Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

'Why I'm missing Chelsea game' - LFC Chairman Martin Broughton

Read 5831 times
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      'Why I'm missing Chelsea game' - LFC Chairman Martin Broughton
      May 01, 2010 11:20:17 am
      Chairman Martin Broughton today praised the Liverpool supporters after the Reds saw their hopes of Europa League glory dashed by Atletico Madrid - and then explained why he won't be at Anfield on Sunday for the clash with Chelsea.

The British Airways chief, who was appointed Liverpool Chairman earlier this month, was at Anfield on Thursday night to see Rafael Benitez's men go out of the competition on away goals after Diego Forlan's extra time strike.

The home fans were on course to celebrate another memorable European night after goals from Alberto Aquilani and Yossi Benayoun, but although those dreams were ended in such heartbreaking fashion Broughton insists the supporters packed into Anfield deserve the highest praise.

"It would have been a fantastic reward for the fans to have a final to look forward to," he said. "It doesn't matter who you support, everyone knows about Liverpool fans on European nights and about the great atmosphere they create.

"I'm just so disappointed for everybody at the club that we didn't quite make it to Hamburg."

While Broughton was at Anfield alongside Managing Director Christian Purslow on Thursday, one fixture he won't be attending is this weekend's Barclays Premier League clash with Chelsea.

With Liverpool needing three points to keep their Champions League dreams alive and with Chelsea requiring two wins to secure the title, Broughton - a self-confessed lifelong Chelsea fan - admits it wouldn't be appropriate for him to take his place in the Directors Box on Sunday.

"Any true fan who has supported a club for 55 years - like I have - can't be expected to suddenly move against them overnight," he added.

"When you have followed a team for as long as I have then it's in the blood. It's a very emotional thing and all fans who have supported Liverpool for a long time will know what I mean.

"I can't come to the match on Sunday and show any of that emotion because that would be very disrespectful to the Liverpool faithful. Liverpool have terrific fans and I wouldn't want to do that, so the only sensible thing is for me to stay at home and watch it on the television.

"I suppose the perfect scenario would be for Liverpool to win this weekend and go on to secure Champions League qualification and then for Chelsea to go on and win the title. That would be great if it were to happen."

Since being appointed Liverpool Chairman, Broughton has been inundated with emails from Reds fans - both expressing support ahead of the task of finding new investment and also asking question after question about what the future may hold for Liverpool Football Club.

"As soon I was named Liverpool Chairman, Liverpool fans were getting in touch and were naturally asking a lot of questions," he told the official website.

"It's perfectly understandable that they want to know about the future of their club, how much money we have to spend, who the new owners are going to be and are they going to build the new stadium. I'm not at all surprised by the level of interest and I aim to be as open as I possibly can and keep supporters informed of what's happening at their club."

I suppose that's fair enough. What does everyone think?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: 'Why I'm missing Chelsea game' - LFC Chairman Martin Broughton
      Reply #1: May 01, 2010 11:25:18 am
      He'll be there  ;)

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: May 01, 2010 11:25:36 am
      He's a football fan so he understands the fans mentality.  Fair play to him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: May 01, 2010 11:29:13 am
      He is obviously in a tough situation because like he said, people can't expect him to go against them straight away, actually i wouldn't expect him to ever go against them ever. He seems to be a well mannered person and Liverpool fans should respect that part of him.

He wants exactly the same as we do ....

"I suppose the perfect scenario would be for Liverpool to win this weekend and go on to secure Champions League qualification and then for Chelsea to go on and win the title. That would be great if it were to happen."
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: May 01, 2010 11:32:28 am

I think he's a c**t.  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: May 01, 2010 11:33:11 am
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: May 01, 2010 11:36:44 am
      I guess it's understandable.

Just because he's the chairman of LFC doesn't mean he has to switch sides. He's been a Chelsea fan for more than 5 decades. And just because he's a Chelsea fan, doesn't mean we have to dislike him. At least, he's giving us a reason beforehand.

Like he said, it would be nice if we do secure the 4th Champions League qualifying spot and Chelsea still wins the title. Ideal end for me, too.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: May 01, 2010 11:36:51 am
      Fair do's I think. That's probably what I would do in his position.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #8: May 01, 2010 11:43:31 am
      He is in a no win situation,so he has done the right thing by looking for a prevention rather than a cure.
      Fair play.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: May 01, 2010 11:48:56 am

I don't really think Martin Broughton is a c**t mcarz; I think he's brilliant and i'm sure Rafa will too - if Broughton ever lowers himself to meet him, that is.  ;D

predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #10: May 01, 2010 12:18:50 pm
      Seems like a nice chap as fair as I can tell!
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #11: May 01, 2010 12:34:12 pm
      Wish he wouldn't have gone on and on about why he is a Chelsea fan, he should have just said "I am a Chelsea fan and me being there might get the wrong implications toward Liverpool fans."
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: May 01, 2010 12:34:33 pm
      I respect his honesty. I know if I became chairman of Chelsea Id still hope Liverpool smash them so no point in saying hes a c**t or whatever
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #13: May 01, 2010 12:35:50 pm
      I agree with everyone's sentiments. It just proves he's a football fan first and foremost. Liverpool will have his heart over time.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #14: May 01, 2010 12:52:52 pm
      Fair play to the guy. As fans we stand head and shoulders above all others when it comes to respecting a person supporting their club. Lets support him in finding a future for the Reds
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #15: May 01, 2010 12:55:15 pm
      Makes sense.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,258 posts | 8581 
      Reply #16: May 01, 2010 01:30:12 pm
      Does he actually have any power to make any decisions, or as pointed out by one or two other posters in other threads, is he just a face for H&G, his only job being the decision-maker on who we sell to and so the two beauts can make the club more saleable.

