Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Brad Jones (Liverpool -> Bradford City)

Read 90355 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Brad Jones Player Thread
      Reply #230: Nov 13, 2012 10:56:25 pm
      The brutal truth is Pepe Reina has been sh*t for 2 seasons now. Nearly every shot on target has gone into the net in that time. He has one of the poorest shot per saves ratios of all the premier league keepers in those 2 seasons.

High time for a shake up IMO.

If you have time, read this from EPL Index from March 2012 (after loss to Wigan). It looks at Pepe's shots-per-save ratio and who is in/out of the side in the back line. It's kind of lengthy.

http://www.eplindex.com/12172/reina-compared-rivals-liverpool-defence-analysis.html
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #231: Nov 13, 2012 10:57:40 pm
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #232: Nov 13, 2012 10:59:13 pm
      I think for someone who nobody had any hopes for , Brad has performed above expectations. 
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #233: Nov 13, 2012 11:00:24 pm
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #234: Nov 14, 2012 05:19:32 am
      Some people are laughable. Every keeper bends his knees when expecting a shot because that what you do when you're gonna F***ing jump. Or have you seen any keeper staying straight up while waiting for a shot? So after that he got a missile flying his way from maybe 4-5 meters away. Had no reaction time. And still he did bad because he "ducked". Really...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #235: Nov 14, 2012 08:36:02 am
      Fair play if he was 6th last season, I know the season before he was down in either 12th or 14th according to Opta. One thing is for certain though, he is certainly in decline.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #236: Nov 14, 2012 08:51:34 am
      Bring back Ocho

I have no issue with Jones as a no.2, he is a good back up but I feel less assured with him in goal...

Pepe needs to get his confidence back, hopefully this extended break has got his head straight.

If he is in decline then we need to look for a new no.1 as Jones isn't good enough for that in my opinion.
      Pepe has plenty credit in the bank for me though and I rate him very highly
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #237: Nov 14, 2012 09:42:08 am
      Some people are dead set bellends. You can't forerver hide behind sentiment you need to look at stats hard, cold stats that indicate Pepe has been on the decline, even by his own admission. Brad has done well enough to retain his place for now there is no need to discredit him and say he is there purely because of luck or chance. Long may his run continue hopefully it will force Pepe to pull his finger out.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #238: Nov 14, 2012 09:56:18 am
      Just because someone has a different opinion surely doesn't make them a bellend?

All about opinions.

If you think Brad is better and deserves to keep his place then that's your view and utterly valid

If someone else feels Pepe is better and is still no.1 then that is valid and their opinion

Neither opinion should be classed as a bellends opinion

Surely we are here to debate not insult?

The only opinion that really counts is the managers.
      sandale
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #239: Nov 14, 2012 11:10:56 am
      I like Brad Jones, but I prefer Pepe Reina as number 1 anyway!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #240: Nov 14, 2012 11:17:20 am
      I was not reffering to you PD mate.

I was referring to those who are blatantly ignoring facts and going out of their way to pile sh*t on to Jones.

A very clear agenda is apparent. Kind of get sick of it at times.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #241: Nov 14, 2012 12:05:01 pm
      It wasn't really meant at you for the broader point Dado mate, you're sound.

I just don't get why people get so hung up on their own opinions, they're opinions not fact.. I come on here for alternate views to my own, if I just wanted someone to nod and agree with me I'd talk to the mrs who would do so just to shut me up..
      I have strong opinions but they aren't necessarily right, I often come away from here thinking that I'd not looked at it from that point of view, good point..
      I just don't get some who if you disagree with their view get Mardy and abusive and repeat it constantly thinking if they do that you will eventually agree with them.

We all support the same club, I understand some things lead to tensions but it seems at the moment people will fall out over any little difference of opinion.

Different opinions and views are great for me..

On topic

I can utterly see why people think Brad deserves to keep his place I really can... I just don't share that view once Pepe is fully fit... But if Brad stayed as no.1 for the manager I could see why
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #242: Nov 14, 2012 10:21:44 pm
       :nod:

I just don't get why people get so hung up on their own opinions, they're opinions not fact.. I come on here for alternate views to my own, if I just wanted someone to nod and agree with me I'd talk to the mrs who would do so just to shut me up..

