Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1104512 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9453: Mar 11, 2017 09:57:55 pm
      Put us in the Championship and we'd be promoted by Christmas mate, be serious. I'm not saying we'd do a Celtic this season, but then nobody in any league I've ever heard of has done that. We'd p!ss it though, we'd have the best player in each position in the league. Not unlike Newcastle in many respects.

Don't forget, our team struggles vs the lesser teams :p

As Shabs mentioned, the football is actually of high quality in the Championship, and it requires more physicality in my opinion. And yes, I do watch a good few random games when there is nothing else to watch!

Tbh, I bet Newcastle could do what Celtic are doing if they played their trade in the Scottish womens league, it really is an atrocious league. Put Rafa at Celtic and he would probably do what Rodgers is doing now with an added bonus, probably still be in CL :o
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #9454: Mar 12, 2017 11:51:52 pm
      Quote from -LFC
      They've had a few performance like that this season. Top of the league and just when you expect them to pull away, they trip themselves up with a strange looking result.

We know the feeling. Multiple times over. The Reading jinx struck again in midweek. Then the Fulham one at the weekend. Somehow he's turned a comfortable lead into a goal difference advantage. Not the first time this season either.

Meanwhile, one of the heroes of Istanbul, and another unfortunate victim of his many fallouts down the years, Xabi Alonso announced his retirement this week. Another hero of Istanbul, Jamie Carragher, paid a detailed tribute to him at the weekend, while berating Benitez, as I did, for trying to have him sold, and letting him go when we didn't have to, the year after. But the then European Champion was not considered as essential to the team as Gareth Barry.

In the years since, Barry has gone across the road, while Xabi has won multiple honours at club and international level across the world. So it's clear who was the better option.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #9455: Mar 13, 2017 01:06:13 am
      We know the feeling. Multiple times over. The Reading jinx struck again in midweek. Then the Fulham one at the weekend. Somehow he's turned a comfortable lead into a goal difference advantage. Not the first time this season either.

Meanwhile, one of the heroes of Istanbul, and another unfortunate victim of his many fallouts down the years, Xabi Alonso announced his retirement this week. Another hero of Istanbul, Jamie Carragher, paid a detailed tribute to him at the weekend, while berating Benitez, as I did, for trying to have him sold, and letting him go when we didn't have to, the year after. But the then European Champion was not considered as essential to the team as Gareth Barry.

In the years since, Barry has gone across the road, while Xabi has won multiple honours at club and international level across the world. So it's clear who was the better option.

Xabi Alfonso was pretty poor 07-08 and him and Rafa had a falling out. Xabi has said he was determined to leave in 2009
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9456: Mar 13, 2017 01:26:00 am
      Xabi Alfonso was pretty poor 07-08 and him and Rafa had a falling out. Xabi has said he was determined to leave in 2009

I don't think he was poor, but you are right, it has been mentioned by Xabi himself that from the Inter match on wards, their relationship was different, so understandable why Rafa wanted Barry and to sell Xabi.

Another thing to take note, we had to sell to buy, and Rafa wanted a new midfielder, so the most logical thing was to sell Alonso because of the relationship break down, but Juventus and Arsenal didn't want to cough up 15m?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9457: Mar 13, 2017 10:44:50 am
      Been following the footy in the championship & I tell you what mate there's some great football being played in that league..
      There is no guarantee getting back into the PL of first time asking as it's so competitive over the 46 games with domestic cups thrown in..

I would be well chuffed to see Benitez back in the PL alongside Klopp,Guardiola,Conte,Jose,Pochettino,Wenger... Just going to be very difficult...

But...

Chris Houghton deserves a lot of credit in what he has achieved with BHA, loved what he achieved with Newcastle but unfairly removed my Ashley..could end up similar for Rafa.

IF the current top 3 get promoted then there's going to be 3 very good footballing sides coming into the league next year. I worry about Huddersfield's scoring power at times but everything between the penalty areas is really good to watch.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,279 posts | 8590 
      Reply #9458: Mar 16, 2017 04:49:47 pm

Stop being a grade A c**t, if you don't know the real reason Xabi was sold then F**k off commenting, he wasn't binned by Rafa, he was the only saleable asset we had. Honestly ask yourself what the fume would of been like had we sold Gerrard or Torres ahead of Xabi, as they were the only other players at the time that would of got us the £30 million we needed to pay the interest on the loan taken out by G & H. Plus do you really think Xabi would of turned down a move to Real Madrid?

Funny how even when Rafa fell out with Xabi, he still used him within the squad, you keep missing that bit out!!

