Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1112191 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,251 posts | 1226 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #7981: Nov 12, 2015 11:13:52 pm
      But look at the number of different teams that have won those competitions since. La Liga; Barca (7), Madrid (3) and Atletico once. Goes to show just how hard it is to win that league.

Only if you're not one of the big two, though. Otherwise you inherit an unbelievable set of resources and are expected to win the biggest trophies.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7982: Nov 12, 2015 11:38:24 pm
      Only if you're not one of the big two, though. Otherwise you inherit an unbelievable set of resources and are expected to win the biggest trophies.

Pretty much anyone but Barca. Madrid may have won it 3 times in that time but they've spent a ridiculous amount of money and Barca are still running away with titles over the last 10 years.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7983: Nov 13, 2015 12:19:40 am
      I'm not sure injuries will be a viable reason should Madrid not peg Barca back this season. They are in a duopoly and only have to worry about their biggest rivals it seems, and with Messi out they surely will never have a better chance. I actually think they'll win the league, but I've a hunch Bayern may win the Champions League, some team that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7984: Nov 13, 2015 12:59:33 am
      I'm not sure injuries will be a viable reason should Madrid not peg Barca back this season. They are in a duopoly and only have to worry about their biggest rivals it seems, and with Messi out they surely will never have a better chance. I actually think they'll win the league, but I've a hunch Bayern may win the Champions League, some team that.

A team like Madrid and Barca should never be able to blame injuries because of the amount they spend year after year, the quality of their youth players etc. Success is constant so I don't buy the injury thing for a second. It may hamper the way they play and may make them look less convincing in their wins but they should still be getting the wins none the less. Except maybe when they play each other and maybe Atletico and possibly Sevilla/Valencia at a push.

For me I think If Madrid win La Liga Barca will get the Champions League or the other way round. Just a hunch like.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #7985: Nov 19, 2015 12:59:25 pm
      Looking forward to seeing the master tactician do his stuff.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7986: Nov 19, 2015 01:48:46 pm
      Looking forward to seeing the master tactician do his stuff.

Still getting a rough time off the press in Spain,if he wins the league which I think he can & the champions league he will resign, no doubt.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #7987: Nov 20, 2015 12:24:14 pm
      Still getting a rough time off the press in Spain,if he wins the league which I think he can & the champions league he will resign, no doubt.

rumour is he only took the job because his house in Spain needed the bathroom tiling and he is a master tiler as well as a master tactician.
      LFCacrossinbirkenhead will be orgasmic if Barca win. Bale back for RM is a biggy I think rafa is grooming him to take over from the other muppet.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7988: Nov 22, 2015 01:51:49 pm
      Lost 4-0 to arch rivals Barca  :o
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7989: Nov 22, 2015 01:56:05 pm
      6 points behind Barca, some are making out it's the end of the world.

Barca lost 4-1 to Celta Vigo this season so no biggie.

Madrid ain't won the league for some time yet Rafa is supposed to walk it with the very same players this season.

There are some still in Madrid who have not forgiven Rafa winning La Liga with Valencia.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7990: Nov 22, 2015 02:27:05 pm
      6 points behind Barca, some are making out it's the end of the world.

Barca lost 4-1 to Celta Vigo this season so no biggie.

Madrid ain't won the league for some time yet Rafa is supposed to walk it with the very same players this season.

There are some still in Madrid who have not forgiven Rafa winning La Liga with Valencia.

Whichever way you look at it Shabs, getting spanked 4-0 at home to your main/only rivals isn't really what the doctor ordered. Neither is losing touch in the league, particularly as Messi has been out for Barca. It's early days yet as far as the Madrid job is concerned, but it's not exactly a storming start it's fair to say.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7991: Nov 22, 2015 02:33:24 pm
      Whichever way you look at it Shabs, getting spanked 4-0 at home to your main/only rivals isn't really what the doctor ordered. Neither is losing touch in the league, particularly as Messi has been out for Barca. It's early days yet as far as the Madrid job is concerned, but it's not exactly a storming start it's fair to say.

