Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool offer Rafael Benitez a way out of Anfield

Read 54471 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: BREAKING: Liverpool offer Rafael Benitez a way out of Anfield
      Reply #667: Jun 03, 2010 02:05:02 pm
      Rafa exit not a consequence of player power

Now it has become clear that the club no longer want Rafa Benitez at Anfield, there are a couple of issues that need clearing up...

Rafa decided last week to move the situation forward when he told me – for an article published in The Daily Mirror – that he wanted to stay. He put forward his reasons for lowering expectations and defended his good record at the club. However, the warning was there; that he would stay, “if he`s allowed”. He hasn`t been allowed, and the club feels the situation has stagnated.

Rafa told me he would love to stay but there were many obstacles. I have the impression that he had a clear idea that not everybody at the club backed him and many were happy to leave him out there in the firing line to take the blame for a disappointing and frustrating season – instead of them admitting that the team`s results were the consequence of a club that had the financial resources to enter the race in a family hatchback - but wanted the results of a Ferrari - But Rafa was NOT talking about the players at the club.

So, is player power behind all of this, as many are reporting? I think it is more a case of club power: people within the club hierarchy have decided there is no point in keeping the manager and he is the easy option to take the blame.

The reports of a complete breakdown in his relationship with key players are false. For example, Rafa called Steven Gerrard on the player`s birthday last Sunday and the pair chatted for 20 minutes.

If Gerrard is seriously thinking about a move it is not because of Rafa, but because there have been so many promises unfulfilled by the people running the club and the Liverpool captain may feel that he must go elsewhere in order to compete for titles. For an elite player, like Gerrard, titles define a career and he has given most of his professional life to Liverpool – understandably he is thinking about a move because the club is not moving in the right direction.

Gerrard has four offers from English and there have been conversations with Real Madrid. Mourinho would love to work with either Lampard or Gerrard and if Mourinho convinces the Reaclubs l Madrid president to fund a move, then an offer will be made for one of them. Gerrard has not conspired against Rafa even though it is quite likely that the long relationship between them had become professional. I have said before that, in my opinion, the intensive methods of Rafa, means that his squads need to be recycled regularly - every 2-3 years - for their full potential to be realised.

But reports of the distance between Rafa and his players have been grossly exaggerated – granted, he is not their best friend either, but that was not the ultimate reason for his departure. When Ryan Babel suffered an injury scare last week that threatened his place in the Dutch World Cup squad, Rafa was on the phone to him immediately to give him support.

It is true that certain players who do not feature regularly for the first team are not all entirely happy – but that is normal under any manager at any club – and it requires a huge leap of imagination to say that unhappiness brings conspiracies against the manager. The impression I am getting from key players is that they hate the idea of people thinking it was a player power versus Benitez – rather a frustration at a 7th  placed finish and 4 years without a trophy and the growing sense that unless there are changes – at all levels – little will change.

My own view is that, in hindsight, if Benitez had focused all of his resources on winning the Premier League instead of trying to challenge for the cup competitions as well, maybe his story at Liverpool would have been different: delivering a league title at Anfield given the circumstances and resources of the club at the moment would have given him a huge amount of credit with the club, fans and media.

However, as he admitted to me in his last interview as Liverpool manager,  during his six years at Liverpool, Manchester have United averaged 83 points a season, Chelsea 77.8 and Arsenal 77 -  and in two of those seasons Liverpool have broken their all time record points tally - 82 points in 2006 and 86 in 2009. Yet even that appears to have not been enough.

So what`s next?
      Reaching a severance agreement will not be easy. Rafa will remain in holiday in Sardinia while the lawyers do the talking - and the £3 million being offered might not be enough…

Benitez` best option was Juventus: he did consider it, but was never entirely convinced because he felt there was a chance to stay and finish the job at Anfield. Inter Milan is the most likely option, but taking on the job of managing a club with an ageing squad that has just won everything is not a challenge many would relish.

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=Rafa%20exit%20not%20a%20consequence%20of%20player%20power&id=455.

Interesting read this.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #668: Jun 03, 2010 02:05:36 pm
      A picture tells a thousand words................
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #669: Jun 03, 2010 02:05:52 pm
      I really hope against all the odds that Rafa stays. I think without a doubt he is the man for the job. The passion and commitment he has shown for the club & the fans is, in my lifetime, unprecedented.
      I also fear that not only will our top players leave but also that the youth setup may suffer so if this is true it is not only devastating news for today but also for our future.

