Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

May I dare a little optimism??

Read 7138 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      May I dare a little optimism??
      Jun 04, 2010 10:53:48 am
      As Stuey has said in several topics, the most optimistic scenario at the moment is that wealthy buyers have been found and they have stipulated that they bring in the manager that they want, hence Rafa had to go.

Of course, there are several other scenarios that, quite frankly, I don't want to consider! They've been covered enough by other posters.

So for the sake of this thread, please do not debate whether Rafa was the right man or not. He has gone and it's fairly safe to assume that he will take some staff with him and whoever comes in will have very different ideas of how the team should play / line up.

Let's pretend that the above scenario is happening, new owners are coming in with a new manager before that start of the season.

What changes would you like to see on the pitch? I don't want another Rafa bashing thread, this is not about him but most of us had some things we disagreed with him about.

I'll give you some examples:

I'm a fan of 4-4-2 in principle but I also like to have Masch playing just in front of the back 4.
      For this reason, I would probably like to see a kind of 4-1-3-2 formation with Stevie G in front of Masch and 2 up top.
      If Masch has (or wants) to go, I personally believe that Lucas can do that job (this is not a Lucas bashing thread either).
      It would work like a 4-4-2 but Gerrard would be the more offensive.

For the timebeing, I would keep Gerrard as captain. Having a new manager may reignite him and bring back the Stevie G we all love.
      Pepe would be vice captain. Carra is a legend but on the whole, I feel Pepe's opinions have been more positive and he's been more vocal.

Carra would no longer be an automatic first choice. I think he (and the team) would benefit from him having a rest now and then.

Kuyt would play as a striker or not at all (barring an injury crisis).

There's a few starters, some light relief from the sh*t that's going on. Discuss.
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Re: May I dare a little optimism??
      Reply #1: Jun 04, 2010 10:57:50 am
      Thanks for the ray of hope.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #2: Jun 04, 2010 10:58:51 am
      Appreciate your optimism.  Personally I don't believe a buyer is lined up.  I don't believe the owners will install somebody committed to the long term future of the club as manager.

However, for the purpose of the thread I will play along.

I'd give Gerrard another season at most to see if his legs have really gone.  I don't think I would be playing Jamie Carragher and I would buy two genuinely attacking wingers.  Whether I would put Pepe as captain or vice-captain I don't know.  There is an argument for Pepe captain and Torres vice-captain.  They hopefully represent the future of the club.  Gerrard and Carra do not.

With a fit Torres there isn't anything much wrong with our formation.  Our biggest problem is that the likes of Kuyt are not totally offensive and creative wingers.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2010 11:01:40 am
      I agree 110% with this, we need to find a light in dark times.

Lets hope a new manager takes the dressing room by storm and tells the players "if you dont put in the effort then f*ck off"

A nice 4-1-3-2 would be good.

no leaving torres on his own, he will be more effective with some help, or at least a decoy.

bring in a decent left back or play agger there and drop skrtel in with carra.

On paper we have a very strong team, we just need to keep hold of the key players.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2010 11:02:10 am
      I know, chats but the thread is kind of a 'what if' thread. You must have ideas of how you'd like us to play so just go along with the idea for now. I could spend all day reading pessimistic posts on here about the demise of the Club but fancied a bit of a break from it!
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2010 11:03:29 am
      There always should be optimism.  We will face a terrible time no doubt, but we will get through this. It's not the end.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2010 11:05:26 am
      Definately
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Jun 04, 2010 11:09:18 am
      I guess I won't mention any names of players I'd sign.

I'd partner Gerrard in the centre with Mascherano. He's more able to influence games there than he would now in the hole. However if we have someone like Alonso behind him, Stevie can play in the hole. Lucas, will only be cover for any of the midfielders out.

Like JD, I'd have two attacking wingers. If we play 4-4-2, Kuyt can play up with Nando. If we remain 4-5-1, Aquilani goes in the hole. I think it's also an idea to have a couple of formations we can use to have as Plan B or C when the first we set out with isn't workingn in the game.

I would keep Gerrard and Carra as captain and vice for now. Being local lads, their influences can mean more than anyone. Considering they have kept quiet throughtout the whole 2009/2010 season, the probably have their own issues, whether it is with the manager or not, I do not know and perhaps a new manager, we could see some changes.

We have a good set of players in the squad. We need to keep hold of the important players, ring some changes and utilise their abilities as much as we can.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #8: Jun 04, 2010 11:20:49 am
      I think it's also an idea to have a couple of formations we can use to have as Plan B or C when the first we set out with isn't working in the game.
      Yeah, agree with that.
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #9: Jun 04, 2010 11:26:18 am

As Stuey has said in several topics, the most optimistic scenario at the moment is that wealthy buyers have been found and they have stipulated that they bring in the manager that they want, hence Rafa had to go.

