Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Boycotting games & merchandise

Read 9961 times
      remy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts |
      Re: Boycotting games & merchandise
      Reply #23: May 12, 2010 06:18:18 pm
      Will never turn my back on my club but find it all too easy to turn my back on them two clowns .Boycott for me come August until they sell up, will brake my heart but has to be done for the good of the club in my opinion .
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #24: May 12, 2010 06:33:02 pm
      so the point that people seem to be failing to get is....

boycotting the club merchandise /tickets etc

WILL DAMAGE THE CLUB!!!!

How will keeping money out of the yanks pockets damage the club?

Please explain.

Because I can't see it.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: May 12, 2010 06:39:48 pm
      I think having one or two games where no supporters turn up as a pre organised protest against the yanks, is a great way to show the whole world (think of the world wide sports pages it would make ) how we the fans feel about what's happenend to our club.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #26: May 12, 2010 06:50:57 pm
      I think having one or two games where no supporters turn up as a pre organised protest against the yanks, is a great way to show the whole world (think of the world wide sports pages it would make ) how we the fans feel about what's happenend to our club.

Would never work though. There's too many whoppers who blame Rafa who would still go and then we'd have an Anfield full of Rafa bashers.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #27: May 12, 2010 07:02:23 pm
      I for one wouldnt boycott a game, these clowns already know how the fans feel and an empty kop/stadium would be a nightmare scenario for our players so that's a no go for me.

I'm not one for buying shirts etc but keep chipping away at them and they'll crack and F**k off soon!! ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #28: May 12, 2010 07:13:20 pm
      so the point that people seem to be failing to get is....

boycotting the club merchandise /tickets etc

WILL DAMAGE THE CLUB!!!!

Come on which one of them are you?

I'm guessin you're Tommy as Georgie boy doesn't bother his arse gettin involved.
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #29: May 12, 2010 07:14:28 pm
      This boycott is bullshit. So, ye don't want us to but jerseys because the money is going to the yanks. What about the games? Are we not to go at all anymore? So then what? Watch Liverpool down the pub? Well your pub money pays pub owner, who then pays Sky sports, who make even more money from advertising, who's products are bought by fans. Those advertisers also pay Liverpool around the ground
      This is short sightedness on your behalf. It's obvious now that hicks and gillette won't be around much longer. The club is already in enough debt without this. The more debt we get into = the more money the yanks will need to sell it for = the harder it will be to sell.  A boycott by the fans will do alot more bad than good.
      I WILL NOT STOP BEING A LIVERPOOL FAN
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #30: May 12, 2010 07:15:28 pm
      Can we please refrain from having this thread turn in to a massive shouting match?

I'm not entirely sure that there was a boycott to the West Ham game. It was moved to the Monday night relatively late in the day and flights were also grounded, so that contributed to the low attendance. And it is widely known we do not want to boycott games because it would affect the team on the day.

As for boycotting buying the new shirts from the club store, I'm all for it. It is obvious that they are not willing enough to put a penny of their own money in to the club, even to buy it as a matter of fact, so why should we continue to prop them up? I for one will probably leave buying the shirt and buy it direct from the club once they have vacated the premises.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #31: May 12, 2010 07:16:27 pm
      Come on which one of them are you?

I'm guessin you're Tommy as Georgie boy doesn't bother his arse gettin involved.

I'm with you on that one or possibly another Purslow droid.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #32: May 12, 2010 07:29:46 pm
      I think the argument is getting off track and personal now. We all support the club. People dont sign onto a forum and post hundreds of comments because they hate the team.  We all support this club and want to see it be brought back to glory and winning cups and the league.

Boycotting in any form Is a tough decision for any supporter.  Boycotting matches and merchandise is the ultimate step.  It takes a huge amount of revenue from the club.

But, I would never force a supporter to do any of that nor would I blast him on this forum for not doing it.  I dont expect a season ticket holder who has had tickets for 30-40 years passed down from father to son etc..to just give them up and not go. I wouldn't ask that of anyone.  If someone wants to buy the new kit thats his decision and thats fine. But I would hope that he understands that if he can do something to protest the ownership then I would hope he would do it.

