Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Kenny Dalglish should be crowned King of the Kop once more

Read 2883 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Jun 23, 2010 12:38:43 pm

The Mirror

Kenny Dalglish has made it clear – through friends and family – that he wants the Liverpool job.

Speaking to those people close to him, all have a very similar message… quite simply, no matter how long he has been out of the game, he still retains the hunger to succeed as a top-flight manager.

As a journalist, I have covered three different teams managed by Kenny, and at each club, he has exuded a real sense that he is true football man, who cares passionately about the game, and has a deep understanding of its nuances.

Which is exactly what is needed at Anfield right now. The club is in a mess. They have owners who still won’t sell - despite some perfectly reasonable offers on the table – because of a ridiculously myopic view of what the business is worth.

They seem to lack leadership at the top, too, where the amateur bumblings into the world of football by two Yanks who know diddly squat about the sport has left an embarrassing vacuum which has not come close to being filled.

Which means that the decision to sack Rafa Benitez took a preposterously long time, and was handled in a terrible way. And now the decision to appoint a successor has been conducted in the same agonising manner.

What is needed at Liverpool right now is decisive action. It doesn’t need a couple of Americans saying they have heard some random, unsuitable coach is the right man for the job, and so let’s go get him.

What it needs is real football knowledge. Apparently, Dalglish was employed to provide that in the selection process, and after careful deliberation he came to the conclusion that he is the right man for the job.

What he can do is bring rival, warring factions together, and appease those who are still clinging onto an understandable grievance about the nature of Benitez’s departure.

His qualities are what is required at Liverpool right now. He is a football man, who cares about the club, and has a sense of calm authority that has been missing for too long at Anfield.

Roy Hodgson also possesses these qualities, and for all the unfair criticism aimed at him by some Liverpool fans, he too would be a fine choice to bring some dignity to a club that has shown precious little in recent years.

But if Kenny wants the job, if he does come out and suggest he is ready to take it, then he clearly would be an outstanding choice, no matter how long he has been out of the game, and especially if he has a talented young coach alongside him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Kenny Dalglish should be crowned King of the Kop once more
      Reply #1: Jun 23, 2010 01:21:40 pm
      Trouble is Kenny is too close to the fans for him to be appointed.  The board have no intention of giving us another hero after so deliberately removing Rafa, they want a yes man who won't stand in their way when players decide to leave.
      sonicgeeza
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      • Our History Is Untouchable
      Reply #2: Jun 23, 2010 01:39:10 pm
      I think the final line is telling. Almost feels like a plant. Kenny with a young coach learning the ropes? Carra?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Jun 23, 2010 01:41:17 pm
      Trouble is Kenny is too close to the fans for him to be appointed.  The board have no intention of giving us another hero after so deliberately removing Rafa, they want a yes man who won't stand in their way when players decide to leave.

Spot on.

That is why we will see Kenny most probably leave the club.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #4: Jun 23, 2010 02:01:07 pm
      Well he is the Kingmaker isn't it not up to him and Purslow ? If he wants it and doesnt get it,it just proves that he had no say whatsoever !
      Purslow what a slimey c**t.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #5: Jun 23, 2010 04:58:12 pm
      Best case senario:

Kenny is new manager
      Yanks F**k off
      Star players stay & improve
      Nice rich owners give Kenny actual transfer funds-
      LFC is back where it belongs- on top.

Im sure i dont need to tell anyone what the worst case is...