It's been a pretty decent start to be fair, Rafa has had his injuries to deal with too but there are plenty games to go yet.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7992: Nov 22, 2015 02:43:28 pm
      Apart from coaching New Zealand in Rugby Union being the manager of Real Madrid has to be the biggest poison chalice in sports doesn't it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7993: Nov 22, 2015 05:53:25 pm
      I love Rafa but get the feeling he hasn't got what it takes for that job.

Would it be fair to say he hasn't been the same since he and Pako parted company?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7994: Nov 22, 2015 06:01:28 pm
      I love Rafa but get the feeling he hasn't got what it takes for that job.

Would it be fair to say he hasn't been the same since he and Pako parted company?

The only trophies Rafa has not won are league titles since Valencia with Pako other than that he has won the lot.

If Pako was such a good number 2 why have none of the top teams in Europe taken him on?.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7995: Nov 22, 2015 06:25:12 pm
      It's been a pretty decent start to be fair, Rafa has had his injuries to deal with too but there are plenty games to go yet.

With the squad he has at that club, it's not a decent start at all, it's about the least one would expect considering the quality they've got.

I love Rafa too but stop creating excuses for him - all teams have injuries, he's hardly dealt with a major injury crisis there, and even so, they've got lots of quality in depth. And people "have not excused" him for winning La Liga with Valencia? What's that even supposed to mean?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7996: Nov 22, 2015 06:30:55 pm
      There's no need to dress it up as anything other than a shocking and unacceptable result. I haven't watched the match as it was on the same time as ours but by all accounts Barca were completely dominant and could have had more.

So there are no excuses and Rafa will have to take the criticism for a very poor performance on the chin, whether it's enough to see him out the door I'm not sure but one thing that does seem disturbing is the number of rumours seemingly being leaked about player unhappiness.

Do agree with Dave that Rafa has never quite been the same since he lost Pako, that I think is pretty much backed up by the results pre and post too. Gutted for him but sometimes you have to accept responsibility for a shocker and that's what this was.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,251 posts | 1226 
      Reply #7997: Nov 22, 2015 07:18:41 pm
      I watched most of the game and it's fair to say Madrid got totally annihilated by a far superior side. Even without Messi, the brilliance of Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta and co., combined with Madrid's own ineptitude, was enough to convince me that Barca ought to p!ss the league this season.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,886 posts | 704 
      Reply #7998: Nov 22, 2015 07:21:21 pm
      Out.
      Of.
      His.
      Depth.
      Again.

What do Marca say?

"The Marca website describes Rafael Benitez as a "sitting duck", Now or in June. The sacking of Benitez only lacks a date because the decision has already been taken after the debacle suffered by Real Madrid against Barcelona in the Bernabeu," Marca published on Sunday."

0-4 by the pighead throwers at home, is unprecedented in recent Clasico history. He now stands 6 points behind, with Real 4 (away) goals behind on head to head, and behind on goal difference, so that's the equivalent of 2 extra points to catch.

8 points down after 12 games. I reckon "June" might be "optimistic".
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7999: Nov 22, 2015 07:22:28 pm
      Must admit I was a little shocked by the 4-0 scoreline. One thing you can usually rely on is for Rafa to get things right in the one off big games.

I have read about the "unhappy players", and I suppose if Rafa has a major fault it is that he doesn't spend enough time and energy getting the players/staff on side, so that when he does really need them maybe sometimes they don't show up.

I think Rafa's teams always get stronger as the season goes on, so I do expect things will improve, but I don't think the Madrid fans were ever too keen on Rafa so maybe the pressure will build if the performances don't improve quickly enough.

I still believe Rafa will bring success to Madrid but I don't think he will stay there very long.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8000: Nov 22, 2015 08:50:47 pm
      Rafael Benitez heads for the Bernabéu exit as Cristiano Ronaldo joins the great Real Madrid protest

The end? Benitez's future at Real Madrid is already beginning to look bleak

By Oliver Brown, at the Bernabeu

Following Barcelona's comprehensive 4-0 win in La Liga, Florentino Perez's hand may be forced as reports emerge of Ronaldo's dressing-room politicking

Twenty-four hours on, the mutinous murmurs had still to subside. So shattering was Real Madrid’s 4-0 thrashing at the hands of Barcelona’s aesthetes that Cristiano Ronaldo, whose relationship with manager Rafael Bení­tez appeared frayed beyond repair, reputedly told team-mates in the BernabĂ©u dressing room: “Either he goes, or I go.”