No chance of Rafa stopping now
      I don't think that there will be a sure fire sale of the club players though,it's not particularly in the wankspanner owners interest to do this
      Yes they could generate a few hundred million short term but this will prove problamatic selling the club down the line and eventually no assets to sell ,dropping crowds etc
      I would hazard a guess Kenny will take over for the season being the "cheap" option until new buyers come in and personally i think this will happen this summer
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #670: Jun 03, 2010 02:07:35 pm
      F***ing well in to that lad representing SoS. James McKenna. F***ing well in son.

He's a great speaker knows exactly what is happening.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,499 posts | 2869 
      Reply #671: Jun 03, 2010 02:11:10 pm
      "A great day for LFC"

F**k off you c**t on SSN.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #672: Jun 03, 2010 02:11:20 pm
      This interview with James McKenna should be shown time and time again on TV. This is brilliant.

Yeah, he was very good.

Just turned SSN off now though, doing my head in!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #673: Jun 03, 2010 02:14:48 pm
      SSN off. Doing my head in. At least i have a good distraction, revision :'(.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #674: Jun 03, 2010 02:16:22 pm
      Would be very funny if Rafa told the board to F**k right off!!
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #675: Jun 03, 2010 02:21:36 pm
      was at a protest when Jay was there, and he handled himself very well and had the respect from the fans and stewards when we protested outside the main stand.

Well in Lad
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #676: Jun 03, 2010 02:22:07 pm
      Rafa exit not a consequence of player power

Now it has become clear that the club no longer want Rafa Benitez at Anfield, there are a couple of issues that need clearing up...

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=Rafa%20exit%20not%20a%20consequence%20of%20player%20power&id=455.

Interesting read this.
      Glad you posted that.

It's definitely worth reading before some idiot comes up and starts complaining about man management.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #677: Jun 03, 2010 02:23:01 pm
      Im at work but can anyone give deatils on what Macateer & Redknapp have been saying and James McKenna as well.

Thanks
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #678: Jun 03, 2010 02:24:03 pm
      if you really think the money we spend at the club is going back into the club then your a f**king idiot who has not got a clue. (Ceerez)

But feel free to keep spending your cash there.  I know I wont be doing it till those f**king lying cunting bas**rds are out the club.

And if YOU think that every penny spent on merchandising goes into the american's pockets then you're a clueless buffoon whose anger  has overtaken your logical reasoning.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #679: Jun 03, 2010 02:25:17 pm
      I saw a little of Redknapp and he said that it was about time that Rafa went.  I did not hear anymore as I could not bear to listen to what other sh*te he had to say.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #680: Jun 03, 2010 02:25:59 pm
      "A great day for LFC"

F**k off you c**t on SSN.

who said that?

Be great if the Thommos and Tommy Smiths and Aldos gotthere bums down to the protest tonight that would show proper backing
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #681: Jun 03, 2010 02:26:39 pm
      ..Celebrate Good Times - COME ON!!

Best news I've heard for a while... It'll be great to get this cleared up before the WC starts.  At least it gives the players hope and comfort. 

It also provides a way for those who don't want to be at the club to leave - so we can focus on the real team for the new season.

Good News!!

Piss off.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #682: Jun 03, 2010 02:26:57 pm
      and were do you think the money goes then??  
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #683: Jun 03, 2010 02:28:23 pm

I second that motion.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #684: Jun 03, 2010 02:30:31 pm
      There is of course an outside chance that a buyer is closer than we think and part of the deal is that the new ownership would bring in their own management team and manager.
      It would be down to Liverpool FC to undertake a severance deal for an existing employee ie Rafa.

We'd be the last to know anyway.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #685: Jun 03, 2010 02:31:44 pm
      Absolutely gutted to read this thread :(
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #687: Jun 03, 2010 02:34:33 pm

Run along my friend.  You can follow Rafa to his next club.

Liverpool supporters support the club.. and this is good news for the club!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #688: Jun 03, 2010 02:36:03 pm
      Run along my friend.  You can follow Rafa to his next club.

Liverpool supporters support the club.. and this is good news for the club!
      And who do you support?
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #689: Jun 03, 2010 02:36:30 pm
      THESE YANKS ARE PICKING US BIT BY BIT!!!

JUST REMEMBER YOU YANKS...THE LIVERBIRD ALWAYS WINS!!!

Quick Reply