Glad Rafa is doing well in the champonship and good to see the three teams fighting out at the top of the championship are all playing good football.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #9459: Mar 18, 2017 08:32:13 am
      Quote from Alfie2510

This subject has been debated here before, and the same arguments get rehashed every time. I brought it up now because of what Carra said. As he was very much in the loop at the time, if he holds Rafa responsible for why they fell out, and insists we didn't have to sell Alonso in 2008 or 2009 while under contract, then I have no reason to say he's lieing.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9460: Mar 18, 2017 01:31:09 pm
      This subject has been debated here before, and the same arguments get rehashed every time. I brought it up now because of what Carra said. As he was very much in the loop at the time, if he holds Rafa responsible for why they fell out, and insists we didn't have to sell Alonso in 2008 or 2009 while under contract, then I have no reason to say he's lieing.

Maybe not lying, maybe underinformed about the financial situation.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #9461: Apr 07, 2017 09:17:02 pm

Rafa Benitez to make separate visit to memorial for the 96 at Hillsborough ahead of Newcastle game

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-make-separate-visit-12864407
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,491 posts | 1479 
      Reply #9462: Apr 08, 2017 01:43:20 pm

Rafa Benitez to make separate visit to memorial for the 96 at Hillsborough ahead of Newcastle game

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-make-separate-visit-12864407
      Just to add to your post shabs
      https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/jft96?lang=en
      Brilliant gesture as always from Rafa & the geordies.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9463: Apr 08, 2017 01:49:04 pm

He has done so much for those families. A credit to humanity let alone football!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #9464: Apr 08, 2017 01:49:52 pm
      Just to add to your post shabs
      https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/jft96?lang=en
      Brilliant gesture as always from Rafa & the geordies.

That's class.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #9465: Apr 08, 2017 02:27:36 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #9466: Apr 09, 2017 11:25:35 am
      With their resources should have had the league already wrapped up.

Making a bit of a meal of it but have enough of a gap on third.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9467: Apr 10, 2017 06:45:15 pm
      With their resources should have had the league already wrapped up.

Making a bit of a meal of it but have enough of a gap on third.

You should know from the Premier League that resources don't mean everything. Look at what United have spent over the last few years yet Leicester have had more success than them.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #9468: Apr 10, 2017 06:54:02 pm
      You should know from the Premier League that resources don't mean everything. Look at what United have spent over the last few years yet Leicester have had more success than them.

In this case resources also means having the best manager in the league.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #9469: Apr 10, 2017 07:07:06 pm
      In this case resources also means having the best manager in the league.

Chris Houghton is a very good manager & one of the best in the championship..he has had plenty time to work & understand the league & competiton...

Rafa has his fist season & has done very well... Look at Villa, big spenders but struggling..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #9470: Apr 10, 2017 07:10:26 pm
      Chris Houghton is a very good manager & one of the best in the championship..he has had plenty time to work & understand the league & competiton...

Rafa has his fist season & has done very well... Look at Villa, big spenders but struggling..

Houghton should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Rafa, like I said they have slightly underperformed imo.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,279 posts | 8590 
      Reply #9471: Apr 10, 2017 07:46:35 pm
      Houghton should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Rafa, like I said they have slightly underperformed imo.

But they haven't really, in the two automatic promotion places, not likely to be caught by Huddersfield.

Job done imo.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9472: Apr 11, 2017 08:21:50 am
      One of his biggest fans and despite him locking away an automatic place I was expecting him to walk it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #9473: Apr 11, 2017 09:23:21 am
      One of his biggest fans and despite him locking away an automatic place I was expecting him to walk it.

I never mate, the championship is one very tough league, I expected Huddersfield to win the league, but Houghton once again showing why he is such a good manager... Done it with the Geordies last time too..

Rafa's remit was a return to the PL, he is almost there..
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9474: Apr 11, 2017 12:38:03 pm
      I never mate, the championship is one very tough league, I expected Huddersfield to win the league, but Houghton once again showing why he is such a good manager... Done it with the Geordies last time too..

Rafa's remit was a return to the PL, he is almost there..

Nah mate not for me he's a world class manager with pedigree above the championship. He brought in a lot of new players and outspent everyone barring Villa should have been 10 clear.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #9475: Apr 11, 2017 12:57:02 pm
      Nah mate not for me he's a world class manager with pedigree above the championship. He brought in a lot of new players and outspent everyone barring Villa should have been 10 clear.

World class & a class above the rest in the championship but he could have come stuck, look at the first 3 games,it could have gone pair shaped for him from then on & thankfully with shrewd buying he has done well & factor in injuries to key players & some shooting self in foot football from his players..

Love him to bits.

Quick Reply