Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Deja vu/Is this the season we win the league?

Read 3655 times
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 300 posts | 13 
      Deja vu/Is this the season we win the league?
      Jul 14, 2010 08:09:56 am
      To be honest I am sick of all the negativity in this forum(I am sorry). So to get all your positive energy needed to guide us to good things(God I sound like some yoga teacher) here is a strange thought that came to me when Spain won the world cup.

When we all saw celebration like this last time (that is Euro 08) First we were all happy, then came the transfer speculation(that time too chesick in for Torres), then the injury scares to Torres which was after the 1st match. Anyway my point is that we went on to have one of the best season in recent times only to finish second to the scums. Now its like deja vu this time only better. Spain won the world cup thats better than the Euro cup. the celebrations are more class than last time (Pepe Raina is like a professional party animal).
      Every thing is getting better even transfer talks and injury to Torres. So why not hope for a better season that is ahead of us. A season in which we are going to win the league may be the F.A cup too and the Europa league And many more.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010 11:04:51 am by Bpatel »
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Re: Deja vu/Is this the season we win the league?
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2010 11:16:42 am
      Loving your positivity
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2842 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2010 11:28:41 am
      I think Ive been among those that have stayed positive in recent weeks...but win the league!!!!! Return to the top 4 would be an excellent season
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2010 11:29:02 am
      I hope so, I am also very sick of being negative (As I am/was one of the negative barstards)!!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2010 11:30:57 am
      Last year on the pitch was a blip and was not a true reflection of the progress made in the previous 5 years.

Like many of us have said, we have pretty much the same quality starting XI that we had when we finshed 2nd (although admittedly the squad has been heavily trimmed in size - possibly too much).

With the impetus of a new manager there should be no reason why a team won't finish much higher than we did last season.

Although I wouldn't go as far as winning the league.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2010 12:03:13 pm
      Winning the league isn't realistic, but pipping Arsenal to 4th could be possible.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2010 12:07:10 pm
      Like as has been mentioned, we've got nearly the same team as back then.

The only concern is if our competitors have improved significantly enough.

I'm not sure if last season proves that they have, or whether it proves that last season was nothing more than a blip.

Hopefully the latter. I hope for top 4 again.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #7: Jul 14, 2010 12:17:06 pm
      Maybe all the bad events that we've endured is a good thing. The past years we've always said we can win the league. I've been thinking if we're going to win the league our players are going to want it, especially Gerrard. We have Torres, Gerrard, Reina, Aquilani, Jovanovic, Maxi, Kuyt, very exciting youth players. Give us a left back and a solid replacement for Masch should he leave and all the potentials there for Roy to work to our advantage, and I think he can motivate the team to do so.

Number 19 this season!
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 14, 2010 12:26:43 pm
      Hopefully for us.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Jul 14, 2010 12:27:50 pm
      To be honest with Man City strengthening, Tottenham strengthening, Chelsea strengthening, Arsenal strengthening and United strengthening, it's going to be a real fight to get back into the top 4 and that's what I'd take right now before a ball is kicked 4th place, anything higher is massive bonus.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #10: Jul 14, 2010 02:13:18 pm
      I cant be positive until the Yanks have gone. But if Aqualini is fit, Jovanovic is decent, we get a winger and a decent left back.......I am hopeful we can stick with the pack.....be happy if were in the hunt come March.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #11: Jul 14, 2010 02:13:49 pm
      If we sign Joe Cole and get Defour then yes we will.

Like Torres said we need 4/5 class signings.

So no James Beattie's or someone like francis jeffers.

If we strengthing our team why not? Even if we don't then we go from where our weaknesses are and improve as a unit and challenge every season to that blood is shed. Live for the crest, Die for the crest in my eyes
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #12: Jul 14, 2010 02:48:25 pm
      Everyone has to want to win each and every game, no matter against who we are playing. The players have to want to play as good as possible. If they give everything they have, I believe that we should be able to beat allmost every team in the world.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Jul 14, 2010 03:00:03 pm
      Of course we can win it.

We're Liverpool.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #14: Jul 14, 2010 03:51:56 pm
      Of course we can win it.

