Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool FC Vs. Club Atlético de Madrid - Pre match thread

Read 19333 times
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Re: Liverpool FC Vs. Club Atlético de Madrid - Thursday 29th April; 20:05pm
      Reply #161: Apr 29, 2010 08:49:12 am
      Up and ready for this one come on redmen onwards to germany it is YNWA !!!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #162: Apr 29, 2010 09:25:08 am
      We've won so many of these in such memorable fashion. I'm sure we'll see a highly energized start to the match- similar to Madrid-away last season.

Come on REDMEN. Make us Proud.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #163: Apr 29, 2010 09:58:04 am
      We can do this :D

Come on!!!!! ;D

3-1 to us I reckon.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #164: Apr 29, 2010 10:25:24 am
      If Kuyt is fit it has to be him up top.

Please Rafa not Ngog.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #165: Apr 29, 2010 10:29:18 am
      F***ing pumped for this one, wish I was coming to the Cabbage for this one then we all walked Reservoir Dog Style down to the ground.  ;D

5am kick off for this one, not gonna be able to sleep.

The only thing worrying me at the moment is the fact that already we've seen 2 teams in the Champions League semis have the apparent avantage of Home ground for the 2nd leg and both of them haven't got the job done. Time for us to break that trend. It is a different competition after all.

Come on you Redmen do us F***ing proud. Can't wait to hear Anfield in full voice. Gonna be a special European night.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #166: Apr 29, 2010 10:30:06 am
      I can not wait for this.

Come tomorrow morning I wan to be whistling to "they say our days were numbered, were not famous anymore......."

Appalled at the lack of interest in this pre match thread, hoping the atmosphere is not as subdued at Anfield for F**k sake this is a European Semi Final!!!
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #167: Apr 29, 2010 10:41:28 am
      Leaving now !! Buzzing in fine  voice and ready to blow Atletico off the park come on redmen !!!! YNWA
      Sweeney The Red
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 170 posts |
      Reply #168: Apr 29, 2010 10:49:48 am
      I can not wait for this.

Come tomorrow morning I wan to be whistling to "they say our days were numbered, were not famous anymore......."

Appalled at the lack of interest in this pre match thread, hoping the atmosphere is not as subdued at Anfield for f**k sake this is a European Semi Final!!!

A F***ing men
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #169: Apr 29, 2010 10:52:40 am
      Fellow reds.. tonight is the night.

Many people are worried about the opposing teams talent and our increasing amount of injuries. They say "yeah but we are 1-0 down aswell"  but if anyone should have the title of comeback kings it is us.

Cast your minds back to 2004 against Olympiakos where we came back in dramatic fashion when Stevie's belter sent the kop rocking! Or back to the FA Cup final against West Ham when everybody had written us off and once again our captain fantastic dragged us through, and as if that wasn't enough inspiration, think of how we felt at half time at the Attaturk and then how we felt once that first header went in.

I believe our captain will once again drive us through our opponent, with the help of our 12th man, we will make Atletico feel the same wrath as their city rivals got last year, and send them back to Madrid with their tails between their legs wondering what hit them. What hit them was a big red machine on its way to Hamburg! Come on boys lets make history again!!!!!! Come on!!!  

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #170: Apr 29, 2010 11:10:51 am
      Listened to these on the ipod into work
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE543bSXVJU
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqWP1rsAMrw

Couldn't be more up for this now if Scarlett Johnsson herself fluffed me before kick off
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #171: Apr 29, 2010 11:31:38 am
      This is it, tonight we become the greatest ever

3-1 10/1 at the bookies!
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #172: Apr 29, 2010 01:06:00 pm
      Still wondering whether to get a few drinks before the game or hit the gym, have a shower and watch the match in fresh mind.  Very late night kickoff, please reds lets get the win.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #173: Apr 29, 2010 01:06:58 pm
      It's easy to see that AM pushes very high up the field, that's what we want. Our passing needs to be 10 times sharper to beat their defenders. And one more thing what I demand to see happen is that every player except Pepe must take a shot at goal, no excuse for not doing that. We have given AM goalkeeper a holiday the last game, he was just knitting the whole game, he needs to work overtime this time round. Hopefully these cheating bas**rds won't start rolling all over the pitch, particularly reyes. Man of his size keeps dropping to the floor is truly embarassing. Babel needs to play very far up the field, that may push AM a bit further back and to reduce the threat. He needs to get very near to the last defender and when he gets a perfect pass, just juggernaut pass them and don't dilly dally trying to waltz pass the defender, he's no Messi yet at the moment. I'm confident we'll get the right results. get an early goal and AM will start to panic. I'm predicting a 4-1 in our favor.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #174: Apr 29, 2010 01:12:17 pm
      Bloody hell, can't wait for tonight, I'm so excited and thrilled to be going to Anfield tonight.

Just keep it nice and tight at the back, protect Pepe, spread that ball about in the midfield and none of those silly little sideways passes that end up going nowhere, use the full width of the pitch and have a go if you get the chance, pepper the keeper with shots and just go for it lads.

MAKE US PROUD  :)

I just hope everyone gives their all, players, staff and fans alike, this is a new dawn for Liverpool, this is the comeback, and the last chance to rescue our season.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #175: Apr 29, 2010 01:28:15 pm
      Can't wait to get there, the atmosphere tonight is going to be boss!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #176: Apr 29, 2010 01:33:23 pm
      We need to play aggressive football tonight and not give them an inch of space, that'll do to ruffle up their feathers early and score a few goals in the first half.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #177: Apr 29, 2010 02:06:07 pm
      Hopefully we do what we done to Benfica. Dont just win, make a point and do it in style!

Anyone have any preferences as to who they would prefer in the final?