Of course, there are several other scenarios that, quite frankly, I don't want to consider! They've been covered enough by other posters.

So for the sake of this thread, please do not debate whether Rafa was the right man or not. He has gone and it's fairly safe to assume that he will take some staff with him and whoever comes in will have very different ideas of how the team should play / line up.

Let's pretend that the above scenario is happening, new owners are coming in with a new manager before that start of the season.

What changes would you like to see on the pitch? I don't want another Rafa bashing thread, this is not about him but most of us had some things we disagreed with him about.

I'll give you some examples:

I'm a fan of 4-4-2 in principle but I also like to have Masch playing just in front of the back 4.
      For this reason, I would probably like to see a kind of 4-1-3-2 formation with Stevie G in front of Masch and 2 up top.
      If Masch has (or wants) to go, I personally believe that Lucas can do that job (this is not a Lucas bashing thread either).
      It would work like a 4-4-2 but Gerrard would be the more offensive.

For the timebeing, I would keep Gerrard as captain. Having a new manager may reignite him and bring back the Stevie G we all love.
      Pepe would be vice captain. Carra is a legend but on the whole, I feel Pepe's opinions have been more positive and he's been more vocal.

Carra would no longer be an automatic first choice. I think he (and the team) would benefit from him having a rest now and then.

Kuyt would play as a striker or not at all (barring an injury crisis).

There's a few starters, some light relief from the sh*t that's going on. Discuss.

Sorry mate there's a point where such starry eyed optimism becomes escapism and ultimately self delusion. Some people might want to think nice thoughts and pretend none of this is happening but our club is being raped. Unpleasant as it may be and I’m sorry if reality is poking it’s ugly nose in this is not a time for Reds to stand idly by while our club is being destroyed. Light relief is not what we need.

We know Hicks, Gillett, Purslow and Broughton are all liars.

We know that there is no buyer on the horizon because of the absurd asking price of £800m being demanded by the yanks.

We know that debt leveraged against our club has made it insolvent.

We know that interest payments are driving our club into administration.

We know that we will lose major players this summer who will not be replaced.

We know that we have lost a top class manager who will be replaced by some inferior.

We know that income this year will be lower than that to July 2009 and that group losses will increase substantially.

I think we're all agreed regardless of our opinions about Rafa that the real problem is Hicks, Gillett, Purslow and Broughton. Until that problem has been dealt with there will be no renaissance at Liverpool Football Club and anyone who thinks there will be is deluded.

Now is the time to take action and defend Liverpool Football Club.

No one else is going to do it except us Reds.

That means a summer of protest, of direct action, of flag burning, of boycotts and concentrating on the task at hand:

Getting rid of the parasites that are destroying our club and putting it back together again.

I don’t want my children asking me what I did to save Liverpool Football Club and having to tell them that I was dreaming about a fantasy world and pretending nothing was happening.

What do you want to tell your children?
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #10: Jun 04, 2010 11:34:31 am
      The only thing that will make a shred of difference is the players and manager, those fat c*nty yanks dont give a sh*t.

Forget the financial issue, there is nothing we can do except hope they get a buyer sorted soon and f*ck off.

Start concentrating on getting through the tough times, if we boycott the club, protest and dont turn up to games, who in the right mind will take that on??? nobody, and the top players will soon jump ship when they see 50,000 angry reds protesting.

Start trying to gee up the players to concentrate (as hard as it may be) on a fresh start next year, bring us in a couple of trophys and wave goodbye to the two pigs who have riddled us with debt.

I cant sit on here and read post after post of the same depressing stuff, as true as it may be.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #11: Jun 04, 2010 11:35:39 am
      Rob, I'll be blunt.

Piss off to another thread, eh?

I'm at work with a bit of spare time on my hands. I've contributed to the doom and gloom threads as well as the ones proposing positive action. At this point in time, there is little else I can do.

So, instead of wallowing in self pity and babbling about the potential death of a club that I have loved for as long as I can remember, I've created a 'what if' thread from the notion that there could be buyers lined up, regardless of how infinitely small that possibility may be.

Are you telling me that posting that rant is time better spent? If you didn't like the sentiment of this thread then why have you bothered posting in it? Everyone else seems to have bothered to read through it and appreciate the sentiment, is it that f***in hard to understand?

Sooner or later, one way or another, we will have a new manager. The idea of this thread ('game' if that makes it easier for you) is to simply suggest what you would LIKE to see changed, not what you (pessimistically) THINK will happen.

