Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1115565 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #7498: May 15, 2015 02:12:57 pm
      I watched the game last night and it was my view that Napoli were a little unfortunate not to go through to be totally honest. Apparantly they dominated the first game and conceded an offside goal, while last night they were clearly the better side but just couldn't score. The only two comments I would make visa vis the management of Benitez is that clearly they are a decent team and if he's brought those players together (I've no idea if they were there when he got there or he bought them, can't be bothered to check) he hasn't done a bad job of building. Secondly, no doubt he will know why the fella with the mohican and the little pacy left winger were on the bench until the hour mark, but both looked like better quality players by quite a distance to the ones they replaced through my eyes anyway. I always had the suspicion that Benitez was a little cuter than was necessary on occasion when it came to team selection when managing us, and perhaps this was an example of that.

On the commentary though it sounds as if they still have a good chance of finishing third in the league. They still have to play Lazio who are one above them, and their game with Juventus ought to be fairly straightforward as the stripes have already p!ssed the league and have a Champions League final to rest for. Third won't be any reason to get overly excited given they had finished 2nd in the two seasons prior to his arrival (and challenged for the title), but at least it'll be something.

Football turns on fine margins, and although they were a bit unlucky as I said I think last nights defeat will mean that his tenure at Napoli can be looked upon AT BEST, as reasonable. Should they finish outside the top three though, it would probably be looked upon as being a fair bit worse than that.   
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7499: May 15, 2015 05:22:26 pm
      Do think this Napoli team could have done better,maybe lack top class keeper and centre back
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7500: May 16, 2015 12:40:26 pm
      Do think this Napoli team could have done better,maybe lack top class keeper and centre back

Just goes to show, managers need players to do the business for them.

For example: "we 'only' finished second last year because of Suarez", and Rafa won the European cup and FA cup because of Gerrard.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7501: May 16, 2015 12:45:18 pm

For example: "we 'only' finished second last year because of Suarez", and Rafa won the European cup because of Gerrard.

I prefer to think we won inspite of Djimi Traore, not because of any one player.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7502: May 16, 2015 12:49:00 pm
      I prefer to think we won inspite of Djimi Traore, not because of any one player.

I prefer to think we came second inspite of Aly Cissoko, not because of anyone player.  ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #7503: May 16, 2015 10:17:29 pm

That would be Djimi "two goalline clearances against Juve and Milan" Troare then!!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7504: May 16, 2015 10:55:09 pm
      I think in Italy Juventus win and have been winning for past 4 years because they spend 20 million more on wages than their nearest competitor Roma and 40 million more than Napoli or 60% more. Lazio spend 10 million less than Napoli but they don't compete for 3 competitions. The owner of Napoli did not invest money this year because he was waiting for CL. These things all combine.

When a manager like Guardiola or Ancellotti or Mourinho turn up they are allowed to buy the best players on top of their already talent laden squad to buy more trophies. I admire Rafa for sticking to his guns and not playing the trophy buying game. Of course the super rich clubs don't need him because they win anyway and the managers they get really don't influence that. Relying On Rafa to win a European trophy every year is difficult because like Dnipro showed in one off games a bit of luck goes a long way

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #7505: May 17, 2015 01:02:19 am
      The similarities with our own season are uncanny. Just as we squandered a golden opportunity to make the FA Cup final, so Napoli have done the same in the Coppa Italia and, even more surprisingly, the Europa League.

To beat Wolfsburg so convincingly and then go out in the semis to a side most people have never heard of must be as crushing a blow to every Neapolitan as the defeat to Villa at Wembley was for us.

Then there is the league situation, and just as we fought our way back into contention for CL football before falling away, so it seems Napoli may yet do the same.

If Napoli don't make it into the CL with three games remaining then I think as far as this season goes it will be just as easy to say that Rafa has done a Brendan as it will Brendan has done a Rafa.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7506: May 17, 2015 10:46:28 am

For example: "we 'only' finished second last year because of Suarez", and Rafa won the European cup and FA cup because of Gerrard.

They do but great managers will also get the most from weaker players or make average players become good players and be successful regularly. Depending on 1 or 2 players will only lead to a bit of success here and there
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7507: May 17, 2015 10:58:21 am
      The similarities with our own season are uncanny. Just as we squandered a golden opportunity to make the FA Cup final, so Napoli have done the same in the Coppa Italia and, even more surprisingly, the Europa League.

To beat Wolfsburg so convincingly and then go out in the semis to a side most people have never heard of must be as crushing a blow to every Neapolitan as the defeat to Villa at Wembley was for us.

Then there is the league situation, and just as we fought our way back into contention for CL football before falling away, so it seems Napoli may yet do the same.

If Napoli don't make it into the CL with three games remaining then I think as far as this season goes it will be just as easy to say that Rafa has done a Brendan as it will Brendan has done a Rafa.
      Aston villa beat us easy. Dnipro should have gone out and didn't because of an offside goal and a flood. Good for them by the way. We spent 117 million pounds napoli 20 million euro. We made last 32 of EL and Fa semis. Napoli won supercup and made semi of Coppa italia and EL. If they qualify for CL this year then it won't have been to bad. We can't beat a good team.

What we both have in common is neither of us can buy success.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #7508: May 17, 2015 02:03:58 pm
      Aston villa beat us easy. Dnipro should have gone out and didn't because of an offside goal and a flood. Good for them by the way. We spent 117 million pounds napoli 20 million euro. We made last 32 of EL and Fa semis. Napoli won supercup and made semi of Coppa italia and EL. If they qualify for CL this year then it won't have been to bad. We can't beat a good team.

What we both have in common is neither of us can buy success.

