest

Man United - Us 5, them 12 - to be honest though, the only real difference were Rooney & Park Ji Sung, who showed that movement from forward players, when no one else is playing well, can win you games.

Don't remember controlling any of those games - apart from the 10-15 minutes before Degen was sent off at Fulham.  We've been awful away from home, even in games we've gotten points from & are on course for our worst goals scored away from home since the Premiership began.  Need 5 from 3 games to make this the equal worst.

It's a complete dichotomy to our home form, in which we are on course for our 2nd best Premiership points haul and 9 goals in 4 games will equal our best goals scored record, 7 or 6 goals will mean 2nd or 3rd best respectively and we 10 goals & 2 points better off than last season, where 8 points out of the last 12 will mean we've been better at home this season than last.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,656 posts | 3890 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Away From Home Form. WTF
      Reply #22: Mar 31, 2010 12:12:40 pm
      With our home record as good now as it was last year, we seem to have come undone away from Anfield.
      BBB discuss

Liverpool

Away Form: WWLLLWDLWDDLDLL.
      3 places above Birmingham in League (League Position 6).
      Liverpool haven’t won in last 6 away games.
      Liverpool have Lost 50% of away games this season.
      Liverpool score an of average 0.81 goals per away game.
      « Last Edit: Mar 31, 2010 12:22:11 pm by racerx34 »

Quick Reply