Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Roy Hodgson - A New Era or a False Dawn?

Read 10422 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Roy Hodgson - A New Era or a False Dawn?
      Reply #46: Jul 09, 2010 03:05:28 am
      Fair post, DLS. Many good points made, especially regarding our past greats.

RedRoy, I suggest you put your faith into Woy, as he's the only one we've got right now.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #47: Jul 09, 2010 03:37:29 am
      Even fucken Sir Booze Nose took 6 years to win something and Roy Hodgson hasn't even had 1 game in charge yet . A bit early for the doom and gloom brigade yet isn't it . Unfortuntely with the situation your club is in what other "top" manager would want to take on the role , or how many are available even .
      Surely if Roy can do what he did last season with Fulham , he can do the same or better with Liverpool . If your squad can stay together somewhat without too many leavin for other clubs you can give one or more of the cups a good go ;)
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #48: Jul 09, 2010 10:15:32 am
      A high profile, top class manager would want nothing to do with LFC at present. No transfer funds means he'd have to work wonders with a very average squad. Expectations are high so it's almost certain that any manager will fail under these circumstances and no one with a future in the game would want their reputation tarnished. Roy's appointment (which I happen to think is pretty good), is clearly a short term fix to get us through a rough patch hence his short contract. The guy's approaching retirement age so his appointment is hardly seen as the future of LFC. His reasonable wages and short contract means it will be easy to offload him if the club's new owners decide that they want someone else in place.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #49: Jul 09, 2010 10:41:38 am
      The positive I take from Roy is he has the style of management that may get the best out of the british players. Benni was v.business like from what I heard and perhaps when the team needs that type of morale boost especially mid winter games away from home the spirit may be better amongst the players to dig deeper.

The rest I think false dawn, I do not see Roy as better in the transfer market, can not see him as a better tactian, cant see him commanding the respect of world class players whatever the press says.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #50: Jul 09, 2010 01:28:36 pm
      How Roy Hodgson is delivering on his 'no-BS' promise to secure Liverpool's future

When Roy Hodgson arrived at Anfield he admitted there would be no attempt to bull**** players during his reign.

The new Liverpool boss was as good as his word last week in talks with skipper Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, telling them there was no magic wand he could wave to put right the problems of the past year.

But crucially Hodgson offered hope of significant investment in fresh talent this summer, even if funded by the sale of some of the squad who did not perform in the previous campaign.

He echoed chairman Martin Broughtonā€™s words of last week, when the City big-wig suggested a process was under way which will ultimately lead to the sale of the club, perhaps as early as the end of autumn.
      Click here to find out more!

The ramifications of that are obvious ā€“ rescue from the tyranny of a debt-based regime that is Ā­crippling finances and stunting Ā­development. The first requirement of any new owner will be to start as soon as possible on a new stadium which underpins plans for the future. It is far from a done deal, but could still be enough to persuade the biggest Liverpool stars to give it one more season.

Gerrard and Carragher are thinking that way. The latter said he backs Hodgson and will not be going anywhere, while the skipper went on holiday offering an Ā­assurance he is not thinking of leaving.

Such a commitment is crucial to Hodgsonā€™s long-term plans.

ā€œObviously Steven and Jamie are the playing heartbeat of the club and itā€™s very important we keep people like that,ā€ he said yesterday. ā€œI was very happy to meet the players and, of course, Kenny Dalglish too, who I already know so well.

ā€œI was delighted to see how positive they are. Everyone is looking forward to the new season, and Iā€™m Ā­confident they will remain here.ā€

If Gerrard and Carragher are on board, backed by Dalglish in a new role responsible for player Ā­development at all levels, it will send a powerful message to the rest of the squad.

Hodgson knows Fernando Torres is key. Barcelona have been ruled out of any pursuit of the Spain forward, although it is apparent Chelsea are poised to make a bid.

But Hodgson believes he can persuade Torres to stay, and see how the season unfolds.