There are so many threads and plenty or forums for you to go and vent your frustrations in so kindly DO ONE!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #12: Jun 04, 2010 11:36:12 am
      I cant sit on here and read post after post of the same depressing stuff, as true as it may be.
      Exactly, hence this thread.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,673 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Jun 04, 2010 11:53:41 am
      If I may make a massive assumption. If we do keep Rodolfo and the rest of our academy staff and we get a continental manager than I would welcome a more attacking 4 5 1 line up, effectively 4 3 3. Built from a squad that we have it would be. . . Pepe in goal and captain. Johnson Carra Skrtel Dagger. . . . Alberto Masch and stevie across the centre. . . . Maxi Torres and Dani up front.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #14: Jun 04, 2010 11:58:24 am
      If I may make a massive assumption. If we do keep Rodolfo and the rest of our academy staff and we get a continental manager than I would welcome a more attacking 4 5 1 line up, effectively 4 3 3. Built from a squad that we have it would be. . . Pepe in goal and captain. Johnson Carra Skrtel Dagger. . . . Alberto Masch and stevie across the centre. . . . Maxi Torres and Dani up front.
      How would you arrange them?

Gerrard        Masch         Aquilani         ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,673 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Jun 04, 2010 12:03:13 pm
      Pretty much Rep. The little chief would sit deep allowing our two attacking midfielders to do exactly that
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #16: Jun 04, 2010 12:22:23 pm
      Rob, I'll be blunt.

I'm at work with a bit of spare time on my hands. I've contributed to the doom and gloom threads as well as the ones proposing positive action. At this point in time, there is little else I can do.

So, instead of wallowing in self pity and babbling about the potential death of a club that I have loved for as long as I can remember, I've created a 'what if' thread from the notion that there could be buyers lined up, regardless of how infinitely small that possibility may be.

Are you telling me that posting that rant is time better spent? If you didn't like the sentiment of this thread then why have you bothered posting in it? Everyone else seems to have bothered to read through it and appreciate the sentiment, is it that f***in hard to understand?

Sooner or later, one way or another, we will have a new manager. The idea of this thread ('game' if that makes it easier for you) is to simply suggest what you would LIKE to see changed, not what you (pessimistically) THINK will happen.

There are so many threads and plenty or forums for you to go and vent your frustrations in so kindly DO ONE!

Put your knickers back on and calm down.

I understand your reasons for starting this thread and I disagree with them.

I've explained why and I'm not going to repeat myself.

I've seen your posts elsewhere on the "Doom & Gloom" threads and "Action" threads and I think they're spot on.

So like I said respect for that and not my intention to get up your nose or anything else.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #17: Jun 04, 2010 12:25:07 pm
      Put your knickers back on and calm down.

I understand your reasons for starting this thread and I disagree with them.

I've explained why and I'm not going to repeat myself.

I've seen your posts elsewhere on the "Doom & Gloom" threads and "Action" threads and I think they're spot on.

So like I said respect for that and not my intention to get up your nose or anything else.

I also agree with the posts you've made elsewhere. Why you felt it necessary to post them in this thread is another matter.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,673 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Jun 04, 2010 01:01:02 pm
                          Reina (C)

Skrtel         Dagger
      Johnson                                Robinson/Silva

Mascherano
              Gerrard                Aquilani

Maxi                            Pacheco
                          Torres

Something like this
      Hypothetically speaking of course
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #19: Jun 04, 2010 01:07:55 pm
      That really should be a good enough team, shouldn't it?  :f_doh:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #20: Jun 04, 2010 01:21:00 pm
                         Reina (C)

Skrtel         Dagger
      Johnson                                Robinson/Silva

Mascherano
              Gerrard                Aquilani

Maxi                            Pacheco
                          Torres

Something like this
      Hypothetically speaking of course

I'd go for this apart from a minor couple of changes. I wouldn't have pacheco as a reg starter just yet, I'd play him more often to get him games. I'd play Babel instead out on left, he was showing very positive signs at the tail end of season. He can also double up as a strike when needs be, which was his natural position.

I'd play the Greek instead of Skrtl, I think He's far more solid.

And I'm not going to speculate on who our left back should be, for now we only have Insua.

I like the line up though, on paper, if we keep the players, still a very strong first 11.

Oh and I'm afraid you can't take captaincy away from Stevie and give it to Reina while Stevie's at club. As long as he's with us, he's my captain and always will be. When and if he leaves, then deffo Baldie :)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #21: Jun 04, 2010 01:27:11 pm
      Providing we can keep hold of the majority of our best players, there's no reason to think we should perform worse next season than this one just passed. After the injuries and terrible luck, combined with numerous off the field distractions, it's hard to imagine footballing circumstances to be as challenging for the players.

A new manager, even without transfer funds, could refresh our system. I'd hope we'd see less of Lucas and Kuyt except as replacements in case of injuries, and maybe players could be chosen on form rather than running ability - and here I mean the entire team, not excluding Gerrard, Carragher and even Kuyt, who seemed assured of a spot even when playing hopelessly bad.

The key is holding onto them, something that is out of our hands, and will be made difficult by the WC acting as a shop window.

