Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are England overrated in this World Cup?

Yes
      (60%)
      No
      (28%)
      Don't care
      (12%)

Vote: Are England overrated?

Read 5275 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Vote: Are England overrated?
      Jun 19, 2010 08:58:52 pm
      After last nights display by a 'team' of players going missing in action bringing the boo boys out in full force. I was wondering what people who aren't from England think about these so called superstars out of their comfort zone of foreign players playing around them, week in, week out. *cough Lampard cough*

In this World Cup, are we seeing an overrated England team?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,217 posts | 1646 
      Re: Vote: Are England overrated?
      Reply #1: Jun 19, 2010 09:37:30 pm
      To be fair, this is the same group of players basically that made the last 8 in 2006.

So even if they are over-rated (IMO) they should still be managing to make the same progress, especially considering the standard of teams in the group, and the fact they have a much better manager.

They constantly refer to the pressure they are under, but it's no different to that of Brazil (as I'm sure Diego will point out) where Dunga is under massive pressure, and the media want him out. Domenech is under massive pressure, Maradona has his reputation on the line.

So it's not as if it's only England under the this massive pressure. However one thing that I will give them, is that their fans are F***ing faggots that will turn on them for anything.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: Jun 19, 2010 09:57:32 pm
      Bit of an odd question. Think it's obvious England as a team aren't performing as expected, doesn't that make them overrated by definition?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Jun 19, 2010 10:18:22 pm
      They are not overrated. They consist of quality players from all around England.

They are just under-performing, like they do as usual. Can't recall their last convincing win.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jun 19, 2010 10:19:22 pm
      Bit of an odd question. Think it's obvious England as a team aren't performing as expected, doesn't that make them overrated by definition?
      They are not overrated. They consist of quality players from all around England.

They are just under-performing, like they do as usual. Can't recall their last convincing win.

Yep.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,217 posts | 1646 
      Reply #5: Jun 19, 2010 10:21:15 pm

They might contain quality players, but as a team, they are over-rated. They are always seen as one of the favourites at every major tournament, but on what evidence? Fail to perform on a regular basis!!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #6: Jun 19, 2010 10:21:18 pm
      Load of sh*te. They're players, not a team.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Jun 19, 2010 10:23:14 pm
      They might contain quality players, but as a team, they are over-rated. They are always seen as one of the favourites at every major tournament, but on what evidence? Fail to perform on a regular basis!!

Yeah. I can't recall they won a game convincingly. But before the world cup, I've said that Portugal, England and France are teams that have good players but don't gel and play well as a team.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Jun 19, 2010 10:25:25 pm
      Trouble is, everyone expects them to do wonders at the World Cup, and when they don't, the media and everyone can't wait to bring them down a peg or two, knock them off their perch so to speak.

It's best not to expect them to do well, then you won't be disappointed.

I don't think they're overrated as such, they're just not performing to the best of their ability.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 19, 2010 10:37:08 pm
      i dont think that england are overated.i think that they are playing the wrong sort of football with the wrong players. i also believe that some of the players bring their club rivilary onto the pitch with them!
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2010 12:51:03 am
      We think were better than we are as a nation in fairness

You can see the mass hysteria surrounding the team but you only need to look at the squad we have to see the big problems we have

After Rooney up front then there is literally nothing at all to back him up

Midfield there is Stevie G and fat Frank but that's it

Defence is probably our strongest

Goal keeping is shocking
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Jun 20, 2010 12:56:13 am
      They aren't overrated, cos anyone i speak to doesn't rate them at all at all.

I bet on the Argies beating the Dutch in the final, haven't seen anything to make me change my mind......yet!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #12: Jun 20, 2010 12:58:39 am
      And more.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,513 posts | 2873 
      Reply #13: Jun 20, 2010 01:21:23 am
      Overrated by educated fans? No.

Overrated by the press and stupid fans? Yes.

I believe that this England squad can reach the semi-finals and I don't think I'm overrating them in the process. There's potential but various factors are leading to underperform. The fact the F***ing media will shoot everyone down unless England win doesn't help. Let these players play with less pressure and everyone will reap the rewards.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #14: Jun 20, 2010 01:31:47 am
      Overrated by educated fans? No.