ā€œFernando is a wonderful striker and I understand the fansā€™ concerns about his future,ā€ he said. ā€œWith the World Cup still on, I wonā€™t be able to meet him face to face for another few weeks. When I do, Iā€™ll be doing everything I possibly can to convince him Liverpool is the place to be.

ā€œIf he sees progress, Iā€™m Ā­confident he wonā€™t want to go anywhere else. I think he understands the club and the city.ā€

Hodgson too, understands the history of Liverpool. He knows morale is low, but knows how to put that right.

ā€œIt would be foolish to dismiss the importance of team spirit,ā€ he said. ā€œThe Liverpool sides of the 70s and especially the 80s achieved greatness because all the players had similar values to one another on and off the pitch.

ā€œThatā€™s been the strength of the club for so many years and was the mantra which took it so far and made it one of the most important football Ā­institutions in the world.

ā€œIā€™m not comparing myself to Shankly ā€“ nobody can ā€“ but I buy into his view when it comes to managing a successful team. Itā€™s vital all the players are fighting for the same cause. Itā€™s my job to find the right combination of players to bring success back to Liverpool.ā€

Click Here For Article

Well then, whether the majority of fans are happy with Roy's appointment or not, he is certainly making the right noises. I for one am pleased to hear what he has to say, what cannot be questioned is that Roy identifies with us. He knows what makes us tick and i'm very hopeful for the new season. Some people may call it blind faith, but i choose to call it belief. Roy is definitely sounding like he is putting us in the right direction.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,650 posts | 3882 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Jul 09, 2010 02:13:00 pm
      ā€œIt would be foolish to dismiss the importance of team spirit,ā€ he said. ā€œThe Liverpool sides of the 70s and especially the 80s achieved greatness because all the players had similar values to one another on and off the pitch.

ā€œThatā€™s been the strength of the club for so many years and was the mantra which took it so far and made it one of the most important football institutions in the world.

ā€œIā€™m not comparing myself to Shankly ā€“ nobody can ā€“ but I buy into his view when it comes to managing a successful team. Itā€™s vital all the players are fighting for the same cause. Itā€™s my job to find the right combination of players to bring success back to Liverpool.ā€

Making the right noise alright. I actually felt upbeat for the first time regarding our campaign, after reading that in the paper today.

Then I remembered we still have the same owners and reality kicked in again. :(
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,595 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #52: Jul 09, 2010 02:16:38 pm
      Let's hope we make the right noises on the pitch.

We have a very good squad, and some very good youngsters, If we have a good season Injury wise, I think we will have a cracker !
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #53: Jul 09, 2010 05:34:58 pm
      Lot of doom and gloom on here, I think he will do OK, he's never had so many good players to work with before.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #54: Jul 09, 2010 10:10:49 pm
      Lot of doom and gloom on here, I think he will do OK, he's never had so many good players to work with before.

That is what I'm excited about (there is not much) if he can prove himself with the big players, we will know early on with Arsenal and Man City.......
      sweetmoll
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #55: Jul 10, 2010 11:11:44 am
      a first class post
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #56: Jul 10, 2010 12:36:47 pm
      Okay, so you first compared Rafa to Roy? You think Rafa is far better. Let me tell you a few things so maybe you change your mind:
      1. Roy was voted as the "Best Manager of the Year" by the F.A. I'm sure if there was a "worst manager" award no body would take it but Rafa.
      2. Roy reached the E.L. final while Rafa reached the semi-final. In the same competition, Roy was better though he had in his squad no match for Masche, Gerrard, Reina, Torres, etc.
      3. Roy won 3-1 when the two teams met at Craven Cottage. He managed to get a draw at Anfield.

It's been a long time since we had an English manager. Rafa discovered many Spanish gems; Reina and Torres to mention a few. Spain now reached the final. We all saw how much talent the English team was lacking in the World Cup. This is because this is what we do in England, we keep buying foreign players till we made LFC a Spanish club in Rafa's reign. This has never happened in the history of football.