We're Liverpool.
      Nice one Res, Last season is history, This is a new era a new dawn, I think aiming for a CL spot is a must, Anything else is a bonus IMO, We must get up there in the top 4 otherwise Roy will be under even more pressure from the media bully boys, I think that will be his sole aim, But deep down and behind the scenes he'll be hammering home the message that the title is there for the taking, and i cant see why not, Like many posters have said already last season was a blip, We are not a bad side we have alot of positives and i believe we will be somewhere near our best by Oct, Fingers crossed, The usual suspects will be contesting as normal with Citeh, Yids under increasing pressure to sustain the form they produced last term, Chelski a ageing side and dependant on summer signings could struggle, Manure again a ageing side who depend too much on Granny shagger will always be there or thereabouts, The Goons for me are the dark horses especially if they can keep Cesc, But LFC, I can see us being more consistant, being more confidant, playing in more positive frame of mind, More offensive and back to the old ways of pass and move, Knocking the ball about for fun, Having players in their proper positions and being able to read what the next move could be, I am getting increasingly encouraged the more i think about the style of fooball Roy will want from his players a style suited to LFC, I cant wait for the season to start, My only concerns are we need to keep injuries down to a minimum especially to our key players, ie Gerrard, Torres.  C'MON YOU REDS.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #15: Jul 14, 2010 04:54:23 pm
      Our Results against the big four, aswell as Villa, Spurs and the Bitters will decide wether we finish 1st or 7th. I hope we can do better this season against them.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #16: Jul 14, 2010 05:03:47 pm
      Loving the positivity weshall_kop. While i understand that we have near enough the same squad as we did when we did well over a year ago, a lot of the players condfidence has been shot after last season and there is a certain amount of uncertainty around the club at this time, with players being linked to other clubs etc.

Orchard Red made a good point that our results against the top 4, aswell as Villa, Spurs and Everton, will decide our season. Get good results against them means that those teams drop points whiloe we gain, giving the lads a bit of confidence.

If we get good results against them, who knows what we can achieve. However, personally, with our limited squad, i think a 4th place finish is acceptable.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #17: Jul 14, 2010 06:24:08 pm
      I love your positivity and i see where you are coming from!

Good post.

I expect a better everything than last season!
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #18: Jul 14, 2010 06:52:52 pm
      Hope there wont be any beach balls(didn't mean to be rude) this time around. We may need that luck factor going for us too.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,397 posts | 2823 
      Reply #19: Jul 14, 2010 07:02:02 pm
      Of course we can win it.

We're Liverpool.

F***ing spot on.

Keep the big lads and we can win the league next season. We just love the tag of underdogs don't we. ;)
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #20: Jul 14, 2010 07:39:12 pm
      Of course we can win it.

We're Liverpool.

That is exactly what we need POSITIVITY instead of negativity, thats what killed us last season, everytime we played every single person expected us to get beat regardless of who we played.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #21: Jul 14, 2010 08:26:22 pm
      Don't know about the league.

I wouldn't have expected Rafa to have won it. The financial constraints we've been under for years now are crippling compared to the other top clubs.

However, if the spine of the squad remains, I would have expected Rafa to guide us to a top four spot, and I will be expecting the same from Hodgson. He's inheriting a strong starting XI which, if injuries don't hit us as hard as last season, is up there with the best.

Add to that they are experienced winners in the Spanish element, and the long term Scousers Gerrard and Carra know what it takes.

I won't be expecting a title challenge - though obviously it would be fantastic - but our 7th finish last time was due to a large number of factors I wouldn't think would accumulate two years in a row.

Clearly everything depends on keeping our best players in the summer - Roy's first test.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Jul 14, 2010 09:06:29 pm
      I don't see it as being negative when you have a new man at the helm and now I wait and see, but and this is my opinion it's what he does with players already here and how handles the likes of Torres and Co. I will say here and now I don't rate the guy, the only side he has done anything half decent with is Fulham and that was only for one season, He once managed Inter, now their was an opportunity for a good manager, a sleeping giant but Roy had one average season and one poor one, his record don't exactly stand out or say ''here I am come and get me'',well the board have chosen and all we can do is hope Roy has more up his sleeve than he's shown before.

Quick Reply