Plus, that same season ticket holder can do things to show he is not happy with the direction the club is taking.  Dont buy food or shirts or drinks at the match inside Anfield, but support the businesses around Anfield. Go to the pubs and restaurants and shops around the grounds. It supports the spirit of the club and other supporters and doesn't put money into the hands of Ownership.

I also understand the other side of the argument. Taking money from the club means their is no money to get the players we need to bring this team back to the top of the league and continue to fill the trophy case.  So its a win/lose proposition.  I think the best course of action is just protesting at matches and continued pressure and negative press directed towards ownership.  Make it known that they are not wanted, we will not support the owners and force them to sell the team and leave Liverpool all together. In this era with the Internet, Satellite TV deals, cable TV etc..Negative press is far more damaging than a boycott of taking money from them.  Negative press and bad press brings down governments, it can certainly hurt and bring down 2 owners of a football club.

Make signs and banners and bring them to the game. Hold rally's before the game and invite the press.  Eventually it will work and H&G will be shamed into selling the club. I have no doubt if enough pressure is forced on them through the media and press they will leave.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: May 12, 2010 07:30:02 pm
      Can we please refrain from having this thread turn in to a massive shouting match?

I'm not entirely sure that there was a boycott to the West Ham game. It was moved to the Monday night relatively late in the day and flights were also grounded, so that contributed to the low attendance. And it is widely known we do not want to boycott games because it would affect the team on the day.

As for boycotting buying the new shirts from the club store, I'm all for it. It is obvious that they are not willing enough to put a penny of their own money in to the club, even to buy it as a matter of fact, so why should we continue to prop them up? I for one will probably leave buying the shirt and buy it direct from the club once they have vacated the premises.

Testify!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #34: May 12, 2010 07:35:21 pm

Amen brother.

Boycotting shirt sales from the club shop will hurt the club far less than those two lying beauts raping it for everything it is worth. The quicker they are gone, the better.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #35: May 12, 2010 07:35:40 pm
      I get sickened by this "sit back and hope for the best" attitude STILL most fans seem to take.
      Everyone has been fully aware of the Yank's agenda for the past 2 years - and what have we thrown back at them?

Touche, my sentiments exactly. If they look like they are going to hold on for another year, it looks like the only option.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #36: May 12, 2010 07:42:03 pm
      And let's not forget this VERY important fact: The more merchandise the club sells, the more the yanks can value the club at.

They'll point to revenue streams and say "merchandising is worth X amount over X number of years, therefore that is worth another 100 million"

By reducing the revenue streams, we reduce the asking price and have more chance of a new owner who will put money into the team.

The yanks make their money by exploiting BRANDS - and like it or not, Liverpool is a global Brand, and they are exploiting fan loyalty to line their own pockets.
      Scottish Dave
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #37: May 12, 2010 07:42:15 pm
      I'll say again - you are not buying from the club, you are buying from the yanks, and putting even more money in their pockets.
      100% correct.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #38: May 12, 2010 07:44:37 pm
      I'm not sure and don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist here but over the last couple of weeks there seems to have been an influx of new 'posters' who seem to have an agenda, be it against the Gaffer, Fans or LFC in general. The consistency seems to me that the agenda i'm picking up on is they all seem to want to create a bit of turmoil against the club by putting across their opinion as 'fans'. You know who you are.

Now whilst a good debate is all well and good and part of the beauty of football, if i get an inkling or slight suspicion that one of these 'fans' ius posting then i'm just goin to blank that post and i urge all other true reds to do the same.

Its like openin the door to a Jehovahs Witness and sayin nothin. Just let them ramble about the lord until they run out of things to say then shut the door, they don't come back. We all know they'll get bored and go eventually but if a scabby dog starts sniffin at your front door and you feed it it'll come back for more so lets starve the fuckers.

Pointless ramble or rambling point? You decide.

YNWA IRWT JFT96
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #39: May 12, 2010 07:47:50 pm

Make signs and banners and bring them to the game. Hold rally's before the game and invite the press.  Eventually it will work and H&G will be shamed into selling the club. I have no doubt if enough pressure is forced on them through the media and press they will leave.