One needs no detailed instruction in the habits of Florentino PĂ©rez, who has worked his way through 13 coaches in 15 years, to know which option the notoriously impatient club president is more likely to take. But the blame for this mortifying result has fallen as much upon PĂ©rez as Bení­tez, and it was at the 68-year-old billionaire that Real’s restive supporters expressed their opprobrium, waving white placards in surrender after Luis SuĂĄrez’s second goal set the seal on a night of unmitigated anguish.

No team set up by Bení­tez, conservative to his core, are conditioned to lose 4-0 at home. Rather, it is PĂ©rez’s insistence that he sends out a starting XI studded with more stars than some constellations, while Bení­tez is left looking like the hapless fall-guy when it all goes as hideously wrong as it did here. Real’s fans, as they made clear by angrily chasing several VIP cars along Calle de Padre DamiĂĄn long after the final whistle, have grown sick of PĂ©rez’s perpetual revolution and his myopic obsession with marquee names. They recognise that a dismal run yielding just one La Liga title in seven years could soon become eight, now Barca have carved out a six-point lead that they scarcely look like relinquishing.

In the immediate aftermath, Real’s ruling junta sought to quell the insurrection as only they knew how, by playing club anthem Hala Madrid at deafening volume over the BernabĂ©u tannoy to drown out 80,000 piercing whistles of disdain. The spectacle, however, was even more powerful than the sound. Everywhere you turned, Real fans were fluttering white signs or white handkerchiefs in a quintessentially Spanish display of displeasure.

They also cheered Andrés Iniesta, an ageless inspiration for Barcelona, to the rafters when he was substituted with 12 minutes left. The applause was carefully calculated: they had offered a similarly effusive reaction to Ronaldinho a decade earlier, when the Brazilian orchestrated a 3-0 Barca triumph at Real. On both occasions, the rationale was the same, with conspicuous shows of admiration for the hated Catalan enemy designed to cause maximum embarrassment for Pérez and his board.

The players’ verdicts mirrored the feeling of unease. Luka Modric, who alongside Toni Kroos had delivered one of the worst holding midfield performances in El Clásico history, was at a loss to explain himself. “I think we weren’t on the pitch,” the Croatian said, bluntly. “When we are a team we are very good, but when we are not it is difficult.” Few conveyed this disunity as starkly as Ronaldo, who has never been so tepid in the all-white strip. There were moments when he seemed as if he would rather still be on the sofa with Jonathan Ross, promoting the latest film about his life, than doing anything that might save Bení­tez’s skin.

Real’s record goalscorer has made no secret of his distaste for the Spaniard’s containing tactics and delivered the type of listless turn that suggested he would lean on PĂ©rez to issue the P45 forms there and then.

The more fits of pique Ronaldo throws, the stronger the rumours that he will decamp to Paris St Germain or Manchester United become. His behaviour is unfair on Bení­tez, who is guilty of nothing more than trying to fashion a team in his own image despite constant pressure from above. The manager was explicitly asked whether he felt hamstrung by PĂ©rez’s demands – naturally, he denied it – given that at least two of his actions here suggested as much.

Firstly, he brought on Isco to replace James Rodrí­guez, when the self-evident choice was to hook a dreadfully out-of-sorts Gareth Bale. With each match, the sense mounts that Bale, PĂ©rez’s ÂŁ86 million poster-child, must play at all costs, however fruitless his toil. Secondly, Bení­tez betrayed his instincts by leaving out Casemiro – the one player he had credited with lending a balance to this Real team – in favour of the superstars. The ensuing mismatch, as Modric and Kroos laboured pitifully in trying to unsettle a dazzling Barca midfield of Iniesta, Ivan Rakitic and Sergio Busquets, was a glaring indictment of PĂ©rez’s one-track philosophy.