Overrated by the press and stupid fans? Yes.

I believe that this England squad can reach the semi-finals and I don't think I'm overrating them in the process. There's potential but various factors are leading to underperform. The fact the F***ing media will shoot everyone down unless England win doesn't help. Let these players play with less pressure and everyone will reap the rewards.
      Know where you're going with this mate but Jesus wept these are supposedly professional athletes and any pressure off the dickhead media or mentally challenged supporters should be entirely irrelevant, the answer to any performance issues is on their shoulders.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,513 posts | 2873 
      Reply #15: Jun 20, 2010 01:34:05 am
      Know where you're going with this mate but Jesus wept these are supposedly professional athletes and any pressure off the dickhead media or mentally challenged supporters should be entirely irrelevant, the answer to any performance issues is on their shoulders.

Get your point but I'm saying it's just a factor.

I mean it ain't helping when the media have come down on the team like they have when a win will send England through and most likely top of the group.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #16: Jun 20, 2010 01:39:27 am
      They certainly have the players but they're just lacking something. Whether It's just that Capello has it wrong tactically or the players don't gel or it's just the wrong crop of players I really don't know.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #17: Jun 20, 2010 01:58:50 am
      Get your point but I'm saying it's just a factor.

I mean it ain't helping when the media have come down on the team like they have when a win will send England through and most likely top of the group.
      Totally agree and we know full well what the media circus is capable of, if the lads are being affected by the journalistic sh*te that could be the reason that the LFC contingent have shone - they are accustomed to the sniping and ignore it.
      « Last Edit: Jun 20, 2010 02:04:51 am by stuey »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,164 posts | 3388 
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2010 03:13:52 am
      Get off their backs everyone. They're not overrated. They're performing above expectation. I mean to get draws with the massive footballing nations like America and Algeria takes some doing. Not many teams will get a point of either of these, let alone both. I think we should be slightly fairer on the England lads. ;)
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2010 03:15:16 am
      I haven't really seen anyone questioning Capello, which surprises me. He's the highest paid manager at the World Cup, I can't really see why. I can't say much about the qualification and friendlies of England, because I haven't seen most of them, but what I've seen at the World Cup, doesn't show much competence on Capello's part. And I know Capello is a great manager, he's very succesful at club level, but he's completely unproven and inexperienced in managing a national side. Any successful manager on a national side level will say there's vast differences between managing clubs and national sides. It takes a completely different approach.

Everybody will agree that Heskey doesn't belong in the first 11. Rooney just had his best season and he's being played out of position? Gerrard being played on the left? And then the whole keeper situation, I think most will agree that Joe Hart is the best you have. And I think it's clear that the keeper position has been the most insecure and questioned position in the team. Then what good will it do to wait till 2 hours before the game to tell Green or whatever keeper that he's playing? Is that going to give him any confidence towards his position and the game? No, it only brings more stress, pressure and insecurity during preperations and during the game. And Capello can say that it's what he always does, well, he hasn't always managed a national side at a World Cup has he.

And WTF is Beckham doing on the bench? Imagine Ballack doing that for Germany, how's that going to do any good? Does the english team really need Beckham that much that even his presence will make you better? F**k off!!

/end drunken rant
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #20: Jun 20, 2010 03:57:12 am
      Highest scoring nation in Europe.

Most chances created in UEFA qualifying.

Stage fright when it comes to the World Cup.

We'll get through. Then we'll get going. One goal is all it'll take, I guarantee it. Then you'll all see.

And for the record, I voted NO.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Jun 20, 2010 04:00:22 am
      Stage fright when it comes to the World Cup.

Not a good thing that though is it mate.

I reckon it's a manager thing and FA thing.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #22: Jun 20, 2010 04:06:04 am
      Nope. They're over-pressured, under-confidenced, over-managed and under-performing.

The fans don't help. The media doesn't help. Capello doesn't help and the players don't help themselves.

Quick Reply