Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Roque Santa Cruz (Man City)

Read 3859 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Roque Santa Cruz (Man City)
      Jun 02, 2010 03:53:25 pm
      Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is apparently considering a move for Manchester City's forgotten man Roque Santa Cruz.

The Anfield manager is desperately trying to bring in more new additions to his failing squad but is having to do so on a shoestring budget but hopes that he could convince Roberto Mancini to sell by offering Eastlands target Yossi Benayoun as bait.

The Daily Mirror reported back in December that Benitez was considering a move for the Paraguayan but nothing came of their interest but having seen the former Blackburn Rovers man consigned to a season of bench warming the Merseyside club believe they could lure the £17.5m man to the club.

Roque Santa Cruz managed just six Premier League starts last term and it seems increasingly likely to be another season of despair at the club unless he can manage to cement an exit. Manchester City are not likely to accept offers for the 28 year old that are not on or around the fee they paid Rovers last summer and that kind of bid just isn't likely to come from Liverpool.

However Roberto Mancini is known to be a fan of Israeli international Yossi Benayoun and given that Rafa Benitez doesn't appear to see the attacking midfielder as part of his first team plans he may be wisely used as a bargaining chip in any potential deal.

Liverpool urgently need new attacking options to help carry the burden so heavily placed on Fernando Torres and even though the club has signed Milan Jovanovic on a free transfer the club could well do with yet more firepower and the potential partnership of Santa Cruz and the Spanish goal machine would surely be one that could work well.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/reds-target-city-striker
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Roque Santa Cruz (Man City)
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2010 03:57:27 pm
      Definitely don't want him.

He had one good season with Blackburn. He's sh*t now.
      lfcinpa
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2010 03:59:36 pm
      I disagree.  I'd love to have him.  He was excellent with Blackburn the season before last and even with Bayern Munich he was always a decent goal threat.  He wont' score 30 goals obviously but he'd be our clear number two option and I think he could contribute 15-18.  Clearly 17.5M is too much for him, but if the price is right, I'd be happy with this.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2010 04:02:54 pm
      If we get him at a decent price could be a decent player for us.Definitely won't break the bank for him.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2010 04:04:28 pm
      I disagree.  I'd love to have him.  He was excellent with Blackburn the season before last and even with Bayern Munich he was always a decent goal threat.  He wont' score 30 goals obviously but he'd be our clear number two option and I think he could contribute 15-18.  Clearly 17.5M is too much for him, but if the price is right, I'd be happy with this.
      I agree with this. You dont become a bad player over night. He wasnt given a run of games this season. He would score 15 or more goals I think. The most I would pay for him is \round £7-8 million though?
      marcyanguez
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2010 04:06:27 pm
      Average player. Benitez has already bought lots of average players recently and he's not an exception. What about Adam Johnson? This guy is a potential top player!
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 02, 2010 04:16:17 pm
      If we get him at a decent price could be a decent player for us.Definitely won't break the bank for him.
      I agree with this opinion,and would not sell Jossi to bring him.Jossi should stay in Anfield.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #7: Jun 02, 2010 04:29:46 pm
      He is apparently struggling in the form department so for citeh to want anywhere near the £17m they paid is a joke, especially when you consider they were throwing money around like a lunatic at the time and definitely paid over the odds. If they hold Yossi in such high esteem maybe a straight swap would be in order.
      It would surely be of benefit to Nando with Javanovic and Santa Cruz ready to share the attacking role and take some weight off his back.  
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2010 06:17:06 pm by stuey »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2010 07:04:47 pm
      You don't become a bad player overnight neither do you become a good player, before Santa Cruz one good season at Blackburn he had never scored more than 6 league goals in a season.

In between his injury plagued career he was a completely diaster at Bayern. He has been F***ing awful at City. I'm getting sick of people thinking one good season at Blackburn makes a someone a good player.

With his injury record and his goal scoring record I would be disgusted with this signing.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2010 11:37:08 pm
      I agree with corballyred, during all his career in Europe (he's 28), he only scored more than 10 goals in one season.

17 million for that? Injury prone too?

F**k that.
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2010 11:49:54 pm
      Overrated? Injury Prone? That sounds like Rafa! :P

In all seriousness I can't ever see this happening.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #11: Jun 03, 2010 10:14:44 am
      Has never scored over 10 goals in a single season since he left his club in brazil.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Jun 03, 2010 10:17:18 am
      He scored 19 in his first season at Blackburn in the league and 23 in all competitions.
      Sam -reds for life
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #13: Aug 19, 2010 10:16:37 am
      http://www.jarrowandhebburngazette.com/latest-sport/Transfer-rumours-Thursday-August-19.6483043.jp

I have no idea how reliable this site is, but they say that liverpool are weighing up an approch for Santa Cruz and maybe Bridge
      really hope this happends
      but don';t know where we are going to get the money from unless we sell mash
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Aug 19, 2010 10:20:23 am
      http://www.jarrowandhebburngazette.com/latest-sport/Transfer-rumours-Thursday-August-19.6483043.jp

I have no idea how reliable this site is, but they say that liverpool are weighing up an approch for Santa Cruz and maybe Bridge

It's just a gossip column, much like the one on the BBC website, the original source is www.caughtoffside.com, something Peter Crouch has given Abbey Clancy a practical test on.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #15: Aug 19, 2010 10:24:30 am
      but don';t know where we are going to get the money from unless we sell mash

We are after a left back and a striker. City have Bridge and Santa Cruz to spare.

I firmly beleive that the original source have, quite possible, invented this story. You heard it here first. ;)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Aug 19, 2010 11:08:25 am
      We are after a left back and a striker. City have Bridge and Santa Cruz to spare.

I firmly beleive that the original source have, quite possible, invented this story. You heard it here first. ;)

This isn't true. If we got these 2 i would honestly be really pissed off because they are both very much passed it.

Bridge £2m - Santa Cruz £2.5m <<< i'm feeling generous on their valuations there.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #17: Aug 19, 2010 11:12:58 am
      2 Poor buys!
      Sam -reds for life
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 19, 2010 11:15:04 am

k thanks
      so anything from that site is just gossip?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Aug 19, 2010 12:05:11 pm
      Would be a joke of a signing as I said before barring that one season with Blackburn has never scored more than 6 goals in the league in a season. How F***ing injury prone is he as well. Him and Bridge that has to be a piss take.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #20: Aug 19, 2010 06:46:49 pm
      Why are we always linked with Roque? Would be cheap yes and had one good season at Blackburn but why not Robinho?  Much better player (ok he's temperamental too but Roy could deal with that).
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #21: Aug 19, 2010 06:50:34 pm
      Noooo, he has never given this club the respect it deserves, and he's sh*te, let him rot at Eastlands.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #22: Aug 19, 2010 07:35:50 pm
      Why are we always linked with Roque? Would be cheap yes and had one good season at Blackburn but why not Robinho?  Much better player (ok he's temperamental too but Roy could deal with that).

Apparently he is off to Beskitas

Quick Reply