If you wanted a reflection of Barcelona’s effortless superiority, it came within three seconds of the kick-off, as Busquets befuddled Bale with the cutest little feint. It would prove the cue for a crushing demolition. Suárez teed off the rout by bending the ball into the far corner from Sergi Roberto’s visionary pass, before Neymar hared past Danilo with ease to squeeze a shot underneath Keylor Navas that doubled the lead.

The signature flourish belonged to Iniesta, feeding off some gorgeous interplay with Neymar and then rifling his strike hard and true beyond the hapless Navas. It fell to Suárez, aptly, to complete this act of elegant destruction, as he clipped his finish over the Real goalkeeper’s head. In all of these captivating passages of play, one could be forgiven for not noticing the reintroduction of a certain Lionel Messi. While Messi – all but guaranteed to win a fifth Ballon d’Or in January despite spending the past two months sidelined with injury, returned seamlessly to the fold, manager Luis Enrique was asked it would be difficult reintegrating him in the long term, when Suárez and Neymar have scored 20 of Barcelona’s last 21 league goals.

“Problema de la hostia!” Enrique shot back. Roughly translated, this meant a “very large problem”, with a strong expletive thrown in. How the suffering Bení­tez must covet the luxury of such difficulties. His next two games, a dead Champions League rubber against Shakhtar Donetsk and a domestic trip to Eibar, afford scant chance of atonement. By then, the trigger-happy PĂ©rez could well have made the most pressing decision for him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/la-liga/12010827/Rafael-Benitez-heads-for-the-Bernabeu-exit-as-Cristiano-Ronaldo-joins-the-great-Real-Madrid-protest.html
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8001: Nov 22, 2015 11:20:05 pm
      Incredible how things can turn sour so quickly. They had the best defence in Europe only a couple of weeks ago and now it looks over for Rafa.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #8002: Nov 23, 2015 01:02:16 am
      What's the point in trying to manage a club so obsessed with it's image and superficial-ness, as much as it is it's football. Having that bloke in Perez above demanding this and that, with that vain c**t Ronaldo below trying to pull rank.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8003: Nov 23, 2015 03:58:13 am
      Out.
      Of.
      His.
      Depth.
      Again.

What do Marca say?

"The Marca website describes Rafael Benitez as a "sitting duck", Now or in June. The sacking of Benitez only lacks a date because the decision has already been taken after the debacle suffered by Real Madrid against Barcelona in the Bernabeu," Marca published on Sunday."

0-4 by the pighead throwers at home, is unprecedented in recent Clasico history. He now stands 6 points behind, with Real 4 (away) goals behind on head to head, and behind on goal difference, so that's the equivalent of 2 extra points to catch.

8 points down after 12 games. I reckon "June" might be "optimistic".

Barcelona have won 5 of the last 7 titles with Villanova, Guardiola and Enrique coaching with a 2nd under Martino and Guardiola. Whilst Madrid have finished 2nd and 3rd and won once, under Pellegrini, Mourinho and Ancellotti.

This last happened to Real when Perez once before stacked the team with Galactico's and resigned his tenure in 2006 ..."Florentino PĂ©rez resigned last night as president of Real Madrid, effectively admitting that his policy of filling the team with high-profile attacking players - galĂĄcticos - had been a failure.

Statistics prove the point: Real have not won a major trophy since 2003, sit 10 points behind their great rivals Barcelona in the league after defeat to struggling Real Mallorca at the weekend, were knocked out of Spain's domestic cup competition in a humiliating 6-1 thrashing by Real Zaragoza and lost 1-0 at home to Arsenal in the Champions League quarter-final first leg last week. "

You have jumped on the bandwagon too soon my old mate. The article decrying Rafa was written to take the heat off Perez .. i.e. to buy him time.
      Rafa probably made a mistake going their, definitely if you see the line up he played. Rafa never would play without defensive solidity. now he will be made a scape goat by Ronaldo and Perez. I don't believe for a second that he would not be able to make that squad hum. Whether he could beat BArcelona to the league this year.. probably not. Could he win the CL .. definitely. However, to do that he would need to solve the Ronaldo problem and that is tricky.

Quick Reply