Yeah, I think they probably did come closer than we did to making the final of either of the serious cup competitions, but when you're out, you're out and the trophy ends up with someone else's name on it.

I was just making the point that when you've smashed Wolfsburg but can't get past Dnipro to make the first European final for 25 years or whatever, it is a huge missed opportunity. Likewise, when you've only won 1 major trophy in 9 seasons and get beat by Villa in the FA cup semis it's also a huge missed opportunity, though I suppose Napoli do still at least have a chance of qualifying for the CL this season.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #7509: May 17, 2015 02:53:03 pm
      Rafa's CV stand up to any of the negative half hearted comments about him. To go to Chelsea and do what he did with the entire ground and half the squad against him then thats quite an achievement.
      Napoli fans love him chelsea fans hated him buthe still won trophies at both.
      I doubt he will be back and I am not sure if it would be right for him to come back but please God Rafa dont go to west Ham take a year off or something.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7510: May 17, 2015 03:43:27 pm
      I think Rafa will be a premier league manager next season, it won't be with us though. I love the fella but I don't think him returning to us is the right thing for him, I don't think him returning to the premiership is right for him given the way the tabloids treat him.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #7511: May 17, 2015 04:06:12 pm
      Rafa's CV stand up to any of the negative half hearted comments about him. To go to Chelsea and do what he did with the entire ground and half the squad against him then thats quite an achievement.
      Napoli fans love him chelsea fans hated him buthe still won trophies at both.
      I doubt he will be back and I am not sure if it would be right for him to come back but please God Rafa dont go to west Ham take a year off or something.

Is right walt. What Rafa did at Chelsea was simply outstanding. The strength of character shown by the man to go into that Club every day, knowing how much the Chavs hated him, was unreal. His resilience and mental fortitude are infinite. Too then go and win a trophy just showed how good he is.

I think Rafa will be a premier league manager next season, it won't be with us though. I love the fella but I don't think him returning to us is the right thing for him, I don't think him returning to the premiership is right for him given the way the tabloids treat him.

Talk is mate that Fred Flintstone is leaving and the Hammers are after Rafa to replace him.

LFCexiled
      Reply #7512: May 17, 2015 05:13:01 pm
      Talk is mate that Fred Flintstone is leaving and the Hammers are after Rafa to replace him.

I'm not really up on my tabloid speculation but it wouldn't surprise me at all mate, sad thing about that is he'll be at another club with fans who think they deserve better, which is frankly laughable.

I don't think any fans will get the man as much as we do which is a sad state of affairs.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #7513: May 17, 2015 05:36:41 pm
      I'm not really up on my tabloid speculation but it wouldn't surprise me at all mate, sad thing about that is he'll be at another club with fans who think they deserve better, which is frankly laughable.

I don't think any fans will get the man as much as we do which is a sad state of affairs.

I wouldn't want him back under FSG.I respect the man too much to allow them to F**k him over
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #7514: May 17, 2015 06:24:19 pm
      I wouldn't want him back under FSG.I respect the man too much to allow them to F**k him over

I think he'd come back on his terms only, BR has been given a fair amount of cash, imagine what Rafa would have done with that amount.
      I don't think he'd have given much to Southampton if you ask me.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7515: May 17, 2015 08:43:15 pm
      I think he'd come back on his terms only, BR has been given a fair amount of cash, imagine what Rafa would have done with that amount.
      I don't think he'd have given much to Southampton if you ask me.

I'm sure Rafa would have unearthed another Reina,Agger,Mascherano,Kuyt,Garcia,Alonso, Torres etc.

Money well spent without constraints Rafa would have delivered silverware & I'm sure the title.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #7516: May 17, 2015 09:35:05 pm
      I'm sure Rafa would have unearthed another Reina,Agger,Mascherano,Kuyt,Garcia,Alonso, Torres etc.

Money well spent without constraints Rafa would have delivered silverware & I'm sure the title.

the side Stevie said was the best side he played in.
      We need a manager with the quality and experience of Rafa but I dont think FSG could handle a strong manager its the only reason Kenny was sacked and brendan got the job.
      I would have him back in a heart beat but you can see that there are people on here who would be waiting to stick theknife in at the first opportunity.
      He is a legend and no amount of snidy remarks can take away the fact this football club was ranked the NUMBER ONE CLUB IN EUROPE,
      its worth just thinking about that and reflecting on where we are today
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7517: May 17, 2015 09:43:07 pm
      the side Stevie said was the best side he played in.
      We need a manager with the quality and experience of Rafa but I dont think FSG could handle a strong manager its the only reason Kenny was sacked and brendan got the job.
      I would have him back in a heart beat but you can see that there are people on here who would be waiting to stick theknife in at the first opportunity.
      He is a legend and no amount of snidy remarks can take away the fact this football club was ranked the NUMBER ONE CLUB IN EUROPE,
      its worth just thinking about that and reflecting on where we are today

The Facht we were troubling the Chavs, Scum under Jose & Slur showed just how much they wanted Rafa out the way.

We had an aura of invincibility amongst us & given the situation with teams above us I'm sure Rafa would deliver our 19th.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #7518: May 17, 2015 09:54:21 pm

Something i've always said myself. Given the money needed, Rafa would definitely have won the Title. Unfortunately, H&G had other ideas.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #7519: May 17, 2015 10:15:45 pm
      What I wouldnt give to see Rafa and Paco back in the Liverpool dugout.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7520: May 17, 2015 10:33:04 pm
      What I wouldnt give to see Rafa and Paco back in the Liverpool dugout.

Think Paco is on the treble in Israel, Rafa has done pretty decent without him though.

Quick Reply