Even then, I cross my fingers that a new manager would be able to hold out for the right price if a sale was "forced", and that we could at least replace quality with quality.

That's about as far as my optimism can stretch at the moment.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #22: Jun 04, 2010 05:53:18 pm
      That's about as far as my optimism can stretch at the moment.
      A valiant effort, mate ;D
      l2k83
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #23: Jun 04, 2010 05:57:46 pm
      I'd like to see Agger continue at left back, felt he slotted in well and a lot better defensively than Insua (and I do like this kid) and hes not too bad going forward either.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #24: Jun 04, 2010 06:17:10 pm
      Sorry to say, but I don't think Stevie, Masch or Nando will be here for us to think about how to play them in matches
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #25: Jun 04, 2010 07:28:02 pm
      Rob, I'll be blunt.

I hear you Repo man..  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: we do need to discuss the future, whether its grey or not!

just ignore idiots.. who dont even want to enter healthy debate
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #26: Jun 04, 2010 07:32:03 pm
      Sorry to say, but I don't think Stevie, Masch or Nando will be here for us to think about how to play them in matches

That's the F***ing spirit we need these days. F**k off.

Reina

Skrtel         Dagger
      Johnson                                  Insua

Mascherano

Maxi                            Babel
                          Torres

Does look good to me, that.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #27: Jun 04, 2010 08:17:40 pm
      I hear you Repo man..  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: we do need to discuss the future, whether its grey or not!

just ignore idiots.. who dont even want to enter healthy debate
      To be fair, we sorted it out via messages so there's no hard feelings about his post now.
      Let's just keep to the topic.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #28: Jun 05, 2010 09:23:19 am
      Hello Mate.

A good topic overlooked by other crap.

Me.

Simples. 4-4-2.

Pass and Move.

Bring back the Boot Room.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Jun 05, 2010 09:31:58 am

Would love to see that mentality back. Unfortunately, nothing like that will be allowed to flourish under the meddling cu*ts we have in charge right now, i feel.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Jun 05, 2010 10:21:32 am
      Hello Mate.

A good topic overlooked by other crap.

Me.

Simples. 4-4-2.

Pass and Move.

Exactly how I feel, all of it.
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #31: Jun 05, 2010 11:12:37 am
      OK.
      Off the field.
      The new owners turn up and we have a Stalinesque purge. All the current board mysteriously disappear and someone gets paid a few quid to Photoshop them out of all of the clubs official history. A new board is appointed. Everyone on the board is a Liverpool fan with a proven track record in their field, no more Chelsea supporting strike breakers. Kenny is MB tasked with ensuring that all board decisions are made with the long term health of the club in mind not short term profit,  and that all communication with the fans and media are done in the traditional Liverpool manner.
      A new manager is appointed, take your pick from LVG, GH, FR et al. I've heard that that Rafa bloke is still available, Jeez the dick that sacked him must feel like a bit of an idiot now.
      On the field
      The new manager gets each player in for a personal interview. Highlights include
      ' I'm sorry Jamie but your opportunities in the team will be limited this season, but I would be delighted if you would accept the position of Player / Assistant manager'.
      'Pepe, you are just the type of guy I'm looking for to be my captain. Here, try this armband on for size'
      'Stevie you are the best center mid in the world, but you either stop standing there with your hands on your hips sulking or I will personally drive you to the airport for your flight to Madrid.'
      'Arda, you're on the left. Some real legends have played in your position over the years. Make them proud'.
      'Wilson. You are a young lad but go out there and prove yourself. Don,t be afraid of making mistakes, Agger will look after you.'
      Mata. You are playing up front with Torres.'
      'Lahm, anything you can do to help teach Johnson how to defend will be greatly appreciated.'
      So we play

Mata   Torres

Turan         Masc     Gerrard     Maxi

Lahm        Agger      Wilson    Johnson

Pepe (c)  

We go on to totally own the league. Ferguson has a heart attack and retires in dispair with Liverpool firmly back on our perch.

Well that was fun and it took my mind of the awful reality of our situation. Thanks for the thread Reprobate.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,517 posts | 2873 
      Reply #32: Jun 05, 2010 12:04:41 pm
      Simples. 4-4-2.

Pass and Move.

Agreed completely.

Can't see it happening though.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #33: Jun 05, 2010 12:30:01 pm
      I've said it once and I'll say it again.  A traditional 4-4-2 is best played rigidly, we don't have the right players to employ such a philosophy.  Played more fluidly it creates massive holes in our defensive game allowing teams a lot of space on the ball and together with our defenders being relatively slow, we're very vulnerable on the counter especially against fast teams. 