We, as an English club, would love to see an English manager leading Liverpool to success. We love to see English players on the pitch. As a big club in England, we have a "moral" responsibility towards English players. Remember that the Spanish team's success is due to Barcelona's success.

Certainly a New Era!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #57: Jul 10, 2010 12:50:49 pm
      Okay, so you first compared Rafa to Roy? You think Rafa is far better. Let me tell you a few things so maybe you change your mind:
      1. Roy was voted as the "Best Manager of the Year" by the F.A. I'm sure if there was a "worst manager" award no body would take it but Rafa.
      2. Roy reached the E.L. final while Rafa reached the semi-final. In the same competition, Roy was better though he had in his squad no match for Masche, Gerrard, Reina, Torres, etc.
      3. Roy won 3-1 when the two teams met at Craven Cottage. He managed to get a draw at Anfield.

You cannot compare two managers on the basis of one season alone.

Funny how you only mention the bad season, isn't it? Logic. Flawed.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #58: Jul 10, 2010 01:26:04 pm
      You cannot compare two managers on the basis of one season alone.

It's not "one season". It's the "last season". This is what matters, all else is history.
      In football, you can't have a 2nd chance at a big club. There are many top-class managers who want such job. We are proud we've given it to the one who deserves it best.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #59: Jul 10, 2010 01:35:32 pm
      It's not "one season". It's the "last season". This is what matters, all else is history.
      In football, you can't have a 2nd chance at a big club. There are many top-class managers who want such job. We are proud we've given it to the one who deserves it best.

If you don't give managers time, you will not get the best out of them?

Are you one of the idiots who would have sacked Rafa when we were 3-0 down at Istanbul? I bet if you were in-charge you would have tried. Thank F**k you're not.

And yes, it IS one season. So what if it's the last season, everyone's entitled to a bad one.

You talk about Hodgson taking his team to the EL final - Rafa took us to TWO European Cup finals, a League Cup final, an FA Cup final and a CL semi-final. All with a budget of less than Ā£15m a year.

Can any other managers do that? F**k no.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #60: Jul 10, 2010 02:07:18 pm

The one who deserved the job has been sacked,MA you have a very selective memory my freind you are prepared to accept a manger who got to the final of the europa leauge and lost,over a manger who made us a force in europe once more where us reds could travel the lands a take scalpes of europes finest clubs a manger who took us to 2 european finals winning one and 2 semi finals which were breath taking games.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #61: Jul 10, 2010 03:44:39 pm
      The one who deserved the job has been sacked,MA you have a very selective memory my freind you are prepared to accept a manger who got to the final of the europa leauge and lost,over a manger who made us a force in europe once more where us reds could travel the lands a take scalpes of europes finest clubs a manger who took us to 2 european finals winning one and 2 semi finals which were breath taking games.

To be honest Rafa had lost a lot of the Kop last season the moans and groans could be clearly heard, not to mention it had to be the worst atmosphere within Anfield in the 25 yrs I have been going and that was down to one thing the football we have played.
      Not going to go on about Rafa its quite clear he was and is a gentleman however to put him in the same picture as Paisley Shanks Kenny and Fagan is what I class as slightly offensive. Rafa was a diffent personality completely players would of run through walls for the other managers in your photo Rafa made to many enemies in his own side.

Do I think he had to go YES, had he lost the dressing room IMO YES had he lost the fans, there is still a split in fans but one things for sure the shouts of "rafa rafael" got quieter and quieter as the season went on.  
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #62: Jul 10, 2010 04:11:25 pm

To be honest Rafa had lost a lot of the Kop last season the moans and groans could be clearly heard, not to mention it had to be the worst atmosphere within Anfield in the 25 yrs I have been going and that was down to one thing the football we have played.
      Not going to go on about Rafa its quite clear he was and is a gentleman however to put him in the same picture as Paisley Shanks Kenny and Fagan is what I class as slightly offensive. Rafa was a diffent personality completely players would of run through walls for the other managers in your photo Rafa made to many enemies in his own side.