Agreed, dear  :nod: :nod: :nod:
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012 10:32:27 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #243: Nov 14, 2012 10:30:30 pm
      I agree Pepe needs competition, just not from a 30-year old professional bench warmer. I like the guy but he's just nowhere near Liverpool quality. I'd love him to prove the world wrong and become a class keeper at such a late age, but I just don't see it happening. Even in his best games, like vs Everton in the cup, I never had much confidence in him. He's clumsy and prone to big mistakes. I don't buy into that 'clean sheet' rubbish either, it's not a way to judge a keeper, but a whole defensive system. For example, Julio Cesar (now QPR gk) had one of the worst clean sheet rates in Flamengo history when he played in Brazil, but is still considered by many as the best keeper the club ever had - he was just unlucky to play with such poor squads. Jones had a couple of clean sheets in games Reina very probably would have had them as well, with nothing but routine saves, and then all of a sudden he deserved Pepe's place. Give it a break. We're talking about a Spanish international against a Middlesbrough bench warmer. It's not even fair to compare them.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #244: Nov 14, 2012 10:35:38 pm
      I agree Pepe needs competition, just not from a 30-year old professional bench warmer. I like the guy but he's just nowhere near Liverpool quality. I'd love him to prove the world wrong and become a class keeper at such a late age, but I just don't see it happening. Even in his best games, like vs Everton in the cup, I never had much confidence in him. He's clumsy and prone to big mistakes. I don't buy into that 'clean sheet' rubbish either, it's not a way to judge a keeper, but a whole defensive system. For example, Julio Cesar (now QPR gk) had one of the worst clean sheet rates in Flamengo history when he played in Brazil, but is still considered by many as the best keeper the club ever had - he was just unlucky to play with such poor squads. Jones had a couple of clean sheets in games Reina very probably would have had them as well, with nothing but routine saves, and then all of a sudden he deserved Pepe's place. Give it a break. We're talking about a Spanish international against a Middlesbrough bench warmer. It's not even fair to compare them.

Well said, very fair assessment.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #245: Nov 15, 2012 02:38:24 pm
      Pepe anyday, but Brad has been impressive in recent games in terms of saves.

I'll have to look at his poor distribution to be his main downside which is an integral part of how we currrently play. If he can improve on that then he should be a very nice deputy to have. I wonder what happened to Doni.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #246: Nov 15, 2012 04:27:10 pm
      Jones has done well when he's come in.
      Reaction keeper mostly. I do feel he can get caught out of position at times.
      That said, I've seen Reina do likewise this year.
      Doni and Jones I'd be looking to move on in the summer. You know, when we go back in to Swansea for Vorm.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #247: Dec 13, 2012 03:03:02 pm
      Jones extends Anfield stay
      Liverpool today confirmed that goalkeeper Brad Jones has signed a new contract with the club.

The Australian stopper, who was signed from Middlesbrough in 2010, has put pen to paper on a fresh long-term deal after making 10 appearances so far this season.

In total, the 30-year-old has featured for the Reds on 14 occasions, including in the FA Cup semi-final victory over Everton at Wembley in 2011-12.

Jones follows in the footsteps of the likes of Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger and Jonjo Shelvey, who have signed new contracts at Anfield since the arrival of Brendan Rodgers.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/jones-extends-anfield-stay

New contract for Brad. Happy for him, but a bit surprised from the club perspective in all honesty. My guess is Gulasci must not be developing as hoped.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #248: Dec 13, 2012 03:28:26 pm
      Excellent news. He's great back up for Pepe.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #249: Dec 13, 2012 04:43:08 pm
      How long is the contract?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #250: Dec 13, 2012 05:44:51 pm

The club very rarely reveals that info
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #251: Dec 13, 2012 07:17:57 pm
      Well in Brad. A deserved contract. Really pleased for his excellent service he provided in Reina's absence.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #252: Dec 13, 2012 07:28:46 pm
      Well done Brad, good to have you staying on.

Quick Reply