Furthermore it closes down some good passing angles if it's too flat.  The 4-4-2 is the most balanced formation that makes good use of the wide areas of the pitch (of which we have no wide players to play in) and works quite well when you have 2 fast wingers (which we don't) who are also good crossers of the ball (none in midfield) it is however conservative and doesn't make allowance for exceptional players in either defensive (Agger/Mascherano) or offensive roles (Torres/Aquilani) for either your team or your opponent and is often useless against a 4-1-X-X based formations (which are becoming more and more common) where the other team basically refuses to play (Remember the Fulham 0-0 draw, Bolton at home every week, Sunderland when playing with Cana/Cattermole higher up, Man City under Hughes etc.) and put most of their players behind the ball.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #34: Jun 05, 2010 02:28:39 pm
      First post on this forum, but had to comment on this thread. Rumours abound at present that a takeover is on and this is why the parting of the waves with Rafa happened so soon. The new owners didn't want him and didn't want to take over the club and immediately become the bad guys sacking Rafa hence the speed of his departure.

So theres the good news

As for the bad, well its who the new manager will be, Daglish is pushing for O'Neil a young manager who has cut his teeth and is looking for a step up, lets face it if he doesn't get this job that will be his last chance at managing a true European Giant (even if a poorly one at present) He's not going to get the knock from Milan, Real Barca or the Scum now his he.

The New owners want Sven (told you it was bad news)

Anyway all might be tripe but comes from people CLAIMING to be ITK so don't shoot the messenger

YNWA
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #35: Jun 05, 2010 04:38:32 pm
      Reprobate, may you dare a little optimism? Too f**king right you can mate. With all the doom and gloom around the place it's refreshing to see people trying to look forward. What's done is done and we have to get on with it. There is absolutely no point in dwelling on the past now, we now have to adapt to a new environment, a new manager, new ideas and more than probably a new footballing philosophy. I'm not happy at all about what's happened, I'm f**king fuming to be honest but life goes on and a change is occuring. Whether that change is for the better then only time will tell, whoever the new manager is, he will have my support, I won't agree with it, but he will have my support.

I placed a similar post to this at the start of last season, when Alonso and Arbeloa had left. The post was to do with being forced to play the youngsters more often if there was insufficient investment, there was insufficient investment ( no shock there ), the youngsters didn't play more often though. I'm hoping that the new manager will be able to inject much needed enthusiasm into the squad, nobody can argue that we have looked stale during the course of last season. As previous posters have stated, there was no Plan B or Plan C. I believe we only need a Plan B, no need for Plan C, that will just confuse the issue. One positive to take from this debacle is that everyone will start with a clean slate. Some players who were possibly on their way now may stay, players may be given freedom to express themselves.

If, and again this is a big if, the owners can guarantee that any transfer money generated from player sales will be re-invested, I'd like to see quite a few deadweights shifted on. Certain players do not fit in with the Liverpool Way. Kuyt, Lucas, Riera, Degen, El Zhar, NGog and Babel could altogether generate around between 35-40 million. Add this to the reported 5 million and we could bring in 2 top quality players or 1 world class player.

I'm going to try and show how we'd absorb the loss of these players by blending in youth.

The Goalkeeper -
      We have Pepe Reina between the sticks, a better stopper in the world?, I don't b***ard think so. Diego Cavalieri, an able understudy, not the best by a long stretch, but a capable understudy nevertheless. So nothing to worry about in this department.

The Defence -
      At right back we are spoilt for choice really, Glen Johnson, the natural choice for many supporters, on his day unstoppable, on other days he's unfathomable. Stephen Darby is another player who is more than capable of holding his own, had a good spell at Swindon too. We also have the versatile Kelly as well. So you see, there is really no need for Degen at all, he has to go.

At left back we have Insua, started the season well but fell by the wayside towards the end, needs to shed a stone or so. I'd keep him first choice next season if he can reproduce his early form. Agger did a great job there when called upon so he is an option too. We also have Chris Mavinga who has impressed at both left back and centre back too this season.

Then we have the centre of defence, Carragher has still got it, I don't care what anyone says. When playing with a settled defensive unit there's nobody better at the Club, got a good 2 seasons left in him at least. Agger is going to become a legend if he can stay injury free, while Carragher is the storm and the fury, Agger is the ambience and the calm. I see so much of Alan Hansen in him, that calming presence, the way he glides with the ball. Then you have Psycho Skrtel, prone to lapses in concentration but never free from injury long enough to try and establish himself as a fixture in the first team. Ayala has done what has been asked of him and again, is another youngster who is more than capable of holding his own. Commanding in the air, something we were lacking last season. I'm not bothered about Kyrgiakos to be honest, he shored our defence up when he arrived but I'm sure Ayala could have equalled or bettered the Greek's contribution if he had been given the chance.