How do you shame someone who has no shame?

Do you honestly think they give a sh*t what anyone thinks of them?

They live in a bubble, and couldn't give a toss about the club, or us the fans - all they care about is the money they are making from us, and that's why it's important to hit them somewhere they understand. In their pockets.

The press also don't give a F**k - an ex-player whose name is sh*t said after a 6 minute protest, "can we get on with the football now"

they'll spin it any way the can to sell more papers - but we'll never get the coverage that the red knights get, simply because our cause doesn't make the press barons as much money as reporting on united does.

Their fans are "heroic"

What we get is calls to shut up for the sake of the club.

Absolute bollcks, and more proof of the press agenda.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #40: May 12, 2010 08:04:31 pm

I also understand the other side of the argument. Taking money from the club means their is no money to get the players we need to bring this team back to the top of the league and continue to fill the trophy case.  So its a win/lose proposition. 

Where have you been for the last four transfer windows? Rafa hasnt been given any money for players. So i doubt its going to affect the team much.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #41: May 12, 2010 09:19:55 pm
      I think boycotting games will hurt the team, and i know that i cannot stomach another season like this one.  Plus we all know that a boycott will never happen as everyone who wants the Yanks out will boycott a game, but the fans who cannot be bothered to protest will just buy the tickets that come available.  As for the merchandise, we all know the hardcore fans who are against the yanks have not been buying merchandise from the club for ages, but all the other fans still go buying the tops.  The yanks know we have a massive following all around the world and the merchandise will still be getting sold.

I came up with an idea which I sent to Spirit of Shankley, which involved t shirts being sold with slogans against the yanks (SOS sell them for £6 already).  If people started buying them and wearing them at games and hopefully it would spread amongst the fans and then more and more people could display there utter displeasure at the yanks.  Plus people would start asking more questions why we are doing this, the more information people know and spread across to other fans the better. 

Hopefully though we will be sold by the summer and we wont have to do this, but if not we have to act swifly before we go further and further down.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #42: May 12, 2010 10:44:28 pm
      How do you shame someone who has no shame?

Do you honestly think they give a sh*t what anyone thinks of them?

They live in a bubble, and couldn't give a toss about the club, or us the fans - all they care about is the money they are making from us, and that's why it's important to hit them somewhere they understand. In their pockets.

The press also don't give a F**k - an ex-player whose name is sh*t said after a 6 minute protest, "can we get on with the football now"

they'll spin it any way the can to sell more papers - but we'll never get the coverage that the red knights get, simply because our cause doesn't make the press barons as much money as reporting on united does.

Their fans are "heroic"

What we get is calls to shut up for the sake of the club.

Absolute bollcks, and more proof of the press agenda.
      I understand your point. Certain actions can and will hurt the club. I am not for a total boycott of the team. That is something which can very easily backfire and hurt the team more than anything.

However, if done right a media campaign CAN work.  Whatever our feelings our towards the press and we know how they fu**ed this club in the past. But bad PR is Bad PR.  Thats why clubs have public relations directors and media consultants. I would bet my life that H&G have skeletons in their closet. Whether its shady business deals, or stock and trade manipulations or a dead hooker in a hotel room..whatever....Bad press is not good for any team or anyone. Its finding out, getting the bad information and then publishing it.

Do you honestly think that if thousands of Liverpool supporters were to demonstrate or rally outside Anfield that the press would just ignore it. No way. Papers love dirt,love scandal and love the little guy vs the big guy. Personally Hicks and Gillete probably dont give a F**k, its apparant in the way they conduct themselves...but bad press is a killer. 

Remember when Hicks Jr. told a fan to "F**k off" in an email?   He was fired from the board and the club. He was Director of the club. It worked. It got one of them out.

Dont underestimate bad PR in the day and age of instant information and instant news. Companies spend millions on PR firms and spin control of bad press.  It works. We need to find a common ground which shows support for the "Team and Club" and what it represents and an action that goes against the Ownership. 