Il'd love to see an all english final, reckon we could win against Fulham, where as Hamburg would litterally have a home advantage
      AmericanRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #178: Apr 29, 2010 02:20:17 pm
      The media are doing us no favours (English spelling!) prior tothe game. tThey are running with speculation cncerning Rafa's future. Concentrate on the game!!!

Rafa and the team will be concentrating on the game.

I remember our first twenty mins against Juve at anfield we absolutely rammed them and they didnot know what had hit them...IF we can reproduce that then we will be comfortable.

A furious and passionate start full of attacking intent is just what the doc (Rafa) will order. I get thefeeling this Madrid team has a soft under belly away from home...let us exploit it.

Key men will be our attacking players:

Gerrard; rediscovering his goal scoring touch...will get at least one

Aquilani; Needs to shoot on sight tonight and run at their back line. I have a feeling  he will score...just a feeling :)

Babel; a lot of pressure on the rookie but his performance against  Madrid last term was exceptional. I'd like to see him drive at defenders, especially in and near the penalty zone

Johnson; he has an incredible shot and his delivery is good too. We need him to provide the width and act as an outlet.

I hope we can get a penalty kick or two. We have a  home crowd behind us and I feel we have not been getting enough penalties (and free kicks around the penaltyzone) of late.

I also hope the officials saw the Inter Milan tactics lastnight; time wasting and tactics fouls need to be cracked down on. Officials should not be reluctant to dish out yellow cards tonight for these tactics. I suspect Mdrid will employ this gamesmanship.

I am going for 3-0 to us.  
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #179: Apr 29, 2010 02:21:01 pm
      Am I the only one itching for this match. Literally counting down the hours. Less than seven to go.
      I really hope we tear them a new one tonight. Flatten Reyes properly too Masch thanks very much. First minute in ball and player tackle. End of the games.

COME ON!!!
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,281 posts | 803 
      Reply #180: Apr 29, 2010 02:21:47 pm
      Dont car who we play to be honest mate, we can beat them both easily if we play like we can play!

I wouldnt mind it being fulham! This time they'll have to actually try and play football instead of parking the bus in front of us like the game at anfield a few weeks back!

And if they try and play football i reckon we'll spank them!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #181: Apr 29, 2010 02:23:30 pm
      Source: ssn
      Liverpool play host to Atletico Madrid in the second leg of their Europa League semi-final aiming to salvage their season with a place in the final.

The Reds go into the game needing to overturn a first leg deficit for the third time on the spin after wins over Lille and Benfica in the previous two rounds.

Diego Forlan's goal in the Spanish capital last week leaves Atletico well-placed to reach next month's final in Madrid.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is sweating over the fitness of strike duo Dirk Kuyt and David Ngog before finalising his side.

With Fernando Torres already sidelined with a knee problem Liverpool are short of options in attack.

Ngog is struggling with a hamstring injury as a result of a back problem sustained in the first leg defeat.

Maxi out

Kuyt also faces a late fitness test after being forced off during last weekend's win over Burnley with a calf problem.

If Kuyt and Ngog miss out Ryan Babel is likely to be pushed forward into a central striking role.

Maxi Rodriguez is ineligible to face his old club after playing for Atletico in Europe earlier this season.

Alberto Aquilani is pushing for a spot in the starting line-up after impressing against Burnley, but he is likely to start on the bench.

Injured quartert Martin Kelly, Martin Sktrel, Emiliano Insua and Fabio Aurelio remain sidelined for the home side.

Atletico are boosted by the return of star striker Sergio Aguero after he missed the first leg through suspension.

Aguero is set to partner Forlan in attack with former Arsenal man Jose Antonio Reyes and Simao Sabrosa playing on the wings

Ryan Babel believes he has learnt from the mistakes that almost led to him leaving Liverpool earlier in the season.

The Dutchman appeared set to be sold in the winter transfer window following inconsistent form and a Twitter outburst, which left boss Rafa Benitez unimpressed.

But Liverpool, who are preparing for Thursday's Europa League semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid, resisted the temptation to sell as Birmingham's £9million bid was rejected.

Babel has since shown signs of the form that persuaded Benitez to pay £11million to Ajax in 2007 and he could play a pivotal role when the Reds attempt to overturn a 1-0 aggregate deficit against Atletico at Anfield.

"I have made some mistakes during the season so I have learned a lot from this season and I will take that with me into the future," said the 23-year-old.

"I think the turning point was that I could focus on the football and not rumours and different sayings of people and the media.

Influence

"For every young player it is difficult to focus 100 per cent when you know you are the subject of something that can influence your game.

"During that period people were telling me negative and positive things and that made me think about different things and you cannot concentrate on football.

"When you read in one paper that Liverpool want to get rid of you - even though you know it is not true - it is those little things which confuse you.

"I was not close (to leaving) but it was one of those things that did not make me concentrate 100 per cent."

A major factor in Babel's improvement was a clear-the-air talk with his agent and Benitez.

Of the conversation, he added: "It is a situation where both sides have to work with each other.

"It has given me confidence recently and I'm now trying to give something back. Liverpool have confidence in me and I have confidence in Liverpool."

Looking forward to the payback Ryan

lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #182: Apr 29, 2010 02:31:10 pm
      how many subs can u have in europe because I reckon 2nite we would struggle to get 7. Diego pacheco el zhar ayala plessis riera?? Degen
      AmericanRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #183: Apr 29, 2010 02:33:59 pm
      how many subs can u have in europe because I reckon 2nite we would struggle to get 7. Diego pacheco el zhar ayala plessis riera?? Degen

Riera?
      I thought he was playing in Russia or Ukraine???

Have I missed something?
      Thanks

Quick Reply