The Midfield -  

The biggest problem area that needs resolving. Lucas must go if we are to shed our negative output from what I believe to be the most important area of the side. He is never going to be what we need, as hard as he tries it produces nothing. Mascherano, the midfield general, the hunter, the destroyer, you will struggle to find a player with more heart and fire in the outfield last season. I also feel he upped his passing game and was more willing to strike the ball towards the back end of the season. Aquilani, showed brief glimpses of his class last season, that cannot be questioned. Often on the bench and never utilised for fear of him injuring himself, hopefully we get a manager who thinks to play him more often than not. When he plays we have a cutting edge, we move the ball quickly, unlike the much failed Plan A of last season. We also have Jay Spearing, not many people rate the lad on here, but I think that given a run in the side he can prove a lot of doubters wrong. Yes I know he's small, but so is Masch and that means f**k all to me.

When Aquilani is injured who do we play?, why Yossi Benayoun of course, it's no secret that he plays best through the middle. One of the few creative players at the Club, so let's maximise that undoubted creative potential. He has stated he'd like to stay at the Club and with a new manager he may just get his wish and play more often than not. I don't blame him for thinking about leaving us after the way he was treated recently, when we were screaming out for a creative spark in the middle he had to watch Lucas Sidewalker stifle our attack. I'd also like to see us sign Javi Martinez or Rafael van der Vaart, both top quality players that can give us that extra something from the midfield.

The Wingers -

Oh my, how we need some decent wingers. In an ideal world we'd get David Silva but that is never going to happen, is it?. Babel, Kuyt and Riera will hopefully be sold. On the other hand, would Babel and Riera respond positively to a new manager?. There's no doubt that on their day Riera and Babel can be highly effective. Both players suffer from emotional issues and insecurities, maybe a frsh face and some open encouragement may change their mindset, that would be like 2 new signings in itself. We have Pacheco, such promise, yet he was constantly ignored last season and I really felt for the lad. He's a really tricky kid is Dani and can play in a variety of positions. David Amoo is another player I'd like to see more of, fast as f**k he is. from what I've seen so far I've been impressed.

Then we have the possibility of signing Arda Turan, the rumour was that Rafa had lined up a player plus cash deal for him this summer, which would have meant Babel going in the other direction. I haven't seen much of him but he can get past his man quite consistently and can play anywhere acroos the midfield, versatility is the key component here. And last but not least, Maxi Rodriguez. I liked what I saw of him last season, he gave us stability in an area of the field that was faltering badly. Towards the end of the season his confidence grew and I have high hopes for him this season, he's had time to bed in now. I'm confident we'll see the real Rodriguez next season.

Strikers -

This is where I feel we should have no issues at all. In Torres we have the best striker on the planet, not much I can say about him that hasn't been said a million times before. The complete striker. I hope I'm right in assuming that Nemeth is coming back for the new season?. His season there was hampered by an injury in the New Year, and though he only managed 18 games, he scored 3 goals and had numerous assists. A previous winner of Reserve Team Player of The Year and Liverpool Young Player of The Year coupled with his loan spell in a very tough and hard League, I think he's ready for us. What the deal is with Jovanovic?, I don't know. From what I've read about him, many people on this forum seem to think he can do a great job for us, so I'll go with that. We also have the versatile Pacheco, who can play up front, in the hole or out wide.

And last but not least, Steven Gerrard. He can play anywhere, on his day there is no better all round footballer on the planet in my eyes. In the middle, in the hole, on the left, on the right and even up front in a 4-4-2 if need be.

Apologies if I've missed a player that others think is ready for the Squad, it's quite a condensed post and my mind is wandering with all the worry.

So there you have it. One reason why I'm not so depressed at the moment. I'm pissed Rafa has gone, but he has. It's done. Whatever manager comes in, I just hope they are attack minded. We have the players here to do a job, the youngsters are good enough. I hope we get a manager who can relate to the players better on a psychological level, a manager who can nurture players, a manager who talks to his players, a manager who knows the players, a manager who can adapt his tactics to suit different opponents and a manager who doesn't underestimate his opponents. I feel that there are very few candidates who possess these required qualities.

I'd love to see Kenny Dalglish back in the seat, but that's just me being over emotional. And as for those who say he's too outdated for the modern game?, what the f**k is all that bullshit!. Kenny Dalglish has all the attributes to be an outstanding manager, he has won trophies, he is probably the greatest player to ever wear the shirt ( and that is some statement when you take into account the legends that have put it on ). He knows the Liverpool Way inside out. His footballing brain is second to none, do people really think he's become rusty?, do people think he doesn't watch football anymore?, please, stop embarassing yourselves with such outlandish comments.

He knows how to play incisive and effective football, he knows how to outguess his opponents, he knows how to train players and their minds, he oozes legend. Players will want to play for him, players will want to run through brick walls for him, his footballing knowledge will be applicable to any era, whether that be the 70's, 80's, 90's or 00's. To argue otherwise is futile. If he comes up against a team that are nullifying his tactics, do you really think he'd be incapable of adjusting the tactics and reading the game to counter his opponents?. That is just ridiculous. A genius is befitting of any era, as is the mind of a genius also.