Do I think he had to go YES, had he lost the dressing room IMO YES had he lost the fans, there is still a split in fans but one things for sure the shouts of "rafa rafael" got quieter and quieter as the season went on. 

I think the moans and groans that you refer to were probabley directed at the players for the commitment they were showing on the pitch and not rafa and for you to state that he lost suppourt of the kop is very untrue,the biggest distraction we all know if we admit it was the boardroom and the broken promises of investment into the team which has a detrimental effect on player morale.

Anyway back on topic i hope roy waves his magic wand because we are gonna need it this season and what happens in this season has a long standing effect for the future of our club.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #63: Jul 10, 2010 04:29:32 pm
      I think the moans and groans that you refer to were probabley directed at the players for the commitment they were showing on the pitch and not rafa and for you to state that he lost suppourt of the kop is very untrue,the biggest distraction we all know if we admit it was the boardroom and the broken promises of investment into the team which has a detrimental effect on player morale.

Anyway back on topic I hope roy waves his magic wand because we are gonna need it this season and what happens in this season has a long standing effect for the future of our club.

Got to disagree slightly, I didnt say he lost the whole Kop however i would say it was bordering on the end of the Souness reign remember a lot of the old timers constantly bemoaning his decisions, also near the end of the season a few lads at the back tried to get the "Rafa Rafeal" chant going and were shot down. A couple of fellas nearly came to blows as well. To be honest the whole atmosphere last season was dreadful. And to pick you up on a point a lot of moans where at Rafa decisions yeah you right Lucas and Babel got stick on a regular basis as well, again part of the bad atmosphere.

Think i have said before i am quite looking forward to next season, back to simple football people playing in correct positions youth being given a chance etc. Hope Kenny stays and advises Roy accordingly on the style of football we all want to see. Last time I really enjoyed the football played at Anfield was under Roy Evans now that side should of won the league, lets Hope another Roy can bring back the good times.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #64: Jul 10, 2010 04:38:16 pm
      The atmosphere was terrible last season and you cant just blame the players for lack of effort or even the clown Yanks for that. We are Liverpool Football Club and in the past have have always pulled even closer together in bad times.

Rafa has gone and things have settled as well as they are going to for the time being with Roy being appointed. Looking back at last season in particular, I witnessed some of the most lack lustre Liverpool performances in 25 years supporting this club, with Portsmouth away being the lowest point and I honestly think that Rafa had started to lose it tactically and constantly playing players out of position.

I love the man for what he did for the club and he is up there with the greats for me, he truly understood the club and its fans and had to put up with so much sh*t from the board and its owners. But maybe if things go well off field with new owners, pending we keep the majority of our better players, this could be the start of a exciting new era....at least thats I hope.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #65: Jul 10, 2010 04:44:52 pm

We, as an English club, would love to see an English manager leading Liverpool to success.
      We love to see English players on the pitch.
      As a big club in England, we have a "moral" responsibility towards English players.

Is that right MOHAMMAD ?.

Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #66: Jul 10, 2010 04:49:33 pm

Do you think Mohammad isn't English by any chance? And if he isn't what has that got to do with it?
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #67: Jul 10, 2010 05:23:11 pm
      A new era.

I have faith whenever a new manager comes in. It is pretty silly to rule him out immediately even before he takes charge of our first game. Who knows he might turn out to be a legend, who knows if he's going to turn out better than Rafa, you'll never know. Life throws up surprises and we might be in for one.

But with our owners in charge it is very difficult for him to work well under the tightest of constraints. I still believe he will do a massively good job here because I have been impressed with him since he was at Fulham. And reading about how well he knows about the football club just further impresses me.

Here's to a successful season Roy.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #68: Jul 10, 2010 05:41:13 pm
      Quote of the month...I don't think it's the start of a new era which is nothing personal on Woy.Their will be no new era until Hicks and Gillet are gone !!

Quick Reply