I'm sure the words in the press statement announcing his appointment were non-executive!!

Who's arsed if he misses the game or not - I wish people would get this sh*t of Chelsea being our rivals out of their heads, in terms of history, success and titles, Man U are our F***ing rivals.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #17: May 01, 2010 01:31:52 pm
      Couldn't give a sh*t whether he goes to be honest. Doesn't change a thing IMO. If we wants to cheer if Chelsea score he can. It's not like his job depends on him becoming a Liverpool fan overnight.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: May 01, 2010 02:26:51 pm
      "I'm just so disappointed for everybody at the club that we didn't quite make it to Hamburg."

He speaks in third party about us  ......"for everybody at the club"

Then he says "that WE didnt make it to Hamburg"

Nah.
      The real reason is we have turned him and he wont admit hes a Red and not a blue now!

;)
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #19: May 01, 2010 02:45:30 pm
      Like evryone else in life, "money" is his main need/want/desire.

A passionate 50 year+ Chelsea man, and it means F**k all when it comes to an opportunity to fill the mattress up with a few more millions.

here is a question to ponder

If you are offered a few million pounds, on the condition that you had to agree to not following Liverpool for a year or two, would you take it? 

sonicgeeza
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      • Our History Is Untouchable
      Reply #20: May 01, 2010 02:49:38 pm
      Like evryone else in life, "money" is his main need/want/desire.

A passionate 50 year+ Chelsea man, and it means f**k all when it comes to an opportunity to fill the mattress up with a few more millions.

here is a question to ponder

If you are offered a few million pounds, on the condition that you had to agree to not following Liverpool for a year or two, would you take it? 

Yes... but only if I could go back in time and do my time through the Souness years :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,258 posts | 8581 
      Reply #21: May 01, 2010 05:45:51 pm
      Sorry Joey, I know you posted this originally, but I've just seen an extra bit missed off:

'Why I'm missing Chelsea game'

Chairman Martin Broughton today praised the Liverpool supporters after the Reds saw their hopes of Europa League glory dashed by Atletico Madrid - and then explained why he won't be at Anfield on Sunday for the clash with Chelsea.

The British Airways chief, who was appointed Liverpool Chairman in April, was at Anfield on Thursday night to see Rafael Benitez's men go out of the competition on away goals after Diego Forlan's extra time strike.

The home fans were on course to celebrate another memorable European night after goals from Alberto Aquilani and Yossi Benayoun, but although those dreams were ended in such heartbreaking fashion Broughton insists the supporters packed into Anfield deserve the highest praise.

"It would have been a fantastic reward for the fans to have a final to look forward to," he said. "It doesn't matter who you support, everyone knows about Liverpool fans on European nights and about the great atmosphere they create.

While Broughton was at Anfield alongside Managing Director Christian Purslow on Thursday, one fixture he won't be attending is this weekend's Barclays Premier League clash with Chelsea.

With Liverpool needing three points to keep their Champions League dreams alive and with Chelsea requiring two wins to secure the title, Broughton - a self-confessed lifelong Chelsea fan - admits it wouldn't be appropriate for him to take his place in the Directors Box on Sunday.

"Any true fan who has supported a club for 55 years - like I have - can't be expected to suddenly move against them overnight," he added.

"When you have followed a team for as long as I have then it's in the blood. It's a very emotional thing and all fans who have supported Liverpool for a long time will know what I mean.

"I can't come to the match on Sunday and show any of that emotion because that would be very disrespectful to the Liverpool faithful. Liverpool have terrific fans and I wouldn't want to do that, so the only sensible thing is for me to stay at home and watch it on the television.

Since being appointed Liverpool Chairman, Broughton has been inundated with emails from Reds fans - both expressing support ahead of the task of finding new investment and also asking question after question about what the future may hold for Liverpool Football Club.

"As soon I was named Liverpool Chairman, Liverpool fans were getting in touch and were naturally asking a lot of questions," he told the official website.

"It's perfectly understandable that they want to know about the future of their club, how much money we have to spend, who the new owners are going to be and are they going to build the new stadium. I'm not at all surprised by the level of interest and I aim to be as open as I possibly can and keep supporters informed of what's happening at their club."

Martin Broughton will shortly be answering fans questions in a special edition of 'The Big Interview' for LFC TV. If you would like to submit a question for the new Liverpool Football Club Chairman, please email questions@liverpoolfc.tv and include your name.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/why-i-m-missing-chelsea-game

I've got a question for you, Why haven't you spoken to Rafa yet, you workshy f**ker?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #22: May 01, 2010 05:48:01 pm
      I'd much rather this than all the sycophantic, scarf wavin, platitude laden cock that we used to get off the other two. By comparison this is a breath of pure unadulterated oxygen.

Quick Reply