Kenny siad he'd never return to management, though you never know. I'm just arguing the point that he can be effective as a manager in the modern era, his brain is still ticking, it's still fresh, still full of ideas. He still watches games and analyses them inside his mind, he is football. I'm just saying that if he did take the job I'd be landed. I wouldn't mind seeing Sammy Lee in charge either, he is as passionate as anyone about the Club and I bet he is thinking he could get called into the office soon. Thommo, Roy Evans?, yeah, I'd be happy. Would I choose these four ahead of MON, Hodgson, Hughes, Jesus, Eriksson and Hiddink?. Too f**king right I would, those four know the Club, they breathe the Club, they are the Club.

YNWA.
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2010 05:05:19 pm by hardcoresoldier, Reason: Put Spearing down as a sell buy mistake »
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #36: Jun 05, 2010 05:04:38 pm
      Slightly off topic, but i had to do it.

"Lucas Sidewalker"  :lmao:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Jun 05, 2010 05:11:14 pm
      Top post Hardcore and if there is one man amongst the lot that you mentioned that would give the youth a chance to shine, I believe it would be Evans, Evans also likes to play the game the Liverpool way as we seen during his Tenure, I'd love to go back to the old boot room philosophy I've said it since Rafa left.

Give me a management/coaching set up of Thommo, Evans, Dalglish, Sammy and Rushie and give the club its identity back, I'd hate to see some no mark Hicks & Gillett yes man take over, that would just capitulate us.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #38: Jun 05, 2010 08:11:55 pm
      Top post Hardcore and if there is one man amongst the lot that you mentioned that would give the youth a chance to shine, I believe it would be Evans, Evans also likes to play the game the Liverpool way as we seen during his Tenure, I'd love to go back to the old boot room philosophy I've said it since Rafa left.

Give me a management/coaching set up of Thommo, Evans, Dalglish, Sammy and Rushie and give the club its identity back, I'd hate to see some no mark Hicks & Gillett yes man take over, that would just capitulate us.

Agree with what you're saying Blood. My only concern is that the owners would not want to implement the 'Boot Room' method. As you've said, primarily they'll set their sights on a 'Yes' man. None of the above would stand for their slimy ways.

The way they have dealt with Rafa is disgusting and slimy, just a projection of themselves.
      Djimi Traore Legend
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #39: Jun 06, 2010 12:33:01 am
      I don't think Gerrard is a wise choice in CM for big games, his positional indiscipline can be a liability against quality attacking sides, which is why against Rags, Arse, Chavs, Spurds, Citeh Villa he is justified to opt for Lucas in the middle. Like it or not Lucas is sound positioning wise, and is consistent. Which is why we need an upgrade on Lucas for the formation to work again, someone like Banega or Martinez who can dictate a game
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #40: Jun 06, 2010 01:25:00 am
      Agree with what you're saying Blood. My only concern is that the owners would not want to implement the 'Boot Room' method. As you've said, primarily they'll set their sights on a 'Yes' man. None of the above would stand for their slimy ways.

The way they have dealt with Rafa is disgusting and slimy, just a projection of themselves.

Obviously mate they would not want that all but for me this is where Kenny can earn his salt, we all know the great man has a love for this club that surpasses the wages he recieves from H&G so in my opinion I think we may just see Kenny go against H&G and do whats best for LFC in the long run.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #41: Jun 06, 2010 02:44:45 pm
      OPTIMISM!
      Cumbria Red
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #42: Jun 06, 2010 03:34:54 pm
      If the inevitable does happen and we lose Masch, Torres, Yossi, Kuyt and Gerrard I would love to see some of the extremely promising youth players drafted in. With one or two "Realistic" signings and look a little like this -

REINA (C)

Johnson                   Agger          Wilson                 Carragher

(Parker/Cattermole/Lucas)

Amoo/Babel                                   Aquilani                          Rodriguez

Jovanovic        Pacheco

Manager - Roy Hodgson or Kenny Dalglish

This is about as realistic as I can imagine us being next season, would also have Dalla Valle introduced in to the 1st team squad with Kelly/Irwin/Darby involved alot more.
      We are not going to be signing Silva, Cole, Milner I'm afraid to say. Reina a cert for the captaincy. Insua on the transfer list im afraid looked far too heavy last year, wish we still had Steven Warnock too.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #43: Jun 06, 2010 03:39:42 pm
      Can see a similar post-apocalypse team as Cumbria Red above ^

Although I'd have the Kyrgiakos with Agger at the back and Carragher would lose out to Insua at left back.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #44: Jun 06, 2010 04:08:55 pm
      I hope we revert to 4-4-2 with two "real" wingers for a start.