I think the answer could come from the initial deal itself. When they took over they were supposed to build a new stadium..that was a clear and well known stipulation in the contract and lease of the club.  I think if the FA got off its ass and pressured H&G to either sell the team entirely or refinance with solid investors and REAL CASH. No more loans or fu**ed up bonds and stock transfers or whatever they do. Personally, I dont think the FA will allow probably one of the top 3 clubs in the world to go downhill because the owners failed to follow through on their agreements to Liverpool and the FA.  If the FA is the governing body of Football in England then they need to come out, make a stand and side with the supporters. Its apparent that H&G failed to fulfill their end of the agreement to the FA. So where are they and what are they going to do.

Does anyone know if a copy of the contract/deal is online or printed somewhere for people to look at? 

I would be very Interested in reading that and finding out exactly how they were allowed to buy the club after having such a horrible record of running Sports teams.  Here is a brief lesson on how BAD Hicks is at owning a sports franchise:

CORINTHIANS

Before he took over, Corinthians won the league in 98 and 99. They were the top club in Brazil and one of the best clubs in the World. Then Hicks bought and of course promised "Corinthians" a new stadium. This was a successful club playing in the top league in Brazil. So what does he do? He changed the team colors and crest, added sponsors to the shirts turning the players into walking billboards.  After a few years he never built the stadium, the team had a massive debt and horrible financial troubles Hicks "Retired" from the club and they ended up relegated to the lower divisions. He took the best club team in Brazil which won the League 2 years in a row.Had 26 national cups. He buys them and in 4 years they go into massive debt and end up in relegation.

TEXAS RANGERS

He bought the team in 98' they won the division in 98/99 then went downhill.  Have never made the playoffs since and are currently $600 Million in debt and cant sell the team because they are in such a financial mess that the league wont approve any sale until Hicks pays back some of the debt. Another failure and sent the team into a financial mess.

Now Liverpool...Hicks said in an Interview he believes the club is worth 4 times what he paid and would only sell it for that amount.  Which means he wont sell unless he gets approx 876 Million pounds or $1.7 BILLION US DOLLARS.  He said that the club has TRIPLED in value since he took over.  He honestly believes that.

I want to know why the FA allowed him to buy one of their top clubs, the most known football club in the world. They had to have seen what he did to Corinthians. How do you allow that too happen?  I blame the FA as much as I blame H&G. Especially when he comes to the table with no cash and only has loans and bonds and whatever these guys have that allow them to continue destroying companies and franchises. Why aren't they forcing him them to sell the team? Plus, If he thinks he tripled the clubs worth in the last 3 years he is completely, insane. How does he justify it?  Where exactly does the tripled worth come from. He never built a stadium, haven't won the league, wont sign top players or give Rafa money to spend.

Thats like me just saying my car is worth $100,000 dollars because I say it is. Its only a 2001 Jeep but I say its worth 100K.  He can say the club is worth 100 Trillion dollars...so what. Its what people are willing to pay. Its like collecting a comic book. The first Batman comic just sold for a Million dollars at auction. Right now its worth a Million dollars because someone paid that, in actuality its worth about 5 cents.Its just an old comic made of paper. But, again the super rich have inflated ego's and make worthless sh*t valuable.  Van Gogh paintings are 100 million, why?  its a 140 year old painting with about $1 dollars worth of paint and canvass. But because some jerk-off paid $100 million for it, it is now "valuable".
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #43: May 12, 2010 10:48:29 pm
      I wont be Boycotting any game i want to get to as many as i can in this short life haha more fans boycott the games the better for me more chance of a ticket.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #44: May 12, 2010 10:54:03 pm
      So your happy with what is going on in the club?  Just as long as you get a ticket!!
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #45: May 12, 2010 10:58:36 pm
      ;D i was joking hate what is happen to my club as it if carrys on there will be plenty of tickets as of the Yanks/ Banks will have to sell our Best Players no no no Club comes first if this does carry on till next season and we dont sing anyone no new owner no stadium and Rafa has not got a clue what is happen i can see my self going to Tyncastle and watching Liverpool on Football First on a sat night hope it changes as i cant bare to go back watching hEARTS.

Quick Reply