But i am sure IF kenny gets the managers job- all these things will fall into place.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 23, 2010 05:29:01 pm
      Possible ^
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #7: Jun 24, 2010 12:08:38 pm

Correctamundo Debs, the last thing the board (read H&G) want is a manager that will want any money to improve the squad, in other words somebody like Kenny who loves the club and has only it's success at heart, not the C.V. they want to contemplate.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #8: Jun 24, 2010 09:58:07 pm
      He has been been out of management for some time...
      Would he be able to adjust to the modern game?
      Realistically, it would be asking a lot but then again he is the King.... :)
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Jun 24, 2010 10:19:00 pm
      It would be asking alot- but Sami Lee & the rest of the staff will help him out!
      If lfc needs any one man at the moment- its him!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #10: Jun 24, 2010 10:20:11 pm
      I like Sami but sorry after his debacle at Bolton he is not the man for the job.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,283 posts | 934 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #11: Jun 24, 2010 10:24:08 pm
      What about Kenny and Steve Nichol
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #12: Jun 24, 2010 10:24:41 pm
      Im not too fussed about who his right-hand man is, Kenny & whoever!
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 24, 2010 10:35:41 pm
      kenny for me would be the best short term solution we could wish for. he would bring in the passion of what it is to wear the beloved red shirt and he would play players who had the desire to see the greatest club rise to where they should be.
       come on kenny  you get my vote any day !!!!!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Jun 25, 2010 12:20:25 am
      If he was to become King of the Kop again then he would be made to become the Peasant of the Kop by the owners.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #15: Jun 25, 2010 12:21:02 am
      Kenny should at least be given the job in the short term, until we gat new owners in and everything settles dow. Trouble is, as was said earlier, the yanks don't want anyone who is popular with the fans in charge, as that only puts more pressure on them. That's why they contrived to get Rafa out. They are trying to drive divisions through the club so they get a free hand in everything they want to do without the fans having a go. With the manager being a yes man like Hodgson, they have made their first step in that direction.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #16: Jun 25, 2010 10:49:55 am
      As much as we all love Kenny for his past glories, there is no reason why his appointment would be a success. For a start, he bottle it last time round when there was nowhere near as much pressure on the club to perform both on and off the pitch. But the biggest problem is that the yanks are still in charge and will be for some time. Therefore, you need to ask yourself, can Kenny get us challenging for the title without a pot to piss in? I doubt it as, unfortunately, big money is required for success these days. If Kenny became the new manager I think his failure would be inevitable and it would tarnish his image and record. Until we have new owners we might as well not even bother.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #17: Jun 25, 2010 10:54:50 am
      Kenny should at least be given the job in the short term, until we gat new owners in and everything settles dow. Trouble is, as was said earlier, the yanks don't want anyone who is popular with the fans in charge, as that only puts more pressure on them. That's why they contrived to get Rafa out. They are trying to drive divisions through the club so they get a free hand in everything they want to do without the fans having a go. With the manager being a yes man like Hodgson, they have made their first step in that direction.

I don't think the yanks are worried about having a popular manager. They want out, and a popular manager would mean happy fans and happy players. If everything is rosey we're a more attractive financial proposition so it's in their best interests to still do whats best for the club in order to get a good price. But then again, they are fuckwits.....
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #18: Jun 25, 2010 10:58:00 am
      Trouble is Kenny is too close to the fans for him to be appointed.  The board have no intention of giving us another hero after so deliberately removing Rafa, they want a yes man who won't stand in their way when players decide to leave.

Spot on. Although from greedy point of view, I would love Kenny to come in and take the job and we would be back to normal. But, I think it is too much of a fairytale and won't happen. I think it could only end in tears :'(.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3739 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #19: Jun 25, 2010 10:58:55 am
      In the first picture, what is that trophy on his left?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,596 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Jun 25, 2010 12:53:41 pm
      Spot on.

That is why we will see Kenny most probably leave the club.

Agreed, this is a shambles.

Personally he should be the new man, or at least Assistant to a new younger man.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 25, 2010 01:40:06 pm
      I hope Kenny doesn't leave LFC!
      red phoenix
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 25, 2010 02:05:29 pm
      Kenny returning as manager fills me with a feeling of dread, and not because I don't want him there but because I don't think he'll get the right support from a board that just doesn't get what the club and especially Kenny means to us. I don't want history to be tarnished by an appointment that relies on passion without cold hard cash to back up the ambition to be the best again

Quick Reply