On a side note, people talk about we need a partner for Torres..I think we have the perfect choice in Kuyt. We all know he has limited abilities but has good ability in the air and to hold the ball up using his strength, he would take some of the knocks that Nando has had to endure playing as a lone striker under Rafa and therefore hopefully we'll see him playing more games over a season.

If we can keep the majority of them together we still have a very good team. Under the financial circumstances we could do worse than play Agger at left back and hopefully we'll see more of Pacheco, Amoo, Robinson and Kelly too.

If Masch goes, which Im sure he will...forget about the likes of Toure and go for Scott Parker and I think Maxi will continue to impress.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #45: Jun 06, 2010 04:23:07 pm
      4 1 3 2 for me with Masch holding. Lucas for his cover. Gj, Carr, Skrtel,Agger at the back
      SG C.M. Benni L.M Maxi  R.M. Aqua either in the hole or up top with Nando. I don't think that's a bad side with what we have on board. Still prob need some new options at L.B. L.M. and cover or partner  for Nando.  With no money for players, this is the best we can hope for. Still good enough for 4th before we are able to recruite.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #46: Jun 06, 2010 05:03:38 pm
      We still have a very good team with some amazingly talented youngsters waiting in the wings for their chances.I believe if we get a manger like Hodgson then I am sure we would see the clearance of dead-wood from the squad and their replacement with these young players who are just waiting to seize their moment.We would hopefully see the return of free-flowing football with two strikers playing upfront and a couple of attacking wingers who can dance,dribble and trick their way to some breath-taking goals.I hope Gerrard decides to give the new manager at least one season to prove himself and not follow the example of Owen.As much as I hate Rafa leave,I think change was the way forward as we had got quite predictable and unimaginative as a team.
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 198 posts | -8 
      Reply #47: Jun 06, 2010 07:03:57 pm
      We still have a very good team with some amazingly talented youngsters waiting in the wings for their chances.I believe if we get a manger like Hodgson then I am sure we would see the clearance of dead-wood from the squad and their replacement with these young players who are just waiting to seize their moment.We would hopefully see the return of free-flowing football with two strikers playing upfront and a couple of attacking wingers who can dance,dribble and trick their way to some breath-taking goals.I hope Gerrard decides to give the new manager at least one season to prove himself and not follow the example of Owen.As much as I hate Rafa leave,I think change was the way forward as we had got quite predictable and unimaginative as a team.

agreed. rafa leaving might give youngsters and his not favourites a chance to prove themself.

On a side note i pray to god that I will never see kuyt as a rm for us anymore.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #48: Jun 07, 2010 08:13:25 am
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/10237268.stm

"Manchester United's owners are £1.1bn in debt - £400m more than previously known - after borrowing extensively against their shopping mall business.

BBC Panorama has found evidence that the Glazer family's debt levels may threaten their hold on the club.

A spokesman for the American family has said it holds more than £2bn in assets.

But the extent of the debt owed by the Glazers is likely to fuel a continuing revolt by some supporters, who oppose their ownership of the club."

Yes.
      We could be worse. We could be in the doo as deep as the Manure.

Panorama BBC. 22.35 Tuesday June 8th.
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010 09:20:01 am by eurored »
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #49: Jun 07, 2010 08:34:50 am

Why is there a safe in there with £500 mill in it??
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #50: Jun 07, 2010 08:36:02 am
      That's the F***ing spirit we need these days. F**k off.

Reina

Skrtel         Dagger

Mascherano

Torres

This.

We have the players to implement this formation and I'd love to see it more often.

Or just keep the same formation but push the wingers up field and drop the fullbacks back a bit.

I said a few weeks ago that this team is potentially title-winning the way it is and I stick by it.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #51: Jun 07, 2010 08:38:35 am
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/10237268.stm

Yes.
      We could be worse. We could be in the doo as deep as the Manure.

Panorama BBC.
      You are correct they make our problems look like a walk in the park
      but they have a couple of ace cards we don't the main being a cue of people that want to buy them!
      Whereas we only have a chocolate monkey on a stick in our cue!!
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #52: Jun 07, 2010 08:51:29 am
      That's the f**king spirit we need these days. F**k off.

Reina

Skrtel         Dagger

Mascherano

Torres

That team actually looks really good as a starting 11 . Replace Insua with an experienced left back and Babel with Turan and then sell deadwood reserves and promote the likes of Nemeth and Pacheco and we're good to go for the next season.  I am optimistic that Gerrard , Torres and Masch will be here next season !
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #53: Jun 07, 2010 10:45:06 am
      Optimism?

Four new statues appear on North of Seaforth - one looks short and stumpy, one big and fat, one looks weasley, and the last looks like a smug git with a blue scarf. All looked shocked, as though they had been rectally violated with a bogbrush.

Now, that's optimism :)

Quick Reply