Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Joe Cole ban stands as Liverpool decline to appeal red card

Read 4262 times
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Re: Joe Cole ban stands as Liverpool decline to appeal red card
      Reply #23: Aug 17, 2010 11:42:08 am
      it was blatantly because we know the fa would screw us over and joe would miss the utd match
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24: Aug 17, 2010 11:45:27 am
      Wasnt reckless. Worth a yellow.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,656 posts | 3889 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Aug 17, 2010 12:36:54 pm
      Watch out Mancs. Cole is coming for you!
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #26: Aug 17, 2010 01:02:53 pm
      Not red but there was a foul ! FA would never accept this appeal. We dont want Joe Cole to miss United match thats why we didnt appeal ;)
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #27: Aug 17, 2010 02:21:22 pm
      I'm terribly disappointed that we did not appeal, but there were equally bad tackles from the opposition, particularly the leg that hit Kuyt on the chest. That must be painful. What did the damn referee do? Nothing! Kuyt should have rolled all over the field never to stand up again till the stretcher comes along. Hey, this is a very physical league and the arsenal player from the Russian playing his first game and trying to learn the physical side of things. What did the referee expect of Joe Cole in his home debut? Hug hug and kiss kiss with the opposition players on the field? And to rub salt to the wounds, the arsenal player was on the field in the second half, fresh as ever. We could see that Cole went in for the tackle with full determination and his momentum carried him all the way towards the player. It's was unfortunate that the referee was next to it. Need to give the referee a pair of glasses for far worst tackle on our players that he couldn't see.

I believe otherwise, we should appeal, we may not get the ban reversed in total, may be reduced by one or two games. It's a case of we need Cole more for the next 1 or 2 games, plus the game against the scums, instead of 1 against the scums.. Arsene Wenger already said it's not the worst tackle and the tackle was without malicious intention. We need to build on the momentum, we have a good start and we need Cole back for the next 1 or two games.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #28: Aug 17, 2010 11:37:40 pm
      Should never have been a red card, yellow yes, but never a red.

But what else do you expect with Martin Atkinson as a ref, the inconsistency of Referee's has begun already, after some of the diabolical refereeing decisions last season, you would have thought they'd have been on their toes a bit for the start of a new season.

Sadly not.

What made me very angry was the fact that the so called injured 'stretchered off'  dying player somehow managed to play all of the second half, doesn't quite add up to me that one  :mad:

paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #29: Aug 18, 2010 12:51:46 am
      Admittedly I've only watched an extended highlights package so far (will watch the full replay tonight)and I'm yet to see Arsenals bad tackles on your lads , but all I"m sayin is Coles tackle looked very bad and I can understand the ref reachin for the red card instead of the yellow one . Whether the ref was right in hindsight considering the Arsenal players went unpunished is irrelevant at this time , because the ref calls it as he sees it .
      Maybe I'm a little biased , maybe you lot are too and it is clouding our judgement ;)

Wilshire made two tackles which were just as bad, if not worse. Yet he got the benefit of the doubt because, as Andy Gray put it, "He's young". Rosicky made a worse challenge on Kuyt too. Even my brother who is a Man United fan pointed that out.

With a proper ref, Wilshire would've walked half way through the first half. Every time I've seen him play he's been a dirty b***ard. He needs to kick that into touch if he wants to be a top player.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #30: Aug 18, 2010 01:45:59 am
      Certainly not a Red card. Red card implies some Intent or overt aggressive action. Their was neither.

I did like Carragher getting in the refs face though.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #31: Aug 18, 2010 06:29:31 pm
      Can't believe we never appealed against this, should never have been a red.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #32: Aug 18, 2010 06:34:02 pm
      Wasn't never a red card. Unlike Wilshere and Rosicky, he didn't go in with his studs showing. He only caught the guy in between his legs.

He probably didn't have to make that challenge at the Arsenal corner but we love watching a player show his passion and he was just trying to impress us fans. Very unlucky, IMO.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #33: Aug 18, 2010 06:57:34 pm
      Had it been in the middle of the pitch it would have been a yellow card. But there was little to be gained in the corner of the pitch. Being beside the Arsenal fans didn't help either. Ultimately it was a stupid challenge by Joe, it just showed his frustration at his impact in the game, he was eager to impress. Its better to just accept the punishment and go to Old Trafford with a fresh and eager Joe Cole.

Quick Reply